Author Topic: General Star Wars Discussion Thread  (Read 70120 times)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Re: General Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »
Followup on this story:

These people have built a 21-foot flying rocket-powered replica of the X-Wing.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/star-wars/rocket+powered-21+foot-long-x+wing-model-actually-flies-305976.php

I predict that this ship will run into the ground in less then 12 parsecs.

Here's the actual launch, with predictable results:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ogYrvEEM0Ts&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Face%2Emu%2Enu%2F

And yet another X-Wing fighter is sacrificed because no one wants to tell Porkins that he's too heavy to fly.

Offline Peregrinus

• Curmudgeon-At-Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 10:32:12 PM »
Someone needs to tell them to attach the wings more solidly.

--Jonah
"That's what I love about these high school girls -- I keep getting older, they stay the same age."
--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 05:59:43 PM »
Damn, it. I was hoping someone was gonna get injured.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline e of pi

• Veteran Member
  • V=4/3(pi)r^3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 09:29:24 PM »
My favortie part is in the last four seconds, where the little boy in the foreground realizes he's just seen a big model X-wing tear itself apart into a ball of rapidly decending debries, and starts jumping up and down and cheering. Everyone else is dissapointed and sad for the creators, and he's so! Totally! Psyched!

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 07:38:29 AM »
In case anyone's going to be in the Chicagoland area over the next few months, there's a Star Wars Exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry.  It might be lame, but the museum is generally pretty good and is probably my favorite one downtown.  Plus they had a kickass videogame exhibit awhile back so I'm hoping this'll be as good.

DEFINATELY going!

;)

And I went this past Saturday!

It was good, but the people I was with thought it could have been better, and bigger.

I made note of some things that they didn't have, such as Han Solo's carbonite block and a mannequin with Darth Maul's costume...and more importantly, a display of Leia's Slave Outfit.

;D

I found myself amazed over the actually scale of various things. The Droidekas are HUGE...even the "skinny" battle droids first seen in Episode I looked BIG in person over what you see on screen.

They had some Wookie costumes from Episode III...again...HUGE and very TALL. Makes Chewbacca look like a "short" Wookie by comparison.

;)

What PISSED me off was that the exhibit for the Millennium Falcon Hyperspace simulator wasn't actually IN the main Star Wars Exhibit area, but outside in another area, and ergo, by the time we knew that, the "First Come, First Served" free passes to enter the thing was all out for that day.

:P

If you are in the Chicago area (I'm looking at you, Kes  ;) ) or you plan on coming here for some reason, it's worth going to, but don't make a special trip for it.

:D

I was actually AMAZED over the number of cars with out of state license plates (Arizona...New York...Texas to remember a few) that were in the parking lot.

And of course...if you are a collector like me, they had a bunch of stuff in the shop that I had to pull myself away from to keep from buying them. Thankfully, I already have a majority of the stuff they were pushing.  ;) I did get a few things though, like the die cast figure of Bail Organa's ship and a Jedi Fighter with the hyperdrive ring.

I did take pictures, but I haven't downloaded them into any album yet.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 02:10:56 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing the pics when you get a chance to upload them.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 07:03:42 AM »
 It was enjoyable!

;D

Look here for some pics!

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 07:26:18 AM »
This is pretty funny. Here's video of Ewan MacGregor and Nicole Kidman reacting to hearing that the title of the second Star Wars prequel is 'Attack of the Clones':

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=iwL8wlBMflA

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
Padawan Ahsoka Joins the Star Wars Cast

January 29, 2008

In 2008, Star Wars: The Clone Wars expands the Star Wars universe with plenty of surprises. This week, Lucasfilm begins offering a glimpse at some of these surprises during the annual Toy Fair events around the world. As it unveiled many of its upcoming toys and collectibles, including those from the Clone Wars TV series, among the familiar characters like Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda is a mysterious new Padawan named Ahsoka Tano.

This young Togruta is eager to prove herself as a worthy Padawan to her bold Master, Anakin Skywalker. Able to wield a lightsaber and pilot a spacecraft with great talent, Ahsoka promises to become a worthy Jedi.

There is much more to learn about Ahsoka and the role she plays in the epic Clone Wars adventures and the Star Wars saga. Keep checking StarWars.com as more news comes to light about the series and this intriguing new Padawan.

http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/news20080129.html

_________________________________________________________________________________

While there's nothing in the films specifically prohibiting Anakin from having a Padawan during the Clone Wars (since he becomes a Jedi Knight after AotC at some point), you'd think the topic would have come up once or twice during RotS. Oh, by the way, Obi-Wan, remember that Padawan I had who is clearly dead now (well, I suppose she could have requested to train with someone else)? There are several novels that this will probably conflict with, but Lucas doesn't really care about that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:26:09 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 06:50:31 PM »
Lucas has lost all touch with reality. He's pretty much in a "It's my hot universe, I do what I want!" mode.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »
Lucas has lost all touch with reality. He's pretty much in a "It's my hot universe, I do what I want!" mode.

Considering the utter shit that the EU has become, he's welcome to make any gods damned changes he wants to. Especially if it involves wrecking the utter retardation that is anything written by Karen Traviss.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
As long as he doesn't touch the Zahn trilogy I'm fine. I haven't even read any of the NJO or other novels. Apparently it's just the prequel trilogy repeated, with Jacen standing in for Anakin. Why hasn't anyone in the Star Wars galaxy said "Hey man, this same family keeps fucking things up. Think there's a connection?"

Now, if they just made KotOR 3, all would be right in the SW Universe.
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 11:23:37 PM »
As long as he doesn't touch the Zahn trilogy I'm fine. I haven't even read any of the NJO or other novels. Apparently it's just the prequel trilogy repeated, with Jacen standing in for Anakin. Why hasn't anyone in the Star Wars galaxy said "Hey man, this same family keeps fucking things up. Think there's a connection?"

Now, if they just made KotOR 3, all would be right in the SW Universe.

KotOR MMO probably = KotOR 3.

And that post NJO shit is nothing compared to the abominations Karen Traviss has pulled off. Apparently the entire Jedi council was plotting with Palpantine to make the Clone War, which was just a series of small skirmishes along the lines of the battle of Mogadishu, appear to be a massive Galactic conflict for some reason. And there were only 3 million Clone troopers ever, and Mandalorians are the Master Race.

And I'm honestly not using hyperbole here.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 12:15:47 AM »
That's fucking moronic. I'm really glad I checked out of the EU after Dark Empire and the Thrawn trilogy.

And a KotOR MMO sounds both awesome and awful. I'd love any new KotOR game, but I can't see them carrying the storyline into a MMO format. MMO's aren't exactly known for their storylines. Though the comic series is supposed to be good.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2008, 01:16:11 AM »
That's fucking moronic. I'm really glad I checked out of the EU after Dark Empire and the Thrawn trilogy.

And a KotOR MMO sounds both awesome and awful. I'd love any new KotOR game, but I can't see them carrying the storyline into a MMO format. MMO's aren't exactly known for their storylines. Though the comic series is supposed to be good.

I'd rather see the third KoTOR game be like the first 2, but end it in a way that sets up an MMO. Like WCIII did for WoW.

And SWG should always have been set in the KoTOR or NJO timeline. The first and biggest mistake they made in making that game was setting it between episodes 4 and 5. Because no one wants to play as Jedi or Sith! Until you figure out that everyone wants to play a Jedi or Sith and then proceed to have a game set between episodes 4 and 5 with a shitload of Jedi running around.

Mind you, that's without getting into the just awfulness of the way SOE dealt with that game.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »
I just saw about an hour ago a commercial of Vader's heavy breathing and "April 2008" as it moved further and further away from the camera and the spike TV logo. The writing was in Star Wars style script. Anyone know what is going on?
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Admiral TVar

• Veteran Member
  • ST: Empires. Official SCN Ninja, minor annoyance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008, 05:50:16 PM »
Spike is going to be showing the movies is all that is
"Enough is enough!, I have had it with these Mutha' F&@#in' Borg!" ~ Captain Sam L. Jackson of the USS Reliant

"That plot has more holes than a Nevada whorehouse."
~Bond in reference to the Plot of Signs

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »
This is funny.  ;D

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 02:53:00 AM »
^^^ That was great. ;D

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 06:03:37 AM »
This is pretty funny and cute as well:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=EBM854BTGL0

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Lucas sues Brit over 'Star Wars' outfits
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2008, 06:43:21 PM »
 By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer
Tue Apr 8, 2:46 PM ET

LONDON - It's a storm in a Stormtrooper's helmet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyers for George Lucas' Lucasfilm Ltd. and a British prop designer faced off in London's High Court Tuesday over rights to the molded white Stormtrooper uniforms from the "Star Wars" films.

Standing alongside the bewigged, black-robed lawyers in court was the object of their dispute a 6-foot tall, helmeted warrior of the evil Galactic Empire. Lucasfilm attorney Michael Bloch called the menacing figure "one of the most iconic images in modern culture."

Lucasfilm claims violation of copyright and trademarks by prop designer Andrew Ainsworth, who sculpted the Stormtrooper helmets for the first "Star Wars" movie in 1977. London-based Ainsworth sells replicas of the helmets and armor, which he says are made from the original molds, on his Web site.

Lucasfilm won a $20 million judgment against Ainsworth in a California court in 2006, and is seeking to have it enforced in Britain.

Ainsworth is countersuing, claiming the copyright rests with him and seeking a share of merchandising revenue from the six "Star Wars" films, which his lawyers estimate at $24 billion.

Lucasfilm and its lawyers claim the design of the Stormtroopers was created by Lucas and his artistic team, and was already in place by the time Ainsworth was hired to create the helmets.

"The look to be created had been worked on by a large team of people for perhaps more than a year," Bloch said at the start of the 10-day hearing.

Any extra security the Stormtroopers might provide wasn't sitting well with Judge Anthony Mann, who cast a glance at the silent props standing beside him.

"Are they going to stay there for the entire trial?" he asked.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/ap_en_mo/britain_stormtrooper_battle

Doesn't Luca own the rights to all things Star Wars?
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2008, 08:25:17 PM »
He probably does, but whatever. It's not like he's losing money over black market Stormtrooper outfits.

On a lighter note,New Star Wars Gangsta Rap.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »
Actually, he is losing money over it because the guy sells them without licensing it through Lucasfilm. Lucas gives permission for outside companies to produce his material under license quite a bit, but he expects to get a cut of the profits, as is his right. Just because he already has a lot of money doesn't make it right for someone to rip him off. He wouldn't have had all of that money had he not zealously guarded his licensing rights in the first place. Like his work or not, that has granted him the ability to be essentially the world's most powerful independent filmmaker and television producer.

As far as the case goes, I don't see how it could be any more clear-cut in Lucas' favor. There is concept art dating to well before 'A New Hope'  by Ralph McQuarrie (see below), based on Lucas' own rough notes about the design. While a warrior-class clad in all white is nothing new, using it on a "bad guy" and the armor design itself was fairly innovative. If anyone could make a counterclaim to owning the design, it would be McQuarrie, and he knows full well that as a production designer he is essentially a contractor working for the production company and has no right to the finished product even though he designed it. If McQuarrie understands this relationship just fine, why is it so difficult for some guy who just came in and made molds of the already existing design to understand?

If I write a screenplay and take it to Kinkos to have them make 100 bound and covered copies of it, does Kinkos own my screenplay now? Of course not, they're just performing a service, just as this guy was. He wasn't the creative force behind it or the original owner.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »
Still does it really matter? I mean, Star Wars is so huge and legendary even GL can't keep track of it all.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2008, 12:22:03 AM »
Still does it really matter? I mean, Star Wars is so huge and legendary even GL can't keep track of it all.

Driving on "The Information Superhighway":
________________________________________________________________________________________

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> [THE POINT]                << [YOU] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                                                  / v /
[YOU] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
________________________________________________________________________________________

Just missed it.

Clearly George Lucas can keep track of it all, because he's suing the guy. A large part of the reason Star Wars became so large and legendary was precisely because of the money Lucas made off of the licensed merchandise.