Author Topic: "Caprica" prequel has been greenlit  (Read 13401 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
"Caprica" prequel has been greenlit
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:51:29 AM »
Sci Fi unveils Battlestar Galactica prequel

Production is set for the spring (I guess they mean this year).  So they might start showing it in the fall, maybe.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
Re: "Caprica" prequel has been greenlit
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
Hooray! I hope this gets Flash Gordon cancelled!
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:18:08 AM »
More new about Caprica.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=50670

Caprica Very Different From Battlestar

David Eick and Ronald D. Moore, executive producers of SCI FI Channel's original series Battlestar Galactica, told SCI FI Wire that their upcoming prequel Caprica will be a markedly different series.

Eick compared it to the feature film American Beauty, while Moore referenced the TV soap opera Dallas.

"Caprica is a story that Ron Moore and I concocted with [co-executive producer] Remi Aubuchon, and we're casting as we speak," Moore said in an interview at SCI FI Channel's upfront presentation to advertisers in New York on March 18. "I'm very excited about that. If Battlestar Galactica is Black Hawk Down, I would say that Caprica is American Beauty. Caprica is all about the inner lives of the people on a planet and how their personal relationships as well as their professional relationships inform what will become the creation of the Cylons."

Moore, a former Star Trek writer and producer, said that Caprica is not a show along the lines of any Trek spinoff series. "It's a different animal altogether," he said in a separate interview. "Unlike those shows, which are all riffs on the same notion of what Star Trek was, Caprica is really a completely different kind of genre. We're trying to do something different."

Instead of Galactica's action-adventure space-based war show, Caprica will tell a story that takes place before any of the wars happened. "This is really more of a sci-fi Dallas," Moore said. "It's a political story, a family story. It's about the creation of the Cylons, and it's about a company. It's planet-based. It's very character-oriented, very serialized and very much about the characters. It's a whole different genre, and that's what makes it exciting."

Production will begin this spring on a two-hour backdoor pilot. Moore said he will be "very involved" with the pilot, but stressed that it's too soon to say whether he'd remain on board if SCI FI Channel gave the green light for a weekly Caprica show.

"If it goes to series, it kind of depends when that happens and what I'm doing," he said. "We'll just wait and see." --Ian Spelling

I hope that if it does get picked up that Moore stays with it.  After Bionic Woman, I don't entirely trust Eick as it's clear that Moore is the real talent behind the show.  Not to mention that any fan of Lost or Alias will tell you how a show can decline once the original creator leaves and hands over control to someone else.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »
A sci-fi Dallas? :D
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »
Not to mention that any fan of Lost or Alias will tell you how a show can decline once the original creator leaves and hands over control to someone else.

Since when has Lost declined?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »
Granted, it's still better then most of the rest of what's on TV, but it stopped being Abrams' show when he left and turned over control after the first season.  And maybe Abrams himself had no idea where it was going, but it definitely felt like there was a lack of direction after Abrams left, particularly in the way that things kept dragging on and they kept adding more mysteries without ever solving the ones that had been around since the beginning of the show.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 09:31:11 PM »
Granted, it's still better then most of the rest of what's on TV, but it stopped being Abrams' show when he left and turned over control after the first season.  And maybe Abrams himself had no idea where it was going, but it definitely felt like there was a lack of direction after Abrams left, particularly in the way that things kept dragging on and they kept adding more mysteries without ever solving the ones that had been around since the beginning of the show.

No. They have shed light on the vast majority of the mysteries presented in season one. It's just done gradually and answers usually come with more questions. Which is how good shows do things. The only 2 big unanswered questions remaining from the beginning of the show are "What is the monster?", "What is the island?", and "What's the deal with Jacks father?". The rest have been answered.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:33:06 PM by Flagg »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 01:03:20 PM »
Some details about Caprica have apparently come to light.

Frak yeah! Not only is Battlestar Galactica back this Friday, but I've just wrangled up some juicy scoop about the Caprica spinoff.

In case you haven't heard, Sci Fi has ordered a pilot called Caprica from BSG creator Ronald D. Moore. It goes back in time to before the creation of the Cylons for a look at life in the Colonies before, well, everything blew up.

Caprica is the story of two families, the Graystones and the Adams (better known to us now as the Adamas), and we'll be meeting the man who fathered and grandfathered the goodness that is Bill and Lee Adama (Edward James Olmos and Jamie Bamber). Interestingly, when I interviewed Ronald D. Moore last year, Caprica's plotlines were not directly tied to the characters we know from the current series. I asked RDM if there might be any Thrace-Adama-Agathon-Roslin ancestors in Caprica, and he told me, "Right now, there are no ancestors of anybody in the pilot." Well, looks like that changed in the intervening time, and thank goodness!

Read on to find out how the Graystones and the Adamas may have inadvertently started the First Cylon War...

The Graystones include father Daniel, a computer genius; mother Amanda, a brilliant surgeon and unfaithful wife; and their daughter, Zoe, who is martyred to her boyfriend's religious fanaticism—but not before she installs the rudimentary elements of her personality and DNA into a machine, creating a digital twin of herself, Zoe-A.

After the human Zoe's death, Daniel uses these raw materials, some stolen technology and his own grief to cobble together "a robotic version of his dead daughter." This robot version, known as Zoe-R, is a Cylonic Eve, the first of her kind. (Dun-dun-dun!)

And in this corner, ladies and gentlemen, meet Grandpapadama! As Adm. Bill Adama once told us, his father, Joseph, was a great attorney of his day, fighting for the civil rights of the Twelve Colonies' downtrodden and marginalized. But that's not his whole story: Joseph Adama's wife and daughter were also killed in that same suicide bombing that took Zoe Graystone's life.

The two fathers, Daniel Graystone and Joseph Adama, work together on replicating their children in cyborg form, but "Joseph is ethically appalled by the robot version of his dead [daughter], Tamara, and repents his actions." Those Adamas are all hardass conscience, aren't they?

Still, the one happy result of the Adama family tragedy is that Joseph and his young son, the 9-year-old Bill, grow closer to each other, and Joseph begins to explain their family's story to his sad, somber child. But will their bond prepare them for the havoc soon to be wreaked by the rise of the Cylon nation?

So let's see: religious fanaticism, political intrigue, industrial espionage, personal anguish, crazy robots. Check, check, check, check, check. Sounds like a Battlestar Galactica spinoff to me! What do you guys think?! Thumbs-up, thumbs-down, wait and see? Post your thoughts in the comments.

Original article: http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=e1304fb7-b29d-4d3e-9873-d2230fcfc998

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 01:05:45 PM by Jimi James »

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 01:49:04 PM »
So it might provide some background on the creation of the final five humanoid Cylons then, since they lived amongst humans for decades. Tigh for example as far back as young Bill Adama.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
More detailed info on casting information has come out.  Comments from the author are in bold.

Original Article: http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/04/03/exclusive-caprica-casting-info-revealed/

Now that we got the confirmed greenlight for the Battlestar Galactica spin-off series, Caprica, of course we can expect to see more details of the series trickle in. Just today, for example, sources have provided us with casting information for the series. Cool stuff!

Anyone familiar with the details of the show knows that Caprica will center around two families, the Graystones and the Adamas, and the goings on leading up to the Cylons as we see them on the show now. Now we can get a sense of what the characters on the show will look like and perhaps make our own wishlist of who we'd like to see in the roles. I warn you that there are what to some will consider SPOILERS ahead.

(I put my own comments in bold below)

[DANIEL GRAYSTONE] In his early 40s, a spectacularly wealthy computer engineer / designer, Daniel is married to Amanda and the father of Zoe -- but his extensive business interests leave him little time for his child, whom he still sees as a little girl in pink shoes. Busy trying to design an intelligent robot, Daniel is devastated when Zoe is killed in a suicide bombing, and has no idea that his daughter had a complex, very secret life. After learning that his own wizardry with computer technology was exceeded by his own child, who found a way to upload her personality into an online avatar, Daniel realizes that with a little stolen technology, and with a little intellectual elbow grease, he can create a robotic version of his dead daughter -- and in doing so, he creates the first Cylon...SERIES REGULAR - SUBMIT ALL ETHNICITIES.

As I never followed the original BSG series, I wonder if what Graystone creates is meant to have any resemblance to a human other than being a biped. I can't imagine he'd make his late Zoe look like a Centurion.

[JOSEPH ADAMS] In his 40s, he is a Tauron, an off-worlder who has emigrated to Caprica; his hair is already starting to go iron-grey and his entire demeanor is that of someone who's already put on more miles than most men his age. There's a gravitas to Joseph, an intelligence, and a strong sense of someone you wouldn't want as your enemy. He has risen above the traditional Caprican prejudice against Taurons, and has become a powerful, influential defense attorney, with powerful ties to the Tauron crime underworld. His wife and daughter are killed in the same blast that takes out Zoe, and he bonds with the much-wealthier Daniel in a common grief. A man who has done a few crooked things in his life (largely in order to use his position to protect his fellow Taurons), Joseph reluctantly agrees to assist Daniel in his grief-fueled efforts to create robotic versions of both their children -- but after stealing vital technology from a Tauron computer developer, Joseph is ethically appalled by the robot version of his dead Tamara, and repents his actions. Left with a 9 year old son to care for, Joseph reaches out to young William, revealing to him that his last name is really Adama...SERIES REGULAR - SUBMIT ALL ETHNICITIES. HOWEVER, PREFER LATINO.

At first I thought the "Adams" was a typo, but it seems this was an alias Joseph used at some point. It's no wonder why the Cylons have such an interest in Bill Adama, seeing as his own father was quite instrumental in assisting with their creation.

[AMANDA GRAYSTONE] In her late 30s, Daniel's wife, she is a successful surgeon with a volatile streak to her, who has married well and dearly loves her daughter. Devastated after the death of her daughter Zoe, Amanda turns for consolation, not to her husband but to an ex-lover, Tomas Vergis, a Tauron who is one of her husband's competitors. Furious with herself for having cheated on her husband, Amanda in fact is something of a double agent, plucking information about Vergis' intellectual property from his blabbing mouth and taking it home to Daniel to use as he sees fit...SERIES REGULAR - SUBMIT ALL ETHNICITIES.

You'll note that Tomas Vergis isn't a casting choice here. Either he's already cast or he's an extremely minor role.

[SISTER CLARICE WILLOW] In her mid 30s to 50s, dressed in the traditional clerical robes of an Athenian High Priestess, Sister Clarice is the headmistress of the Athena Academy, a private religious school, where Zoe, Lacy and Ben are all enrolled. A gracious, eloquent, thoughtful woman who grew up in a slum and has seen it all, she's elegant and sophisticated -- and utterly duplicitous. In fact, she is a closet monotheist, and has taken the best and brightest of her students and shared her own (illegal, closeted) beliefs with them -- only to see her efforts literally explode in her students' faces...SERIES REGULAR - SUBMIT ALL ETHNICITIES.

This sounds like a role that's going to require quite a lot of depth. Very interesting with the whole "closeted monotheist" thing, as it shows such beliefs didn't just come from the sentient minds of Cylons alone.

[ZOE GRAYSTONE / ZOE-A / ZOE-R] 16 going on 40 (18 TO PLAY 16), with severe hair and makeup, Zoe is the daughter of Daniel and Amanda Graystone, and she's a girl with many secrets. A computer genius like her father, she has found a way to enliven a holographic avatar of herself, by uploading all her memories and DNA into the hologram, thus creating her online twin, Zoe-A. A closet monotheist in the polytheistic culture of Caprica, and obliged to perform her religion in private, she tries to leave the planet with her boyfriend, Ben, only to be killed when Ben suicide-bombs them both into oblivion. But Zoe-A is left behind, a baffled, grieving digital duplicate of the real, flesh and blood Zoe. With the collaboration of Daniel and Joseph, Zoe-A is downloaded into a robotic brain, thus becoming the first Cylon: Zoe-R...SERIES REGULAR - SUBMIT ALL ETHNICITIES.

Now this is an awesome twist. I wonder what happened to Zoe-B through Zoe-Q.

[WILLIAM ADAMS] 9 years old, Latino, Joseph's sole surviving child, William is inward and withdrawn in the best of times, and grows more taciturn after the death of his mother and sister. Barely aware of his father, whose work kept him away from the family, William is a stoical Tauron who keeps his deepest thoughts to himself and rarely smiles. Promised a closer relationship by Joseph, he is taken aside, taught the basics of his Tauron heritage, and told that his Tauron name is William Adama...7 / 13 SERIES REGULAR -TO PLAY EDWARD JAMES OLMOS AT 9 YEARS OLD.

Big shoes to fill for a 9 year old.

[BEN STARK / BEN-A] 16 years old (18 TO PLAY 16), with close-cropped hair, Ben has an intensity to him, a sense of a kid who's gone someplace far away and may not be coming back. Zoe's boyfriend, he is a fanatical monotheist; he introduced her and Lacy to his cult, and induced them both to flee Caprica with him. But Ben is a little crazy, and he's fleeing Caprica in a different way than he promised: by blowing up their train with a suicide bomb. He later is revealed to have his own uploaded avatar, an on-line twin named Ben-A, whom only Sister Clarice can contact...7 / 13 SERIES REGULAR - SUBMIT ALL ETHNICITIES.

Well, there you have it. I also got a look at the sides (portions of scripts for auditioners to read), but I'd be killed for showing any of that. To be honest, no notable actors come to mind to play these roles, but I'm clearly not thinking too thoroughly about it. I'd love to hear any thoughts you have other than "they should all be relative unknowns" (even though I pretty much agree with that statement, since it will keep the show's cost down.)

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »
All fear the power of thread necromancy...

Everybody's favourite major has been cast to play Joseph Adama, the second actor to be cast.

I think this is pretty good news, he seems to be a quite capable actor and in possession of decent range, and doesn't look like an implausible relative of Bill Adama as portrayed by Olmos.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 10:47:24 AM »
That's cool.  Morales is a good actor and it'll be interesting to see what he can do with the role.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »
I'm starting to become a little wary of "Caprica". It's fairly clear that the series (if picked up) is going to explore a lot of background on the Cylons. The only problem is timing. If (and when) the show gets picked up, how will that affect BSG? Will the final Cylon be someone from Caprica?
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of 'Caprica' either. Nothing is really jumping out at me as being appealing, but I guess that all depends on the execution. 'Dallas' with robots doesn't exactly blow me away or anything, though the 'Who Shot JR-128?' episode ought to be fun.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 01:07:04 AM »
Paula Malcomson of Deadwood fame, has been cast as Amanda Greystone.

I agree that so far, the premise doesn't seem all that great and that the execution is going to be a huge factor in how the story plays out.  Think back to before the mini-series, would you have ever thought that a BSG remake could have been as good as it became?  I surely didn't think so, but due to some excellent execution on the part of some great actors and Ron D. Moore, it turned out to be awesome.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:11:28 AM by Jimi James »

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 01:21:48 AM »
Do we know if Moore and Eick will both be involved? Or is this something that's being passed off to others? Because I thought Eick was moving on to do that 'Children of Men' series. Of course, he could work on both.

They should have just named the family in 'Caprica' Greystoke and gone with a Tarzan thing.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 01:25:11 AM »
http://www.subspace-comms.net/index.php?topic=2361.msg80078#msg80078

I posted a story earlier where Moore commented on that.  He said that he would be very involved in the production of the tv/movie but wasn't sure if he would stay on if the show was picked up.  They're doing one of those back door pilot deals, so it might not even make it to series. 

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 01:26:40 AM »
Ahh, thanks.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 04:08:50 AM »
~~~~~~~~

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 04:19:31 AM »
Well, at least they're assembling a pretty good cast.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »
Eric Stoltz may be out due to being overbooked and committed to another project.  Polly Walker (Rome) has been signed as Sister Clarice.

http://www.syfyportal.com/news425051.html

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 02:55:32 AM »
Eric Stoltz may be out due to being overbooked and committed to another project.  Polly Walker (Rome) has been signed as Sister Clarice.

http://www.syfyportal.com/news425051.html

Not quite what the article says. He's still booked for the pilot as far as I can tell. But if he doesn't have time for the series Graystone might have to pull a Weir and and have a retconned physical appearance.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »
SPOILER if you haven't clicked on the trailer (or don't want to watch the trailer)... The guy on the subway with the bomb... Said "The one true god will drive out the many".  Maybe the whole Cylon one god thing started with a human sect....

I hope that "Coming Soon" at the end means real soon...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:45:43 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 09:58:02 PM »
Ok, that looked pretty cool, I was feeling kinda meh about Caprica so far, but that trailer has really boosted my interest.