Author Topic: General Media News and Review Thread  (Read 531061 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: General Media News and Review Thread
« Reply #3350 on: March 31, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »
I saw Ghost in the Shell about an hour ago. Overall, I liked it. Some of the changes were interesting. I'd say if nothing else, it's a relatively good introduction to the concepts in GitS. Oh, and if you've seen the '95 movie and are wondering about *the* song, it plays over the first few minutes of the closing credits.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: March 31, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
The live action Ghost in the Shell did not disappoint.  It was a solid adaptation of the '95 movie with a good bit from both seasons of Stand Alone Complex thrown into the mix.  The only complaint I have is more of a nitpick, and that is that the other members of Section 9 didn't really get that much to do.  Aramaki being a total badass almost made up for, but it still needed more Togusa and Saito (and the other two who's names escape me at the moment).  I wouldn't mind a sequel that gives the other members of Section 9 more to do.

Some random comments:
-Super nitpicky but I think calling the spider tank a spider tank was a little too on the nose, I think I like the term"multiped tank" from SAC more. 
-That graveyard near the end was freaking huge. 
-All those 3D holographic ads must be super distracting for drivers (or anyone who sees the 3D version of the movie).

Also saw Life, it was good, almost like a mashup of Alien and Gravity.  I liked the design of the "Calvin" creature.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: April 01, 2017, 02:03:50 AM »
I actually did go to a 3D screening. It was barely there in my opinion, so I didn't find the holographic ads terribly distracting.

You are right, though. The rest of Section 9 wasn't really given that much to do. If this had been an hour longer, maybe we would have seen more than we did.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: April 08, 2017, 09:56:28 PM »
Got back from seeing Life. Liked it for catching a movie, only saw it to see what the hype was. For a sci-fi horror movie it really falls short of that, I believe. I say it's about 6.5/10. VFX, Hiroyuki Sanada, Ryan Reynolds, and Jake Gyllenhaal, and a plot twist at the end brings it up to 6.5. Predictability and an unimaginative "life sample" killed the rest.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: April 23, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »
I got out of Fast 8 about an hour ago. Nice follow up to 7.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: May 07, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
I saw Guardians 2 about a half an hour ago. It was a good way to follow up on the "Who's Peter's Dad?" question from the first one. I call the stakes somewhat higher here than in the first one because of the answer. Otherwise, stay through the credits. They must have been going for a record this time around. Some are relevant for later, others just fun.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: May 21, 2017, 03:58:37 PM »
Just got back from seeing Alien: Covenant. Came out underwhelmed borderline slightly disappointed. Good visuals, vfx and cgi. First half of the movie was of the Covenant and it's crew, then landing on the planet. The other half felt rushed with action plus story line plus philosophical/engineer/neomorph/xenomorph story line. Blood and gore was good, but not enough of it to be frightened out of my wits. There was no room left for suspense to be maintained like in the original Alien movies.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: May 30, 2017, 01:32:11 PM »
Saw Alien: Covenant a few days ago.  While I liked it for the most part there were a few annoyances I had with it, which are mostly horror cliches (people making bad/incredibly stupid decisions, predictable twists).

More specifically HUGE SPOILERS: When an obviously insane android is going on about his 'perfect organisms' and ask you to take a look inside an egg, you don't look in the freaking egg!  And of course David switched places with Walter, because you have to have a twist ending these days.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: June 04, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »
I just got back from Wonder Woman. If you've had doubts about the DCEU, this will set them aside.

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3359 on: June 10, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »
just watched Wonder Woman. Not a fan of superhero movies as of late but this was better than what I expected.
Back and forth
behind and down
When you were in and I was out
Me chasing lovers in the front line of the parking lot

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: June 15, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
I got back from the Mummy about 15-20 minutes ago. It's not as bad as the critics make it sound. They've set things up for more quite nicely.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: June 27, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »
To my extreme surprise, I'm in Vegas and I went with my Dad who doesn't tend to take me, I got to watch Transformers 5 about 20 or so minutes ago. Don't listen to anybody that gets paid to review movies. This one was very well done and not terribly difficult to follow. I think the one (new) character that stood out for me, and just about everybody else in the theater, would be Cogman. He's ... Very odd.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: July 14, 2017, 07:33:24 PM »
I just came out of War for the Planet of the Apes. It lives up to the other 2. It also ended the trilogy the way it needed to. Of the new characters, I'd say Bad Ape is the stand out here. There's very little that he did that didn't get a laugh.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: July 23, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
I just got back from seeing War for the Planet of the Apes.  Good movie, I agree with FLO about Bad Ape. SPOILERS Granted we don't know how long between when the Col. picked up that doll and when the attack happened, but it seemed like a day at most.  Damn that's a fast acting disease.

I also saw Spiderman: Homecoming.  While I'm bummed about them rebooting the Spiderman movies for a second time (more specifically I would have liked to see a continuation of the Amazing Spiderman movies), It's a pretty good movie.  And we didn't have to see Uncle Ben die for a third time, so that earns it a few points.  It has an obscure Trek Easter Egg in it.  As a side note, there doesn't really seem to be a good reason for the movie to be titled Spiderman: Homecoming other than the fact that the homecoming dance at Peter's school was shown.  His fancy tech-enhanced suit reminded me of the fancy batsuit in Batman Beyond.  And I do like the idea of a black market of reverse engineered alien tech emerging in the wake of the events of The Avengers.  Although, the movie might futz with the timeline of the MCU some.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: July 23, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
Apes: That's the funny thing about that. Time depends on the individual.

Homecoming: That's a neat Easter egg.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: July 30, 2017, 05:01:09 PM »
I saw Homecoming about an hour ago. Tom really understands Peter and Spider Man.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: August 06, 2017, 08:38:24 PM »
I just watched "King Charles III". HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT WAS SO FUCKING GOOD.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: August 13, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
I saw The Dark Tower about an hour ago. I went with someone who had read at least the first 3 books. We both liked it. It doesn't matter if you have read any of them or not, you'll still get what's going on. As a bonus if you are familiar with King's other works even in the slightest there are tons of shout outs.