Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 100196 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 09:24:20 PM »
Where was the Tellarite designs?  ???  I didn't see any Tellarite designs.  Unless you're talking about the Tellarite officer.
The engineering officer, yeah. It's the "uniform concept art" on the second page of the orioginal link to the gallery. Is "design" the wrong word?

Well, uniform/alien appearance design maybe.  I just thought you were talking about a ship design.  :-[

EDIT: Oh crap, I just looked at the "galaxy overview" and the whole galaxy is "backwards." The Alpha Quadrant and the Beta Quadrant are on the wrong sides. I mean, the galaxy itself and the earth's position in it is exactly right (45 degrees "west" from the galaxy's central bar) and the AQ and BQ are at the bottom left and bottom right hand sides... but the image is showing the galaxy from the perspective of galactic north, which is roughly the opposite of Earth north (galactic south using the right-hand-rule). I could be wrong, but haven't other depictions of the galaxy in trek shown the view from the perspective of earth north instead of galactic north?

They switched the Alpha and Beta quadrants around on the map for the Voyager episode "Message in a Bottle". 

So technically the game is going by canon galaxy maps.  :P
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 02:12:53 AM »
They switched the Alpha and Beta quadrants around on the map for the Voyager episode "Message in a Bottle". 

So technically the game is going by canon galaxy maps.  :P

I'm looking for a map or screen capture that shows that, but everything I've found so far consistently shows the central bar bisecting the alpha and delta quadrants and are from the pov of galactic south. It's like they decided to flip the pov of the galaxy to galactic north (which is fine by me) but forgot to flip the political map along with it to keep them matched.

Then again, I probably shouldn't read too much into it since going by some of the discussion on that site, it was just an image slapped together for presentation and probably not representative of the actual finished product.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:28:53 AM by mark »
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 03:32:43 AM »
EDIT: Oh crap, I just looked at the "galaxy overview" and the whole galaxy is "backwards." The Alpha Quadrant and the Beta Quadrant are on the wrong sides. I mean, the galaxy itself and the earth's position in it is exactly right (45 degrees "west" from the galaxy's central bar) and the AQ and BQ are at the bottom left and bottom right hand sides... but the image is showing the galaxy from the perspective of galactic north, which is roughly the opposite of Earth north (galactic south using the right-hand-rule). I could be wrong, but haven't other depictions of the galaxy in trek shown the view from the perspective of earth north instead of galactic north?

Yep, you're right. Earth should be where the green circle is.

The only depiction of the galaxy on the show that wasn't from the galactic south was the galaxy map from Voyager's perspective in the Delta Quadrant.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 03:39:33 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »
I like the design, but I'd like it more if the back was the front and the front was the back. Nacelles that moved like this could have been a better design than what they gave Voyager.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2007, 07:03:15 PM »
And here is a link for a more brighter, and bigger version I made of the supposed next Enterprise:
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/1125/conceptshipstolx3.jpg
(at least it is hinted in the report from MMORPG.com, that this ship could be the next E)
What the fudge is that?  Its an Akira saucer, what looks like the secondary hull of an Intrepid... and I swear I recognize those nacelles.  Its a complete kitbash, and not even an attractive one.
Hmm, I didn't notice the size. I'd also imagine it more at a 70-90 m range. This does make it a bit small.
You didn't notice how little the thing was?  Look at the windows around the sides, it looks like its between the sizes of a Danube and the Delta Flier.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2007, 07:42:32 PM »
Yeah, that's the big ship I saw.

Wasn't any prettier in blown-up concept art either.

(I'm still kicking myself for not taking out my digital camera and taking some shots at the Perpetual booth at SIGGRAPH.)

And just to show how perceptive I am, Legion's post was two posts before the one where I described it. ::)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:45:39 PM by Manticore »

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 08:27:40 AM »
And here is a link for a more brighter, and bigger version I made of the supposed next Enterprise:
(at least it is hinted in the report from MMORPG.com, that this ship could be the next E)
What the fudge is that?  Its an Akira saucer, what looks like the secondary hull of an Intrepid... and I swear I recognize those nacelles.  Its a complete kitbash, and not even an attractive one.

For it to be a kitbash would require it to use actual parts from other ships; it does not. What it is is inspired by several different designs, a little Voyager, a little NX-01, a little Galaxy, a little Sovereign, some Ambassador nacelles, etc. It's quite common for Trek ships to be designed with features from their predecessors.

Here's a quick sketch of what I think it looks like, using a lot of extrapolation.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 11:04:58 AM »

For it to be a kitbash would require it to use actual parts from other ships; it does not. What it is is inspired by several different designs, a little Voyager, a little NX-01, a little Galaxy, a little Sovereign, some Ambassador nacelles, etc. It's quite common for Trek ships to be designed with features from their predecessors.

Here's a quick sketch of what I think it looks like, using a lot of extrapolation.

Honestly Bond, I think you got it wrong.  The secondary hull is much too bulky in yours.
I'll do my rendition of it when I get home to my graphics software (I'm at work at the moment).

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 11:29:19 AM »
Okay, I had a few minutes break here at work (I have my 3D software here to work with during lunch), so I whipped mine take on what this ship looks like up in really rough 3D so I could match the angles of the picture and then show the orthos without worrying about distorting them by drawing them incorrectly:

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 11:37:33 AM »
The neck is a lot longer than you guys are portraying it (assuming it's the same ship).  I'll try to do up a sketch based on what I remember, after I'm done with classes.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't going for precision or anything, hence it being a "quick sketch" and an "extrapolation."

I like yours better though obviously.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 11:50:35 AM »
Yeah, my only problem with his is that there's a longer neck and I think the nacelles are too long.  That, and the saucer's a full ellipse.

This is one top-heavy, mofo-ugly ship.

Offline Viral

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »
To me it looks like it has a very long and relatively slender neck with the secondary hull limited to the space at the very rear between the nacelles. And I agree with Manti; the nacelles look rather stubby. If you look at the full-sized pick it looks like the plasma vents are streaking behind the ship, and the actual nacelle length is approximately the same as the saucer size front to back, if not smaller still.
Once you leave the womb, conservatives don’t care about you until you reach military age. Then you’re just what they’re looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.
- George Carlin

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »
Okay, I had a few minutes break here at work (I have my 3D software here to work with during lunch), so I whipped mine take on what this ship looks like up in really rough 3D so I could match the angles of the picture and then show the orthos without worrying about distorting them by drawing them incorrectly:

I rather like that, perhaps with a bit stubbier nacelles and a more rounded neck. If it was tweaked a bit, I could definitely see it as the Enterprise-F
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 03:38:08 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the front edge of the nacelle pylon extend horizontally from the nacelle to the center of the ship before curving forward and towards the centerline of the ship's length? It's a bit fuzzy there, but that's what it looks like, not just rectangular.

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 04:07:58 PM »
I rather like that, perhaps with a bit stubbier nacelles and a more rounded neck. If it was tweaked a bit, I could definitely see it as the Enterprise-F
Ugh, I hope not.  That thing is even uglier than the Sovereign...

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2007, 04:48:54 PM »
To me it looks like it has a very long and relatively slender neck with the secondary hull limited to the space at the very rear between the nacelles. And I agree with Manti; the nacelles look rather stubby. If you look at the full-sized pick it looks like the plasma vents are streaking behind the ship, and the actual nacelle length is approximately the same as the saucer size front to back, if not smaller still.

I agree with Viral.  Your engineering section is way too big (it shouldn't come past the front of the nacelles and is bulkier then the one you have shown) and the neck needs to be longer.  Actually it might just be becasue of your engineering section.  To me it comes off as sort of a Nebula class engineering section with a longer flatter galaxy class neck, and half to 3/4's of the Galaxy class saucer.  None of the sections are direct ship specifics parts, I was just laying out some good starting points.  One other point, and it's really hard to tell, but the upper deck, which the bridge sits on might extend far further then we can see, maybe all the way to the bow of the saucer, creating a stepping stone up to the ENT-J we saw on ENT with the nose deflector.  Their might even be a nose deflection there at the front of the saucer.  Without better pics we'll never now.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2007, 05:01:41 PM »
The neck is like a Galaxy class's neck--pinched at the bottom before flaring out to become the secondary hull.

Think of it as a Galaxy with a shorter secondary hull, longer neck, and forward-swept nacelle pylons.  OH, and more top-heavy.

I don't remember a nose-deflector, but I could be mistaken.  But I definitely think there was one in the usual spot in the secondary hull.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 05:05:29 PM by Manticore »

Offline Viral

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »
I don't remember a nose-deflector, but I could be mistaken.  But I definitely think there was one in the usual spot in the secondary hull.

Yeah, I would say it's on the engineering section; there looks to be a very small, bulbous portion at the front of it which would suit a deflector quite well. It's a good possibility anyhow.

If someone could heighten the contrast/brightness on that it might be easier to see. I'm limited to paint at the moment.  :)
Once you leave the womb, conservatives don’t care about you until you reach military age. Then you’re just what they’re looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.
- George Carlin

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2007, 06:02:24 PM »
Isn't there a civilian level program that sharpens and focuses closer on images, like you see TV shows, like CSI and whatnot?

--Dark Moose

Offline Viral

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2007, 06:38:08 PM »
Isn't there a civilian level program that sharpens and focuses closer on images, like you see TV shows, like CSI and whatnot?

I don't think 90% of CSI applies to the real world. Rastor images are very limited in terms of scale. I do know of some image enhancing/scaling programs, but none that are free/decent (at least none that scale upwards). Feel free to dig around for something as if you find anything decent I'd certainly be interested, but my guess is that you'd be just as well off rescaling in The Gimp or Photoshop.
- George Carlin

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2007, 06:44:25 PM »
I was just using CSI as an illustrative example.  :P I know I had seen something somewhere, but I can't remember where.

--Dark Moose

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2007, 06:45:15 PM »

I think the engineering hull is slightly too long and the nacelles aren't quite out far enough, but other than that I think it's a good representation of the "Enterprise-F", the ship doomed for failure due to it's very name...
I have selective reading.

"There is a certain logic to your logic."
~ Tuvok

"High speed and low IQ don't mix"
~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »
Then, they should change the name to the Enterrise. You leave off the "P" and the problems just disappear. The spanish pronunciation seems interesting.

--Dark Moose

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »

Yeah, I would say it's on the engineering section; there looks to be a very small, bulbous portion at the front of it which would suit a deflector quite well. It's a good possibility anyhow.

If someone could heighten the contrast/brightness on that it might be easier to see. I'm limited to paint at the moment.  :)
Here's what I got out of it.  Brightened, heightened contrast, and traced out the apparent shape of the hull.  The green is what I think it is, the red is what the "bump" seems to outline.

My opinion?  The ship is in a nebula (hence the cool glowie effects), and the "bump" is just a dark spot of gas behind the ship.