Author Topic: Star Trek Roleplaying  (Read 9305 times)

Offline liebkraft

• View Profile
Star Trek Roleplaying
« on: March 02, 2008, 07:47:11 AM »
Since I'm not only a big Star Trek fan but also a regular RPG-Player I started to collect everthing that is available on materials for Star Trek RPG. Problem is, that while there were some attempts to create product lines, they all were stopped only a short while after having published the first books. Therefore it's sometimes a bit hard to find out which books have actually been published, which not, where to get free stuff from the net and where to buy books only published as PDFs.
So if anybody has any links to sites containing lists of published materials or downloadable free stuff, please let me know (thanks!)
'Play with friends, be a Hero!'
www.halle-der-helden.at (we do RPG)

Offline emperorkalan

• View Profile
Re: Star Trek Roleplaying
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:33:52 AM »
Since I'm not only a big Star Trek fan but also a regular RPG-Player I started to collect everthing that is available on materials for Star Trek RPG. Problem is, that while there were some attempts to create product lines, they all were stopped only a short while after having published the first books. Therefore it's sometimes a bit hard to find out which books have actually been published, which not, where to get free stuff from the net and where to buy books only published as PDFs.
So if anybody has any links to sites containing lists of published materials or downloadable free stuff, please let me know (thanks!)
There have been three (and a half) Trek RPGs over the years, two of which were a bit more extensive than "only a short while after having published the first books":
http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showline&gamelineid=92

FASA's, which ran from ~1982 to ~1988-89 (tightened licensing oversight with the start of TNG made it pretty much impossible to continue their line)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_role-playing_game_%28FASA%29

Last Unicorn Games's RPG was only published between 1998 and 2000 (when they were bought up by Wizards of the Coast), but in that time they put out about 19 products.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_RPG_(Last_Unicorn)

Those are the "big two".
WotC published a version through Decipher, but a lot of that appears to have been "shorter versions" of the LUG material.
The "half" is the Priime Directive" RPG from the Starfleet Battles people, and a GURPS version thereof.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:02:14 PM »
try UCIP man!!!!  www.ucip.org Trust me.  one of the best!

Offline liebkraft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 01:55:34 PM »
thanks guys, I'll look over it asap  ;D

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »
I would suggest you look into Mutants & Masterminds 2e by Green Ronin.
Its built as a Super Hero system, but it is immensely flexible, and can easily handle Star Trek.  You just religate many of the powers to Device status, so that your Blast is a Device (Phaser), your universal translator and radio are your Device (Communicator), etc.

Offline liebkraft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 01:50:59 AM »
thanks again for the info, I already know a link where to get all the books of the system and will try  ;D

Offline QuantumData

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »
I've always wanted to play a Klingon werewolf but nobody's let me.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »
I've always wanted to play a Klingon werewolf but nobody's let me.

Of course not, you'd need to be a were-targ.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »
And of course the only way to kill a were-targ is with a latinum bat'leth.  Even if you vaporize a were-targ with a disruptor or phaser it's still technically alive.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:59:07 PM »
And of course the only way to kill a were-targ is with a latinum bat'leth.  Even if you vaporize a were-targ with a disruptor or phaser it's still technically alive.
Silly boy, latinum is a liquid at room temperature, like mercury.  You have to press it into worthless base metals (like gold) before it becomes useful for anything. :P

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »
Silly boy, latinum is a liquid at room temperature, like mercury.  You have to press it into worthless base metals (like gold) before it becomes useful for anything. :P

I know that latinum is liquid at room temp.  That's the point.  You can't actually have a latinum bat'leth, so technically you can't kill a were-targ.  :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:33:36 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 02:36:19 PM »
Ah, touché.