Author Topic: General Media News and Review Thread  (Read 555901 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: General Media News and Review Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 10:40:28 PM »
I'd nominate that punk Eli Roth but this isn't his forte. God help us all.....
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2006, 09:37:30 AM »
Hmm okay well I'll post the first review.

Equilibrium - My sister has gone on about this movie (mostly because she has a thing for Christian Bale) and she insisted that I watch it.  I remember reading somewhere that is movie was basically a ripoff of the "The Matrix".  To be honest besides the martial arts stuff and the black cloaks I really didn't see the resemblance.  The story is about a future society that uses a drug called prozium to stop people from feeling.  A group called the tetragrammaton clerics enforce this ban against all feeling and Christian Bale is part of this.  He stops taking the prozium and begins to feel.  It particularly hits home when he saves a puppy from being slaughtered.  I thought it was a pretty good flick that showed an Orwellian future.  This movie however has an ending unlike 1984  that I actually appreciated.  I give it 7/10.

"Equilibrium" is not at all consistent with its own premise (I get a kick pointing out the number of supposedly emotionless people displaying completely obvious emotional reactions) but when they start in with the Gunkata I don't care because that's badass.

Plus he cut a dude's face off with a samurai sword. Score five points for that.

Just don't bother renting the director's followup, "Ultraviolet." Good god what a clusterfuck that was.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2006, 09:50:29 AM »
Equilibrium was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Ultraviolet has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I watched it with one of my friends who likes it, and he got pissed because I was making fun of how bad it was throughout the entire movie.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2006, 09:58:48 AM »
I'd like to say I could get past the awful 90s video game special FX and just focus on the story, but that sucked too. Plus they had that freaky kid in it that's in everything Dakota Fanning isn't in.

Offline Viral

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 04:08:30 PM »
I think the only "decent" (and I use the term broadly) scene in all of Ultraviolet was the fire-lit swordfight at the very end. I thought that was alright, but the rest was  :-\

It's honestly the only movie that I've seen people walk out on. I outright refuse to walk out of a movie I paid money for. It would have to do something insanely offensive or inexcusably retarded for me to just walk out.

Equilibrium was okay. Looks like Citizen Kane next to Ultraviolet.

Gunkata rules you.....
Once you leave the womb, conservatives don’t care about you until you reach military age. Then you’re just what they’re looking for. Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers.
- George Carlin

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2006, 01:18:42 AM »
Hmm okay well I'll post the first review.

Equilibrium - My sister has gone on about this movie (mostly because she has a thing for Christian Bale) and she insisted that I watch it.  I remember reading somewhere that is movie was basically a ripoff of the "The Matrix".  To be honest besides the martial arts stuff and the black cloaks I really didn't see the resemblance.  The story is about a future society that uses a drug called prozium to stop people from feeling.  A group called the tetragrammaton clerics enforce this ban against all feeling and Christian Bale is part of this.  He stops taking the prozium and begins to feel.  It particularly hits home when he saves a puppy from being slaughtered.  I thought it was a pretty good flick that showed an Orwellian future.  This movie however has an ending unlike 1984  that I actually appreciated.  I give it 7/10.

"Equilibrium" is not at all consistent with its own premise (I get a kick pointing out the number of supposedly emotionless people displaying completely obvious emotional reactions) but when they start in with the Gunkata I don't care because that's badass.

Plus he cut a dude's face off with a samurai sword. Score five points for that.

Just don't bother renting the director's followup, "Ultraviolet." Good god what a clusterfuck that was.

*Chortle* Excellent point on the face cutting.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2006, 10:28:33 AM »
BTW anyone else think they should cast only unknown actors to play superheroes in movies?

yep I'd go with that
ESF-12

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2006, 10:56:36 PM »
Not only was Ultraviolet god-awful, it made no fucking sense. Does anyone have any idea what's going on there? Vampires and the Church/CDC taking over and the requsite creepy kid Cameron Bright and gravity shit. Was this just a session of "Dude, wouldn't it be cool if..." that somehow got made into a movie?
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2006, 01:38:01 AM »
Thanks to my netflix account I've been able to catch some older movies that just dont play on cable anymore or that blockbuster doesn't carry.  Being the horror buff I am I decided to catch a flick Ive heard about but have yet to see...

Sleepwalkers - Lets do the drive in totals shall we.

-1 severed hand
-30 dead cats
-Inept police force (Keystone cop descendants I'm tellin ya)
-teacher mauling
-1 killer MILF
-Finger biting
-A transforming car
-Sleepwalker fu
-Cat fu

This flick was directed by Mick Garris (The Stand, Riding the Bullet) and written by Stephen King.  It concerns a mother and son who are actually creatures called Sleepwalkers.  Good lord this was a bizarre flick. This is quite possibly the biggest incest movie you will ever see as the son has to suck the life force from virgin girls and feeds his mother by having sex with her  The mother was played by Alice Krige (Thats right folks the borg queen) and in this flick she plays a sort of Freddy Kreuger MILF.  She pulls off the whole MILF thing pretty well though the Jason-esque rampaging and one liners seem a bit silly.  Thats my biggest problem with this flick.  Its pretty lighthearted I was expecting something darker and grimmer.  Ron Perlman shows up as an over the top macho state patrolman a little later on.  I had fun with it but unless you want to see Alice Krige do her Freddy impression or are a King completist dont bother renting this one 5/10.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2006, 08:07:01 AM »
Am I the only person on this board that liked Ultraviolet even a little? ok I wasnt exactly all that impressed but I still liked it *shrugs*

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 12:48:56 AM »
^^I havent seen it yet.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 10:31:02 PM »
Am I the only person on this board that liked Ultraviolet even a little? ok I wasnt exactly all that impressed but I still liked it *shrugs*

Yep, you're it. And that's one more fan than that piece of crap deserves.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2006, 10:40:34 PM »
Oh my what a find...

I recently picked up the hardcover of "Marvel Zombies".  No you're not reading that wrong.  Marvel did a story dealing with an alternate universe in which all their famous superheros and villians are flesh eating zombies.  It was written by Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead) and drawn by Sean Phillips.  The story picks up after an Ultimate Fantastic Four story arc in which zombie Reed Richards lures his counterpart into the zombie universe.  The silver surfer arrives on the zombified Earth to herald the coming of Galactus only the zombies dont understand him and eat him thus gaining the powers cosmic.  I wont spoil the rest of it for you but anyone who loves black humor and comic books should seriously check this out.  The art is great and all the gory details are shown of and their is a magnificent amout of feeding gore! ;).  9/10 One interesting fact is that Ralph Macchio..yes the karate Kid was the editor of this book  :o.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2006, 11:52:38 PM »
Nope. I thought it was ok as well. Definitely not the worst I've seen (hellooooo, Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes!) Maybe it confused some people because it used two words to describe the same set of people... but if you can't tell from their interchangeable use of the words hemophage and vampire that they were referring to the same thing, I'd expect such a person went in intending not to like it. I felt a fair bit of the dialogue was clunky ("you got hemophage blood onto me!"). Anyway, for anyone who was somehow confused by it (if I can remember sufficiently), the story was basically about a pharmaceutical honcho who wanted to create the next big disease and release it so that he could sell the treatment for it.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 06:40:48 AM »

Yes becuase that was an informed and balanced post that youre always on to people to make, anyway...

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2006, 01:39:34 AM »

Yes becuase that was an informed and balanced post that youre always on to people to make, anyway...

He's gotcha there Bond. 

Offline Admiral Ross

• Veteran Member
  • Token SCN Paleo-Con
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2006, 10:14:03 PM »
 Saw The Prestige last night.  Awesome movie - definately recommended.  I'm not sure that I liked the twist though, as it seemed to kind of undermine the whole point of the film.  But it was still enjoyable and I loved Bale and Jackman's performances as well as David Bowie and Andy Serkis' guest turns.  I'll definately be picking this one up on DVD.

Speaking of which, I bought and watched Thank You for Smoking tonight.  Another awesome movie- it's a wonderfully twisted black comedy with a great ensemble cast.
“Fear God and Dread Nought”

- Motto of Admiral Sir John Fisher

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2006, 11:20:55 PM »
Just Bought a movie called "DownFall" http://www.downfallthefilm.com/
A Bernd Eichinger production

The year is April 1945 Germany. Based on the final days of Germany during the second world war, its based around Hitler and the Third Reich. Takes place inside Hitlers bunker and and the remaining officers and plans.

I would seriously recommend this movie to any one who knows enough about the war.
ESF-12

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2006, 01:53:19 AM »
Oh, you mean "Der Untergang"? Haven't seen it, but I've heard good things about it.
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2006, 02:09:25 AM »
^^^^ well you should see it!! I can't believe how good the acting was, and the drama... even the action :o
ESF-12

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2006, 04:43:06 PM »
You can go here to see the trailer of Day 6 of 24 http://24trailer.com/
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2006, 07:42:57 PM »
A new trailer for Gears of War http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747891/vids_1.html click Mad World Trailer (October 25, 2006)

It's shows the game's "hero", Marcus Fenix, being chased by the Locus Hoarde.

I can not wait for this game!
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2006, 11:06:44 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126050

New images from Halo 3's multiplayer. Just scroll down some.

Please not that the graphics aren't done yet, and Bungie is still using some place holder stuff, and of course they are magazine scans.

And yes ladies and gentlemen, that's the Mongoose ATV that was supposed to be in Halo 2. They finaly got it in a Halo game.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 11:08:35 PM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2006, 12:30:41 AM »
Thank you Netflix...

Feast - This particular horror flick was produced for the 3rd season of "Project Greenlight".  I havent seen that show yet but I am pleased with the end results.  Feast concerns a group of misfits trapped by wild monsters in a desert bar.  Think Feast as a cross between Tremors and Demon Night.  There's gore galore and plenty of funny moments.  Hell the cast is introduced mearly by their character descriptions and how long they'll live.  Basically just a fun horror flick to watch on the weekends, though it contains one of my favorite horror movie quotes.

The Coach: I dont believe in guns.
The Boss: You'll be thinking differenntly when one of those things is gnawing on you.
The Couch: *holds up machete* This wont run out of ammo!

Altogether I give it a 8/10

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2006, 12:58:26 PM »
^^^^ sounds like good :D
ESF-12