Author Topic: Favorite Ship of the Star Wars Universe  (Read 48320 times)

Offline Tyburn

• Prolific Member
  • Effing up the Ineffable plan since '75
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Ship of the Star Wars Universe
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2006, 08:35:18 AM »
I liked the Nebulon-B, there was a certain utlitlarianism about it (if that's the right word), except the one major design flaw - the strut attaching the engines to the rest of the hull always seemed too weak, one good hit on that would break the ship in two and leave it defenceless and dead in space.
I'm getting to that stage in life where I want to find a nice little place, settle down and spend my declining days on my porch, shitting in my hand and throwing it at passing cars. Is that too much to ask?

Offline Peregrinus

• Curmudgeon-At-Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2006, 02:48:50 AM »
I always took "Star Destroyer" to be from the same sort of melodramatic propeganda hyperbole that gave us the "Death Dtar" -- in the case of the ship "a destroyer of stars", and not the etymological equivalent of "space destroyer". Note that Han verbally IDed the two SDs moving to intercept in ANH as a couple of "Imperial cruisers".

And the Executor is somewhere between a battleship and carrier, function-wise -- it's the focus of a battlegroup. I like the notion that part of the reason for its size (and for the big ventral cutout) is in the interest of underway repairs.

But I'd need to see it treated better, cinematically, before being able ot make a final aesthetic determination on the beast. For now, Im torn -- as I have been for years -- between the Y-Wing and YT-1300.

--Jonah
"That's what I love about these high school girls -- I keep getting older, they stay the same age."
--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Offline Tyburn

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2006, 03:53:45 AM »
But then, in Return of the Jedi, Lando Calrissian orders the fleet to 'engage those Star Destroyers at point-blank range'

Him being a General of the Rebellion, it is doubtful he'd go along with a piece of Imperial propaganda, so it seems likely that Star Destroyer is a ship classification.
I'm getting to that stage in life where I want to find a nice little place, settle down and spend my declining days on my porch, shitting in my hand and throwing it at passing cars. Is that too much to ask?

Offline Peregrinus

• Curmudgeon-At-Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2006, 05:26:29 AM »
Well, he also calls it a Death Star and not a space station. ;)

--Jonah
"That's what I love about these high school girls -- I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Offline Tyburn

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2006, 07:19:10 AM »
Yeah, but the Death Star's official designation is 'Death Star' :P

Offline Mirror Fury

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2006, 12:34:44 PM »
My favorite ships?

I'd have the say the Executor, the B-wing, and Mr. Maul's Sith Infiltrator (yes I own the SW vehicles book, the three that I like just happen to all be in the movies)
"I wish you could've seen the looks on your faces. Oh wait you can *flash, mirror appears*" -Q

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2006, 10:37:04 PM »
But then, in Return of the Jedi, Lando Calrissian orders the fleet to 'engage those Star Destroyers at point-blank range'

Him being a General of the Rebellion, it is doubtful he'd go along with a piece of Imperial propaganda, so it seems likely that Star Destroyer is a ship classification.

Its more along the lines of saying "Google it" instead of saying "Look on the web."

Which term is more popular?

;)

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Tyburn

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2006, 05:24:52 AM »
True, although (and this is not very well known, though I have it on reasonably good authority) it's actually the Imperator-class star destroyer, not Imperial-class. I have been privy to some schematics from the era of the orginal movie, and the star destroyer was labelled Imperator-class.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2006, 11:28:28 AM »
Yeah, I've heard of and gone with the Imperator Class designation itself, though I don't think it ever found its way into the scripts.

Even conversation wise, I can't imagine Leia screaming "Han! Look...Imperator Classes!!!" rather than "Han! Look...Stardestroyers!!!"

:D

Also, the use of the term Imperial Stardestroyers is akin to saying Martian Warships.

The warships aren't Martian Class...they just belong to them pesky Martians.

See?

;)

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Commander Vreeland

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2006, 12:51:25 PM »
Pesky Martians?!! :)

The falcon wins hands down for me, it's a bucket of bolts, that goes damn fast. ;D

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2006, 04:41:21 PM »
^ In other words, its like the Space Going 1960s Muscle Car
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

Vance Nightblade

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2006, 01:19:27 PM »
My favorite ships are small space craft. I like the x-wing fighter and the Jedi starfighters in SW EPII and EPIII.

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
True, although (and this is not very well known, though I have it on reasonably good authority) it's actually the Imperator-class star destroyer, not Imperial-class. I have been privy to some schematics from the era of the orginal movie, and the star destroyer was labelled Imperator-class.

While that is correct (I have seen the schematics also) the fact is the ship cant be called an 'Imperator' class becuase Imperator is a Roman word. The author has obviously picked a cool word and stuck it on the design without taking into account what and where the word comes from. (I believe somthing similar was done in Trek with Klingon raptors IIRC)

So I certainly dont have issue with the fact that the ship is technically an Imperator class, but nevertheless it simply cant be so, hence why I always use the Imperial designation.

Offline Tyburn

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2006, 05:39:24 PM »
Yeah, but then, there's a lot of that in sci-fi - centurion is a roman word, yet it turns up in Trek by the Romulans, and I don't believe Von Daniken's theory about humanoid life on Earth.

Offline Peregrinus

• Curmudgeon-At-Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2006, 12:42:27 AM »
Well, I doubt the Star Wars universe's Basic is so astonishingly identical to English. So if we accept that as a conceit, why not using one or two of our older languages to represent one or two of their older languages?

--Jonah

Sean

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2007, 12:57:38 AM »
my favorite ship would be the super star destroyer (advanced) - equipped with death star beam

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2007, 05:57:34 PM »
Well, I doubt the Star Wars universe's Basic is so astonishingly identical to English. So if we accept that as a conceit, why not using one or two of our older languages to represent one or two of their older languages?

--Jonah

lol, in Germany basic is atonishingly close to German.  The same goes for any other country and language Star Wars or Star Wars material has been published in/translated to.
I have selective reading.

"There is a certain logic to your logic."
~ Tuvok

"High speed and low IQ don't mix"
~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond

Offline Tyburn

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2007, 07:42:31 PM »
Okay, I've changed my mind - I want Anakin's modified Delta starfighter from the animated series the Clone Wars.

Pic to follow ;)

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2007, 08:29:54 PM »
^ thats one of the newest in the "Titanium" Line of SW Die-Cast replicas
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2007, 11:28:08 PM »
I wanted to update my list slightly

-Super Star Destroyer
-Naboo starfighter
-Jedi Interceptor (Obi wan's variant)
-Outrider
-Slave 1
-Republic Cruiser
-Jedi Starfighter
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2007, 04:20:43 AM »
Sean, we don't allow sig images here; sorry. Can you please remove it?

Thanks.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2007, 07:00:20 AM »
I removed it myself, cos I'm such a helpful community-minded kind of guy. ;D

Offline Rick King AIFD

• Veteran Member
  • official what-iffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2007, 06:46:36 PM »
Update and a slight change of mind

In addition to the three already listed.....Lets add General Grevious Wheel Bike to the mix.......
........If I have failed, then I have failed while daring greatly, henceforth my place shall never be found amoung those timid souls who know not the thrill of victory or bitter defeat....

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:38 AM »
The Arc-170 starfighter is my favorite.  It has sort of that A-10 Thunderbolt feel to it, where it looks as if you could try and pound it into submission until your guns run dry and it would still get up and kick your ass.

I also like the B-Wing becasue it's so unconventional.  It's just a great concept.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Darkside

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »
I like the small capital ships, like the corellian corvettes (aka-rebel cruisers)