129,256 Posts in 3,466 Topics - by 272 Members - Latest Member: masterarminas
Poll
Question: Which banner (or banner style) would you like to see at EAS?  (Voting closed: June 17, 2007, 09:55:30 AM)
Aaron Gallo - 1 (4.5%)
Darkstone - 10 (45.5%)
Jochen G. - 5 (22.7%)
John Pearse - 4 (18.2%)
Ottens - 2 (9.1%)
Pleiades - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: [EAS] Banner Contest: Vote here.  (Read 12004 times)
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2007, 09:55:30 AM »

I have closed the submission now. The vote will be closed next Sunday, June 17. Before you vote, have a look at all the contestants here:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/temp/banner_contest.htm

These are all entries. I made no pre-selection. Since the numbers and sizes of the banners are very different, you should pick the style that you like most and of which you would like see more.
Bond, James Bond
Administrator
Minor Board Deity

Licensed to Ban

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 10:20:49 AM »

I voted for Darkstone's entries. I think they have the clearest/least cluttered images, the best contrast with the rendering of the name (it really jumps out at you and grabs your attention), and have a uniform theme without looking bland. My favorite of the group is the Voyager one, though I think putting "Bernd Scheider's" below "Ex Astris Scientia" looks awkward. I know there was limited space to add text to the right of Voyager, but I think it would make more sense to put your name above the site name (that's easily changed though). It should be fairly clear that you have a Star Trek site to anyone making more than a quick perusal of the main page, but you might also want to add that description back on to his banners if they win. I like the redesigned logo as well with the point of the arrowhead being used as the upper point of the star.

Jochen G.'s win points for being the most creative though. I just prefer a more uniform theme myself.

But all of the entries were very well done.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 10:30:11 AM by Bond, James Bond » Logged
Da Vinci

Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 10:41:05 AM »

I agree. I especially like to Sovereign one.

Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum
DarkShinobi
Eminent Member

Oderint dum metuant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:16:01 AM »

I like the one with the Klingon BoP firing on the Galaxy Class. The Galaxy class looks crisp!

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 01:02:37 PM »

Here are my two cents:

- Aaron Gallo
Nicely done. Decent graphical quality. I would need to see a bit more if I decided in favor of this style though. The one thing that I don't like is the dark and matt letters. Also, overall the banner reminds me a lot of Star Trek Minutiae (font and font effects), so while it looks good it is not distinctive enough.

- Darkstone
Crisp and well-arranged. The probably most appealing graphics because they are so well-balanced. I like the re-do of the arrowhead symbol. What I don't like is the neon letters. I encouraged suggestions to change the letters, but it is rather a direction I rather wouldn't go. Also, maybe I should go for something different than space scenes on banners because everyone has them.

- Jochen G.
Excellent graphical quality. Wins originality points too. Also, the designs prove that the banners don't have to look exactly like the site. I may take some of these banners even if they don't win the race.

- John Pearse
These are the closest to the existing banners and somehow a counter-proposal to Jochen G. The new font looks great (I never really liked the current one, I took just because it represented TNG). Despite the simplicity these have the probably best graphical quality. And I love how the banners are suited for dark as well as for bright backgrounds.

- Ottens
Another set of very crisp banners. The one thing that puts me off a bit is the intense colors. Overall, the color distribution could be more balanced, and rather toned down compared to the "real" colors than intensified.

- Pleiades
Some good ideas here. However, the overall quality falls a bit short. The lettering would have to be crisper, the arrowhead is lacking any effects, the colors would have to be better harmonized.
Ottens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 01:07:28 PM »

There are banners I like from different creators.  I think you should pick graphics from different persons:

--Darkstone:

I think the NX and Intrepid ones are excellent.  The colours on the Galaxy banner make it look a bit boring, and the Sovereign one looks a bit bland, and it has a lot of stars in the background.

--John Pearse:

I think the smallest one is really nice.

--Ottens:

Obviously these are banners I like Grin  I think the 468x60 with the Galaxy is really cool, I'm very satisfied with that one.  And I particularly like the Spock one too.

FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek
Bond, James Bond
Administrator
Minor Board Deity

Licensed to Ban

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 01:14:59 AM »

- Darkstone
Crisp and well-arranged. The probably most appealing graphics because they are so well-balanced. I like the re-do of the arrowhead symbol. What I don't like is the neon letters. I encouraged suggestions to change the letters, but it is rather a direction I rather wouldn't go. Also, maybe I should go for something different than space scenes on banners because everyone has them.

To each his own I suppose, but the neon letters were one of the most appealing aspects of it to me. It really grabbed your attention and complemented the rest of the image.

- Jochen G.
Excellent graphical quality. Wins originality points too. Also, the designs prove that the banners don't have to look exactly like the site. I may take some of these banners even if they don't win the race.

Yeah, I really like those ones. Perhaps they would fit well with themed pages? The Klingon banner with a Klingon page, the Ferengi banner with a Ferengi page, and so on.

- Ottens
Another set of very crisp banners. The one thing that puts me off a bit is the intense colors. Overall, the color distribution could be more balanced, and rather toned down compared to the "real" colors than intensified.

Yeah, I agree. I think Ottens scored creativity points for not going the traditional banner route on the top two, but I'm not sure how well those blend with the rest of your site. They're sort of like a halfway point between your banners and the cool, artsy banners on Otten's site (which I really like with the overall motif of his site, but don't really go with your site design as much). Plus, some of the images seem a bit too muted and dark for my taste.

I agree with Shinobi that the BoP firing on the Galaxy class looks really sharp and is worth adopting regardless of who wins.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 09:05:09 AM by Bond, James Bond » Logged
Jimi James
So Say We All
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Minion!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 01:30:48 AM »

I voted for Darkstone becasue his banners seemed to be the most professional looking, well balanced, crisp and clear designs.

Not to negate the possibility of a single winner, but is there a way that you could implement some sort of rotating banner system, so that each time a page loads or is refreshed the banner changes?  The reason I ask is that everyone who submitted entries had at least one banner that I thought looked good enough to use and worth voting for if the vote had been for single banners and not for overall artist entries.  This way you could pick and choose several banners that you like rather then having to narrow it down to a few or only one.

Go buy my book: Method of Life
Bond, James Bond
Administrator
Minor Board Deity

Licensed to Ban

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 01:41:11 AM »

^^^ I agree. From each set there was at least one that appealed to me. Maybe if not rotating banners than different banners for different pages at least.
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 05:01:08 AM »

^^^ I agree. From each set there was at least one that appealed to me. Maybe if not rotating banners than different banners for different pages at least.

I was planning something like that. It would require to harmonize at least the fonts of the banners though because otherwise they would look just too different.
Darkstone

Hear Me Roar!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 07:35:26 AM »

I just want to thank everyone for their comments. They mean a lot since I am not a professional graphic artist. Just a person who likes to tinker around with Photoshop.  Smiley

Using different banners from different people is a really nice idea. Ottens' one with the Galaxy is really nice. (I'm a bit biased here since the Galaxy is my favorite class). There are other good banners and it'd be a shame not to display them.

Until shade is gone. Until water is gone... Into the shadow with teeth bared...
Screaming defiance with the last breath... To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
Bond, James Bond
Administrator
Minor Board Deity

Licensed to Ban

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »

^^^ Well, you did a great job. Wink Keep up the good work.
Kestra
Veteran Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 11:56:54 AM »

I voted for Darkstone because I thought his banners were consistently eye-catching yet also classy and distinct.  I'm really impressed by the overall quality of the entries, though, so it was a tough call.  Good work guys!

... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...
TNC
Board Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 06:24:17 PM »

I voted for Darkstone as well.  However everyone has at least one worthy banner (Ottens' Galaxy v. BoP and the other Galaxy, Jochen G.'s Ferengi and the Romulan banners for example).  Great job to all who everyone who entered!

“There’s a time for a scalpel and a time for a hammer.  It’s hammer time.” – Shaw – Person of Interest – “Aletheia”
Pearse
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 08:22:47 AM »

As everyone's said, all the banners are well put together, so I think everybody should be congratulated. Smiley

Though I submitted some myself, my favourites are the ones made by Jochen G. They're visually engaging and put across the message that EAS is a Star Trek site without relying on the sort of imagery you see in most banners for Trek related sites. The only thing I'd change would be the font for the website name, which isn't really legible enough.

Darkstone's ones are good, though I don't think the glow around the letters is such a good idea. It makes it eye catching, but it's not as easy to pick out what it says if you're scrolling down a page. My main concern with these is that they use other people's artwork(unless Darkstone is a member of the Light Group, I don't know..). One of the main gripes among the fan art community is seeing their work used without their permission or without being credited. The edited star logo looks great, though.

I like the font Ottens has used in his. It's nice a fresh and simple and it's easy to read even at smaller sizes. The images are good, though I think one is by Greg Martin.

My own ones... I tried to keep a uniform style that might help build up an awareness of the site. I changed the font to one that's similar, but doesn't carry the connotations associated with the TNG font, so EAS has a separate identity while still having a strong relationship with Star Trek. Lastly, I used the official blueprints of the title ships, the larger the logo having a larger ship. See if you can guess which is which. Wink The last banner is a different idea, just playing off the "from the stars, knowledge" idea.

Anyway, this is my first post*, so I might just abstain from voting. Doesn't seem right to come on here just to vote for myself.

*I had another account long ago on the ezboards version, but I can't access the email for it.
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 08:51:50 AM »

Welcome to the forum, John. Wink

Regarding the old ezboard, the database and the accounts were never transferred to the Infopop/Groupee board, and even with the lastest move to nov-net everything was lost once again, so your old log-in data is gone just as well.
Bond, James Bond
Administrator
Minor Board Deity

Licensed to Ban

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 04:25:59 PM »

Anyway, this is my first post*, so I might just abstain from voting. Doesn't seem right to come on here just to vote for myself.

Nah, go ahead. I'm sure the other guys voted for their own banners too. Welcome to the board and I hope you stick around. Smiley
Pearse
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 05:17:31 PM »

I suppose it can't hurt.

Thanks for the welcome. Smiley
Darkstone

Hear Me Roar!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 05:54:53 AM »

I'm sure the other guys voted for their own banners too.

Not all of us.  Angry

Grin Wink

Until shade is gone. Until water is gone... Into the shadow with teeth bared...
Screaming defiance with the last breath... To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
The Daft Punk

An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »

I voted for Jochen G's. It was the most visually appealing and creative. Darkstones were excellent as well, but Jochen's just struck me more.

Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson
Bernd
Administrator
Distinguished Member

Lord of the Bored

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »

Congratulations, Darkstone!

And kudos to everyone else who participated!
Bond, James Bond
Administrator
Minor Board Deity

Licensed to Ban

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 01:05:46 AM »

Congratulations Darkstone. Cool
Legion
Global Moderator
Veteran Member

Firemod

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 12:57:47 AM »

Congratulations to the winner.

J.J. Abrams about the new film:

"Its not a reboot"
TNC
Board Legend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 08:53:07 AM »

Congrats Darkstone.

“There’s a time for a scalpel and a time for a hammer.  It’s hammer time.” – Shaw – Person of Interest – “Aletheia”
Pearse
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 07:07:05 AM »

Congrats to Darkstone and everyone who sent in nifty designs. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: