Author Topic: Politics and Government Thread  (Read 196633 times)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 US Presidential Election Topic
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »
LOLZ  ;D!  This is hilarious! Theres the trick, make it make sense!  If you can make sense, then people will follow you... Stupid people!  That's why Obama's so populer!  And Bush is hated (people hate Bush, that's there opinion, but the reasons are totally unfair.  They hate the way he talks, and use the econemy as a backup even though he had nothing to do with it)  Oh!  And that Cubism thing!

Great, we get rid of MD, but we're still stuck with this guy...
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 08:47:07 PM »
 :'( words hurt, you know. :'(    :P!

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »
LOLZ  ;D!  This is hilarious! Theres the trick, make it make sense!  If you can make sense, then people will follow you... Stupid people!  That's why Obama's so populer!  And Bush is hated (people hate Bush, that's there opinion, but the reasons are totally unfair.  They hate the way he talks, and use the econemy as a backup even though he had nothing to do with it)  Oh!  And that Cubism thing!

Great, we get rid of MD, but we're still stuck with this guy...

Guess someone had to fill the void that's been forming around here.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
<snip stupidity>

Handwriting analysts? Really?

Hey WW, next give an article by a fucking psychic!

Idiot.

If i  Recall correctly. Bond gave you specfic orders not to call members names, but here you are doing it again. So who's the real idiot?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:25:55 AM by White Wolf »
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 02:43:31 AM »
I'm looking into my time-looker-forward tube and I see this argument not continuing.

It better not be wrong, or, like, the fabric of time and space breaks down and I get grumpy.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 03:51:14 AM »

Um, and the Iraq War.  And Katrina.  And all sorts of other stupid stuff that he's done.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 04:27:48 AM »
Fix the link please!  Oh, and the only reason you CANT vote for anyone OTHER then McCain is simple; life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But what if you love steamed fetus over rice?

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 04:31:34 AM »

Please allow me to respond in the only way appropriate:

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 05:02:53 AM »

Please allow me to respond in the only way appropriate:

I thought that was self-evident. ???

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 05:18:20 AM »

Goddamnit Pillzy, why do you have to ruin everything?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:21:40 AM by The Daft Punk »
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 11:14:45 AM »
Yeah, but your part of Europe sucks & is full of hippies. Let the sea in, dude.

So that's why the U.S. is refusing to fight global warming.  Because actually they intend to flood The Netherlands and get rid of the only European country which supported their ridiculous little war in Iraq.

Well, the only real country, anyway.
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »
That's why the Republican Party hates dikes.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 12:10:49 PM »
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 05:11:18 AM »
That's why the Republican Party hates dikes.

Because dikes stop the flow.
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 06:30:05 PM »
If I may, does anyone have a link to Clinton's backpedaling to get Florida delegates to count? I read about it in the newspaper here but haven't found a link yet.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 09:12:16 AM »
Clinton's Shocking Florida Gambit.

Clinton's Shocking Florida Gambit
Hillary Clinton's rhetoric today about counting the results in Florida and Michigan is simply incredible. Her speech compares discounting the Florida and Michigan primaries to vote suppression and slavery:

She said "there's a reason why so many have fought so hard and sacrificed so much. It's because they knew that to be a citizen of this country is to have the right and responsibility to help shape its future. Not just to have your voice heard but to have it count. People have fought hard because they knew their vote was at stake and so was their children's futures.

Those people, she said “refused to accept their assigned place as second-class citizens. Men and women who saw America not as it was, but as it could and should be, and committed themselves to extending the frontiers of our democracy. The abolitionists and all who fought to end slavery and ensure freedom came with the full right of citizenship. The tenacious women and a few brave men who gathered at the Seneca Falls convention back in 1848 to demand the right to vote.”

It's worth repeating: They supported this "disenfranchisement." Here's a New York Times story from last fall, headlined, "Clinton, Obama and Edwards Join Pledge to Avoid Defiant States."

Moreover, it's obviously true that Obama not campaigning, organizing, or advertizing in those states hurt him, and helped the more familiar candidate in Clinton. She decided to campaign to change the rules only after it became her interest to do so.

This gambit by Clinton is simply an attempt to steal the nomination. It's obviously not going to work, because Democratic superdelegates don't want to commit suicide. But this episode is very revealing about Clinton's character. I try not to make moralistic characterological judgments about politicians, because all politicians compromise their ideals in the pursuit of power. There are no angels in this business. Clinton's gambit, however, truly is breathtaking.

If she's consciously lying, it's a shockingly cynical move. I don't think she's lying. I think she's so convinced of her own morality and historical importance that she can whip herself into a moralistic fervor to support nearly any position that might benefit her, however crass and sleazy. It's not just that she's convinced herself it's okay to try to steal the nomination, she has also appropriated the most sacred legacies of liberalism for her effort to do so. She is proving herself temperamentally unfit for the presidency.

~~~~~~~~

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 05:31:21 PM »
And today, she's brought up RFK's assassination as a reason for why she's still moving forward with the campaign. God knows for some fucked up reason.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »
^^^ I was just about to post that.

Here's the video:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5vyFqmp4wzI

HILLARY RAISES ASSASSINATION ISSUE

By GEOFF EARLE
May 23, 2008 --

Hillary Clinton today brought up the assassination of Sen. Robert Kennedy while defending her decision to stay in the race against Barack Obama.

"My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. I don't understand it," she said, dismissing calls to drop out.

Obama's camp immediately fired back.

"Sen. Clinton's statement before the Argus Leader editorial board was unfortunate and has no place in this campaign," Obama campaign spokesman said in a statement.

Clinton made her comments at a meeting with the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader's editorial board while campaigning in South Dakota, where she complained that, "People have been trying to push me out of this ever since Iowa."

Obama, the first African-American to advance so far in the race for the White House, has faced threats, sources have said.

Robert Kennedy, the younger brother of President John F. Kennedy, was gunned down in 1968 after winning the California primary. He had been a hero on the left for his civil rights agenda and calls to end the war in Vietnam.

Barack Obama, who leads Clinton by nearly 200 delegates and has already secured a majority of pledged delegates, has been the subject of threats. Early in the campaign, the Secret Service gave him a security detail at the request of Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Illinois).

Clinton criticized an "urgency" to end the campaign prematurely, saying, "Historically, that makes no sense."

She later issued an apology for the remark.

"I regret that if my referencing that moment of trauma for our entire nation and in particular the Kennedy family was in any way offensive. I certainly had no intention of that whatsoever," the former first lady said.

Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson defended the comments to The Post, "She was talking about the length of the race and using the '68 election as an example of how long the races in the past have gone -- she used her husband's race in the same vein."

Link

Jesus Christ. What the hell is the matter with these people? Maybe it's just a slip of the tongue and she didn't know what she was implying, but there seems to be an awful lot of that going around where it comes to Obama.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:52:55 PM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »
Thats what she's hoping for. Bringing up the issue was to test the waters to see if it was an issue that she could use against him with the superdelegates and it's only her complete detachment from reality that's at fault for her shell shocked response over the uproar this caused . And to do it the same week that the brother of RFK gets diagnosed with terminal brain cancer just shows what a tactless cunt she is.

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2008, 08:53:40 PM »
If she ends up losing horribly, which it looks like is going to happen, do you think she would ever be taken seriously enough to have a chance to run for Presidency again?
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2008, 08:53:50 PM »
Noting says "I'll be your veep" like saying "I hope you die."

If she ends up losing horribly, which it looks like is going to happen, do you think she would ever be taken seriously enough to have a chance to run for Presidency again?

The electorate has enough stupid people in it to make sure Hillary at least thinks she'll have a chance.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2008, 09:08:13 PM »

Well, she certainly has enough supporters to run again and last a while, but I don't think she will ever be a serious contender again after the fiasco of this campaign. She already had bad blood with the opposition, but now she's engendered plenty of bad blood amongst Democrats as well. They say people have short memories, but I didn't hear too many people calling for Kerry to run again this time after losing an election that was his to win in 2004.

They were just completely unprepared to have anyone challenge her rightful ascension to the throne. She felt entitled to the presidency, and when Obama ripped that rug of entitlement out from under her, she just started imploding and getting more and more nuts. It's just fortunate that someone challenged her enough that her collapse came during the election rather than in the White House, because it's really scary to think of her actually being in charge of the country. Not as scary as McCain by a long shot, but still unsettling.

If there's anything good to come out of her candidacy, it's that it gives other, better, female candidates hope for being electable themselves. The odd thing is, it's not men who are the chief obstacle to a woman becoming president, it's other women.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »
Olbermann on Clinton's RFK comment, Part 2

I love the bit at the end where he lists all the crazy and offensive things she's done in the campaign.
~~~~~~~~

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2008, 05:47:04 PM »
I count 19 things listed on his we have forgiven you but not this list. that includes this last thing.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »
I count 19 things listed on his we have forgiven you but not this list. that includes this last thing.

Is that some new language there or are you drunk?