Author Topic: General Media News and Review Thread  (Read 555621 times)

Offline Pleiades

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
General Media News and Review Thread
« on: September 25, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »
Reviews of episodes, movies, websites, any media really, just remember the spoiler warnings. :)
''To them, you're just a freak, like me... They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out. Like a leper. See, thier morals, thier code; it's a bad joke...''

''Do I really look like a guy with a plan...?''

---Joker---

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: General Media News and Review Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 06:48:55 AM »
New Halo game announced.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/736/736044p1.html

So this is what Bungie meant when they said Halo would continue in other ways after the main Halo arc is finished with Halo 3
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Voron

• Veteran Member
  • still unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 02:18:53 PM »
ah now Halo wars looks cool, cant wait
Kein Mitleid mit der Mehrheit

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 03:38:56 PM »
I'm so mad that there won't be anymore episodes of House until after the world series. It wouldn't be so bad if the Braves were in the playoffs, but they sucked this year.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 04:21:05 PM »
ah now Halo wars looks cool, cant wait

To tell you the truth, I was hoping for another FPS/Third Person game, this time focused around the ODSTs.

But a RTS is suprising, since they are taking Halo back to it's 1998 roots.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 04:23:04 PM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 04:22:35 PM »
Well I really like RTS games, so this coupled with the Halo 3 FPS will probably be what makes me buy a 360.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 04:24:58 PM »
I'm wondering if it's a squad based RTS, like Full Spectrum Warrior, since that sub-genre works well on consoles.

Offline Voron

• Veteran Member
  • still unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 04:40:04 PM »
hmm could be, really though I would like proper RTS, but hell it will most likely kick ass either way
Kein Mitleid mit der Mehrheit

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 01:47:18 AM »
Hmm okay well I'll post the first review.

Equilibrium - My sister has gone on about this movie (mostly because she has a thing for Christian Bale) and she insisted that I watch it.  I remember reading somewhere that is movie was basically a ripoff of the "The Matrix".  To be honest besides the martial arts stuff and the black cloaks I really didn't see the resemblance.  The story is about a future society that uses a drug called prozium to stop people from feeling.  A group called the tetragrammaton clerics enforce this ban against all feeling and Christian Bale is part of this.  He stops taking the prozium and begins to feel.  It particularly hits home when he saves a puppy from being slaughtered.  I thought it was a pretty good flick that showed an Orwellian future.  This movie however has an ending unlike 1984  that I actually appreciated.  I give it 7/10.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 03:02:48 AM »
When was that in the cinemas? I remember already seeing it on TV, IIRC. It looked quite interesting from the small part I saw.
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 03:23:52 AM »
 It came out in 2001 to quote IMDB...

The film was not given a wide release because it had already run into profit as a result of overseas sales, and Miramax didn't want to risk turning a money maker into a loss.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 03:40:41 AM »
I really liked Equilibrium, partially due to it's badass fight scenes that make up for any other issues the movie might have. The future it portrayed was cool to see, and how the change in architecture reflected the feeling-less society with it's plain buildings and lack of vibrant colours.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 10:34:16 AM »
Apparently there will be no second season for Blade

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 03:33:28 PM »
Somehow that doesn't surprise me...
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »
I guess you could say the series...sucked.

eh? EH?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 05:02:44 PM »
I guess you could say the series...sucked.

eh? EH?

Bad pun.

As for this happening...... I had a feeling it would, from the first episode.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 05:17:58 PM »
I guess that Spike didn't want to stake a lot of their advertising dollars on it.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 06:42:37 PM »
(groan) 2 for 2.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 12:19:03 AM »
looks like another video game movie is on its way. This time, its Dead or Alive.

It will most likely suck ,but kudo's does go to the casting director and make up/wardrode dept for the cast looking pretty close to their counterparts in the game.

One flaw i allready see is, whats with the Katanas? They don't have katanas in the game! Its hand-to-hand combat, not sword fighting.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 12:21:53 AM by NRSD Moonshadow »
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 01:20:01 AM »
^^^Isn't Jamie Pressly supposed to be in that?

Offline Rusty

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 02:22:16 AM »
Dead Or Alive:

Starring:
Holly Valance (Formerly Washed up pop-slut, formerly washed-up Neighbours slut)
Jaime Pressley (Typecast American white-trash extroardinaire)
Devon Aoki (Midget asian model who doesn't talk much but loves giving icy stares while holding samurai swords {see Sin City})

Basic Plot:

Butt-kicking chicks are invited to some millionaires island to attend death-match dance party. They find out an evil genius' grand scheme to create ultimate fighting sunglasses whose mojo can be emailed arouind the world for profit and world domination.

I swear to God it's true.

So, basically, it's fodder for teenagers to whack their little dicks against walls about. Stray clear of cinemas showing this feature, sit WAY up the back, or wear a raincoat.
Edmund: I remember Massingburg's most famous case, the case of the bloody knife. A man was found next to a murdured body, he had the knife in his hand, thirteen witnesses that seen him stab the victim, and when the police arrived he said, "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off, but he got him knighted in the New Year's Honors list, and the relatives of the victim had to pay to have the blood washed out of his jacket.
Perkins: And he's a dab hand at the prosecution, Sir.
Edmund: Yes, well, look at Oscar Wilde.
Perkins: Oh, butch Oscar.
Edmund: Big, bearded, bonking, butch Oscar - the terror of the ladies. 114 illegitamate children, world heavyweight boxing champion, and author of the best-selling phamplet, "Why I Like To Do It With Girls". Massingbird had him sent down for being a woopsie.

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »
funny thing is, they even threw in Volley-ball, i guess to cover DOAs gaming spin-off, DOA Beach Vollyball. Yeah, Jamie Presly is Tina, the female Pro Wrestler ( well, in the game anyway). I think Presly is a little old for the character, but meh, whatever, I might buy it when it comes out on DVD after the price has dropped.

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 05:44:53 AM »
And Iron Man will be played by......Robert Downey Jr its an odd choice,we'll know if it works or it bombs.

BTW anyone else think they should cast only unknown actors to play superheroes in movies?

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 01:05:22 AM »
^^^That was already announced in the sci fi news topic.

Funny thing is, they even threw in Volley-ball, i guess to cover DOAs gaming spin-off, DOA Beach Volleyball.

Probably because they're making the movie for teenage boys.

Micheal Bay: And what is wrong with that exactly?

*Razor grumbles*
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:07:48 AM by Razor »

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 08:50:05 PM »
from what i can tell neither Bay or Boll are behind this one.

(G'Kar) " That means...... theres someone else out there" (G'Kar)