Author Topic: General News and Current Events Topic III  (Read 688348 times)

Javert

Re: General News and Current Events Topic III
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2006, 11:15:11 AM »
I wonder how hot the surface of those planets are?

I'm going to say <5828 K.  ;D

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2006, 11:19:03 AM »
To which comment are you replying? A planet closer to us would have an orbital period closer to an (Earth) year, naturally.
I meant such systems in galactic regions closer to us, that are still in existence today.
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2006, 11:29:26 AM »
Oh, planets that shouldn't exist but havn't had time to die.  Gotcha.
I have selective reading.

"There is a certain logic to your logic."
~ Tuvok

"High speed and low IQ don't mix"
~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond

Darmok

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2006, 02:55:57 PM »
To which comment are you replying? A planet closer to us would have an orbital period closer to an (Earth) year, naturally.
I meant such systems in galactic regions closer to us, that are still in existence today.

I still don’t understand to whom your original comment was directed. Planets in such systems wouldn’t be in orbit around our sun. And why does it matter if the planets are located in closer or farther galactic regions?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 02:59:56 PM by Darmok »

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2006, 06:30:42 PM »
I think I know what he meant, but I don't know why he meant it.  If that makes any sence.

~ Tuvok

~Maple Dog

"Hey, then maybe we could hop in our VW bus and make sweet sweet free love whilst smoking some doobies and doing other 1967ey things."
~Bond, James Bond

Offline Da Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2006, 05:23:34 AM »
Darmok, I was reading your comment wrong, I thought you meant that the system was at such a distance away, that the light took such a long time to reach us, the system itself was non-existant today. Now I see that's not what you meant. Sorry for the comfusion.

Offline Da Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2006, 05:33:40 AM »
Google buys YouTube for $1.65bn
Google is buying video-sharing website YouTube for $1.65bn (£883m) in shares after a weekend of speculation that a deal was in the offing.
The two companies will continue to operate independently, Google said as it announced the news on Monday.

YouTube, launched in February 2005, has grown quickly into one of the most popular websites on the internet.

It has 100 million videos viewed every day and an estimated 72 million individual visitors each month.

'Natural partners'

"The YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that complements Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful," Google chief executive Eric Schmidt said in a statement.

He said the two companies were "natural partners" to offer a media entertainment service to users, content owners and advertisers.

Mr Schmidt also told investors that YouTube will be "one of many investments" Google plans to make in the video field.

However, the company will keep operating its own Google Video as a separate operation.

YouTube will retain its brand, and its 67 staff, including co-founders Chad Hurley and Steve Chen, will keep their jobs.

"Our community has played a vital role in changing the way that people consume media, creating a new clip culture," said Mr Hurley.

"By joining forces with Google, we can benefit from its global reach and technology leadership to deliver a more comprehensive entertainment experience for our users and to create new opportunities for our partners."

According to Comscore World Metrix, YouTube's audience has soared from 2.8 million unique users one year ago to 72 million users in August 2006.

Music tie-ups

The announcement came after a day of distribution deals drawn up by the pair.

Universal Music Group has signed a distribution deal with YouTube, which will protect the rights of the music firm's artists.

YouTube also says it has signed a deal with CBS, which will offer short-form video programming, including news, sport and entertainment on YouTube.

Google has also signed distribution deals of its own, with Sony BMG and Warner Music to offer music videos.

The Google deals should enable internet users in the US to view music videos, artist interviews, and other footage from the two firms on Google video for free from this month.

The content is sponsored through a Google advertising-supported revenue-sharing agreement.

Google also said that in addition to the advertising-supported video content, music videos from Warner would be available for purchase as downloads at $1.99 each.

As part of YouTube's deal with CBS, the companies will share revenue from advertising sponsorship of CBS Videos.

Link

Offline Admiral TVar

• Veteran Member
  • ST: Empires. Official SCN Ninja, minor annoyance
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2006, 05:09:11 PM »
Googles buying the whole net... Soon it wont be called the Internet it will be the Googlenet.. what next Google makes theyre own browser and OS....
"Enough is enough!, I have had it with these Mutha' F&@#in' Borg!" ~ Captain Sam L. Jackson of the USS Reliant

"That plot has more holes than a Nevada whorehouse."
~Bond in reference to the Plot of Signs

Offline RedShirt

• Armed and suicidal
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2006, 07:13:33 PM »
Googles buying the whole net... Soon it wont be called the Internet it will be the Googlenet.. what next Google makes theyre own browser and OS....

Fewer bugs than windows.

~ Tuvok

~Maple Dog

~Bond, James Bond

Darmok

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2006, 08:17:38 PM »
Darmok, I was reading your comment wrong, I thought you meant that the system was at such a distance away, that the light took such a long time to reach us, the system itself was non-existant today. Now I see that's not what you meant. Sorry for the comfusion.

My fault for not expressing myself clearly—now that I reread my comment, I should have specified that by “sun” I mean the star we orbit. I think these systems could potentially be quite stable over time.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2006, 10:14:43 AM »
Giant Camel Bones

Another cool find 8)

Darmok

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2006, 01:56:03 AM »
Wow, pretty neat! I wouldn’t have expected such a large animal to thrive in the desert.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2006, 06:18:16 PM »
That camel must have one big toe  :P
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2006, 12:28:41 AM »
That camel must have one big toe  :P

I was thinking the exact same thing.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Da Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2006, 03:24:29 AM »
Micro credit team win peace Nobel
POSTED: 5:13 a.m. EDT, October 13, 2006

OSLO, Norway (AP) -- Bangladeshi Muhammad Yunus and the Grameen Bank were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for their work in advancing economic and social opportunities.

The economist and his bank, who will share the prize, were cited for their efforts to help "create economic and social development from below" in their home country by using innovative economic programs such as microcredit lending.

"Every single individual on earth has both the potential and the right to live a decent life. Across cultures and civilizations, Yunus and Grameen Bank have shown that even the poorest of the poor can work to bring about their own development," the Nobel Committee said in its citation.

Yunus has drawn praise for advancing microcredit which has been credited with helping poor women to advance their lives and pull them out of poverty.

"Economic growth and political democracy can not achieve their full potential unless the female half of humanity participates on an equal footing with the male," the committee said.

Grameen Bank, which was founded by Yunus, provides credit to "the poorest of the poor" in rural Bangladesh, without any collateral, according to its Web site.

"At GB, credit is a cost effective weapon to fight poverty and it serves as a catalyst in the overall development of socio-economic conditions of the poor who have been kept outside the banking orbit on the ground that they are poor and hence not bankable," the committee said.
Story @ CNN
Good choice, I think.

Darmok

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2006, 06:55:20 PM »
People Power: U.S. to Top 300 Million

(CNN) — At 7:46 ET Tuesday morning, the United States will become a nation of 300 million people, the U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

Fueled by an estimated net gain of one person every 11 seconds, America — already the world’s third most populous country — will join China and India with populations greater than 300 million.

Wow. That means one out of every 21 people lives in the United States. I didn’t realize our population was growing that fast.

See also: U.S. and World Population Clocks

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2006, 01:34:30 AM »
People Power: U.S. to Top 300 Million

(CNN) — At 7:46 ET Tuesday morning, the United States will become a nation of 300 million people, the U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

Fueled by an estimated net gain of one person every 11 seconds, America — already the world’s third most populous country — will join China and India with populations greater than 300 million.

Wow. That means one out of every 21 people lives in the United States. I didn’t realize our population was growing that fast.

See also: U.S. and World Population Clocks

So basically that means that Bill Hicks was right.  Childbirth isn't really a miracle.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »
Yeesh where do they put them all?
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Darmok

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2006, 10:18:28 PM »
Yeesh where do they put them all?

The United States is one of the world’s largest countries, so despite rising the population the population density is still quite low, at 31 people per square kilometer. This is less than that of most European countries; the U.S. ranks 172nd on this Wikipedia list.

Offline Kevin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2006, 10:29:39 PM »

Fewer bugs than windows.

And still the same amount of coddling the Chinese dictatorship.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2006, 09:06:07 AM »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2006, 10:01:18 AM »
That is an odd conviction.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2006, 11:38:59 AM »
exiled to Canada as punishment

oh cause ya we'd want him here >:(

edit: send him to Mexico ;D
ESF-12

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2006, 01:08:27 PM »
I'd love to know what the judge was thinking when he suggested moving to Canada as an option over prison.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Darmok

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2006, 01:30:55 PM »
I'd love to know what the judge was thinking when he suggested moving to Canada as an option over prison.

The man would not be moving to Canada; he already lives there.

exiled to Canada as punishment

oh cause ya we'd want him here >:(

edit: send him to Mexico ;D

You already have him there.

Watson already lives across the border in Fort Erie, Ont., with his Canadian wife and three children.