Author Topic: General Star Wars Discussion Thread  (Read 70121 times)

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Re: General Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »
Ok ok. Stupid question. Point taken.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2008, 01:35:21 AM »
These custom Star Wars figures are so cool:

Steampunk Star Wars

Star Wars 1942

The Customizer's Own Reinvisioning of Star Wars

Ralph MacQuarrie's Concept Art Version Of Star Wars

There are also some great Star Wars (and other franchises) dioramas and props on there.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2008, 01:53:07 AM »
The steampunk versions of Luke, Leia, and Han have a very Firefly feel to them.  Especially Han...he's working a definite Mal impression.  I also really like the Storm Trooper look.

They're all pretty cool.  I love the MacQuarrie's Concept Art figures though.  I've always thought a lot of those concepts were much cooler looking then what they finally ended up with.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2008, 02:00:50 AM »
I didn't think about it at first glance, but you're right about the Firefly resemblance. Which makes sense given the world as presented in Firefly.

Yeah, I've always liked a lot of the McQuarrie concepts, though 3PO is a bit too reminiscent of his inspiration, Maria from 'Metropolis.'

This guy should talk to Lucas about using his customs as templates for mass produced figures. That would be awesome.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:02:49 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2008, 02:14:31 AM »
His Venture Bros ones suck.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2008, 08:03:06 AM »
Indeed. But the steampunk Star Wars is made of win.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
Jaw Drops

Niiiiiiiicccceeeee. 8)  Straight from the movies.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2008, 02:12:18 PM »
Okay, I've been having RotJ on in the back ground and it's gotten to Luke getting blasted by the emporer. After Luke says 'Father, please', does anyone else think he's saying 'daddy' and stretching out the word, as he writhes in pain? I've been thinking he's been saying this for years.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2008, 01:54:04 AM »
Wow, you've hit the nail on the/your head again, GStone.

Also true was that as Palpatine was falling into the Death Star pit, he was actually saying "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'll beeeeeeeeeeeeee baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa shiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttyyyyyy commmmmmmmmic serrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeees."

No, Luke's groaning as he was writhing in pain basically amounted to "aawwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh." Ironically, it was the same sound Anakin made when he begged Padme for sex and she reluctantly gave in to stop his whining, which triggered a memory of his old self in Vader.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 01:55:48 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2008, 05:54:06 AM »
Hey, Dark Empire wasn't that bad.
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2008, 07:03:49 AM »
It (and the fact that it sold so well) started the trend of villains and heroes who never die, superweapons that just get bigger and more ridiculous, Star Destroyers that just get bigger and more ridiculous (well, TESB started that - but this magnified it), the New Republic constantly getting invaded and nearly defeated instead of being allowed to form a stable government, Coruscant's surface being completely demolished and then rebuilt, and relying on old characters and enemies instead of moving the storyline forward.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2008, 07:09:50 AM »
Yeah, but it did it alright, as opposed to what happened after (don't get me started on how retarded the storyling has no become). Don't get me wrong, in no way should Dark Empire be considered the sequel trilogy, as that honor belongs only to the Thrawn books. It's just not that bad. It shouldn't be blamed for starting moronic trends, the people who kept such trends going should.
~~~~~~~~

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2008, 07:14:15 AM »
It still sounds like he's saying Daddy. Then, he groans and writhes in pain. Where I'm saying it happens is in the shot just after it switches to the view of Palp and Vader, where it goes back on Luke getting hit with the lightning on the ground and before Palp says Luke will die.

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2008, 08:26:04 AM »
Besides the fact that nothing he said or groaned (and I can recite the entire Death Star fight word for word without looking it up) sounded like "daddy," just think about it logically for a minute. He never called him anything other than "father," and he's too old, has too unfamiliar and awkward a relationship with Vader, and is in an inappropriate situation to say "daddy." It would be completely out of place and weird to have him say daddy in that situation from a script standpoint as well.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2008, 08:41:20 AM »
Not to mention embarrassing.
~~~~~~~~

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
Besides the fact that nothing he said or groaned (and I can recite the entire Death Star fight word for word without looking it up) sounded like "daddy," just think about it logically for a minute. He never called him anything other than "father," and he's too old, has too unfamiliar and awkward a relationship with Vader, and is in an inappropriate situation to say "daddy." It would be completely out of place and weird to have him say daddy in that situation from a script standpoint as well.

I know, but it sounds like he says daddy.

--Dark Moose

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2008, 09:27:48 AM »
But it doesn't matter, except as an "Oh, that's weird."
~~~~~~~~

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2008, 08:56:58 PM »
In all the Star Wars books,how many are not centered around the Skywalker/Solo family?

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2008, 08:49:38 PM »
Mostly the stories from "Tales of the Jedi" and stuff like that.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2008, 07:25:51 AM »
Star Wars Vs. Saul Bass

I actually like these more than the original opening credits.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2008, 08:55:24 AM »
Yeah, I saw that a while back. It's great. Did you see the Special Edition version?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2yoIEWpl9oc&feature=related

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2008, 02:47:37 AM »
Did anyone catch 'Robot Chicken: Star Wars II' the other night? It was pretty good, more so because they only reused one clip from an earlier episode whereas the first one had a bunch of reused stuff.

You can watch it here if you missed it:
http://www.surfthechannel.com/episode/274/142875.html

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2008, 08:46:44 AM »
I saw it.

I think it was Sunday night and it was late...but I happened to come across it.

The scene at the Bespin Reactor Tunnel was my favorite...after having flashbacks (flashforwards?) Luke wants a Daddy and tries to come across to Vader but FALLS!!!

:D

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2008, 10:24:43 AM »
I loved Mon Mothma and Admiral Ackbar having dinner:

Mothma: "I'll try the calamari."

Ackbar: "Well, I guess I'll have the insensitive bitch then, with a side of f*ck you!"

The uncomfortable Cloud City Vader / Boba Fett / Han / Leia / Chewie dinner was great too. And Boba Fett blowing away all the Ewoks.

Offline BlackWidow

• セクシーな事務局長
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2008, 04:00:22 PM »
I just saw this thread!!!...LOL!!!...

(*^o^*)

Yes the dinner scene was funny because I imagined that would have probably been the way Vader would have acted if a teenaged Leia brought home her boyfriend Han to 'meet the family' in an 'Infinites' storyline.

(^_~)

Speaking of 'family' I am looking forward to seeing the 'Family Guy' take on 'Empire Strikes Back' when it comes out.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:03:30 PM by BlackWidow »

千に抗する強さの単独ライダー: ドラゴンの運命