Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer  (Read 78384 times)

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 08:16:44 AM »
Right, I thought I had done that but it's giving me an error and saying that it can't connect to the time server.  All it needs is an internet connection, right?
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline Viral

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 06:21:59 PM »
I have two guesses....

Either the CMOS battery is failing or you have a virus/spyware/adware/whatever-ware issue.

The CMOS battery is a little button cell (often CR 2032 or 2016) that saves the time, date and BIOS settings on the system whenever it's turned off - not unlike a watch. If the battery voltage is running low it can cause your time to run behind or progressively slower, depending on the system. Most systems only use the CMOS battery when there is no other power source, while others draw from it exclusively.

Either way, Windows pulls the time and date it saves from within the BIOS and uses that as its time and date 90% of the time. I'd try locating and replacing that first (on motherboard of a desktop, often behind the primary battery on a notebook) but if that fails to fix it, try running some scans using Spybot: Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, or any other anti-virus and/or anti-spyware utility. Probably cheaper to run through some scans first, but I'm guessing it's the battery. Beyond that it could be some weird OS problem with corrupt system files, but best to check these two first.
Once you leave the womb, conservatives don’t care about you until you reach military age. Then you’re just what they’re looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.
- George Carlin

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 07:34:51 PM »
Well I did the whole F10 BIOS thing and changed the time in there, only to find later that I was still traveling backwards in time.  I use Spy-Bot which hasn't pulled anything up.  I'm sending the whole thing (laptop, btw) back to HP anyway because they messed up the case and said they'd fix it, and "Joe" told me he would add this on to my file so they'd take a look at it when it came in.  Who knows if it'll come back in worse shape, but I'm really not computer-nerdy enough to know what I'm doing without someone talking me through it.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 02:13:51 PM »
Anyone know how to get Word to quit making text boxes "snap to" whatever invisable gridline it has?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 02:33:13 PM »
Make sure you have the Drawing toolbar open. (View>Toolbars>Drawing) On the toolbar, select Grid... and in the dialog box that pops up, uncheck the box that says Snap Objects to Grid. Click [OK] and you are done.
:p

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 03:18:02 PM »
Thanks, that did the trick. :)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2007, 11:05:33 AM »
Okay, I bought the Gamecube version of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess the other day and now I'm stuck at the entrance the the sacred grove.  I looked at some walkthroughs already and they said the only difference between the Wii and Cube versions was that the maps were mirrored.  I also howled at the stone for about an hour.  So all I have to do is howl at the stone right?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:32:49 AM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 03:12:49 AM »
Anyone else ever have trouble with sounds from Firefox not coming through their speakers?
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 06:26:20 AM »
Nope.

Have you added any new add-ons recently? If so check the troubleshooting sections to see if anyone else is having a similar problem. I find that often when my add-ons are updated it causes something else to screw up.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2007, 11:21:10 PM »
No add-ons as of yet. Just no sound of mouse clicks and some embedded videos. *shrugs*

On another note, what do people use for spyware/other stuff removing? Seems like my 'top is loaded with it and cashflow is slightly limited as of yet. As in pretty much non-existent.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »
Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122137.html
Ad-Aware SE - http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
Windows Defender Beta - http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

I recommend AVG Free as your antivirus; it's actually better than Norton. Find it here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

EDIT: just to be clear, you don't need the pay-for versions of any of these programs. They are all FREE.
:p

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 11:58:54 PM »
I use Spybot and Ad-Aware, so I can vouch for them. I will say that you'll catch more through Spybot on average then Ad-Aware, though.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2007, 07:37:44 AM »
On a somewhat related note, if any of you have firewall protection that is about to expire and you're looking for a free but effective alternative, PC Tools Firewall Plus 2.0 for Windows is absolutely free with no time limits or restrictions, and is very highly rated.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2007, 08:07:55 AM »
So a video editing question... I've got a bit of video (I have both mpeg-2 and avi formats), out of which I need to edit a small fragment which I want to use in a presentation. Does anybody know a free program that can do this? As I'm going to use it only once, a trial would be fine too, as long as it doesn't leave a nasty watermark or something. I've looked around but I can't find anything suitable. (Probably somebody is going to point out something very obvious soon  ;))

(Or if somebody would be so nice a do it for me :p)
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 09:05:07 AM »
This is freeware and seems pretty simple to use from the description (I just downloaded it myself but haven't tried it out):
http://www.solveigmm.com/?Products&p=AVITrimmer

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2007, 10:24:46 AM »
That did the trick! Muchos gracias.
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 04:30:52 AM »
I picked up Forza Motorsport 2 yesterday. Pretty good game, if you have a 360 and like racing games get it. Anyway, I just wanted to share a couple of pictures I took in the game:

First my two favourite cars:

Pontiac Solstice:
Side View
View of the hood, where I put a Bigfoot decal

1968 Chevrolet Camaro:
Side view showing the flames I added
Shot of the hood

Here's a couple of pictures I took during a race while driving my 1989 Toyota:
On the straight away. You can faintly see the second place car behind me. It's the black smudge.
About to cross the finish line.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 04:33:18 AM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2007, 10:08:46 AM »
This game looks like fun. It gives the old FPS in a labyrinth game a new twist.

Portal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb7aDZeO_MQ
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:12:01 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2007, 10:43:30 AM »
It takes the portal system from Prey, and makes it portable  ;D

Valve's portal engine looks cooler the Prey's though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:46:12 AM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2007, 11:38:12 AM »
Yeah, I've been drooling over Portal since they announced it.  And even better it will be free when you buy HL2:Ep2 so you get even more awesome Source goodness for your dollar.  Also note that its not a "shooter" per se, more of a platformer/puzzler.  Only gun you'll be getting is the portal gun and you'll play lab rat with the physics engine.  What I'm really interested in is how they're going to tie it into the HL2 story line.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »
I couldn't help but laugh at some of the maneuvers pulled off by the character and some of the narration.
"This next task is impossible." ;D

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2007, 04:32:42 PM »
I just know that I'm going to put myself into an infinite fall at least once.  "Aim exit at ceiling above me, aim entrance at floor below me.  Enjoy."

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2007, 02:38:54 PM »
I just finished playing "The Darkness".

Overall it's a good game. Guns + Evil Demon + Cool Tentacle Things + The Mafia = Fun times. It has the same feel as "Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay", which was a great game.

Pros:
 - Character Models are amazing. Especially Jackie, who,though has limited facial movement, is a very well done, nearly perfect, as is the NPCs
 - Lighting effects are pretty good
 - Darkness powers are a lot of fun
 - Roaming around a hell that is a twisted version of the First World War, is a nice break from modern day New York.
 - Small Sandbox play. Each section of the world allows you to explore, without forcing you in one direction.

Cons:
 - There are some small tears, here and there, when you look at some of the objects in the world.
 - Aiming can be difficult. You have to turn on auto aim, and the aim sensitivity way up, just so you can aim at all.
 - Everything is shiny. That's due to the Normal Mapping. Companies like Infinity Ward, id, Valve, and Ubi Soft, and many others, have figured out how to use Normal Mapping  without everything not looking like it's   covered in slime. Why couldn't this developer do it?
 - Walking is to slow, and there is no sprint feature. You have to walk everywhere.

For those of you who like the FPS Horror Genre, then pick it up. Everyone else, rent it first.
Overall I give the game 7.5 Devoured Hearts out of 10.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 02:40:31 PM by Xero »

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2007, 08:17:57 AM »
Okay I don't know if this belongs here but I don't even know what to do anymore.  Some of you know I was having problems with my laptop, getting that evil blue screen, etc.  I sent it back in a couple of times and they kept saying they fixed it.  It was irritating because every single time I had to reinstall all the programs and my data, but I was trying to be patient.

This has been going on for months now.  Since April, I think.  They have my laptop right now but they sent me an empty box last week, asking me to send them my laptop.  I flipped out and called to make sure they hadn't in fact lost it, but they said it was just a mix-up and they are in fact working on it.

Now I get this e-mail:

Dear Customer:

At HP our products are designed, manufactured and serviced, to meet our high standards. 

We apologize for the possible delay in delivery of your service; however, we are diligently working on expediting your order.

We are striving to meet our estimated delivery date; in case where this is not met due to various reasons, an HP representative will attempt to contact you to communicate a new date and/or discuss possible alternative support solutions that could better meet your needs. 

Please paste the link below into your browser to get shipment status updates and contact information:

https://warp1.external.hp.com/cso_status/order_lookup.asp

Or contact 1-800-HPINVENT, where we are always ready to serve you.

Please do not reply to this email message, it was sent from an address that is not monitored.

Sincerely,

HP Americas Consumer Support

No one has contacted me so far and I doubt they will.  What does that even mean?  Is it going to just take longer, or are they saying they can't fix it, or what?  Would calling and yelling at them have any effect?  I've been really patient so far except for the one time where I basically had to scold the guy and make him feel bad so he would send me a box.  Calling them wastes so much time too because I'm put on hold forever.  My warranty is up in about a month, so I don't know if I should extend that and waste more money.  Any suggestions?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2007, 10:19:13 AM »
After service like that? Cut your losses as soon as possible. I'd also track down someone you might know who's good with fixing PCs in your area, that way you can trust that whatever you need done won't be forgotten for 50+ other cases/sheer laziness on their part.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing