Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer  (Read 78402 times)

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer
« Reply #300 on: April 21, 2010, 11:32:23 PM »
I really wouldn't try to push the specs on the LCD... thats probably where your problems are coming from, try setting it back to default it should fix the problem. What do you mean make it look normal? And lose side of the screen?
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 21, 2010, 11:37:20 PM »
There's no way to set custom resolutions in Tiger (at least, none that I know of), so unless I want it super scrunched or stretched, I have to set it at that...OR I can set it for a res only a little larger than the 1344x1008 ( I think it was 1400x1050). Either way, the image only fills part of the screen; there's black deadspace on the sides that is being unused.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 27, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »
Right, SO.

I'm moving in about 3 weeks & my roommate & I were talking about internet. I really like my company, but alas, they have not yet set up operations in the Pittsburgh area, which eats ass. The only cable internet provider out there seems to be Comcast, which...NO. So we were talking about DSL maybe. The thing is, I can't find any comparative text on cable vs. DSL in terms of speed & upkeep & the like. Anyone have any info? Would it be worth it to pay extra for the SDSL rather than the ADSL?

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »
If your uploading a lot (probably not) then thats when you would want to shell out the extra cash, basically with ADSL your going to get faster download speeds and slower upload, lets say 10Mb down, 1Mb up.... with SDSL you would be getting 10Mb up and down... not really worth putting out the extra money for upload bandwidth that your really not going to need.

Most DSL your probably going to end up getting similar speed to your cable provider, atleast thats how it is around here...

RE: your previous post, that sucks about tiger not having the ability to customize the screen resolution. Any particular reason you haven't upgraded to Leopard
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:17:18 PM by Makaveli »
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »
Well, I tend to do a lot of torrenting at times...& B posts photos a lot online.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »
So do I, its really no big deal... a 1Mb upload ends up giving you about 120kb actual upload speed...

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »
Yeah, why IS that? Also, what do you know about FiOS?

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
Why is what? And FIOS is just fibre to the home, generally thats probably the fastest internet your going to be able to get, if you can afford it and do alot of downloading etc then its probably going to be able to give you more than you even need. I think I've seen FIOS as high as 100mb/sec...

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »
Alas, FiOS is not yet available in Bloomfield. I guess it'll be DSL, then...which will cost us. But that's the benefit of having someone else to help with the bills.

"Why" is "why 120kB or so when I'm told 1 MB." If I'm told & am paying for 1 MB, I want 1 fucking MB.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 27, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »
Bits and Bytes.... when they quote you a speed they quote it in bits not bytes, so to find out the actual speed divide by 8 (8 bits in a byte)... same thing goes for your network speed at home, your router might say its 100 Mb but transfer speeds across your network are gonna run at about 12 Megs a second....

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 27, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »
Bah!

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Unicorns, rainbows, and DVD/Blu-ray suggestions
« Reply #311 on: July 15, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »
Just wondering if some of you of the more videophile persuasion might have some suggestions here.

I finally got an HDTV (a reasonably priced new 42" Samsung Plasma, albeit a lower/midrange 720P model) and my awful, cheapass 9 year-old DVD player, which only outputs SD via composite, isn't really cutting it anymore - it's horribly slow and now being extremely picky with otherwise pristine-looking discs, and obviously isn't providing much awesomeness to the new TV.

My original thought was to buy a base model PS3 - I'd be able to play a few titles I can't get for my Wii, play Blu-ray discs, and have a decent upconverting DVD player.  However, the cost is more than I want to pay (particularly for a Sony product) and I'm not sure if I care that much about the gaming features these days.  Still, the PS3 does everything, and allegedly does it well.  It seems like potentially the best longer-term investment.

A Blu-ray player seems to run about $150-200 CDN, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to bother right now, while Blu-ray isn't yet ubiquitous, especially since my set is only 720P.  I'll be able to get new stuff on Blu-ray in true HD, but I'd still have a sizeable standard def library sitting around anyway.

Lastly, I see some humble upconverting DVD players for around $60-70.  This seemed like a fairly safe bet, but money is money and I wonder if I'm just better buying a Blu-ray player and being done with it. 

Anyway, I'd appreciate the advice and cost/benefit suggestions.  I've done some Google research, but I'm seeing a lot of contradictory posts on whether an upconverting DVD player is really worth the money or not - some seem to suggest cheaping out on a lesser DVD player is fine and that the TV will ably take care of the upconverting, and others point to it as being a waste/band-aid solution in comparison to just buying Blu-ray.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:00:20 PM by Broken Subspace Scene »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #312 on: July 15, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
Personally, I would get a PS3 (or a 360), just to have it to play games, rather then for Blu-ray/DVD, which I think is a waste of money and probably always will be.  I wouldn't buy anything I already haven on DVD on blu-ray, no matter how much better it might look, and considering the growing trend towards streaming content, like Hulu and Netflix, my movie and tv purchases have dwindled to almost zero. I no longer see the need to own something (on any format) if I can go online and watch it anytime I like.

But that's just me and I don't claim to be a videophile by any means.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2010, 09:51:08 AM »
Well, I have two reservations about streaming services: first, they are entirely dependent on having an internet connection, so if, for instance, a roadworks crew putting up streetlights outside you house happens to dig up your cable, you'll have no way of watching anything. Second, none of those streaming services deliver to small, european countries (this is one reason I don't like americans).

Other than saying that whether or not an upscaling DVD-player is worth the cost depends heavily on how good your TV is at upscaling, the only thing I can say is that the benefits are only worth the cost if you're going to use the benefits. The PS3 is a very capable jack-of-all-trades, with a bit of work, it can even be brought to play vidoes from your home network, or hook on to those streaming services you americans are so excited about. However, if you're only going to watch DVD's with it, it's not worth the expense. Same goes for a blu-ray player.

And of course, the PS3 isn't the only way to get streaming services on you tv, if you descide to give blu-rays a miss (pesonally, I like having something standing on a shelf that can't disappear overnight). There's this.
Steady on.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
Thanks.  I'm not sold on streaming right now either - unfortunately, we don't have nearly as robust options as Hulu and Netflix up here.