Author Topic: Double Warp Bubble  (Read 15246 times)

Offline prometheuspan

• View Profile
Re: Double Warp Bubble
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 10:07:53 PM »
a more accurate physics explanation for the warp scale itself might be that the number listed is actually the number of bubbles being used.

Several different display systems on different occasions would seem to support this idea.

"THE" warp bubble would thus actually be composed of several warp bubbles, but they are so close to each other that you can't see the layering.

The image of ENT in that warp bubble and other similar images- I'm sorry, but any real warp field would have to by definition be enormous compared to
the vessel- what you are looking at thus can only be explained as a conceptual sketch pretending to be a real time image.

Of course, I'm just a vulcan, and have no regard at all for "canon."

Offline Oztrekkie

• View Profile
    • Life, The Universe, And Everything
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »
not to be a necro but i finally found the site again, my bookmark took me to a site offering to sell me the address  :o.

the computer cores are enclosed within a stationary field to increase their calculations per second.  so while that field is up the time inside in the core is moving faster than the time outside of the core.  which to me always kinda sounded like that should cause a problem between communicating with the parts of the system outside the field.  this could also be a reason for the intergration of bio-neural gel packs into the computer system as a way of taking some of the calculations away from the core and its field problem (at least that i see there might be).

The subspace field surrounding the computer cores does not change the speed of time within the core, but just enables the microprocessors to transmit electricity faster than the speed of light. Subspace fields do not alter time, just the lightspeed barrier.
"bortaS bIr jablu'DI', reH QaQqu' nay' "
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 09:45:21 PM »
Yeah, even modern CPUs are extremely inefficient when it comes to wasted computing cycles.  We are at the point now where the speed of light is the major bottleneck to computing, not how fast the processor is.

My professor used a physical example that really drove that home to me.

A 1 gigahertz processor means the processor can issue a new command 1 billion times per second.  The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second.  When you divide that out, you find that means electricity (which moves at the speed of light) can only travel about 1 foot through wiring before the next processor command gets issued.

Stop and think about how much wiring is in your computer.  It means that many times the CPU is capable of issuing a new command, but the last command it gave hasn't even REACHED the various parts of the computer it was issued to, and it has to wait until the signal gets there and the component returns and acknowledgement.

Granted, there are many ways we currently have of trying to get around this problem.  Pipelining is all about splitting up commands so that the CPU gets a solid stream of inputs and outputs staggered to different components to try and maximize uptime, but that has problems of it's own (which are too much to get into here).  Its also why miniaturization of components makes them faster.  Smaller hardware, less wiring, the faster a command can make a complete circuit of the system.

So yeah, just speeding up the CPU won't help, we're already just about at that limit right now (its why you haven't seen processor speed grow as rapidly as it used to).  What we need is a way to send signals faster than the speed of light to various components (which is one area quantum entanglement could come in handy).

Trek hand waves that away by basically dropping a warp field on the computer car to let it go faster than light.