Author Topic: BSG Off-Topic Thread  (Read 165337 times)

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
Re: BSG Off-Topic Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »
3 ). No, I cannot send you an mp3 even if you pinky-swear that you'll never
share it with anyone else, or offer "a million dollars," "beer," "womens" or
"Uber cool hardware"

What if I offer him a million dollars, beer, womens, uber cool hardware, and Manticore?

He'd pay you not to.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2007, 05:06:26 PM »
Really? Well I could use the $5......
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2007, 09:35:23 PM »
4 ). The soundtrack album will also include the instrumental version of the
song when Tigh, Tory, Tyrol and Anders are wandering through the hallways.
Bitchin.  That guitar bit during the reveal was awesome.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »
Sort of interesting and coincidental: A video of the Exodus from New Caprica set to All Along the Watchtower that was created, or at least added to YouTube in November of last year.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 03:36:20 PM »
Let's get those birds in the tubes!

Something occurred to me today in an idle moment (lol staring into space at your desk get some work done Stoo). The vipers sit in some kind of maintenance bay beneath the open-to-space hangar. They have to be put in a tube for launching. But, how do they get there? They rest on simple skids, not wheels, so they can't be rolled over. Are they just dragged along the floor? Is there some apparatus to pick them up and cart them into position?

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 03:40:51 PM »
Well, we've seen them being moved into the tubes without horrible screeching sounds, so I think there must be some sort of dollys designed to fit closely around the main gear and wheel it around. I think the front gear has something built in though.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2007, 03:43:20 PM »
The skids are magnetic (as seen during the single landing sequence that they reuse over and over again). There are probably magnetic rails in the hangar floor that guide the Vipers to their launch positions.

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 07:05:11 PM »
Perhaps there's a Viper version of the trolley used for the Raptors. We might be able to see if there is something in the mini-series, when Lee leaves his Viper.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2007, 09:44:49 AM »
Moore Writing I, Robot Sequel

Collider.com talked to "Battlestar Galactica's" Ronald D. Moore who revealed that he's writing a sequel to Will Smith-starrer I, Robot:

The biggest news I got from him is in part 2. It seems that he's writing a sequel to the Will Smith movie “I Robot” and while I tried to get info from him on the story… he was silent. And at the end of the interview I went back to trying to get some info by asking about the budget and if he wrote it for a certain price tag? You’ll have to watch to get the answer.

He seems to have a thing for shows / movies with sentient robots.

It's good to hear that he will be taking "I, Robot II" on. I really enjoyed the first film despite it being more action-oriented than exploring the nature of the three laws in-depth, and hopefully he can make the next film more about exploring the concepts of the Asimov stories seriously.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:49:42 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2007, 12:43:19 PM »
Hopefully he wont use Will Smith.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2007, 04:46:12 PM »
Please, please make it more three laws oriented. It's been a while since I've seen a good ethics film.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2007, 04:08:29 PM »
Let's get those birds in the tubes!

Something occurred to me today in an idle moment (lol staring into space at your desk get some work done Stoo). The vipers sit in some kind of maintenance bay beneath the open-to-space hangar. They have to be put in a tube for launching. But, how do they get there? They rest on simple skids, not wheels, so they can't be rolled over. Are they just dragged along the floor? Is there some apparatus to pick them up and cart them into position?

I rewatched the miniseries last night, and the skids are indeed magnetic in nature. You can see the Vipers sliding along the floor and into position. So it's either magnetic rails or reconfigurable electromagnets.

Additionally, they had conventional forklifts dragging the Vipers behind them (but the skids still slid smoothly along the floor) when moving them around the hangar (but not when loading them into the tubes).

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2007, 06:58:31 AM »
The floor is probably a thin layer over a fairly magnetic mesh, with thin or rippled electromagnets in the skids fed by a battery in the main fuselage.  It would need to be a high voltage to create a magnetic cushion between the skid and the floor, under the weight of the Viper.  Or there could be rows of very small ABS Polymer wheels to let it move along the maintenance area, but using a strip of magnetic material between them to hold it to the landing strip floor.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2007, 02:35:21 PM »
Moore did an interview and mentioned some cool info about the Pegasus-centric TV movie:

Moore also remains attached to the remake of John Carpenter's "The Thing", and confirmed that "Razor" will be the title of the upcoming 'Galactica' TV movie.

Meanwhile one spoiler was revealed in a several minute promo screened from the TV movie - the old 70's series model Cylons make an appearance. Glimpses will also be seen of the first human/Cylon war during the TV movie. There's hope that promo will appear online soon.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070608j.php

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2007, 04:35:38 PM »
Awesome, i don't doubt that the TV movie will be great. I hope they release that promo online soon.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2007, 01:14:43 AM »
Moore did an interview and mentioned some cool info about the Pegasus-centric TV movie:

Moore also remains attached to the remake of John Carpenter's "The Thing", and confirmed that "Razor" will be the title of the upcoming 'Galactica' TV movie.

Meanwhile one spoiler was revealed in a several minute promo screened from the TV movie - the old 70's series model Cylons make an appearance. Glimpses will also be seen of the first human/Cylon war during the TV movie. There's hope that promo will appear online soon.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070608j.php

Sounds like its gonna kick major ass.  I miss having the beautiful Pegasus around so that'll be a bonus and the original Cylons!

Oh and just to make some of you jealous.

Got me a Titanium Pegasus!
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »
That sounds awesome! I've always been very curious for the first human/cylon war. I wonder how they'll intergrate it in the Pegasus story, though.
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »
How did you get the Titanium Pegasus?! I kept trying to find a place to order one but it wasn't even listed on the site of the company that makes them!

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »
I've got their version of the TOS Raider on my desk.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2007, 02:03:43 PM »
How did you get the Titanium Pegasus?! I kept trying to find a place to order one but it wasn't even listed on the site of the company that makes them!

Since the Titanium Series is an off-shoot of Micro-Machines by Hasbro, I'm surprised Hasbro's website doesn't have any in stock

BBTS is currently out of stock. Just keep an eye on the site, they may get it in.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2007, 02:37:01 PM »
Thanks, i'll be sure to keep checking back there.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2007, 09:19:01 PM »
That sounds awesome! I've always been very curious for the first human/cylon war. I wonder how they'll intergrate it in the Pegasus story, though.

I think they'll do it like a more extensive version of the history of the Cylons text from the beginning of the miniseries. It will act as a framework for the attack.

What would be really awesome would be if they had Adama and Sharon discussing the history of the Cylon War in his quarters, and then as they're talking pan the camera into his Cylon War painting and then fade into the actual battle. The whole story could be told in flashback and we could find out what Sharon was doing when the attack occurred, followed by the story of the Pegasus. Maybe she could have even been involved in the Pegasus attack, since she didn't need to be on Caprica until five or six days later to join up with Helo IIRC.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2007, 11:33:02 PM »

Amazon.com though it looks like I overpaid.  Ive seen a couple up over at Ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Titanium+Pegasus&category0=

Im hoping AA decides to do some starship legends style ships as I found out that the statue they did was a piece of crap.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2007, 02:14:02 AM »
Syfy Portal has some news spoilers for Razor.

http://www.syfyportal.com/news423777.html

Some interesting things there about Cain and Gina. ;)  Plus details about how exactly the old 70's style Cylons come into play.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:17:30 AM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2007, 02:34:51 AM »
^^^Sounds very very cool.  Im really glad that we'l get to see more about the Cylon war and all.  Im a little dissapointed that once again we're getting a sexual mish-mash of 2 characters but I like where this one leads too so its okay.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:36:44 AM by Razor »