Author Topic: BSG Off-Topic Thread  (Read 165385 times)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
BSG Off-Topic Thread
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:55:44 AM »
This thread is for posts that do not require an entire thread of their own. Yada yada, you know the drill by now.

Anyhoo, I just decided to make this because there wasn't any topic that really fit this post.

Check this out:
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/2900-whole-fraking-fleet-bsg-fleet-all.html

This guy made meshes of 24 BSG ships from Pegasus down to the Vipers. There are images of all the meshes together to scale and if you click the Photobucket link above the fleet pic you can see each individual ship.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 03:32:12 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: BSG Off-Topic Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 03:29:42 AM »
^^^Very nice indeed. 
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 08:13:41 AM »
Wow Pegasus has a fat ass.  Also, didnt Cloud 9 have projections on both sides?

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
I like the little human on the end. It puts things in perspective.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »
Fraking awesome!  8) 

Though I'm not sure I've seen one of those ships.  The one with the civie ships that's front end looks vaguely like Galactica's.

Wow Pegasus has a fat ass.

-Turns on radio, plays "Baby Got Back"-
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »
This may sound odd but, does the Viper Mk. VII have three guns.  I know they only show two firing on the show but the model looks like it has three.  This has been bugging me since the show started.  If it's not another gun then what is it?  High caliber cannon for anti-ship use?  Laser aiming/other fancy targeting system?  Missile tube?  ???
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 05:50:01 AM »
Yep, it's a third gun. It looks exactly the same as the two wing mounted ones so I doubt it's a more powerful cannon or anything.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 08:18:49 AM »
So do they not use it because it would waste ammo or (the real world reason) because it would be to hard to render all three firing?

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »
I have no idea.

According to the BSGWiki the third gun was either used or discussed in the episode "Scattered" (they use it as a reference but don't mention why),  but I'd have to go back and watch it again to be sure.

If I had to guess I would go for your second explanation, in that it's either easier to just render the ship firing two guns or that they just forgot that it has three guns.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 08:31:33 AM »
Firing three guns at a large stationary target, making a strafing run at a ground target or otherwise emptying three beltfed guns into something big or slow: Good.

Firing three guns wildly at a fast moving, low profile target that is armored and changes direction making you fire many rounds before hitting it: Bad.

Mark II Vipers fought the first Cylon Wars, bigger heavier targets and planetary assaults on Cylon positions.  Over time the gun probably became redundant for space dogfights and the feeding mechanism to the third gun removed or just never loaded.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 08:52:14 AM »
There have been a few other weapon-related oddities. We saw Pegasus firing what appear to be cannon held entirely within the hull such that only muzzle ends were visible; I have a sneaking suspicion these might have been intended originally as missile tubes.

Conversely, Valkyrie managed to fire a missile from what looked a lot like a cannon.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:10:25 AM by Stoo »

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 08:55:42 AM »
There have been a few other weapon-related oddities. We saw Pegasus firing what appear to be canon held entirely within the hull such that only muzzle ends were visible; I have a sneaking suspicion these might have been intended originally as missile tubes.

Conversely, Valkyrie managed to fire a missile from what looked a lot like a cannon.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that found that odd.  They looked to be pre-loaded, two Ship-Ship missiles, one in each barrel and for a small Battlestar maybe thats all she needs.  Jump in, let loose all 4, jump out.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 02:35:03 PM »
Well on the Valkyrie the cannon barrel acted as the missile tube.  In the old days of rocketry they used cannon barrels as rocket tubes.  My guess is that they have something to allow it to hold ship-to-ship missiles and cannon shells, maybe they temporarly disable the firing mechanism for the cannon when it fires missiles.  Maybe the same thing is true for the Pegasus.  :-\

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 01:37:34 PM »
I was looking over the views of the Galactica the other day, and it seemed that the Galactica (or at least ships in her class) is meant to be much more armor plated than how we see her on the show. Perhaps she was stripped prior to decomissioning.

Anyone else think so?
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 06:21:18 PM »
I think someone suggested that in the "Favorite Battlestar" thread IIRC.

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 02:26:25 AM »
That's basically the consensus, I think. In full armor, she would be more like Pegasus.
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 08:03:28 PM »
Get your own call sign.

Sure, it's for Blazing Angels, but the questions are still related to BSG. I got "Rocket"
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 08:13:19 PM by The Daft Punk »
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 08:18:20 PM »
Flipper...named after an effing dolphin.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 08:36:07 PM »
I got...cement.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 09:15:36 PM »
Rockstar! 8)
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 12:15:06 AM »
"Purple". It could be worse.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 02:02:18 AM »
"Cakeboy." That blows.

Aren't name generators that ask you a bunch of questions only to randomly choose a name that has nothing to do with any of your answers great?

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 05:14:54 AM »
I got "Camel"
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Suricata

• View Profile
    • Suricata's Artwork Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 01:31:25 PM »
I got 'Tornado', sounds good to me, definatly better than some of the ones you guys got :P
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 07:40:10 AM »
Flipper, Cement, Purple, Cakeboy, and Camel.  Yeah I'm sure those names with never come up in idle conversation.  Oh, Cakeboy :P ;D

Bow before Rockstar. 8)
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.