Author Topic: TV series?  (Read 7782 times)

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
TV series?
« on: October 16, 2006, 04:37:35 PM »
Any news on the to be live-action TV series?

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
Re: TV series?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 06:47:53 PM »
Well, supposedly, its supposed to fill the 20 or so year gap between Episode III and Episode IV.

There's a lot of story material there, such as the hunting down of the remaining Jedi (The Empire must have hired bounty hunters for this as well) and the rise of the Rebel Alliance, so we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Tanky

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:23:24 PM »
A cool story idea I think could be a bounty hunter being ordered to kill a Jedi, only to be convinced by the Jedi to join the Rebellion. One thing with the show is that they have to kill off (or convert to Sith) all the Jedi bar Obi-Wan and Yoda before it finishes. It would kinda spoil the drama of the OT if Obi-Wan and Yoda were not the only ones to survive. In EpVI Luke in the only Jedi, or that's how I think it should be. No doubt the EU has already spoiled all this. Oh well I suppose

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 03:54:59 PM »
Well the comics imply that many go underground...

And to be honest I think it a bit unrealistic that every jedi in the galaxy gets killed bar yoda and obi...it just aint gonna happen.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:42:23 PM »
Yeah, contrary to popular mythos, Darth Vader didn't kill ALL the Jedi.

As Dominion said, many went underground.

They abandoned their Jedi identities and tried their best to blend in with "the public."

Others went to backwater worlds.

The story titled "Purge" shows Vader not really being the bad ass his reputation suggests.

A group of maybe ten Jedi laid a trap for him, and Vader fell for it.

Vader actually SURRENDERED to them after a battle. (That shocked the shit outta me!)

But...

He was basically rescued by Clone Troopers that Palpatine sent to follow him.

With the back up, and the fact that the Jedi there began to fight amongst themselves (while arguing what to do with Vader after he surrendered) Vader came out victorious.

Palpatine spread propaganda that Vader single handedly killed over a hundred Jedi at this place, alone...so, that laid the roots for his reputation.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 04:09:01 PM »
^I actually thought that 'I surrender' bit was a nasty sith trick (which worked pretty well), so they would all stop and discuss the ethics of topping him.

I dont actually like how the rise of darth novel and that comic downplayed darths powers. When growing up I held the view that Darth was the ultimate badass...I could never really reconcile why Darth didnt topple the emperor...I assumed he hadnt passed on his full knowledge to darth...yet.

Now he is a sissy, that can barely walk in a robot body that is described as so badly designed, Jawas could have put something better together. Dont get me wrong, I understand that this is a way to keep him pissed off and dark but surely there are other things to get him wound up about! Even the Emperor is described as being disapointed with him...

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 06:44:44 PM »
^I actually thought that 'I surrender' bit was a nasty sith trick (which worked pretty well), so they would all stop and discuss the ethics of topping him.

I don't actually like how the rise of darth novel and that comic downplayed darths powers. When growing up I held the view that Darth was the ultimate badass...I could never really reconcile why Darth didn't topple the emperor...I assumed he hadn't passed on his full knowledge to darth...yet.

Now he is a sissy, that can barely walk in a robot body that is described as so badly designed, Jawas could have put something better together. Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is a way to keep him pissed off and dark but surely there are other things to get him wound up about! Even the Emperor is described as being disappointed with him...

That surrender bit you stated crossed my mind also when I re-read the story, but I think he actually did surrender, and didn't feel the urge to fight again until after those Clonetroopers showed up.

And yes, these new stories did indeed give a new light to Vader. The man was in constant pain and had to use the Force almost always just to bear it. He wasn't the "badass" we thought him to be.

Post Ep III Vader was obsessed with finding Obi-Wan Kenobi. It wasn't until events in post Ep IV that his learning that the person that destroyed the first Death Star (that Vader sensed that the Force was strong in him) and learning that it was a 20 something year old boy named Skywalker that he did his math and realized who that man was.

His last connection to his wife fueled him, and became his new obsession.

For the first time, Vader thought that he and his son can defeat Palpatine together. (A notion he had in his pre-bionic form, where he and Padme would rule the galaxy.)

I think the story where he fought a clone of Darth Maul pretty much said how he felt about himself.

Did you read that one?

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 05:30:26 PM »
I think the story where he fought a clone of Darth Maul pretty much said how he felt about himself.

Did you read that one?

I pretty much got the jist from net sources/pics. IIRC he even had trouble putting maul away.

I always thought that Vader could pretty much crush anyone into a sith cube and hang them from his fighter's rear-vier mirror  ;D.. How wrong I was...

This was what I found surprising about Lucas's claim that since vader lost his arms and legs he has only about 80% of palpatines power...this implys that there are a certain amount of midi-clorians, in terms of x amount in each extremity, rather than a 'parts per million' count, which would make no difference on arm/leg loss.

I suppos he had to explain vader's subserivence somehow...

I dunno...boy-hood elusions shattered I guess...  :'(

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 06:44:24 PM »
Ah...okay.

You should see if you can buy it online. Its a very good story.

What I was basically trying to say that Vader had to impale is own lightsaber through his own body to fatally wound Maul, who was behind him...and about to deliver the killing blow.

Maul is incredibly surprised by this act...asking Vader "Who is it  that you hate so much to make you so powerful??"

(Remember...Siths view hate as a view strength through the Force. The stronger the hate, the stronger the power.)

Vader stands over the vanquished Maul as he is about to disappear over the lava fall...

(Yeah...its almost the same scenery when Vader fought Obi-Wan on Mustafar...)

And simply states.

"Myself."

8)

That was kinda deep for me.

As far as Vader midichlorian count being smaller than it was before he lost appendages, I don't follow it.

(Quit reading that SuperShadow shit...I think that's where you got that theory from.  ;) )

I do believe that the count is indeed parts per million thoughout the body, and losing a finger, or even getting a haircut wouldn't affect it.

Being a cyborg affects you, physically and mentally.

The extent of Vader's damage to his body was enough that he obviously wouldn't be as powerful or even as nimble as he was before.

He was basically subservient to Palpatine for one reason:

The man saved his life, and was almost a father figure to him.

It wasn't until Vader learned of his own son's existence that the thought of destroying Palpatine would be feasible. (Even though he had this notion before going cyborg, and Padme was still alive at the time.)

And...

He didn't see the need to act on this notion until when Palpatine was killing Luke.

In the novel, Vader was indeed trying to drag himself over the pit to fall down also, after throwing Palpatine into it...he wanted to follow his master to his own death as well, but Luke pulled him back.

That bit isn't really made clear in the theatrical version.

Lt. Saavik

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 01:27:53 AM »
"Who is it  that you hate so much to make you so powerful??"

"Myself."

In the novel, Vader was indeed trying to drag himself over the pit to fall down also, after throwing Palpatine into it...he wanted to follow his master to his own death as well, but Luke pulled him back.

That bit isn't really made clear in the theatrical version.

Fascinating

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 02:42:58 PM »
Aint it?

;D

I find reading the novels based on the movies to be that as well. Gives a lot more insight to things that didn't make it onto the big screen.

However,

The opposite is with movies based on novels.

Those don't come across quite the same in many instances.

Lt. Saavik

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 05:58:40 PM »
I don't like the novels-based-on-movies as well when they contradict something that I believe from the movie, for example, The Revenge of the Sith novel says specifically that Boga died from her fall off of the cliff, while I always like to imagine her surviving and escaping.

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 06:17:03 PM »
this may sound stupid, but who was Boga?
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 06:21:09 PM »
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 06:35:24 PM »
Oh that thing was cool, except the yelping was kinda annoying after a while.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 09:00:41 PM »
I actually felt bad for that creature.

In the novel, she actually twisted her body around to absorb blaster fire to protect Obi-Wan as they fell off the cliff.

She died to save him.

:-[

Me an' my fiance have dogs, so the animal-to-master loyalty thing kinda tugs at me.

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 09:21:32 PM »
yet in the movie they kinda left it open ended as to what happened to Boga. She was yelping as she fell, so she was still alive during the fall, and she fell in the water. Being a reptile, she could have stayed under until the coast was clear, then snuck away.

Lt. Saavik

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 04:09:17 PM »
Exactly.  That is still what I think happened to her.