Author Topic: General News and Current Events Topic III  (Read 688324 times)

Offline Pleiades

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
General News and Current Events Topic III
« on: September 25, 2006, 04:54:13 PM »
Well, any news thats not really significant of important to have its own thread, post here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:13:58 AM by Bond, James Bond »
''To them, you're just a freak, like me... They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out. Like a leper. See, thier morals, thier code; it's a bad joke...''

''Do I really look like a guy with a plan...?''

---Joker---

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
Re: General News and Current Events Topic III
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:43:46 PM »
^^^ understandable, but might not help both families.
ESF-12

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 10:39:40 AM »
Dead Man Voting

News quoted cause of a minor problem.

OTTAWA  -- The spirits of political skulduggery once again stalked the streets of the national capital Monday.

In fact, one such spirit just about shucked off his very mortal coil fleeing through downtown traffic, draped in a bed sheet.

What prompted this reincarnation of scandals-past was word from the Liberal leadership race that Canadians from beyond the grave were enlisted in the all-important membership drives by at least two leadership camps.

Liberal MPs Joe Volpe and Michael Ignatieff both stand accused of signing up bogus party members -- including some dearly departed -- as the race approaches this weekend's critical delegate-selection vote.

"I can't explain it," the widow of Filipe Sciarra said Monday from her home in Ignatieff's Etobicoke, Ont., riding, where her husband appears on the party's membership list.

"My husband left us four years ago."

Considering Liberal assertions that Filipe Sciarra bought a five-year Liberal party membership just two years ago - ostensibly explaining his post-mortem voting rights - Mrs. Sciarra's timeline does nothing to clear to air.

"Nobody in any campaign, especially mine, is interested in signing anyone up who is not going to show up (to vote)," Volpe argued during a firefighting news conference Monday. "It defies logic."

When he emerged from the National Press Theatre, a pair of youthful hecklers in ghost costumes haunted Volpe's retreat.

"Whooooooooo!" taunted the duo under a sign reading: "Volpe has spirits."

Enraged Volpe factotums, and curious journalists, attempted to stop the pair to ask which Liberal leadership camp they endorsed. They bolted in opposite directions. One was chased until he careened across six lanes of busy traffic near the National War Memorial.

It was a bit of partisan pranksterism that very nearly resulted in death, which would have been a macabre reversal on the way these things usually play out in Canadian politics.

Prime minister Mackenzie King, during a visit to Quebec City, was once apprised by his cabinet minister and Quebec lieutenant, Charles (Chubby) Power, that King's locally buried, long-deceased cousin had been voting Liberal "ever since he died." Other versions of this apocryphal story have Power attributing Liberal voting habits to an entire Quebec City graveyard.

"Certainly in Canada's early formative years it was a totally common practice," says John Courtney, a political scientist at the University of Saskatchewan.

Suspect voting lists before Confederation made it all too easy to conjure ballots, but today's modern checks make such subterfuge much more difficult.

"The benefit of the doubt would suggest that this is an honest mistake," Courtney said of the latest Liberal troubles. "On the other hand, politicians -- or at least their organizers -- have been caught out on this sort of thing in the past."

Which is why casting stones can prove dangerous for political opportunists when the dead rise from their graves.

In the Commons on Monday, Conservative Treasury Board President John Baird took much pleasure in needling Volpe and his Liberal brethren.

"The member from Six Feet Under is recruiting the dead," Baird charged.

Yet perhaps the most famous recent example of grave robbing was the campaign of Tom Long for the Canadian Alliance leadership in 2000.

Questions arose after Long's team signed up almost 3,000 members in Quebec's Gaspe region -- not exactly a hotbed of activism for the Reform party, its then-newly minted successor, or the current Conservative incarnation. Some 1,400 names quickly melted off the membership list on the eve of the leadership vote, including a number of Gaspe's deceased.

Long's campaign manager for Quebec, Fred Loiselle, is now chief of staff to Conservative cabinet minister Michael Fortier.

New Democrat Charlie Angus called the latest Liberal lapse "a B-grade horror movie on the political landscape of this country."

It's one that never seems to stop playing.

Well if most living don't think voting is important,then let the dead do it. ::)

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 02:22:30 AM »
And in further news the parliament passed legislation for the mandatory aquisition of brains to living dead members.

The Party spokesperson ratified the passing of the legislation: "Braiiiiiinss...."
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 11:36:56 PM »
Think Of The Children
I'd guess many here are not surprised

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 11:47:37 PM »
I'm not surprised, but I'm definitely appalled.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 12:59:15 AM »
Uuuugh what is wrong with this country.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 01:25:22 AM »
Think Of The Children
I'd guess many here are not surprised

thats just stupid... how sexually immature some people can be  ::)
ESF-12

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 01:54:23 AM »
Oh, please tell me they're not serious about that! I thought that kind of attitudes died out in the sixties...  ::)
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 01:56:34 AM »
It's Texas. Is anyone really surprised this happened in Texas?

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 10:37:34 AM »
I have no link to confirm this,but if its true its kind of funny.
3-year-old boy in England accidently buys car on Internet auction site

16:55:04 EDT Sep 26, 2006
Canadian Press

LONDON (AP) - Three-year-old Jack Neal loves cars so much that while his mother's back was turned, he bought a Barbie-pink Nissan Figaro for nearly C$18,000 on eBay.
"I had just come off the computer and I thought I had logged off, I came out of eBay," his mother Rachel told the British Broadcasting Corp. on Monday.
"Jack jumped on the chair, (went) straight in, found the page and bought the car." Unable to read, the youngster likely used the "buy it now" option to make the purchase.
The first time the Neals, from Sleaford in eastern England, knew of the sale was when they received an e-mail from auto dealer David Jones, who thought he had made his first Internet sale.
Jones, from Worcestershire in central England, saw the funny side and said he will not hold the Neals to their purchase. The car will be re-listed later.
"I've got a 2 1/2-year-old son myself and I don't think he would be able to do this, although he's bright," he said.
Jack denied all culpability.
Asked if he had made the purchase, he simply squirmed and muttered, "No."
© The Canadian Press, 2006

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 10:52:15 AM »
Yep that's been on the news here too :D
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline starhawk

• Veteran Member
  • I think too big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 10:57:49 AM »
:p

fowlerbryan

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 11:39:09 AM »
Reason #32801 not to have children.  ;D

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 06:02:26 PM »
Barbie-pink Nissan Figaro?

Message to Mum - you may have bigger things to worry about than your kid getting on eBay...
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 06:15:30 PM »
I have no link to confirm this,but if its true its kind of funny.
3-year-old boy in England accidently buys car on Internet auction site

16:55:04 EDT Sep 26, 2006
Canadian Press

LONDON (AP) - Three-year-old Jack Neal loves cars so much that while his mother's back was turned, he bought a Barbie-pink Nissan Figaro for nearly C$18,000 on eBay.
"I had just come off the computer and I thought I had logged off, I came out of eBay," his mother Rachel told the British Broadcasting Corp. on Monday.
"Jack jumped on the chair, (went) straight in, found the page and bought the car." Unable to read, the youngster likely used the "buy it now" option to make the purchase.
The first time the Neals, from Sleaford in eastern England, knew of the sale was when they received an e-mail from auto dealer David Jones, who thought he had made his first Internet sale.
Jones, from Worcestershire in central England, saw the funny side and said he will not hold the Neals to their purchase. The car will be re-listed later.
"I've got a 2 1/2-year-old son myself and I don't think he would be able to do this, although he's bright," he said.
Jack denied all culpability.
Asked if he had made the purchase, he simply squirmed and muttered, "No."
© The Canadian Press, 2006

I think this is the weirdest story I've heard in a while. :o
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 10:11:06 PM »
Sick Fraker it wasn't enough to terrorise and shoot them,he had to rape them too.

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 12:57:16 AM »
They should be shot on sight. Two in the head and one in the chest. And thats the humane solution.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 01:20:37 AM »
He already shot himsef in the head, like pretty much all of these nutters do when they've pulled this kind of thing.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 06:33:50 AM »
Overpass Collapsed In Laval Apparently there were lots of hint it would collapse,falling debris long before and huge cracks in the structure.

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 09:26:19 AM »
^^^^ aww man >:(
ESF-12

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 12:48:09 PM »
Hmmmm.....  chuncks of concrete falling, large cracks forming?  I'm guessing that the concrete they used was a bit on the brittle side to begin with and all the traffic over it finally just vibrated it enough that it gave out.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 08:58:21 PM »
Hmmmm.....  chuncks of concrete falling, large cracks forming?  I'm guessing that the concrete they used was a bit on the brittle side to begin with and all the traffic over it finally just vibrated it enough that it gave out.
Whats kind of funny now,they tried to come up with theories like earthquake,vibrations caused by blasting to make the subway in Laval which was done 3 years ago.

and now its official 5 death including a couple resulting in an 8 year old kid who's now an orphan.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 01:31:25 AM »
I have only one thing to say...What the...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061001/wl_mideast_afp/iraqusshiitesjesus

Iraq Sadr City residents insulted by 'Buddy Jesus'

BAGHDAD (AFP) - Iraqi Shiite residents of Baghdad's Sadr City have expressed anger on over a picture of a grinning Jesus they mistook for a Shiite holy figure that appeared in the area after a joint US-Iraqi operation.

Residents found a picture of "Buddy Jesus" from the 1999 film "Dogma" posted in the streets, accompanied by a badly photocopied pamphlet bearing a crude approximation of a US military crest and outlining a US "plan" to subjugate the neighborhood.

"That picture abuses our Imam Mahdi and his holy character, and mocks our sacred figures," said resident Abu Riyam Sunday, apparently mistaking the satirical movie still of Jesus for one of Shiite Islam's historical imams, whose images adopt a Jesus-like iconography.

The grinning, winking model of Buddy Jesus giving a thumbs-up sign appeared in the comedy film as a fictional attempt by the Catholic Church to present a kinder and more accessible image of Christianity.

"If it wasn't so serious it would be funny," said a coalition spokesman, Major Will Willhoite.

The pamphlets outlined a so-called plan to discredit the militias in the sprawling Baghdad slum of two million people, a stronghold of radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

"Destabilize security in the militia areas with explosions and assassinations to create panic" and "killing, raping and kidnapping women" were all measures the pamphlet recommended to cause people to lose faith in the militias.

"Do not tell the suspect militias of these plans, but keep them among friendly forces," admonished the pamphlet.

The US military did not confirm that it had conducted an early-morning raid into Sadr City on Sunday, but said that an Iraqi force accompanied by coalition advisors did conduct an operation in "northeast" Baghdad.

Much of Baghdad's violence has been laid at the feet of Shiite militias, many of whom are based in Sadr City, but US forces have yet to enter the neighborhood in force.

Ok I'm willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt but I think its pretty obvious that we're dealing with some stupid ass mofos by now  :P
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J