Author Topic: Double Warp Bubble  (Read 15245 times)

Offline Volpe

• View Profile
Double Warp Bubble
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:35:15 AM »
i'm wondering if anyone here might have seen somewhere that i haven't what would happen if a ship were to produce a second warp bubble overtop of the first one?  could this maybe be how some transwarp drives work?
Just because I don't think like everyone else doesn't mean I'm crazy.

And Remember, Guns don't kill people, Apes with guns kill people.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
Re: Double Warp Bubble
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:43:39 AM »
Hmm, thats interesting, but if you look at the displays during TNG it sort of shows many overlapping "waves" to the Warp Field, I'm not sure if they're always in motion and represents collapsing and expanding waves or if they're static, the displays weren't really animated back then.

The Borg use a very "shaped" and even sort of "pointy" Warp Field/SIF combination to enter Transwarp, expanding both like a spearhead around it.  Or so 7 of 9 pointed out in one episode, its never been stated how other species or even other Borg ships do the same, but yeah I could see the Excelsiors being an early change over from a more static singular bubble to a multiple waveform variety.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:22:14 AM »
Hmm, thats interesting, but if you look at the displays during TNG it sort of shows many overlapping "waves" to the Warp Field, I'm not sure if they're always in motion and represents collapsing and expanding waves or if they're static, the displays weren't really animated back then.

In ENT 'Divergence' when they merged the warp fields, they had multiple overlapping layers that fluctuated and flowed around the ship.

in TNG 'Remember Me' the warp bubbles that Crusher was caught in were constantly shrinking, though that didn't represent a normal situation of course.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »
The first image closely resembles what I was thinking of, might still take a look for the TNG display.

Although if the ship had more coil series, and was able to use them at two or more driving frequencies by having different alloys in each, maybe it could create an overall Warp Field and one more defined and shaped acting with it to create a sleaker Warp effect?

Perhaps the reason for the third Nacelle in the "All Good Things..." future with there being three coil series and a scale recalibration.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »

<Off Topic>
Wow, you know, cut the bottoms off the saucers and squish those together, and you might almost have a good looking ship design!
</Off Topic>

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »
I actually did a quick kitbashing of exactly that when the episode first came out. I'll see if I can find it.

[edit] Here it is:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 03:51:08 PM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »
I actually did a quick kitbashing of exactly that when the episode first came out. I'll see if I can find it.

[edit] Here it is:

It's 50% less fugly by volume!

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 04:47:40 PM »
...."USS"?

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:40:24 PM »
A mistake of the art department, just like a diploma seen in Storm Front that said "Starfleet Academy" on it. 
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Volpe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »
if i remember correctly the borg had transwarp conduits that they entered at stations.  what i ment by 2 bubbles is that there would be 2 sets of layers rather than just one set.

Offline SeQuBu

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 05:13:29 PM »
There was an episode in TNG where Wesley created a Warp Field/Bubble in the Engine room of the E-D at the exact moment when they where testing the engine & Beverly got trapped in an Alternative Enterprise
USS Esmeralda:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_______________________________________:::::::::: ____________.---------.____________
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: / ---´-------------------------------´..:::\\ \___\ ___.---'----------/-------------------------------`---._
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::`-------------------------------.-------.-----------'----===============================`
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /___\_____\____,---'--------------------,---------------'
"...where the ocean meets the sky, I´ll be sailing"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: `----._______,------------'

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 11:07:21 PM »
^^^ Hey, Esmerelda. Good to see you again. How have you been?

Offline SeQuBu

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 12:38:17 AM »
With a lot of things to do, but doing good (having no Internet conection at home doesn't realy help to get into SCN ;) )
USS Esmeralda:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::_______________________________________:::::::::: ____________.---------.____________
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: / ---´-------------------------------´..:::\\ \___\ ___.---'----------/-------------------------------`---._
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::`-------------------------------.-------.-----------'----===============================`
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /___\_____\____,---'--------------------,---------------'
"...where the ocean meets the sky, I´ll be sailing"::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: `----._______,------------'

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 07:58:32 AM »
if i remember correctly the borg had transwarp conduits that they entered at stations.  what i ment by 2 bubbles is that there would be 2 sets of layers rather than just one set.

Borg ships can use Transwarp drive own their own, even way back in TNG they were able to.

And as we've shown most ships, even of older design like the NX-01, use multiple layers of field rather than one or even two.

Offline Volpe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 05:39:46 AM »
my understainding is that its not exactly multiple layers but waves of the same layer like a radio signal.  if you look at a warp field diagram it shows all the "layers" coming from the same point and radiating out from that point in waves.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
Yes, their point of origin as generated by the coils, since the ship needs two massive sets of ultra-density metal coils to make one multi-layer field, a second would need a secondary generation system.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »
Most modern starships carry a second set of coils, just not the same type as the warp engines and not designed to do the job of the warp coils. Impulse driver coils.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »
Yeah but his original point was about starships having two distinct Warp fields, since they're not bubbles and have to be generated in a complex manner, and the fact nearly all species and ships use one field, even the Borg, I think we can assume it can't be done or theres just no point.

Offline Ozzymandeus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »
Am i a dumbass, or all yall talking about 2 warp layers, cuz if so thats one slow starship

isnt the whole reason of Warp 10 being unattainable because the ships cant support a 10th layer with stability

each warp factor is a new outer layer

tell me if im wrong or misunderstanding you, ill make a representation of what im talking about

Each warp factor is a layer moving within a layer

okay, it wont show the image so youll have to download it
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:15:05 PM by ragnvaldb »
You are the Smartass! In fact, you could very well be the anti-Christ, as you are almost the exact opposite of everything Jesus was supposed to be. While Jesus says love your enemy, you say love beating the crap out of your enemy. While Jesus raises the dead, you raise hell. While Jesus walks on water, you tend to sink. You probably consider people who are emotional and gentle to be big pussies who are obviously in lesser stature than you. You have many flaws, despite your seeming intelligence and cool-headedness. For instance, you aren't very nice. In fact, you're probably an asshole.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »
If you want to post in-line images you have to put your image in a image hosting site (such as photobucket) and then click the "insert image" button on the post window and put the image address in between the brackets.

Like so...
Code: [Select]
[img]insert picture url here[/img]
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Ozzymandeus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 11:05:07 PM »
i know how to post,but it wouldnt put it on here, so i just attached it, here see i have a photobucket account check it out

photobucket
You are the Smartass! In fact, you could very well be the anti-Christ, as you are almost the exact opposite of everything Jesus was supposed to be. While Jesus says love your enemy, you say love beating the crap out of your enemy. While Jesus raises the dead, you raise hell. While Jesus walks on water, you tend to sink. You probably consider people who are emotional and gentle to be big pussies who are obviously in lesser stature than you. You have many flaws, despite your seeming intelligence and cool-headedness. For instance, you aren't very nice. In fact, you're probably an asshole.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 07:01:50 AM »
The hadoken one looks awesome.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Ozzymandeus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 07:22:39 AM »
that is one of many moments where black mage draws light from his surroundings

follow the link in my sig
and you can read the whole comic strip, thats #5 i think so you might have to start over
im on #365 of 890+

Offline jgallaway81

• View Profile
    • The A&A Archives
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »
I got to thinking about the whole 'one warp field within a second warp field' theory.

I don't know if this has ever been shown on screen, but the TNG tech manual states that the primary computer cores are all equipped with non-propulsive warp fields to increase the processing speed of the optical data processors.

Just a thought for ya'll.

Offline Volpe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 11:37:07 PM »
not to be a necro but i finally found the site again, my bookmark took me to a site offering to sell me the address  :o.

the computer cores are enclosed within a stationary field to increase their calculations per second.  so while that field is up the time inside in the core is moving faster than the time outside of the core.  which to me always kinda sounded like that should cause a problem between communicating with the parts of the system outside the field.  this could also be a reason for the intergration of bio-neural gel packs into the computer system as a way of taking some of the calculations away from the core and its field problem (at least that i see there might be).