Author Topic: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer  (Read 78383 times)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic Discussion - Direct Ask & Answer
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2007, 01:21:47 PM »
That's just a standard BS form-letter email that's automatically generated when there's an issue. It has nothing specifically to do with your computer.

It sounds to me like HP can't fix the problem, so what they're going to do is delay returning it to you as long as possible so that when the failure happens again your warranty will have expired and you won't be able to send it back in to get replaced unless you sign up for a new warranty. I think you need to get on the phone with them ASAP and demand to speak to a supervisor rather than a standard customer service rep. They're probably going to dick you around and keep switching you off to different people and putting you on hold forever each time so you get frustrated, but stick with it.

You need to demand that they replace your laptop free of charge immediately. If you keep having to reinstall everything than you might as well just get a new computer anyway, right? If they were a company that is worried about their reputation for customer service, they will replace it. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like they care.

If they say no to replacing it, tell them they've lost a customer, that you're going to tell your hundreds of friends online never to buy an HP computer, and threaten to take the issue up with the Better Business Bureau. That probably won't convince them, and unless you're willing to take them to court (which hardly anyone is willing to do over something like this) they know that they can screw you with impunity unfortunately. 

But regardless of what happens, if this is the type of service you get from them, do not renew the warranty under any circumstances. Take it to a private repair company to get it fixed, if possible, and if it's not unfortunately you might just have to get a new (non-HP) laptop.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 01:25:09 PM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2007, 09:48:25 PM »
^^^ Yeah, I was just a bit surprised to get that e-mail because I hadn't gotten it any of the other times I sent my laptop in.  I know I probably need to spend the whole day on the phone again and yell at them, but it's so frustrating.  They pass off the call from one person to the next, refuse to give out any sort of employee ID, and contradict each other.  Sometimes they even act like I'm lying and say that they show that I only sent in the computer once and the problem was successfully resolved.

Maybe I'll give it another shot and if nothing else, just give in and buy a new laptop from someone else.
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2007, 01:10:00 AM »
Considering their "service" I think I'll avoid HP's products.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »
^^^ Yeah, me too. That just put me off of HP forever. Companies that don't provide polite and reliable customer service in the age of the internet where every person has the opportunity to badmouth their service to potentially thousands of people are idiotic.

Maybe I'll give it another shot and if nothing else, just give in and buy a new laptop from someone else.

But remember, don't even bother asking them to fix it this time because that'll probably just result in it failing again after the warranty expires. Just ask for a new laptop since you had to replace all your stuff on it anyway.

That runaround on the phone crap is exactly what Verizon did to me when they set up shitty a shitty DSL connection at my house. I'll never use Verizon again. I have Roadrunner cable internet now and have never had a problem.

These links are short and funny but sum up the experience of dealing with Verizon DSL support perfectly:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/lies-verizon-dsl-support-has-told-me-today-104900.php
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/lies-i-have-told-verizon-dsl-support-today-104903.php

If you do wind up getting a new computer, you might want to go with Dell. Their computers are reliable but aren't anything spectacular, but Dell customer service has always been outstanding for me. If you're just looking for a normal day-to-day use computer and not some super-fancy tech guru laptop with a bunch of bells and whistles, I would highly recommend Dell simply for their excellent service and support. They've always answered my questions to my satisfaction; politely and quickly, they're very good about repairs or exchanges and don't haggle you, and their prices are very reasonable.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:45:21 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2007, 01:09:55 PM »
^^^ Oddly enough, I went through HP this time because I had previously owned a Dell and had pretty bad experiences with it.  I had hardware problems with it and had to have it replaced twice.  The third time the computer had to be replaced, they didn't want to do it because my warranty had expired less than a month earlier.  I made the customer support guy look up my whole history of problems and chatted him up about being Indian until he finally relented and sent me a new laptop.  My sister had a similar experience with Dell so we got HP laptops together but they've treated her even worse than they've treated me.

Maybe I'm just cursed when it comes to computers.   :-\

Anyway, didn't mean to complain lots, I was just getting a bit panicky and frustrated.  I'm definitely not going to continue the warranty.  Thanks for the advice!

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2007, 02:25:35 PM »
^^^ Oddly enough, I went through HP this time because I had previously owned a Dell and had pretty bad experiences with it.  I had hardware problems with it and had to have it replaced twice.  The third time the computer had to be replaced, they didn't want to do it because my warranty had expired less than a month earlier.  I made the customer support guy look up my whole history of problems and chatted him up about being Indian until he finally relented and sent me a new laptop.  My sister had a similar experience with Dell so we got HP laptops together but they've treated her even worse than they've treated me.

Maybe I'm just cursed when it comes to computers.   :-\

Oh wow. I'm surprised to hear that regarding Dell. Yeah, maybe you just have had bad luck with it.

Was that the first time you had discussed being Indian with a call-center operator? Because I imagine that would come in handy given the number of support centers based there.

Anyway, didn't mean to complain lots, I was just getting a bit panicky and frustrated.  I'm definitely not going to continue the warranty.  Thanks for the advice!

No worries, your computer being on the fritz is a good reason to get ticked off, especially when you use it for business and pleasure as often as we do.

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2007, 02:58:26 PM »
Was that the first time you had discussed being Indian with a call-center operator? Because I imagine that would come in handy given the number of support centers based there.
It comes up almost everytime, except for the one time the call center was actually in Canada.  I don't have an accent so they don't usually pick up on it until I have to tell them my name and then they're usually excited about it and start making more conversation with me.

Back when I worked at the bridal store, we needed some support from the Quickbooks people so they handed me the phone and I talked to their tech support.  The guy was really nice and he helped us out right away, but then he took to calling the store and asking to speak to me.  He'd make some pretense of making sure that Quickbooks was still working for us.  It was really embarassing especially as I hadn't been working at the store long, but eventually one of the girls just told him I didn't work there anymore and he stopped calling.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »
You had a tech support stalker?

You should have just kept putting the phone next to a radio and play easy listening musak and then every once and a while have one of your friends pick up and say in a monotone voice "your call is very important to us, please hold for the next available operator."

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2007, 08:46:12 PM »
I'm sure one of the shitty local news stations in your area has some gimmicky "problem solvers" division. Try getting them in on this.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2007, 05:53:47 PM »
Anyone have any idea what would make my Run Command line go slowly? My computer is acting normal, but when I type a command into the run line, it types it very slowly. It's very annoying since I start almost all my applications and stuff from there.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2007, 02:23:19 AM »
A producer/reporter for Dateline NBC tried to do one of those hidden camera reports at the hacker conference DEFCON, but the organizers were tipped off and outed her at the conference. There's a YouTube video in the link:

http://www.ogpaper.com/news/news-0835.html

I guess the moral of this story is don't fuck with nerds.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2007, 02:25:07 AM »
A producer/reporter for Dateline NBC tried to do one of those hidden camera reports at the hacker conference DEFCON, but the organizers were tipped off and outed her at the conference. There's a YouTube video in the link:

http://www.ogpaper.com/news/news-0835.html

I guess the moral of this story is don't fuck with nerds.

Unrelated, but I'm still waiting for Chris Hanson to get shot in the face.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2007, 03:46:06 PM »
That's rather amusing, especially seeing her all flustered about being harassed on the way out. I mean, you were doing the same thing to them, and how do you feel about it?
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2007, 02:19:48 PM »
Okay I don't know if this belongs here but I don't even know what to do anymore.  Some of you know I was having problems with my laptop, getting that evil blue screen, etc.  I sent it back in a couple of times and they kept saying they fixed it.  It was irritating because every single time I had to reinstall all the programs and my data, but I was trying to be patient.

This has been going on for months now.  Since April, I think.  They have my laptop right now but they sent me an empty box last week, asking me to send them my laptop.  I flipped out and called to make sure they hadn't in fact lost it, but they said it was just a mix-up and they are in fact working on it.

Now I get this e-mail:

Dear Customer:

At HP our products are designed, manufactured and serviced, to meet our high standards. 

We apologize for the possible delay in delivery of your service; however, we are diligently working on expediting your order.

We are striving to meet our estimated delivery date; in case where this is not met due to various reasons, an HP representative will attempt to contact you to communicate a new date and/or discuss possible alternative support solutions that could better meet your needs. 

Please paste the link below into your browser to get shipment status updates and contact information:

https://warp1.external.hp.com/cso_status/order_lookup.asp

Or contact 1-800-HPINVENT, where we are always ready to serve you.

Please do not reply to this email message, it was sent from an address that is not monitored.

Sincerely,

HP Americas Consumer Support

No one has contacted me so far and I doubt they will.  What does that even mean?  Is it going to just take longer, or are they saying they can't fix it, or what?  Would calling and yelling at them have any effect?  I've been really patient so far except for the one time where I basically had to scold the guy and make him feel bad so he would send me a box.  Calling them wastes so much time too because I'm put on hold forever.  My warranty is up in about a month, so I don't know if I should extend that and waste more money.  Any suggestions?

Not to bring this back up too loudly, but I am quite firmly not surprised by this sort of "service" and "reliability" at all. I have been dealing with Hewlett-Packard's printers for quite some time. I will spare all of you the full-length story unless asked, but suffice to say that HP seems incapable of putting out a home-use (domestic? would that be the right word?) printer that does everything it "does" well or even reliably, for very long, and without paying through the bloody arse for ink. I think they sell the printers at a loss and then make all their money off the ink, which explains why it's $250 for what should be a $500 printer, but $30 for a tank of ink. >.< Not good business practices, IMHO. That said, I have heard that at least the older commercial printers (such as the LaserJet 4000, the classic elementary-school beige breadbox slow-as-**** printer) are rock-solid, and their computers used to be pretty good: up until Christmas 2003, Mom ran her law practice off of an HP Pavilion Pentium I 90MHz box made somewhere between 1997 and 1999 (in computer terms, this machine is a relic of a bygone age).

Upon request I can give a list of brands that I avoid (and why) and "solid" brands that I trust. Let me know if that would help (I will make a new thread for that).
:p

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2007, 09:48:09 PM »
2k Just released the entire orchestral soundtrack for Bioshock.  Go here and d/l it from the second post.  It apparently isn't the 40s music from the game though.

It's free and legal.

I so can't wait until I have money and a better computer so I can play this game.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2007, 12:22:55 AM »
From what I hear the PC version is having some serious problems.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2007, 07:44:58 PM »
Trailer for 'World in Conflict':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU74uWK_MmI

Badass.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »
Trailer for 'World in Conflict':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU74uWK_MmI

Badass.

Yeah, I'll have to check that out if I ever find employment. I'm still waiting for Spore as my true master, though...

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2007, 08:02:28 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the WTC in the background?
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
It's set in an alternate 1989 where there's a massive conventional & limited nuclear World War III between NATO & the Warsaw Pact.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2007, 08:13:15 PM »
Gotcha. Like a "Freedom Fighters" RTS.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2007, 08:57:17 PM »
It's set in an alternate 1989 where there's a massive conventional & limited nuclear World War III between NATO & the Warsaw Pact.

I thought it was set in the modern day in an AT where the USSR never fell?

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2007, 09:01:02 PM »
Huh, looked it up and it's in 1989. I dunno, kinda makes me less interested for some reason.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2007, 09:07:49 PM »
It looks good, but I'm more excited about End War. But then again I might end up pick up both PC and 360 versions of World in Conflict, like I did with Command & Conquer 3.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 09:33:10 PM by Bond, James Bond »