Author Topic: General Media News and Review Thread  (Read 514992 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: General Media News and Review Thread
« Reply #3350 on: March 31, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »
I saw Ghost in the Shell about an hour ago. Overall, I liked it. Some of the changes were interesting. I'd say if nothing else, it's a relatively good introduction to the concepts in GitS. Oh, and if you've seen the '95 movie and are wondering about *the* song, it plays over the first few minutes of the closing credits.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: March 31, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
The live action Ghost in the Shell did not disappoint.  It was a solid adaptation of the '95 movie with a good bit from both seasons of Stand Alone Complex thrown into the mix.  The only complaint I have is more of a nitpick, and that is that the other members of Section 9 didn't really get that much to do.  Aramaki being a total badass almost made up for, but it still needed more Togusa and Saito (and the other two who's names escape me at the moment).  I wouldn't mind a sequel that gives the other members of Section 9 more to do.

Some random comments:
-Super nitpicky but I think calling the spider tank a spider tank was a little too on the nose, I think I like the term"multiped tank" from SAC more. 
-That graveyard near the end was freaking huge. 
-All those 3D holographic ads must be super distracting for drivers (or anyone who sees the 3D version of the movie).

Also saw Life, it was good, almost like a mashup of Alien and Gravity.  I liked the design of the "Calvin" creature.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: April 01, 2017, 02:03:50 AM »
I actually did go to a 3D screening. It was barely there in my opinion, so I didn't find the holographic ads terribly distracting.

You are right, though. The rest of Section 9 wasn't really given that much to do. If this had been an hour longer, maybe we would have seen more than we did.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: April 08, 2017, 09:56:28 PM »
Got back from seeing Life. Liked it for catching a movie, only saw it to see what the hype was. For a sci-fi horror movie it really falls short of that, I believe. I say it's about 6.5/10. VFX, Hiroyuki Sanada, Ryan Reynolds, and Jake Gyllenhaal, and a plot twist at the end brings it up to 6.5. Predictability and an unimaginative "life sample" killed the rest.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: Yesterday at 05:58:19 PM »
I got out of Fast 8 about an hour ago. Nice follow up to 7.