Author Topic: Politics and Government Thread  (Read 196685 times)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: Politics and Government Thread
« Reply #1250 on: November 09, 2016, 11:12:36 PM »
So apparently not only did Canada's Immigration website crash yesterday, but the housing market has seen a boom in interest from the US.

I know people joke about moving out of their countries if the party they don't like gets in, but there is a real possibility that large number will follow through this time.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 10, 2016, 12:04:33 AM »
Speaking of which hey Xero you need a roomate?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 10, 2016, 12:21:30 AM »
Speaking of which hey Xero you need a roomate?

Nope. Ask FLO.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 10, 2016, 03:46:26 AM »
hehe. Unfortunately my house isn't big enough. That said, Ottawa's bound to have a few places for sale, some of it being brand new.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 10, 2016, 08:03:01 AM »
Well, on the bright side quite a few first time minority and/or women won positions.

Also does anyone else have the [sarcasm mode]joy[/sarcasm mode] of looking forward to a Senate run-off election?

So apparently not only did Canada's Immigration website crash yesterday, but the housing market has seen a boom in interest from the US.

I know people joke about moving out of their countries if the party they don't like gets in, but there is a real possibility that large number will follow through this time.

Hopefully it will mostly be from the 42% or so of eligible voters who didn't bother to vote, and/or the people who didn't vote for president, and/or the people who wasted their vote on those joke 3rd party candidates.

I know it's tempting to jump ship, but there's a mid-term election in 2018.  As long as WWIII/Yellowstone eruption/meteor collision/alien invasion/robot revolution/zombie apocalypse/societal collapse/U.S. Civil War 2.0 doesn't happen we can at least turn Congress around ahead of the 2020 election.

It's not quite over yet.

If they US voted for that shit bucket, they deserve him. I miss Bush.

Just a reminder he lost the popular vote.

Yay, a repeat of the 2000 election, but without the recounts...

Seriously, what is wrong with the US?

Based on a segment on 60 Minutes, the thoughts of a 95-year-old voter on the news last night, and my own personal thoughts: the 2000 election is probably one of the bigger factors.  Yes, politics has become increasingly polarized and partisan over the last 30-40 years, but things came to a head after the 2000 election.  The bitterness over the results lead to a lot of anger.

It's when both sides basically stopped talking to each other and the whole "Liberals/Conservatives are retarded!" mentality really took off.  And it's only gotten worse in the last 16 years.  Watch things like Full Frontal and The Daily Show and you can see people on both sides refuse to even think about something positive about the people on other side.  You can see Democrats and Republicans at the DNC and RNC tell people on the other side not to be divisive while at the same time using divisive language and not realizing the irony/hypocrisy.  Reasonable debates on the issues became almost impossible.  I was honestly worried that all this "rigged election" bullshit would lead to a 2nd U.S. Civil War if Hillary won.

Also the rise of "reality" television, since this whole election season felt like a really bad "reality" TV series.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 10, 2016, 11:52:52 AM »
Well, yeah, lots of hate an hysteria all around.  Honestly the regressive left reminds me a lot of the Christian right in how they view any opposition as the embodiment of evil and they refuse to compromise in any way because of it.  To hear them talk, Trump is the next Hitler.  And while I have some reservations given some of his stances, he's not Hitler.

The real problem here is that this is the inevitable outcome of the "first past the post" system that we have.  It leaves us with no real choice because it will always come down to only two options to pick from, because any serious alternative will just result in someone winning who didn't actually get the majority of votes, but simply got the most out of those running.  So what it turns into is voting against the one you don't want, and it seems like the big two are just appealing more and more to their extreme elements to get more people to vote.  The fear-mongering used by both sides is a great example of this.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 10, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »
I was just asked why Canadians were so invested in the US election, and I think a Pierre Trudeau summed it up nicely

"Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 10, 2016, 03:18:54 PM »
I don't think I could agree more with that quote.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 10, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
Good quote.

Speaking of quotes, I think this one sums up what I was talking about earlier (and forgot to bring up in the original post).

"When I am human I will talk to you about things of little to no importance.  I will avoid politics and religion, because if you do not agree, you will not like me anymore." - Mal the malfunctioning robot - Borderlands 2
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:49:47 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 10, 2016, 06:06:05 PM »
'I will avoid politics and religion,' generally how I live my life but this is one of those times that I just can't ignore even though it doesn't effect my day to day life.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: November 10, 2016, 08:27:29 PM »
Trump's win has given a boost to that ultra-right wing nut job in France, and Kellie Leitch here in Canada.

Though Leitch is so hated by her party that it's unlikely she'll get the leadership.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 11, 2016, 03:35:20 AM »
'I will avoid politics and religion,' generally how I live my life but this is one of those times that I just can't ignore even though it doesn't effect my day to day life.

Oh, me too.  The avoiding part at least, since I live in a red state and don't feel like getting into unnecessary arguments.

Trump's win has given a boost to that ultra-right wing nut job in France, and Kellie Leitch here in Canada.

Though Leitch is so hated by her party that it's unlikely she'll get the leadership.

His rhetoric emboldened ex-KKK Grand Wizard David Duke to crawl out of the swamp (to borrow something another candidate said at the LA Senate debate) and run for Vitter's empty Senate seat.  Thankfully he didn't qualify for the run-off election nor was he even in the top 5.  Though he did manage to poll at 5%, which got him into said LA Senate debate.  I didn't watch it, but what little I saw on the news reminded me of the other debates and such this election season (shouting matches with the moderator, etc.).  Oh, and there was a protest at the university where the debate was held, because of Duke, and the protesters tried to enter the building where the debate was held and got maced.  There were 24 people running BTW.  Only 5 of them ever got any air time (Duke not being one of them).

Offline Maphisto86

• The times they are disorienting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 15, 2016, 09:00:40 PM »
Over the past couple of years, I sometimes wonder if we were all transported to our own, bizarro, mirror universe.
"To see ourselves as others see us is a most salutary gift. Hardly less important is the capacity to see others as they see themselves."  - Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 15, 2016, 10:44:33 PM »
Last week seems to be proof enough for me.