Author Topic: Favorite Ship of the Star Wars Universe  (Read 48319 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Ship of the Star Wars Universe
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 07:01:03 PM »
For an Imperial capital ship, I'd have to go with the Gauntlet SSDs.  They mix the adaptability and speed of the ISD with the punch of a bigger ship.  And they're solid black.

I think you mean the Eclipse-class SSD. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eclipse-class_Star_Dreadnought
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 09:01:03 PM »
Always been a big fan of the A-, B-, X- and Y-wing fighters. Love that line up.

I also have a passing fancy with the TIE-Bomber ... dunno why ..
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 09:02:45 PM »
ya I've always had a thing for the TIE-advanced
ESF-12

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 09:13:29 PM »
Me too, a bit... but I rated the TIE-Bombers. A lot. Those other random ones we don't see in the movies are pretty interesting - can't really remember them off the top of my head, mind you.
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline Darkside

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 10:58:25 AM »
Slave I

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 09:52:56 PM »
ESF-12

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2006, 02:36:10 PM »
Death Star.  Not really designed for the daily commute but it is perfect if you have to change lanes or merge alot.

:D

Id go for the Eclipse SSD for a capital ship and the Tie Advanced for a starfighter.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2006, 08:20:57 PM »
The Eclipse is awesome and I gotta go with the basic TIE fighter.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2006, 02:54:49 PM »
The Eclipse...the Orginal BFU (Big Fuckin' Ubership). Only allowed because it's the Emperors ride of choice.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2006, 09:54:30 PM »
My Favorite ship is the Escape Pod. :P

Actually, Its not too hard to figure out my favorite Capital ship.

as for Fighters.

The Naboo N-1. Its fast, fairly tough, and looks pretty sweet. Could use some bigger guns though.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:56:50 PM by NRSD Moonshadow »
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2006, 02:14:53 AM »
^^^heh I knew the N-1 had some other fans.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline mdtillard

• Darth Apocalypse, Sith Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace Page
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 01:16:16 PM »
Lets see, some fav ships... The Executer class Star Dreadnaught, for one.  And I would LOVE to pull an Adama stunt in that thing...  ;D.  also, some of the ships that are implied to exist but never been seen, like the Star Battleships and Star Battlecrusers of the imperial fleet...
Executor class Star Dreadnaught, 17.6km keel
x class Star Battleship, 12.8km keel
y class Star Battlecruiser, 8km keel
z class Star Cruiser, 2.2km keel
Imperator class Star Destroyer, 1.6km keel

manilow_crocker

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 09:33:59 AM »
For me it's all about the original Imperial Star Destroyer.

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 04:34:49 PM »
It's true. Noone forgets that bad boy looming overhead in the beginning of ANH. Noone. It's easily one of the most identifiable Sci-Fi icons.

Star Fleet Kevin

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 03:55:14 PM »
Capital:  Executer Class Super Stardestroyer (I dunno why they gave it the name "Star Dreadnaught".  Being difficult I suppose.)  Anyways the thing is freaking huge!!!  It's pointy and wonderfull and who couldn't love it?

Midsize:  Lambda-class T-4a shuttle  I just love the design of this ship.  It may have something to do with my Empire fetish... 

Fighter:  Tie Intercepter  I just bought a diecast of this today...

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 08:55:42 PM »
↑ All three of those are pretty sweet ships. The Lamba Class is begging for a custom paint job. Its like a SW universe 64 Impalla.
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2006, 06:40:53 AM »
Capital:  Executer Class Super Stardestroyer (I dunno why they gave it the name "Star Dreadnaught". 

As far as I can tell it is a new ship class designation system that started on the star wars wiki.

As many people know, there was confusion over the exact length of the SSD. Its original length reported as 8,000 meters (5x an ISD, which is of course rubbish)...then a magic figure of 12,800 meters came about (8x an ISD)...this was a inbetween length that also made no sense.

Then the Eclipse class SSD came out and research began to indicate that the Executor was approxamately the same length of the eclipse (around 19km) (although the eclipse had a much larger overall mass).

So to try and explain all of this, there was the suggestion that there was an Executor-class SSD (seen in the movies) and an 8,000 meter Super-class SSD. And the term Star-Dreadnought was used to classify the truly massive Imperial ships.

This also created problems as well as solving some but you can read about it here-

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SSD_continuity_debates

security

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2006, 04:25:36 PM »
While not really being much of a Star Wars fan, I will say I love the Imperial Shuttle. Definitly my fave SW ship.

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2006, 10:32:28 PM »
So to try and explain all of this, there was the suggestion that there was an Executor-class SSD (seen in the movies) and an 8,000 meter Super-class SSD. And the term Star-Dreadnought was used to classify the truly massive Imperial ships

The term Star Dreadnought was shoe-horned in by those who lack any kind of imagination.  They think that a Star Destroyer must be a "destroyer" because of the mentally lazy "ship heirarchy" they are stuck on.  The heirarchy goes as such...

Battleship
Dreadnought
Battlecruiser
Heavy Cruiser
Cruiser
Light Cruiser
Destroyer
Frigate
Corvette

This stagnant heirachy dictates that each ship of successive "types" will be larger and better armored then the privious and that some ships are "naturally" better at certain missions, even though there is usually little rhyme or reason.  Along with the heirarchy there is a sense that each "type" fits neatly in a artificial pyrmaid, battleships at the top, the smallest ship on the bottom. 

And why all of this?  Because people don't have a clue so they ridgely stick to something that involves no independent thought.  No analysis and no person decisions or room for interpetation.   

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 08:29:45 AM »
Actually, the Dreadnought is a later and more powerful type of ship than a battleship. (by earth navy standards) But to be completely technical, the term Dreadnought should not be in Wars vocabulary as the term is derived from religious texts...similarly- as the original SD cannot be an Imperator class (dont have latin in space  :D) Im actually quite surprised the obviously intelligent author of the online technical commentaries didnt pick up on this.

Although I completely agree with your comment that a Star Destoryer is a mere destroyer is complete bollocks. Considering a SD is supposed to be able to control a whole system alone and more importantly the empire measured its strength on how many SDs it had...I cant imagine any navy rating itself on how many destroyers it has!  :D

I dont undersatand the idea that just because an SD is small compared to an Executor and a relatively common ship that this somehow means they are just destroyers...very odd.

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 09:18:24 PM »
It goes back to the faulty notions that there will always be an exact proportion of certain vessels to another.  They call an SSD a battleship-type vessel and that some how there will be a corresponding number of Star Destroyers for no greater reason then "just because".   ::)

And if you really want to get technical, a battlecruiser (of the "1st generation" pre-WW1/WW1 variety) is a longer and often heavier then the corrisponding Dreadnought, though it has less armor an fewer guns of the same caliber.  Longer to improve the length to beam ration, as well as to provide more room for machinery and often heavier by simply being a larger ship.  That is why HMS Hood was as large as it was (and why it, as a battlecruiser, was the longest and heaviest warship afloat for almost 20 years).  It wasn't until the "fast battleship" that both types were brought together.  And by then there was a "2nd Generation" of battlecruiser, more like "super-cruisers" then the previous(Alaska-class, Dunkirque-class, Scharnhorst-class).  It is this second generation that is fit into the heirarchy.

OdysseySlipways

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2006, 09:08:43 PM »
Off hand I'd have to say the AT-AT walker. parking anywhere wouldn't be a problem

X-wing
Falcon
Executor
Avenger

and i am sure there is more.............

Offline Rick King AIFD

• Veteran Member
  • official what-iffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2006, 11:08:45 AM »
Capital Ship...... No contest.....The Executor Class - Big, pointy, and loaded.  Just the thing for a sunday jaunt in the country

Midsize ship.....  Tyderion three winged shuttle........Just a cool ship

Fighter.....Genral grievous ship.......just looks mean and wicked
........If I have failed, then I have failed while daring greatly, henceforth my place shall never be found amoung those timid souls who know not the thrill of victory or bitter defeat....

Lt. Saavik

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2006, 05:40:50 PM »
I like the classic ones the best: Millennium Falcon, X-wing, Star Destroyer, Tie Fighter, and Luke's landspeeder.  The Death Star was also great, but that probably doesn't count.

Has anyone seen the Star Wars exhibit that's touring around major museums?  It has Luke's landspeeder and a lot of the models they used to film the scenes with the bigger ships.

Offline Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2006, 05:41:32 AM »
Y-Wing, Nebulon-B class frigate.