Author Topic: BSG 4x10 "Sine qua non" - Discussion ($$$Spoilers$$$)  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
BSG 4x10 "Sine qua non" - Discussion ($$$Spoilers$$$)
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:34:44 AM »
lol America we beat you to it

Anyway I thought this ep was pretty awesome. Felt like a lot happened, carrying on the momentum from last week. Roundup!

-Tigh's regular sessions of Crazy with Caprica have ended up with her pregnant
-Adama goes all find-Laura obsesesive, Tigh and Adama fight, Adama breaks his model ship
-Adama snaps out of it and goes off in a Raptor leaving Tigh in charge
-Zarek should act as president now, but Adama isn't having it. So Lee and Romo go off to choose an acting president, and decide on... Lee. But not before Romo flips out whilst carrying a dead cat in his bag.

It's kind of funny that this ep felt so weighty, when Laura and Baltar aren't even in it and Starbuck has about 4 lines.

Some really well done expressions of Angry from EJO and Michael Hogan, it was almost heartbreaking when they started throwing punches.

Oh, also I believe we've now had our first direct reference to artificial gravity.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
Re: BSG 4x10 "Sine qua non" - Discussion ($$$Spoilers$$$)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:14:05 AM »
Wasn't sure I should start one the other day but anyhoo, yeah this episode was  good follow up to last weeks, but it did seem "odd" with many of the major characters not in it.

The Basestar is missing, and Galactica finds another massive Basestar graveyard with dead Vipers and "debris consistent with resurrection technology".  Looks like they completed the mission and took out the hub, or just the Cylon fleets resurrection ship.  Either way Cylons took a beating and the Presidents ship jumped somewhere new.

"Do you have any idea how many times I've had to fix this thing?" lol Adama and Tigh's fight was disturbingly convincing.  But their still friends.

Reference to a Raptor's internal gravity systems, a great shot of Galactica banking to port before jumping away, jumping back in damn close to the fleet but perfectly on station, so the Colonial jump drives can be amazingly accurate over certain distances.

Romo going seriously off the deep end and pulling a gun on Lee, I don't know if it was an act to persuade Lee into the presidency (in keeping with his assertion Lee never took a position unless forced into it, even if it was one he wanted) or if he really did go insane.  We see the dog from New Caprica again.  Their "little hero of the resistance" lol.

The last shot of Adama in the Raptor was cool, wonder how long hes going to be out there.  And Tigh in command of Galactica, yeah that'll end well.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »
This was a good episode.

I must have missed the reference to the artifical gravity.  :-\

Romo: "If there's anything I hate more than cats, it's dogs."
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28:16 PM »
A great episode indeed. And yes it was amazingly awesome for a good chunk of the main characters not to be present. I was hoping to see some scenes on the basestar but it works out better that there weren't. I really enjoyed how you knew Lee was going to end up president, but they didn't make it out to be some huge "twist" at the end.

The fight between Adama and Tigh was good and all, but i couldn't help but laugh a little at seeing two old men fighting. Then you had Adama talking about how many times he had to fix that ship, which was a good way to end the fight and "make nice". I was shocked when Adama gave up command, but glad that he realized that he was going a bit overboard and couldn't endanger his ship and crew. And I think Tigh will do okay because as Adama said, he's not the man he used to be. I liked how he gave that "you have no idea" look when Adama was talking about him learning things about himself or whatever.

I wasn't really surprised about Caprica being pregnant, it was very obvious from the previews for the episode even though they never said it. Speaking of previews, I'm kind of hoping that the one three refers to is Roslin. Idk, but i think it would be interesting. Certainly explain a lot of things.

Oh and it seems that the final five are actually going to lead the fleet to earth now that Tigh is givin command and Adama told him to do his best to lead the fleet to earth. Nice tie in with last week. Great episode, and next weeks looks like it will be even better.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »
I don't understand the cat thing. Adama said it had been dead for weeks when he saw it in the bag, but we saw it in the previous scene and I don't think any time past at all between them.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:40:22 PM »
The cat wasn't really there, Romo was just imagining it. That's why there was no food in the bowl.

Offline Setekh

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »
Oh. Well that's dumb. I thought he just didn't feed it.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 02:10:46 AM »
The cat thing confused me too. Did it never really interact with Lee? When did it die? During the trial? And it doesn't give off any odor carrying it around in a travel bag? How did Lee know it was dead for weeks if a few scenes prior he talks about how Lampkin doesn't feed the cat?

Great episode of course... but damn that cat!

Interesting development with Caprica Six getting pregnant. They're really going to have to explain that whole cylon fertility thing then, 'cause Baltar got it on with her several times without her ever reincarnating all the way to the point where she was taken prisoner bringing Hera back.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 03:46:54 AM »
It wasn't as bad in context as I thought it would be when Flagg listed off the events of the episode to me the other day, but I'm still not too sure how I feel about drama built on the back of everyone acting completely batshit insane and out of character. Oh, look, Romo's pulling a gun on Lee because he's upset about his dead cat (they went all 'Sixth Sense' with a cat; seriously?) and wants humanity to die! DRAMA. It just comes off as cheap parlor tricks to me rather than well-developed plot based on good characterization.

By the way, I'd like to thank SciFi for that preview of next week's episode that completely blows a spoiler about who the final Cylon is, unless D'Anna was lying. The commercial implies that she was saying it to Roslyn, though I noticed there was a quick edit between her saying that and Roslyn's reaction. Also, Adama was clearly aboard a Basestar in one scene, so it could be him. Either way, if D'Anna's telling the truth (a big if), it's either Adama or Roslyn as the last Cylon.

I have mixed feelings about this episode, and I still think they're really dragging things out.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 11:04:48 AM »
Anders was on the Baseship, correct? Couldn't she be talking to him?
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Da Vinci

• Dutchman in Her Majesty's lands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 11:15:11 AM »
Without a doubt the single-worst episode in a long time. So Tigh has been frakking the skinjob, so you give him command of the fleet? Lampkin convincing Adama to become president by threatening to kill him? Or for that matter, the ultimate Lee-wank, a fighterjock as president of the colonies? Looks like someone hasn't been reading their 'Politics for Dummies'. Not one thing in this episode made any kind of sense.

(Well apart from Adamas wait in the Raptor, that was nicely done)
Godwin's law rephrased: reductio ad Hitlerum

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 01:23:55 PM »
Who else would he give command to? Tigh, despite his flaws, is entirely capable of doing the right job. As Adama pointed out he has come a long way. As for Lee, really? He's shown since season one that he very well may be president material. Remeber it was Lee that forced Roslyn to obey the laws by finishing Adar's term and allowing an election. Even going so far as to give that speech on the fact that if she isn't going to follow the law then she isn't the president, adama isn't the commander, and he didn't have to answer to either of them. Lee has always been the upholder of Colonial law and justice from day one. The fact that he is military means nothing, we ourselves have had several presidents of military background...hell our first president was a former general.

So i don't entirely see how that doesn't make sense. If anything what doesn't make sense is why Adama refused to acknowledge Zarek, yet he eventually accepted Baltar as president.

I will admit though that i did not understand at all that final scene with Romo pulling the gun on Lee.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 01:59:51 PM »
Yeah, Lee becoming President was a little ridiculous, but I saw it coming as soon as he became a Quorum representative. I didn't mind Romo pulling a gun on Lee, I think it was that he was forcing the position on him, like he said earlier. Lee never does anything unless someone forced his hand.

I thought the whole thing with the cat was cool. I mean, we're okay with everyone else hallucinating, but when a B-Character does it we're pissed off? What gives?
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »
And just to throw another instance in there, Lee did pull a gun on Tigh when his father was attempting to overthrow Roslyn.