Author Topic: Favorite Ship of the Star Wars Universe  (Read 48348 times)

Tanky

Favorite Ship of the Star Wars Universe
« on: October 03, 2006, 11:27:04 PM »
This forum was looking kinda bare, so I thought I'd kick things off with a favorite ship and why thread (Don't like it? Well I don't see you coming up with anything better  :P)

My favorite is the Imperial Star Destroyer. It's just so distinctive and really set the tone of the entire franchise in the opening scene of ANH. This universe was going to be all about big ships with big guns.

Javert

Re: Favorite Ship of the Star Wars Universe
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:06:06 AM »
Venator Class

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »
My favorite is the Imperial Star Destroyer. It's just so distinctive and really set the tone of the entire franchise in the opening scene of ANH. This universe was going to be all about big ships with big guns.

Agreed. Everthing about the ship says 'You don't really want to mess with me, trust me.' More so for the SSD.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Voron

• Veteran Member
  • still unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 03:23:10 PM »
I will go with the Super Star destroyer, as seeing that the first time made me go "Crap thats big i want one" or the B-wing loved its different design
Kein Mitleid mit der Mehrheit

Offline brichard001

• Ask me about Canon. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:10:54 PM »
Death Star.  Not really designed for the daily commute but it is perfect if you have to change lanes or merge alot.
Local fire-department is seeking a siren for new fire-truck. Must be willing to suffer near constant groin injury and genital trauma. No experience required, will train. This is a temp-hire position.

Tanky

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 05:45:02 PM »
the B-wing loved its different design

Totally agree here. Favorite fighter design for sure.

Offline e of pi

• Veteran Member
  • V=4/3(pi)r^3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 06:03:36 PM »
Either the Naboo star yacht, or the barge from the same people, both from the second movie. Very cool designs. Plus, they're shiny.

Offline SeQuBu

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 06:15:29 PM »
Ufff, dificult decition

The Naboo yachts are cool
Y wing has always been my favorite from the Rebels
From the Prequels I would say that the coolest are the Jedi fighter from Ep.III or the Storm Troopers Dropship
USS Esmeralda:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_______________________________________:::::::::: ____________.---------.____________
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: / ---´-------------------------------´..:::\\ \___\ ___.---'----------/-------------------------------`---._
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::`-------------------------------.-------.-----------'----===============================`
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /___\_____\____,---'--------------------,---------------'
"...where the ocean meets the sky, I´ll be sailing"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: `----._______,------------'

Offline SeQuBu

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 06:16:18 PM »
Now that I give it a 2nd thought, there is one pretty cool ship that apears only for a moment at the backround in EpII or II if I'm not mistaken, which is DEFENETLY my favourite one from SW ;)
USS Esmeralda:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_______________________________________:::::::::: ____________.---------.____________
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: / ---´-------------------------------´..:::\\ \___\ ___.---'----------/-------------------------------`---._
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::`-------------------------------.-------.-----------'----===============================`
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /___\_____\____,---'--------------------,---------------'
"...where the ocean meets the sky, I´ll be sailing"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: `----._______,------------'

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 08:40:12 PM »
Let's see...

Capital Ship:

Super Stardestroyer Class would be my favorite, in terms of power and intimidation factor. If anyone saw one of those things show up in their star system, they'd shit a brick. (Despite the fact that the Executor was brought down by a collision to its bridge by a A-Wing...)

Scout Class:

The YT-1300 would be my pick for its versatility. Sure, Han really modified his Millennium Falcon extensively, but that pretty much shows how acquiring "add-ons" to a simple freighter can be used for that class.

Fighter:

I have to say that the Eta-2 Actis my favorite for this category in terms of appearance. The Jedi starfighter simply LOOKS cool. But for a choice of combat ship, I'd go with Y-Wing. I would have chosen the B-Wing, but it sans an Astro Mech Type droid, which would come in handy in a combat situation for spot-on repairs and such.

Speeder:

Not much to choose from in this category. I really am fond of type used by the Rebels on Hoth, though they had a hard time "adapting them to the cold." That's why I think of this ship as a "glorified" speeder. If it was truly meant for space travel, then coldness shouldn't be an issue, but then another argument would be that they were trying to adapt it to snow conditions such as moisture exposure and the like.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 08:44:52 PM »
Now that I give it a 2nd thought, there is one pretty cool ship that apears only for a moment at the backround in EpII or II if I'm not mistaken, which is DEFENETLY my favourite one from SW ;)
For the ignorant and unenlightened, what ship would that be?
:p

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 09:17:50 PM »
Now that I give it a 2nd thought, there is one pretty cool ship that appears only for a moment at the backround in EpII or III if I'm not mistaken, which is DEFINITELY my favourite one from SW ;)

I think he may be referring to the Venator Class Star Destroyer shown pretty much at the end of Ep III.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 09:20:34 PM by DarkShinobi »

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Tanky

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 12:48:26 AM »
Now that I give it a 2nd thought, there is one pretty cool ship that appears only for a moment at the backround in EpII or III if I'm not mistaken, which is DEFINITELY my favourite one from SW ;)

I think he may be referring to the Venator Class Star Destroyer shown pretty much at the end of Ep III.

Indeed he is. Here's a link to SW Datalinks for it. The name is in the Expanded Universe bit http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/republicattackcruiser/

Javert

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 08:34:13 AM »
I think he might be talking about the Acclamator class ship

Offline Admiral TVar

• Veteran Member
  • ST: Empires. Official SCN Ninja, minor annoyance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 12:58:16 PM »
I dunno he might be talking about the Phase II Enterprise that was seen for likea microsecond flying in the coruscant traffic
"Enough is enough!, I have had it with these Mutha' F&@#in' Borg!" ~ Captain Sam L. Jackson of the USS Reliant

"That plot has more holes than a Nevada whorehouse."
~Bond in reference to the Plot of Signs

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 03:28:05 PM »
Hmmm....Are we counting EU? If so the E-Wing fighter kicks ten types of ass. And the Wild Karrde is pretty slick too.

But my favorite is, and remains, the Millenium Falcon. Tough, fast, and just plain badass.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 02:08:40 AM »
Assault Gunboat, bitches. Well, ok, it's like a volvo with guns, but I have fond memories of piloting one in the old TIE Fighter game.

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 10:36:12 AM »
Good old X-wing :P 8) Now I'd love to have one of those...
ESF-12

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 06:49:57 PM »
My favorite SW ship?  It would have to be the Preybird.

At wookieepedia:  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Preybird
I have selective reading.

"There is a certain logic to your logic."
~ Tuvok

"High speed and low IQ don't mix"
~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond

Offline Admiral Ross

• Veteran Member
  • Token SCN Paleo-Con
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 08:02:32 PM »
X-Wing, hands down.  It's a classic...loved the idea of having a private one to travel in a la Luke in the Thrawn trilogy.  (And its influence on the original BSG Viper only makes it better).
“Fear God and Dread Nought”

- Motto of Admiral Sir John Fisher

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 11:47:12 PM »
My favorite SW ship?  It would have to be the Preybird.

At wookieepedia:  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Preybird

Gee I wonder where they got the idea for that  ::).

Our pal Moonshadow is best suited for this thread but in his absence...

When it comes to large capital ships my vote goes to the super Star Destroyer...it it does seem as though Darth Vader is trying to compensate for something and it is ridiculously too large but I like how sleek it is compared to its smaller cousins.  Plus you gotta love those blood red engines.

I was never too keen on the OT starfighters (yes sorry folks X-wing included) but I love the naboo starfighter kind of a pretty cool retro look.  As for mid-sized ships well my choices would be the Outrider and Slave 1.  So if I had a list.

-Super Star Destroyer
-Naboo starfighter
-Outrider
-Slave 1
-Republic Cruiser
-Jedi Starfighter
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline nixonshead

• Prolific Member
  • I am not a crook's head
    • View Profile
    • Nixon's Head
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 12:56:20 PM »
Gotta be the Falcon. 

I quite liked the Trade Federation ships once I saw them sat on the ground.  That scene where they shoot one down and this hulking building-sized vessel just splats across the landscape - awesome.

And those Jedi fighters with the seperate hyperdrive ring were pretty cool too.

I really don't see the appeal of Star Destroyers though - just an arrowhead shap with some superstructure off a WWII battleship glued on the top.  Always seemed pretty dull and clunky to me.  :-\
Bilbo Bagshot: I once punched a guy out for saying that "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish.
Tim Bisley: Good for you.
Bilbo Bagshot: Yeah, thanks. But that's not the point, Tim. The point is I was defending the fantasy genre with terminal intensity, when what I should have said was "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later."

Spaced

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 02:52:30 PM »
I'm going with the I-7 Howlrunner starfighter, mainly because I think they look cool.

Yes, I'm a Star Wars fan. By the barest of margins.
:p

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 05:45:24 PM »
I'll go with the TIE Advanced (Avenger?) if we are going to get into the EU.  It was not as "uber" as the Defender, they I have very fond memories of wasting many "Reble Scum" and "Traitors to the Empire" in one.

For cap ships, I would go with a Strike Cruiser.  Adaptable and with good weaponry, much more effecient use of crewmen then a Star Destroyer.

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 06:25:36 PM »
For an Imperial capital ship, I'd have to go with the Gauntlet SSDs.  They mix the adaptability and speed of the ISD with the punch of a bigger ship.  And they're solid black.
I have selective reading.

"There is a certain logic to your logic."
~ Tuvok

"High speed and low IQ don't mix"
~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond