Author Topic: Star Trek: Myriad Universes & Greater than the Sum  (Read 9227 times)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Star Trek: Myriad Universes & Greater than the Sum
« on: May 06, 2008, 05:20:15 AM »
Since the other topic was taken during the SCN Rapture, I'll repost this since the finalized covers have now been released:

Star Trek: Myriad Universes

It’s been said that for any event, there is an infinite number of possible outcomes. Our choices determine which outcome will follow, and therefore all possibilities that could happen do happen across countless alternate realities. In these divergent realms, known history is bent, like white light through a prism—broken into a boundless spectrum of what-might-have-beens. But in those myriad universes, what might have been . . . is what actually happened.

Myriad Universes — Infinity’s Prism (July)

A LESS PERFECT UNION by William Leisner:
More than a hundred years after the Terra Prime movement achieved its dream of an isolationist Earth, humanity is once again at a fork in the river of history . . . and the path it follows may ultimately be determined by the voice of a single individual: the sole surviving crewmember of the first Starship Enterprise.

PLACES OF EXILE by Christopher L. Bennett:
Midway through Voyager’s journey across the galaxy, Captain Kathryn Janeway and Commander Chakotay must choose whether to brave a deadly war zone or abandon their quest for home. But an attack by Species 8472 cripples the ship, and the stranded crew must make new choices that will reshape their destinies . . . and that of the Delta Quadrant itself.

SEEDS OF DISSENT by James Swallow:
Khan victorious! Almost four centuries after conquering their world, genetically enhanced humans dominate a ruthless interstellar empire. But the warship Defiance, under its augmented commander, Princeps Julian Bashir, makes a discovery that could shake the pillars of his proud civilization: an ancient sleeper ship from Earth named the Botany Bay.

Myriad Universes — Echoes and Reflections (August)

THE CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT by Geoff Trowbridge:
In a continuum where Spock died during childhood, an Andorian named Thelin became Captain Kirk’s stalwart friend and first officer. But at the moment of Khan’s final defeat, history takes an even stranger turn, and the emerging potential of Project Genesis is revealed as the galaxy’s greatest hope . . . and its most ominous threat.

A GUTTED WORLD by Keith R. A. DeCandido:
Terrorist Kira Nerys—from a Bajor that was never liberated—may hold the key to winning a war that has engulfed half the galaxy. But with the Romulans and the Klingons at each other’s throats, and the Federation pulled into the conflict, even victory may not bring salvation.

BRAVE NEW WORLD by Chris Roberson:
Dr. Noonien Soong’s dream has been realized: androids are now woven inextricably into the fabric of the Federation, revolutionizing Starfleet and transforming the quality of humanoid life. But when Soong’s long-missing breakthrough creation, Data, mysteriously resurfaces, civilization reaches a crossroads that could lead to a bright new future, or to ruin.

The cover artists website and gallery:
http://www.johnpicacio.com/index2.html

Source:
http://trekmovie.com/2008/05/05/library-computer-summer-trek-book-preview-shatner-book-signings/

That also contains a description of Christopher L. Bennett's TNG novel 'Greater than the Sum' which continues the story of the Borg that escaped at the end of Peter David's 'Before Dishonor' (while also beginning it's own larger story while investigating that mystery) and sets up what is supposed to be huge changes to the Federation in David Mack's upcoming 'Destiny' trilogy. The way they've hinted at the huge changes that take place in 'Destiny,' I'm guessing either Earth gets assimilated permanently or the Federation breaks apart in some way.

I don't know for sure, but it's supposed to be a massive change to the way the post-Nemesis books are written, and will be a crossover incorporating ST: Enterprise and the picture of the NX-02 Columbia crashed in the Gamma Quadrant from the SotL calendar, DS9 about five years post-Relaunch with Ezri as captain of the Defiant, TNG and the Borg (in what way we don't know), Voyager post-relaunch under Captain Chakotay, and ST: Titan. I haven't heard anything, but if they're including all that it might briefly include TOS as well.

Here's the 'Greater than the Sum' description:

TNG: Greater than the Sum (July)
by Christopher L. Bennett

The Starship Rhea has discovered a cluster of carbon planets that seems to be the source of the quantum energies rippling through a section of space. A landing party finds unusual life-forms inhabiting one of the planets. One officer, Lieutenant T’Ryssa Chen — a half-Vulcan — makes a tenuous connection with them. But before any progress can be made, the Rhea comes under attack from the Einstein — a Starfleet vessel now controlled by the Borg. The landing party can only listen in horror as their comrades are assimilated. The Borg descend to the planet, and just as Chen accepts that she will be assimilated, the lieutenant is whisked two thousand light-years away.

A quantum slipstream — instantaneous transportation — is controlled by these beings in the cluster, and in the heart of the cluster there is now a Borg ship. Cut off from the rest of the Borg collective, the Einstein cannot be allowed to rejoin it. For the sake of humanity, the Borg cannot gain access to quantum slipstream technology.

Starfleet Command gives Captain Picard carte blanche: do whatever he must to help the beings in the cluster, and stop the Einstein no matter the cost.

The previous two TNG Borg novels were pretty disappointing, but you couldn't ask for two better authors to tackle them and stories expanding from them than Christopher L. Bennett and David Mack. Bennett can always be counted on to put an interesting scientific twist on old Trek standbys, and Mack has something of a reputation for being pretty ruthless in terms of killing off characters or making major changes that upset the status quo. Plus, he writes fantastic action scenes.

So it'll be interesting to see where they're going with this. They're keeping pretty tight-lipped over what happens in 'Destiny,' and the description of it posted at Amazon is said to be full of errors by the author (Amazon descriptions of upcoming books - like IMDB's descriptions of upcoming movies - are frequently grossly inaccurate, but it might contain some hints, and at least some of these developments are confirmed and are a logical follow-up to 'Greater than the Sum':

The Borg return -- with a vengeance! Blitzkrieg attacks by the single-minded aliens with their hive mentality and their mission to assimilate every intelligent being they encounter are leaving whole worlds aflame. No one knows how they are slipping past Starfleet's defences, so Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew are detailed to find out -- and to put a stop to it if they can. Meanwhile, thousands of light years away, Captain Will Riker and the crew of the Titan follow bizarre energy pulses to a mysterious, hidden world. There they find a figure out of legend: a Starfleet captain long thought dead. And at the same time, over in the Gamma Quadrant, newly promoted Captain Dax and her crew investigate the wreck of the Earth starship Columbia NX-02, missing in action for more than two centuries.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek: Myriad Universes & Greater than the Sum
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »
"Captain Dax?" Also, as I recall, Columbia had crashed on a planet in Alpha/Beta, not Gamma.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »
I think it was Gamma.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:16:20 AM »
That's fucking stupid. They said it was discovered during the Dominion War. No SF forces were in Gamma during that time. ergo, it can't be gamma. And making it gamma is the giantest wankfest ever.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:57:04 AM »
That's fucking stupid. They said it was discovered during the Dominion War. No SF forces were in Gamma during that time. ergo, it can't be gamma. And making it gamma is the giantest wankfest ever.

It simply uses the idea from the picture and the fact that the ship was found in the Gamma Quadrant as part of the story. It's not set during the Dominion War, it's set in 2380 or 2381, at least five or six years after the war ended. Hence, Captain Dax commanding the Defiant, since she's done so before during the Mission: Gamma series, since she's been on the command track for a while now, and since she's had five or six years to get some promotions.

Plus, what is she, 400 years old and has served in Starfleet three or four times and served as an ambassador? I think that has to count for something on being able to accelerate up the ranks quickly.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:23:43 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:40:40 AM »
No, the text for the picture had said it was discovered during the war. As for the rest...I don't read all these new novels at all, so I have no idea what goes on in them.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »
The point is that the text of the picture has nothing to do with the story apart from the following: It features the NX-02 crashed on a planet in the Gamma Quadrant. That's all that is being used from the SotL calendar image. Anything else, like it being discovered during the Dominion War, has been discarded so that they can fit it into their current TNG novel timeline which is now set in 2380 going into 2381.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:50:08 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:12:11 AM »
Ooooh...the Myriad universes series sounds good, Princeps Bashir...sweet...

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
Ive just finished Infinty's prism...anyone else read it?...any thoughts?

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 07:45:32 AM »
Greater Than The Sum was shockingly pretty good.  For anyone interested in the new Borg arc, I think it'd be pretty safe to skip over "Before Dishonor" and "Resistance", and jump right to this.

***SPOILERS***
As Bond mentioned in the "Destiny Trilogy" thread, the book ties up pretty much every single possible thread related to the Borg that had been left dangling, while blessedly glossing over the events of "Resistance" and "Before Dishonor" as "Remember when that whole deal with the big cube happened?  Yeah, that was pretty fracked up."

Why didn't the virus implanted in Hugh infect the rest of the Borg?  The Borg detected it and severed his Cube from the Collective.  Why didn't more Cubes attack Earth over the years?  Many were in conflict with Hugh's group, The Liberated.  The Borg's decimation at the hands of Species 8472 is also reinforced.  Why doesn't Starfleet use Transphasic torpedoes more?  They are being held as an 'ace in the hole'.

While sometimes the bits of canon and old elements can be a bit cutesy (Guinan's appearance was slightly pointless, although not offensive in any way), it's nowhere near as self-serving and horrendously lame as in some of the previous Borg books.  All the references to old stories and the characters' history help flesh things out.  Furthermore, purged of a few characters that weren't really going anywhere, the new Enterprise-E command crew continues to gel, and the personalities of some of the new crew open up interesting new relationships. 

My only real qualms were Jar Jar Vulcan...erm...T'ryssa Chen, who felt ripped from a fanfic and seemed impossibly petulant and immature for a twenty-six year old (the author unsurprisingly based her on an RPG character).  As well, while I am far more interested in the new arc than I was with the bizarre ubercube/Janeway angle, I'm not totally sold on the whole "The Borg are back...and they're frickin' pissed" thing they're building towards.  I applaud the authors for trying to make the Borg a true force again, but the Borg are most alien and compelling as a force of nature, a swarm without emotion and attachment.