Author Topic: [canon fodder]Post article ideas  (Read 64335 times)

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
Re: Post article ideas
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 08:51:05 AM »
Not really an article idea, but a remark: the *discuss at SCN* link isn't pointing correctly. This should be changed methinks :)
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »
Not really an article idea, but a remark: the *discuss at SCN* link isn't pointing correctly. This should be changed methinks :)

I've fixed that. Thanks.

Offline jgallaway81

• View Profile
    • The A&A Archives
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
Just a question... Why couldn't the MACO's still be in service all this time? Just because we haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.

I propose that the 'security" departments aboard starships are cross-trained by the "professional" war-makers in MACO, while being Starfleet personnel. The security departments are just that Starfleet's security guards.

Section 31, ground forces, starfleet intelligence, and possibly different installation security forces are all parts of MACO, which might have evolved to become Military Action/Command Operations.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »
I don't think Section 31 would be part of the MACO's.  They were their own organization even before the Federation formed.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 07:28:49 PM »
Indeed. Section 31 is not connected to any of those organizations...not even Starfleet Intelligence, which is its own separate entity.

Starfleet personnel have been shown time and time again to deny the very existance of Section 31.

Not to say that Section 31 doesn't have its own comabt personnel and such...I'm sure they do, but again...they are the people that don't exist.

Officially.

8)

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline jgallaway81

• View Profile
    • The A&A Archives
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 01:12:41 PM »
You make a good point about Section 31, it was a bad example to use on my part.

My point though was that "Starfleet" is responsible for exploration, and 'small-level' defence. But when it comes time to 'fight'... Starfleet Intelligence, the Starfleet Marines, Federation Army/Ground Forces, whatever else you can think of, all falls under the command of MACO.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 03:04:57 PM »
I would think that Starfleet Intelligence would have more of the secret agent type of officers. Trek Universe versions of the James Bond type and such.

It would be almost along the lines of the agents shown in the movie "True Lies" with a Trek twist.

Anyone here old enough (heheheheheh...yeah right...) to remember the late 80's TV show "Miami Vice" will know what I mean when I imagine Starfleet Intelligence Offiicers dealing with slave trading and narcotic trafficing...undercover, say, with the Orion Syndicate.

I agree with you that MACO would be the umbrella for Marines, Ground Forces, and such...the gritty-get-your-hands-dirty combat officers, but not necessarily Starfleet Intelligence.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 12:25:31 AM »
You make a good point about Section 31, it was a bad example to use on my part.

My point though was that "Starfleet" is responsible for exploration, and 'small-level' defence. But when it comes time to 'fight'... Starfleet Intelligence, the Starfleet Marines, Federation Army/Ground Forces, whatever else you can think of, all falls under the command of MACO.

I would imagine that Starfleet Intelligence would have multiple departments, none of which would be under the command of the Maco's.  Among these departments might be an FBI type agency that investigates domestic matters, a CIA type agency that investigates foreign matters (and would therefore operate your spies) and a military intelligence department.  This department would be responsible for maintaining the best information available for military targets and possible threats.  This department would report to the Head of Starfleet Intelligence, who would in turn report to the Chief in Command of Starfleet, who in turn reports to the Federation President.  No where in that chain of command would Starfleet Intelligence have to stop and ask the Maco's for anything, even during wartime operations.

The Macos...would most likely operate like any other division of Starfleet, such as the Explorer Corps, or the Colony Corps, Starfleet Medical, and Starfleet Intellegence, in that they they would operate as their own fully fledged division working with the rest of Stafleet to get things done, or operate under the direction of one of the other larger all encompassing departments...such as Starfleets Chief of Operations.  In either situation, Starfleet Intelligence wouldn't be subordinate to the Maco's.  They would certainly work together to accomplish a set goal, but one would not be in command of the other since they would most likely act as separate entities....much like the CIA operated with the military in Afghanistan...or in the way that the military preforms reconnaissance missions for the CIA.

In actuality, I would expect in some cases for the Maco's to be subordinate to Starfleet Intelligence.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »
I agree with Jimi's comments, they make a lot of sense. I always gathered that the MACOs acted along the lines similiar to that of contemporary Delta Force units. They exist, everyone knows they exist, but really don't get much attention or notoriety due to the types of missions they need to perform. They probably act in very limited roles and instances; getting their orders from someone higher up in the food chain, or working in unison with larger elements of Starfleet or the Federation.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 06:45:15 AM »
Jimi is probably correct. All these departments must exist in some form, and they may be in some form involved with something like the MACOs. The problem is that Starfleet Intelligence was only mentioned and never played an active role, while the "more interesting" Section 31 was given much exposure. Everything else seemed to be regular Starfleet units which were more or less alike (same uniforms, same ranks and positions). This distorts our perception of Starfleet as an organization that is probably much more diverse.

Offline smilem

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »
Does anyone know why Klingons have pinkish blood in ST VI but red blood in the series?  I recall seeing Worf getting beaten by Jem' Hadar and bleeding red. 

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 08:55:31 PM »
Does anyone know why Klingons have pinkish blood in ST VI but red blood in the series?  I recall seeing Worf getting beaten by Jem' Hadar and bleeding red. 

Latent Augment DNA.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 01:18:52 AM »

Possibilities:

- The Albino, out for vengeance against his Klingon enemies, attacked the Klingon Empire with a bloodborne pathogen that killed millions, and the only treatment resulted in the temporary alteration of the color of Klingon blood.

- The destruction of Praxis had immediate effects on the environment of Q'o'nos, resulting in altering the color of the blood either directly or as a result of medication needed to resist the environmental changes. When the environment was fixed or they moved to a new planet long term, their blood returned to normal.

- During a certain time of year all Klingon warriors ritually dose themselves with a non-fatal but extremely discomforting bloodborne chemical as either a right of passage and/or as a means of building up immunity to exposure to a broad spectrum of toxins they might encounter in the field. This chemical changes the color of the blood, and when mixed with bloodwine, becomes extremely painful on the level of the right of passage involving painsticks. So Klingons will often challenge each other to drinking contests during this time to see who can hold out the longest without passing out.

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
  • No, really, I'm a moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »
FYI, I'm calling dibs on a projected timeline for the new timeline.  ;D
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline lt ponytail

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »

Possibilities:

- The Albino, out for vengeance against his Klingon enemies, attacked the Klingon Empire with a bloodborne pathogen that killed millions, and the only treatment resulted in the temporary alteration of the color of Klingon blood.

- The destruction of Praxis had immediate effects on the environment of Q'o'nos, resulting in altering the color of the blood either directly or as a result of medication needed to resist the environmental changes. When the environment was fixed or they moved to a new planet long term, their blood returned to normal.

- During a certain time of year all Klingon warriors ritually dose themselves with a non-fatal but extremely discomforting bloodborne chemical as either a right of passage and/or as a means of building up immunity to exposure to a broad spectrum of toxins they might encounter in the field. This chemical changes the color of the blood, and when mixed with bloodwine, becomes extremely painful on the level of the right of passage involving painsticks. So Klingons will often challenge each other to drinking contests during this time to see who can hold out the longest without passing out.

another idea is that when a phaser hits hemoglobin, the hemoglobin turns to a pinkish color, or maybe a chemical pollutant in the Klingon homeworld's atmosphere caused by the praxis explosion, when hit by a phaser, does something that turns blood pink
"My work is as good as the aim of a stormtrooper."
--------------------------------------------------------
General art thread

Offline william.paul

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »

another idea is that when a phaser hits hemoglobin, the hemoglobin turns to a pinkish color, or maybe a chemical pollutant in the Klingon homeworld's atmosphere caused by the praxis explosion, when hit by a phaser, does something that turns blood pink

Wasn't Gorkon drinking at the dinner? I don't know about you guys, but funny things happen to my bloodstream when I consume alcohol. Maybe the same is true and it hadn't all passed from his system? Granted I haven't watched the movie in ages, but you never know.

On a different note: I'd like to take a shot about the evolution of the Nebula class from the Phoenix to the Bonchune in Message in a Bottle. In addition, I'd like to address the  background of the Nebula class.  Unless you feel it has been addressed sufficiently already.