Author Topic: Star Trek:Legacy  (Read 7722 times)

Offline Hanzou Norak

• View Profile
Star Trek:Legacy
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:30:44 AM »
finally! a Trek game worth playing! most of the GOOD trek games Ive played are on DOS. Trek games have come far enough where their starting to get good. Legacy in itself isn't great, its certainly not a classic for years to come, but its pretty damn good. i would advise you to completely disregard the shitty storyline in the Campain, but the Skirmish mode keeps on entertained for good amount of time. Ive never been able to get pissed off at any part of the gamplay. but, something that did piss me off would be the starships. they didn't even try! for example:
Federation Cookie Cutter Ships:
The Oberth (TOS Era, it didn't even look different)
Apollo Refit (Apollo Class was really just a Hermes Class, the refit was a shameless redress of the Akula class from Star Trek:Shattered Universe.)
Poseidon Class (ENT Era, it looked like a fat NX with a roll bar.)
Miranda (TOS Era, it looked HORRIBLE, they made the overall color lighter, removed the roll bar, and stuck some TOS Era Nacelles on it.)
The Akula Class (which appeared in FlashTrek - Broken Mirror, and was used in this game with the name of another ship from Star Trek: Shattered Universe.)
the only real other this of note would be the Centaur Class (the Kit Bash from DS9)

Klingon Cookie Cutter Ships:
Brel Class (TOS Era, WHAT!? the Klingon BOP existed in TOS? it doesn't even look slightly different!)
D-3 (what a shitty looking starship, if i posted a picture you would think it was a K'itinga in a blender.)
Predator (a D-7 thats wider and has a tiny head, wow.)
Death Rine (they took the main hull of the Vor'Cha class and stuck a massive head on it and a few retro parts, did i mention it was supposed to be TOS?)
K'Vort(TOS Era, [insert the Brel comment here])

Romulan Cookie Cutter Ships:
Swarm (ENT Era, a flattened TOS BOP, how crappy.)
Praetor (TMP Era, a fattened BOP, jesus they love to modify the original BOP)
SkyHawk (..... its a widened version of the Swarm, fuck sake.)
Vengeance (the Valdore type that has less wide wings and no head.)
Heavy Defender (the Valdore type flipped over with no neck and fattened.)

Heh, I'm not even going to go into the Borg Ships.

other things that that really pissed me off was the the Original Romulan Bird Of Prey was a Scout! it should have at least been a Destroyer if not a Cruiser! (note: ships are classified like this, Scout, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship.)
and why rename the Hermes Class? as if to give the invisible Apollo class an answer? wasn't the Apollo a TNG ship anyway? 

This game is very small too, theres only four races, i would have loved to see the Dominion or maybe even a few one time only Gorn, Tholian, or Freakin Xindi ships.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:23:52 AM by Hanzou Norak »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek:Legacy
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 12:04:07 PM »
I don't know what game you played, but the Star Trek Legacy I played was below garbage. Calling it mediocre would be saying something nice about it.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 03:54:26 PM »
Yeah. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. I don't think I even finished.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
The only reason I played it was to get some easy Achievements and a few Gamer Points.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »
It's ok, but has some pretty bad controls. And feels more like a melee of ships spinning round zapping each other than "strategy".

I did like how many canon ships they incorporated, although they missed the Intrepid and Wedge-shaped-thing from the Ent era.

Offline Hanzou Norak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 09:18:33 PM »
they could have added a lot more, but the controls were actualy the only thing i liked, they just suck we you get a ship with shitty turning. the repair screen and the three or so functions of the D-pad made selecting anything in the het of battle very akward. but dispite those limitations, it wasn't bad, i still play it for a bit of entertainment.

and Xero, what was so horrible about it?

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 10:19:26 PM »
they could have added a lot more, but the controls were actualy the only thing i liked, they just suck we you get a ship with shitty turning. the repair screen and the three or so functions of the D-pad made selecting anything in the het of battle very akward. but dispite those limitations, it wasn't bad, i still play it for a bit of entertainment.

Pretty much the whole game. The gameplay was god awful, the controls are horrible, the story was "meh", and the game as a whole was broken.

It's as bad as Hour of Victory, a game that was the definition of "Horrible".

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »

I never played it, but I heard that the controls for the Xbox were pretty good.  It's the PC port that was terrible.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 08:06:21 AM »
The Xbox version was alright. The controls were decent, but nothing spectacular. It wasn't great, but it wasn't the clusterfuck that the PC version was. Still, it was by no stretch of the imagination good, and I traded it in as soon as I finished campaign.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Hanzou Norak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 12:09:28 AM »
eh, the campain mode is something i wont go back to, but it works well for a time killer to go aroung mindlessly destroying other ships. i suppose im easily entertained.

Offline Wesson

• View Profile
    • Not Tolkien
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 05:46:15 PM »
The problem with Legacy's controls is that the game runs on the Armada engine. Hence, the way the ships move is not changed. Take a look at ship movements in A2 then in Legacy.

My greivances are:

-Controls
-Plotline crams too much into itself, like some kind of freakish Cross-Universe Marvel Event Comic.
-No ship customization as promised
"The word "impossible" is not in my dictionary. In fact, everything between "herring" and "marmalade" appears to be missing."

Offline Hanzou Norak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:26:18 AM »
anyone who complains about the PC version proly hasn't heard of the Ultimate Universe mod, btw heres the link: http://www.ultimateuniversemod.net/download.php?view.9
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:29:12 AM by Hanzou Norak »

Offline JUdge King

• USAF Phoenix CO
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 04:13:34 AM »
anyone who complains about the PC version proly hasn't heard of the Ultimate Universe mod, btw heres the link: http://www.ultimateuniversemod.net/download.php?view.9

I use Ultimate Universe for Legacy. It's great for legacy and I like the reworking of the Yorktown-class that they did.
Battle Group Epsilon
-USS Sovereign NX-73811 (Sovereign-class)
-USS Apollo NCC-75320 (Prometheus-class)
-USS Horizon NCC-75668 (Defiant-class)
-USS Odyssey NCC-74626 (Intrepid-class)
-USS Dauntless NCC-71879 (Galaxy-class)
-USS Avenger NCC-74989 (Defiant-class)
-USS Independence NCC-41452 (Ambassador-class)
-USS Endeavour NCC-71805 (Nebula-class)
-USS Asgard NCC-75680 (Galaxy-class)
-USS Amargosa NCC-71885 (Galaxy-class)