Author Topic: Politics and Government Thread  (Read 196632 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 US Presidential Election Topic
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2008, 08:24:41 PM »
Olbermann on Clinton's RFK comment, Part 2

I love the bit at the end where he lists all the crazy and offensive things she's done in the campaign.

Damn straight Keith!  I love his special comments.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »
I count 19 things listed on his we have forgiven you but not this list. that includes this last thing.

Is that some new language there or are you drunk?

Good question. I think it's some sort of new language.
I'm not always able to think straight when I'm hungry and still waiting for dinner to finish cooking.

What i was trying to say was I counted 19 offensive crazy batshit he listed that Clinton has pulled.
Or to be sure you'll understand.

Cunts For Eyes!

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2008, 01:03:48 AM »
Cunts For Eyes!

Now you're making sense.

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2008, 06:31:48 AM »
Olbermann on Clinton's RFK comment, Part 2

I love the bit at the end where he lists all the crazy and offensive things she's done in the campaign.

Isn't it pretty obvious she was just refering to RFK's campaign running all the way till June?  This Olbermann's outrage is ridiculous to the absurd.  If the mere mentioning of the term "assassination" would be as inflammatory as Olbermann says it is, then American society is more fucked up than we already knew it was.  Obviously, that's not the case.  I'd say this Oldermann is the only one who's really being offensive here.
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2008, 06:43:56 AM »
If she was just referring to RFK's campaign running all the way to June, then why not simply say that? Why toss in the assassination reference, and why use it repeatedly in multiple speeches when it's completely superfluous to making that point? There are plenty of other examples she could have used as well, so why go for the charismatic young Senator assassinated during a time of war?

It's not like these comments are just some off-the-cuff remark during an interview where she didn't mean what she said (as I thought might be the case earlier when I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt), it's a prepared speech that has been used on several occasions. They pour over those speeches top to bottom looking at all angles to see how it plays with the voters, and I have a hard time believing that they didn't recognize that it could be seen as being in poor taste, especially after something very similar occurred with Mike Huckabee referencing Obama and assassination very recently.

Yes, Olbermann's probably going to bleed internally one of these days after a hard rant, but this latest example of verbal misconduct is just the tip of the iceberg with her, as he laid out so clearly during his speech. If she didn't have a long history of making inappropriate or false comments perhaps it wouldn't be such a big deal, but she does have such a history.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 06:50:08 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2008, 07:43:29 AM »
Maybe you're right.  I think Olbermann's rant uncalled for nonetheless, but perhaps I'm just more willing to give her the benefit of the doubt still. 
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2008, 08:29:08 AM »
I think that even if she meant nothing sinister by her comments (which I seriously doubt), it's just another in a long line of inappropriate comments that Clinton has made. I honestly feel that if she was any one else, her campaign would have been discontinued long ago.

Regardless, I think this is her "Dean Scream", or her "Macca" moment. This is a campaign killing gaffe. Whatever happens in the next few days, this is marks the end of the Clinton campaign.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »
And the comedy fest that is the prospect of Obama being assassinated just keeps on coming:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8T5eDDL1WuM

Skip forward to about 1:20 if FAUX News makes your ears start to bleed.

TROTTA: The vast right wing conspiracy blame has been undermined by her evasions, by her outright lies if I may say, by her pandering, by her race baiting, and now we have what some are reading as a suggestion that somebody knock off Osama--

SHAWN: Obama.

TROTTA: --um Obama, [laughs] well both if we could.

While she was being critical of Clinton's statement, what the hell is wrong with people that they think this shit is somehow humorous?

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »
Whore.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2008, 10:07:39 AM »
Fox News, the greatest comedy act since Burns and Allen.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »
A friend of mine has written an article about Hillary's fashion choices that is quite interesting to read. He plans on doing a menswear one tomorrow.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2008, 03:19:43 AM »
That is a good article with some interesting insights, though to be fair I think the way Hillary dresses is one of the few truly honest things about her that isn't crafted to appeal to each audience (with occasional exceptions like the time they had her show some cleavage). She's not feminine in the traditional sense, though that's not necessarily a bad thing since why should she have to conform to traditional gender stereotypes?

I think she really is cold and unemotional, not just pretending to be that way for the sake of fitting in a traditionally male dominated role. Many men in similar roles are cold, calculating, and unemotional as well. It's part of what makes them effective administrators though not always the best campaigners, where appeals to emotion often carry the day.   

Not that fashion is that important an issue, as pointed out in the article, but it is an interesting point.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2008, 04:03:30 AM »
She just wears pantsuits to hold the snuke in her snizz.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2008, 03:23:30 PM »
DNC Florida Compromise Reached, Michigan Deal On The Table
The Democratic Party's Rules and Bylaws Committee is close to reaching a deal to seat the entire Florida and Michigan delegations, each with half of its vote, according to multiple sources.

Sen. Hillary Clinton would gain a net of approximately 28 delegates - not enough to seriously threaten Obama's national delegate advantage. Sources said both campaigns were willing to hammer out an agreement along these lines.

Two officials, including a high-ranking member of the Florida delegation, confirmed that DNC members reached an agreement last night and will seat the state's entire delegation but give each delegate half a vote. The result of the Florida deal would be a net gain of 19 delegates for Clinton, though there is no word yet on how the state's superdelegates will be allocated. It is, the official says, a compromise that Sen. Barack Obama will accept. "There will be theater but not much fight."

The Michigan compromise, details of which must still be worked out, would give the majority of delegates to Clinton, who won 55 percent of the vote in the state's primary. Those with knowledge of the RBC's inner workings say the potential deal involves all of the candidates who took their names off the state's ballot voluntarily agreeing that the now-uncommitted delegates would go to Obama. The Illinois Democrat, accordingly, would receive 40 percent of delegates. Clinton nets roughly nine delegates on Obama under this scenario.

Democratic sources believe the Michigan proposal stands the greatest chance of passing: it would pacify Sen. Carl Levin, who has demanded that his state's non-sanctioned January primary be fully honored; and it would circumvent the Clinton campaign's insistence that party rules prevent simply assigning all of Michigan's uncommitted delegates to Obama.

In addition to Obama, Sen. Joseph Biden, former Sen. John Edwards and Gov. Bill Richardson all removed their names from the Michigan ballot. The Clinton campaign has contended that it would be against party rules to simply determine that all "uncommitted" voters were backing Obama. The floated compromise would resolve that dispute.

Tad Devine, a veteran Democratic strategist who helped craft the delegate selection rules, says that such a compromise would be "based on the broad grant of authority under the charter of the [Rules and Bylaws Committee]." In other words, he said, the deal would rest on the agreement of all the relevant campaigns and Democratic leaders, not any specific party rules.

Another Michigan compromise -- splitting the state's delegates 50-50 between Obama and Clinton - was three votes shy of receiving majority support from the Rules and Bylaws Committee, The Huffington Post was told.

Sounds like Game Over for Hillary. Working out some batshit crazy deal on Michigan and Florida where she was awarded some insane amount of delegates was her last hope, and now it's gone. If she's smart she'll concede after June 3rd.

~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
Well, she was determined to make it to June, so I figure it's far more likely that she'll bow out now.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2008, 05:09:36 PM »
Each michigan delegate can cast 1/2 vote. It's being slipt 69(Clinton)-59(Obama). 19 yay, 8 nay, no abstentions. Ickes tried to make it out to be a bad thing by 4 delegates being taken from Clinton in the deal.

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
So...it's officially official, Obama for the win?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080603/ap_on_el_pr/primary_rdp

And now Clinton's open to being his VP.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080603/ap_on_el_pr/clinton
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
It's not official until the convention. It's just to the point where even the horribly Clinton-biased media can no longer pretend she has a chance in hell of winning.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »
I hope Obama laughs in her face when she asks to be his VP. Can you imagine how awkward it's going to be for Hillary to stump for Obama in the fall? Campaigning for someone she said was in no way experienced enough for the job is going to be ridiculous.

It's not official until the convention. It's just to the point where even the horribly Clinton-biased media can no longer pretend she has a chance in hell of winning.

Not all media sources are Clinton-biased. Slate.com and the Huffington Post are pro-Obama (Slate) or fairly balanced (HuffPost, and the Washington Post is pretty critical of Hillary. The most obviously pro-Clinton news source I can think of is either CNN or The New York Times.
~~~~~~~~

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »
Wow. Did anyone watch Hillary's speech? What a terrible showing. It was all soundbites, and moreover all over the place. It had no coherent themes, and she kept spouting that BS story about how she's won the popular vote (only if you don't count any of the caucus states that voted for Obama, and Michigan, where Obama wasn't on the ballot). If this was her pitch to be Obama's VP, she failed.

The saddest thing was that sob story she told about the woman in South Dakota who couldn't afford health-insurance. How can she stand there and tell that story, when she is the one who's directly responsible for that woman not having health-care. Actually made me feel ill, her standing up there and trying to tug at our heartstrings when it's her own fault.

Let's see what Obama has to say.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2008, 09:00:38 PM »
I hope Obama laughs in her face when she asks to be his VP. Can you imagine how awkward it's going to be for Hillary to stump for Obama in the fall? Campaigning for someone she said was in no way experienced enough for the job is going to be ridiculous.

Not all media sources are Clinton-biased. Slate.com and the Huffington Post are pro-Obama (Slate) or fairly balanced (HuffPost, and the Washington Post is pretty critical of Hillary. The most obviously pro-Clinton news source I can think of is either CNN or The New York Times.

Blogs hardly count.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2008, 02:09:34 AM »

Blogs hardly count.

Sure they do. Just like Fox News (and whatever the Left Wing equivalent is) , they are totally unbiased, and completely fair. They know what they are talking about.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:20:01 AM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2008, 02:43:15 AM »

Blogs hardly count.

Sure they do. Just like Fox News (and whatever the Left Wing equivalent is) , they are totally unbiased, and completely fair. They know what they are talking about.

They hardly count as what I was talking about, genius.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2008, 02:48:02 AM »
I know what you meant.  :P

I take blogs as seriously as I do the homeless lady downtown who says the government is going to take away her plastic doll.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:49:38 AM by Xero »

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2008, 05:37:40 PM »
Wow. Did anyone watch Hillary's speech? What a terrible showing. It was all soundbites, and moreover all over the place. It had no coherent themes, and she kept spouting that BS story about how she's won the popular vote (only if you don't count any of the caucus states that voted for Obama, and Michigan, where Obama wasn't on the ballot). If this was her pitch to be Obama's VP, she failed.

The saddest thing was that sob story she told about the woman in South Dakota who couldn't afford health-insurance. How can she stand there and tell that story, when she is the one who's directly responsible for that woman not having health-care. Actually made me feel ill, her standing up there and trying to tug at our heartstrings when it's her own fault.

Let's see what Obama has to say.

She couldn't have even conceeded. She holds the speech in a windowless room with no TV access, no phone signal access and McCauliff acting like she still had a chance left. If I was a Hillary supporter, in that room or not, and found out they knew what was going on when they held the rally, I'd be anti-Hillary. The fact she wouldn't conceed pissed off a ton of Democrat politicians and many of her superdelegates have flipped now. In the speech, she even told her supporters to go to her site and leave messages of how they think she should proceed now. How the fuck can you be so dumb to think she'd actually take suggestions from the public at this point, if she still had a chance?

--Dark Moose