Author Topic: Preparing for the final assult...  (Read 14503 times)

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
  • No, really, I'm a moderator
    • View Profile
Preparing for the final assult...
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »
I'm planning on submitting some of my designs, but I was wondering. Are their any designs of mine that look Joat worthy, or that you want to see in JoaT's hallowed halls? :)
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline e of pi

• Veteran Member
  • V=4/3(pi)r^3
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing for the final assult...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »
Hmmm...some of yours might be, with a write-up. I don't really know, I'm not a mod and don't really know the rules. Maybe you could put up a review of your most complete ones? Give an idea of what's on the table?

Offline shran

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »
Try to put in as much detal as possible, it shows you put more effort in it. If neccesary, make the images up to ten times as large and even full in the hull plating, put a human in for size reference, and write-ups. Specs and history can give you a greater chance to get in as well. 
A terrible enfant called Peter/
Once sprinkled his bed with a gheeter/
His father got whoost/
Took hold of a cnoost/
And gave him a pack on his meeter.

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:01:30 PM »
Yes, I know this. Are there any designs i have now that look close to ready?
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »
So would it be relatively safe to say that, with a write up, the Copenhagen and Tacoma would have a better than 50% chance of entry?
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 06:52:29 PM »
They are the most detailed, so it would be less work to get them in.

On the other hand I'd like to see a few more alien designs on JoAT.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 07:19:35 PM »
I would LOVE to submit the Birok, but it seems pretty pointless, as no one really likes the design.
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
Well Bernd and I each posted a link to other Klingon ships you would post.  Personally I'd really like to se the Vulcan ship get in since there aren't that many Vulcan designs around.  However that would require some work (IIRC JoAT requires a few different views).

The Vaqcharghwi-Class looks like it wouldn't require that much work to make it.  Just a write up and maybe a front view.

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 08:22:33 PM »
OK, so I guess you should expect

Copanhagen Class
Marconi Class
Tacoma Class

Within a week or so

And I'll begin R+D on a redraw of the Kir'Kin'Tha
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 02:26:26 PM »
While I think the pictures are a bit standard, I would give you the green light. Free 3D programs are around enough nowadays so I would advice you download some of them and experiment with them. I think the 'blandness' of the designs disappears when you make 3D models out of them :)
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Commodore Horton

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »
I downloaded google sketchup, but it confuses the heck out of me. My goal is to be comparable in quality to guido, as I understand he uses paint.
Nos Vadum Triumphus

Offline shran

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
He uses paint, but the parts he uses are probably very small, with a saucer probably consistin out of multiple components, and being compressed in size. Also, he knows how to bend and bow the proportions of these parts very well. Also, adopt his colour palette, and try to deduce the parts from what you saw. Try to make a kit of your own of neccesary to familiarize yourelves with kitbashing while mastering it as well.

As  for sketchup, it is quite good, and RICK King AIFD, Borgman and some others probably use it too. Try to render the models in kerkythea, an advice that will be confirmed by Borgman.
A terrible enfant called Peter/
Once sprinkled his bed with a gheeter/
His father got whoost/
Took hold of a cnoost/
And gave him a pack on his meeter.

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 02:32:11 AM »
Indeed ;) If you start using SketchUp, give me a ring Horton, I'll see what I can do for you to giude you through it :)
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline brichard001

• Ask me about Canon. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 03:37:22 AM »
I third Sketchup.   Once you sit down and start playing with it you'll catch on.   Also look around in the repositories online and download some existing Sketchup models to take apart and study. 
Local fire-department is seeking a siren for new fire-truck. Must be willing to suffer near constant groin injury and genital trauma. No experience required, will train. This is a temp-hire position.

Offline Rick King AIFD

• Veteran Member
  • official what-iffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 02:31:38 PM »
I use Sketchup almost exclusively now. I have not yet downloaded kerkythea, as my current system does have the RAM and processor speeds and capacity to use Kerky effectively - Kerky uses a LOT of RAM.

However, whenever we begin to see the insurance companies settlements from the car accident, A newer system will be at the top of the list.

Now, I still use Version 5 of Sketchup as I found Version 6 to be quite buggy when I first tried it out, I have not tried it since, so they may have fixed a good many of the bugs. Sketchup is very easy to use, especilly if you take adavantage of the built in tutorials and video tutorials.

I still use paint and the shipkits a little bit, mostly just to concrete an idea and try out combinations here and there till a get a idea fleshed out, then I go to Sketchup from there.
........If I have failed, then I have failed while daring greatly, henceforth my place shall never be found amoung those timid souls who know not the thrill of victory or bitter defeat....