Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 100195 times)

Offline Viral

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 05:49:34 PM »
Yeah, that's much closer Edymnion. The nacelle pylons almost look more triangular shaped to me as opposed to how sloping you have them but that's minor, and until better pics are presented will mostly be speculation. But I think it's fairly clear that there is a very distinctive engineering section from the neck and saucer.
Once you leave the womb, conservatives don’t care about you until you reach military age. Then you’re just what they’re looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.
- George Carlin

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 06:04:29 PM »
I've seen concept art of that ship.  The 'bump' is the secondary hull.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 06:21:45 PM »
Not to say that I don't believe you, but many long years on the internet have instilled me with a pervasive "I'll believe it when I see it, and probably not even then" mindset.  So, nothing personal man, but do you have any links to these design specs?

Until we get something a little more definative, this crummy pic is all we have to go on, and honestly, it doesn't look like a secondary hull to me.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 06:38:50 PM »
Okay, I have to admit the truth.

The ship is organic, just made to look inorganic because of the new advancements and the need to keep that information a secret for now.

The bump is not a bump or a secondary hull. The ship is pregnant...and it's my fault.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 06:44:05 PM »
Not to say that I don't believe you, but many long years on the internet have instilled me with a pervasive "I'll believe it when I see it, and probably not even then" mindset.  So, nothing personal man, but do you have any links to these design specs?

Until we get something a little more definative, this crummy pic is all we have to go on, and honestly, it doesn't look like a secondary hull to me.

Unfortunately, they were at the Perpetual booth at SIGGRAPH and I forgot to take a photo. *mad*

I'm still kicking myself over that, as Greg can attest.

(And if you're disinclined to believe me, remember that it's me, Manty, the guy who's honest to a fault. :P)

Going by what I remember the ship, though, it's a thinner Galaxy-style saucer on top of a long (really long) neck which connects to the secondary hull very much like a Galaxy.  It's ungainly as hell, ridiculously top-heavy, and one of the ugliest non-kitbashes I've ever seen.

Also, considering that it's roughly the same color as the hull of the ship, and nothing like the color of the rest of the nebula, it really doesn't look like a cloud of dust. :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:46:13 PM by Manticore »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2007, 07:08:32 PM »

The ship is organic, just made to look inorganic because of the new advancements and the need to keep that information a secret for now.

The bump is not a bump or a secondary hull. The ship is pregnant...and it's my fault.

Wait you impregnated a ship...  ??? :o :o :o

I hope that thing isn't the Enterprise-F because it's too fugly.  :-\
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2007, 07:16:13 PM »
My rough 3d sketch of it based on my admittedly somewhat vague memories of it.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2007, 07:22:47 PM »
OMG!  That thing's even uglier than I thought!  :o :o :o :o :o
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 07:24:20 PM »
As I suspected: Wellington crossbred with Ambassador Hardin.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 07:27:20 PM »

Wait you impregnated a ship...  ??? :o :o :o

I hope that thing isn't the Enterprise-F because it's too fugly.  :-\

I wasn't drunk. It's our love child. We're naming her schiznitkicker: part warship-part pure science vessel. She's got a lot of brains and kicks ass.

You realize you're talking about my girl, right?.  :P She's got an Aikira-esque look about her. It's much better than what's in Manticore's image.

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2007, 07:27:35 PM »

It is, isn't it?

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2007, 07:29:29 PM »
The thing of it is, it would be awesome if the neck wasn't so high. From the art, I imagined the the neck jutting foward more than up. I can easily skecth what I mean but I have no scanner access anymore. It would also look better with the pylons having an anhedral. But that's me/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:34:12 PM by Shik »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2007, 07:31:45 PM »
I wasn't drunk. It's our love child. We're naming her schiznitkicker: part warship-part pure science vessel. She's got a lot of brains and kicks ass.

You realize you're talking about my girl, right?.  :P She's got an Aikira-esque look about her. It's much better than what's in Manticore's image.

Well if they'd cut down on that neck and maybe tweek the nacceles and the pylons it wouldn't be that bad. 

You need to buy her some plastic surgery GStone.  I know this great Species 8472 doctor who can work wonders....  :P

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »
I'd argue the 'awesome' assertion, but it would look better, wouldn't it?

I may be mis-remembering the length of the neck (I spent the longest time agonizing over that).  But I very distinctly remember a large saucer, long neck, and almost vestigial secondary hull.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2007, 07:44:39 PM »
Well if they'd cut down on that neck and maybe tweek the nacceles and the pylons it wouldn't be that bad. 

You need to buy her some plastic surgery GStone.  I know this great Species 8472 doctor who can work wonders....  :P

The width of her saucer is smaller than a galaxy, her neck isn't as tall as a galaxy's, but it does look long from the top, but that's just an optical illusion from the blurry image. The nacelle pylons flow forward and out, the nacelles being short ones. What is thought to be a secondary hull is really a modular pod, which is currently the pregnancy pod, which is a large maturation chamber. The height of my girl is more like a sovereign or intrepid and the engine room is in the neck.

--Dark Moose

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »
The width of her saucer is smaller than a galaxy, her neck isn't as tall as a galaxy's, but it does look long from the top, but that's just an optical illusion from the blurry image. The nacelle pylons flow forward and out, the nacelles being short ones. What is thought to be a secondary hull is really a modular pod, which is currently the pregnancy pod, which is a large maturation chamber. The height of my girl is more like a sovereign or intrepid and the engine room is in the neck.

You've thought this ship pregnacy/bastard child thing out haven't you?  :P

I may be mis-remembering the length of the neck (I spent the longest time agonizing over that).  But I very distinctly remember a large saucer, long neck, and almost vestigial secondary hull.

Oh well, I'll just wait till I see the final product before I start flaming.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2007, 04:45:43 AM »
I wanna see you try to seduce a sentient starship.

--Dark Moose

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2007, 06:58:22 AM »

How do you know I haven't already done that?  ;) :P

{barfs}

Oh, and if the "secondary hull" is a modular pod then why are the naccelles attached to it. Doesn't make much sense does it...

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2007, 07:08:59 AM »
If you want to see a pregnant sentient starship just watch Farscape lol.

But that ship is ugly...

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »

How do you know I haven't already done that?  ;) :P

{barfs}

Oh, and if the "secondary hull" is a modular pod then why are the naccelles attached to it. Doesn't make much sense does it...

The same reason why the akiraprise and most other starfleet ships have the nacelles away from the rest of the ship: radiation worries. Ships, like the Defiant and steamrunner, have extra shielding to guard against it. Plus, the maturation chamber absorbs the excess radiation and uses it to power the maturation chamber. It's fitted away from the front of the ship in case something went wrong, while the maturation pod is being used and for when our baby is born and there's no need to have the pod there, so it'll be switched out for another pod.

--Dark Moose

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
My god, this ship gets more hideously deformed every time I see it.
This has got to be an early April Fool's joke.  I don't care how high on crack you are, nobody could think that ship was in any way appealing...

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2007, 12:07:36 PM »
This has got to be an early April Fool's joke.  I don't care how high on crack you are, nobody could think that ship was in any way appealing...

Considering I saw it last August, I really don't think so. :(

Much as I'd like to pretend otherwise, of course.

ETA:  Looking at the picture I posted, and thinking back to that poster I saw, I think the saucer's even larger in relation to the secondary hull than I have depicted here.

Which makes it even uglier, of course.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:13:01 PM by Manticore »

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2007, 01:02:06 PM »
I don't have access to my autocad program (the computer I'm at right now isn't the one with the program on it), but I'll make up a quick one later of what I think it looks like. But, to give an idea, the 'spine' looks to me like it flows back and curves down a little, kinda like what's in Bond's pic, but the end stops a little lower when looking at it from the side. Then, from the rear of the spine, the nacelle pylons curve forward, out and down a little. My idea of it makes it look like you make a check mark, change the point into a curve, as if you were creating a parabolic arc. Then, you flip it horizontally and turn it clockwise about 90 degrees. I do think the bulge there could be a modular pod. It might explain why there is a section that extends below the point where the nacelle pylons connect into the spine. The saucer makes me think it's kind of like the half circle saucer of the Intrepid type from ENT, but wider to make it more eliptical in shape and the corners of the flat-back end are more rounded. Looking as close as I can to the very front of the saucer section, it kinda looks like there's a section cut out, almost like the area removed for the deflector that's seen in ENT era ships, like the Intrepid type and the NX. I would think that if it was an uninterrupted eliptical curve, it wouldn't look like it stops abruptly when seen at this angle of the ship.

--Dark Moose

Offline mdtillard

• Darth Apocalypse, Sith Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace Page
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2007, 01:16:12 PM »
The image posted, not the 3d sketch, if its saucer were rotated 45 degrees, so it was long for to aft, instead of port to starbard, and the secondary hull were elongated, could pass for the Plegaic class Enterprise-F from Ren (RIP).
Executor class Star Dreadnaught, 17.6km keel
x class Star Battleship, 12.8km keel
y class Star Battlecruiser, 8km keel
z class Star Cruiser, 2.2km keel
Imperator class Star Destroyer, 1.6km keel

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2007, 04:08:23 PM »
The same reason why the akiraprise and most other starfleet ships have the nacelles away from the rest of the ship: radiation worries. Ships, like the Defiant and steamrunner, have extra shielding to guard against it. Plus, the maturation chamber absorbs the excess radiation and uses it to power the maturation chamber. It's fitted away from the front of the ship in case something went wrong, while the maturation pod is being used and for when our baby is born and there's no need to have the pod there, so it'll be switched out for another pod.

Yeah, but wouldn't you have to disconnect the naccelles, remove the pod, put a new pod on, and then reattach the naccelles?  Sounds like a lot of work to me.  ;) :P :P

Considering I saw it last August, I really don't think so. :(

Much as I'd like to pretend otherwise, of course.

ETA:  Looking at the picture I posted, and thinking back to that poster I saw, I think the saucer's even larger in relation to the secondary hull than I have depicted here.

Which makes it even uglier, of course.

Well they still have a year or two to work it out so maybe they'll fix it.  :-\