Author Topic: The Making of Yesterday's Enterprise  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
The Making of Yesterday's Enterprise
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »
http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/05/15/Book-Reviewnbsp-The-Making-of-Yesterdays-Enterprise.shtml

A behind the scenes look at one of TNG's best episodes, from the writer himself.  It should be interesting.

Review by Jeff Ayers

I still remember sitting down to watch the Next Generation episode "Yesterday's Enterprise" when it premiered and being blown away.  The show kicked off  a steady stream of terrific episodes, instead of the hodgepodge mix of good and bad that plagued the show up to that point.  I was excited to learn that Eric Stillwell, script coordinator for TNG and a story co-credit for "Yesterday's Enterprise", decided to write about the genesis of the episode and its path from inception to the TV screen.

He begins his tale in the third season of TNG when Michael Piller took over the reins of the series.  He hooked up with Trent Christopher Ganino and worked on various pitches to run by Piller.  The initial ideas and how they became the filmed episode, and all of the background details are in full gear, creating a wonderful look at a time fondly remembered by fans of TNG.  Eric's writing is honest and forthcoming, even about how he feels about the various cast members, Michael Piller, and, yes, Rick Berman.  If behind-the-scenes books interest you or if you are a fan of this episode (and if you aren't you are sick and should see a doctor), then this is required reading.

9 out of 10
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Hypaspist

• View Profile
Re: The Making of Yesterday's Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:06:08 PM »
I remember that show being so good and it is still good, but not like watching it the first time.  What I did like was that they made it appear that the Enterprise D actually COULD be a ship at war and not just a luxurious peacetime science/discovery-ship.