Author Topic: Politics and Government Thread  (Read 196687 times)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Politics and Government Thread
« on: May 19, 2008, 03:47:14 AM »
I'm going to sticky this until after the election. Post any news articles or relevant discussion here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:11:51 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 US Presidential Election Topic
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 03:56:09 AM »
This video is really all you need to see to know not to vote for Grandpa Munster. It makes John Kerry's I voted for it before I voted against it" look like a hiccup.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:59:01 AM by Stoo »

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:59:25 AM »
Link
McCain: U.S. can win Iraq war within 4 years
GOP presidential candidate spells out his vision for White House

updated 9:12 a.m. PT, Thurs., May. 15, 2008

COLUMBUS, Ohio - John McCain , looking through a crystal ball to 2013 and the end of a prospective first term, sees "spasmodic" but reduced violence in Iraq and Afghanistan, Osama bin Laden dead or captured and government spending curbed by his ready veto pen.

The Republican presidential contender also envisions April's annual angst replaced with the option of a simpler flat tax, illegal immigrants living humanely under a temporary worker program, and political partisanship driven by weekly news conferences and British-style question periods with joint meetings of Congress.

In a speech Thursday, McCain conceded he cannot make the changes alone, but he wanted to outline a specific governing style to show the accomplishments it can achieve. He backed up his remarks with a Web ad featuring similar content.

"I'm not interested in partisanship that serves no other purpose than to gain a temporary advantage over our opponents. This mindless, paralyzing rancor must come to an end. We belong to different parties, not different countries," McCain told several hundred in the capital city of Ohio, a general election battleground. "There is a time to campaign, and a time to govern. If I'm elected president, the era of the permanent campaign will end; the era of problem-solving will begin."

Maverick McCain
To the disdain of some fellow Republicans, the likely GOP nominee has worked with Democrats on legislation aimed at overhauling campaign finance regulations, redrafting immigration rules and regulations and implementing government spending controls.

While that has cultivated a maverick image for McCain, the Arizona senator has also been accused of exhibiting a nasty temper — swearing even at fellow lawmakers from his own party — and unabashed partisanship.

In particular, McCain has clashed with the leading Democratic presidential contender, Barack Obama. After tangling with the Illinois senator on lobbying reforms, McCain questioned Obama's integrity in a publicly released 2006 letter.

McCain wrote he had thought Obama's interest in ethics legislation "was genuine and admirable," before adding: "Thank you for disabusing me of such notions." He accused Obama of "partisan posturing."

Message board
What do you think of McCain's candidacy?

While calling for Congress to drop mindless partisanship, McCain also chided the media — with whom he has enjoyed a generally positive relationship — for fueling contention with its campaign coverage.

"Campaigns and the media collaborated as architects of the modern presidential campaign, and we deserve equal blame for the regret we feel from time to time over its less-than-inspirational features," he said.

Looking ahead
Anticipating a key achievement of his administration, McCain said: "The Iraq war has been won. Iraq is a functioning democracy, although still suffering from the lingering effects of decades of tyranny and centuries of sectarian tension. Violence still occurs, but it is spasmodic and much reduced."

Speaking to reporters afterward, McCain denied that by saying the war would be won by 2013 he was setting a timetable for U.S. withdrawal from Iraq — something he has criticized former rival Mitt Romney for doing.

"It's not a timetable; it's victory. It's victory, which I have always predicted," McCain said. "I'm not putting a date on it. It could be next month, it could be next year, it could be three years from now."

Video

McCain: Bush and I agree to disagree
May 1: Sen. John McCain begins his day with a cup of "Morning Joe," saying that, in the midst of the campaign, he is still incredibly focused on military and political progress in Iraq.

Morning Joe
He distinguished himself from Obama and fellow Democratic presidential contender Hillary Clinton, who have both pledged to begin withdrawing U.S. troops if elected in November,

"I know from experience, you set a day for surrender — which is basically what you do when you say you are withdrawing — and you will pay a much a heavier price later on," McCain said.

In a statement, Clinton dismissed McCain's promise of victory in Iraq and said he "promises more of the same Bush policies that have weakened our military, our national security, and our standing in the world."

One more time?
In outlining other potential achievements of a first term in his speech, the 71-year-old McCain implicitly was suggesting he would seek a second term, an attempt to mute suggestions he would serve only four years after being the oldest president elected.

In particular, he sees a world in which:

* The Taliban threat in Afghanistan has been greatly reduced.
    * "The increase in actionable intelligence that the counterinsurgency produced led to the capture or death of Osama bin Laden, and his chief lieutenants," McCain said. "There still has not been a major terrorist attack in the United States since Sept. 11, 2001."
    * A "League of Democracies" has supplanted a failed United Nations to apply sanctions to the Sudanese government and halt genocide in Darfur.
    * The United States has had "several years of robust growth," appropriations bills free of lawmakers' pet projects known as "earmarks," public education improved by charter schools, health care improved by expansion of the private market and an energy crisis stemmed through the start of construction on 20 new nuclear reactors.

McCain also pledges to halt a Bush administration practice of enacting laws with accompanying signing statements that exempt the president from having to enforce parts he finds objectionable.

copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

What a lying, flip-flopping felcher.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:11:13 AM by Flagg »

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 04:38:06 AM »
Bond is right, I'm being a douchebag. I apologize to everyone.

Except stoo. He knows what he did... :P

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:43:48 AM »
This video is really all you need to see to know not to vote for Grandpa Munster. It makes John Kerry's I voted for it before I voted against it" look like a hiccup.

So did he vote for those taxcuts or didn't he?
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:40:35 AM »
Let's have a look at the actions of McCain and Obama.

McCains voting record
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/m000303/

Obamas voting record
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 07:52:57 AM »
Record Obama Crowd, the Size of a City

By Matthew Mosk (Associated Press)

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) speaks to people at Waterfront Park in Portland, Ore., May 18, 2008.

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Sen. Barack Obama has seen his share of large crowds over the last 15 months, but his campaign said they have not approached the numbers gathered along the waterfront here right now.

The campaign, citing figures from Duane Bray, battalion chief of Portland Fire & Rescue, estimated that 75,000 people are watching him speak.

The scene suggests this is not an exaggeration. The sea of heads stretches for half a mile along the grassy embankment, while others watch from kayaks and power boats bobbing on the Willamette River. More hug the rails of the steel bridge that stretches across the water and crowds are even watching from jetties on the opposite shore.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/18/record_obama_crowd_the_size_of.html

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 03:57:47 PM »
Money can't buy you votes.

Nice. Nothing says "Democratic Process" like a good ol' fashioned bribe.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 05:25:59 PM »
The guy's a billionaire and the best he can do is a million?! Such a low figure is insulting.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 05:59:18 PM »

So did he vote for those taxcuts or didn't he?

Yes. Now he supports extending them indefinitely, while he previously said he wouldn't do so. So, liar.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 09:45:33 PM »
Fix the link please!  Oh, and the only reason you CANT vote for anyone OTHER then McCain is simple; life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:55:09 PM »
Life? Huh?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »
Fix the link please!  Oh, and the only reason you CANT vote for anyone OTHER then McCain is simple; life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pillsy, shut UP..!

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »
Umm what? Is that some sort of joke or are you being serious?

Offline Ozzymandeus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »
I too get a load error when i hit the link, please correct this  >:(
You are the Smartass! In fact, you could very well be the anti-Christ, as you are almost the exact opposite of everything Jesus was supposed to be. While Jesus says love your enemy, you say love beating the crap out of your enemy. While Jesus raises the dead, you raise hell. While Jesus walks on water, you tend to sink. You probably consider people who are emotional and gentle to be big pussies who are obviously in lesser stature than you. You have many flaws, despite your seeming intelligence and cool-headedness. For instance, you aren't very nice. In fact, you're probably an asshole.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »
If you cant figure out how to fix that link yourself, you don't deserve to be on my internets.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »

ABORTIONS FOR ALL! (starting with his grandmother 50 years ago).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 12:30:48 AM by Flagg »

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 12:26:12 PM »
Kang: Abortions for all!
[Crowd boos]
Kang: ... Very well, no abortions for anyone!
[Crowd boos again]
Kang: Hmm... Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!
[Crowd cheers and waves miniature flags]
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 12:59:04 PM »
According to this. McCain has a hot temper.

In US election, every (written) word counts by Virginie Montet
Sun May 18, 3:30 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Hillary Clinton is smart and forceful, John McCain is proud but has a volatile temper, and Barack Obama is a diplomat who deals well with different people and situations.

ADVERTISEMENT

At least, that's what graphologists say their handwriting reveals about them.

"Handwriting is a reflection of the inner personality. It shows a person's ego strength, how good they feel about themselves, their intellectual, communication and working styles," graphologist Sheila Lowe, author of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Handwriting Analysis", told AFP.

Graphology -- the study of how we loop our Ls and cross our Ts -- is not taken as seriously in the United States as in Europe.

But every four years, when a US presidential election rolls around, practitioners of the arcane science are much sought after as Americans try everything to analyze contenders for the White House.

"Each time there are elections, I get invited to TV shows, radio shows," Lowe said. "There is always somebody who wants to know something, even if they don't take graphology seriously."

Just the signatures of the candidates are revelatory -- at least to the eye of an expert.

Republican John McCain's signature shows a proud, idealistic but impulsive, if not uncontrollable man, according to the experts.

Lowe saw impulsiveness and a "short fuse" in McCain's variable writing style.

New York graphologist Roger Rubin agreed, and also saw a powerful ego at play in the senator from Arizona.

"The unevenness of the rhythm reflects the unevenness of his temperament," Rubin said.

"The capital J is the largest letter, which shows his strong belief in his own ego. The size of 'John' overwhelms the size of 'McCain' -- this shows how distant he is from his family roots."

Obama's signature reveals similar traits.

The vertical straight line of the B in Obama cuts through the large O -- which is nonetheless smaller than the B in Barack.

"The very large B shows he also has a very strong sense of his own ego," Rubin said.

"And he is crossing out his family name," he added, recalling that Obama's father left the family when the front-runner for the Democratic nomination was just a young boy.

Another graphologist had a different interpretation of the bisected O.

"He draws that circle and a line through it, and it's really like he has two different worlds," said Paula Sassi, who has been interpreting handwriting for 28 years.

"I think it shows his black and white heritage."

The fluidity of Obama's signature is a sign of high intelligence, while its illegibility shows he is protecting his privacy.

"He doesn't want you to know him too well," said Arlyn Imberman, author of "Signatures for Success."

"He shows a part of himself to the world but not everything," said Lowe.

The large letters in Obama's signature show that he is ambitious, self-confident and views himself as a leader, said Imberman.

"The fluid letter forms reveal that he can form a coalition, be diplomatic and get along with both sides of the aisle," she added. "He's the type of guy who could tell you to go to hell and you'd enjoy the trip."

Clinton's legible, balanced signature shows a woman of great intelligence.

It's simplicity portrays a "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" personality, said Lowe.

Her straight-up-and-down writing indicates that she "thinks with her head, not with her heart," said Sassi.

"But there is enough roundness in her writing to show that she cares about people," said Imberman.

The fact that the second leg of the H and the second L in Hillary are higher than the first show ambition.

And she's a perfectionist: "Every thing is written carefully, legibly," said Imberman.

It is difficult, the experts say, to tell the sex of a person from their handwriting, or to discern if they are left- or right-handed.

But, interestingly enough, Obama and McCain are lefties -- just like four out of five US presidents immediately before them: Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George Bush Sr and Bill Clinton.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080518/ts_alt_afp/usvotegraphology;_ylt=Ag31cnPBq0VRm2tNxB5YiIADW7oF

Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
I like how they presume that this is taken more seriously in Europe than in the United States.

Well, not in my part of that Europe, I can tell you that much.
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
Yeah, but your part of Europe sucks & is full of hippies. Let the sea in, dude.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 07:20:04 PM »
^^^Europe dosen't count because its full of stoned slackers, cheese eating surrender monkeys, tea drinking limeys and irish drunkards.  thats why we didnt need them when we made our heroic crus...er...freedom run into iraq. 8) ;D
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »
<snip stupidity>

Handwriting analysts? Really?

Hey WW, next give an article by a fucking psychic!

Idiot.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 08:00:05 PM »
You see here how the "B" in Barack makes two loops? That indicates a strong desire for breasts, especially since breasts and boobs also start with Bs.

The lowercase "a" indicates an understanding of basic rules of what letters can and can not be capitalized, so clearly we're dealing with a man with at least a first grade education.

The hook on the "r" is clearly a reference to him being a fan of "Showtime at the Apollo" and that lovable clown that hooks the bad singers and white people off the stage. 

The other lowercase "a" shows that he has very little patience for assholes.

The "c," now that's a conundrum, so I'll just go ahead and say that that means he's a conundrum.

Ooh, and here's a good one. Notice the three lines in the "k"? That indicates a strong dislike of the KKK.

I just think it's funny that they think they can glean all of this meaningful personal information from someone's handwriting (most of which are just pretty obvious character traits you can get from watching the person on TV) but say that it's nearly impossible to tell if someone's male or female from their handwriting, which is extremely easy in my experience.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:12:12 PM by Bond, James Bond »

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 08:38:41 PM »
LOLZ  ;D!  This is hilarious! Theres the trick, make it make sense!  If you can make sense, then people will follow you... Stupid people!  That's why Obama's so populer!  And Bush is hated (people hate Bush, that's there opinion, but the reasons are totally unfair.  They hate the way he talks, and use the econemy as a backup even though he had nothing to do with it)  Oh!  And that Cubism thing!