Author Topic: BSG 4x11 "The Hub" - Review and Discussion thread ($$$Spoilers$$$)  (Read 3679 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
This episode was pretty good.  Some good action with the takedown of the hub, Vipers can carry nukes too.  Baltar admitted giving the codes to Caprica Six to Roslin and she almost let him bleed out from an injury but had second thoughts and saved him.  They got D'anna but she's not talking until she feels safe.  The final scene with Adama and Roslin together was touching.

Why do they have to put so much glass in those resurection things?  :P

Next episode looks like it's going to be good.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: BSG 4x11 "The Hub" - Review and Discussion thread ($$$Spoilers$$$)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
I'm glad they played D'anna with some smarts. For a moment there I was worried that Cavill was going to successfully sucker her into siding against the "pro-five" faction. Pretty good episode, though the convenience of Roslin successfully saving Baltar after all that bleeding was stretched a bit. At least his survival means that his confession won't be with a clean break.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:04:32 PM »
Yeah, well with a name like Revelations, I think the next episode should be pretty bad ass..and you know, reveal something.  Though no doubt the title refers more

As for this episode though, much goodness.  I liked the way that we were almost an outside observer to the battle itself, rather then following each character specifically through the fight.  I really liked the conversation between Baltar and the Toaster.  Only Giaus would have the audacity to try to strike up a conversation about God with a Toaster.

For a while there, I really thought Roslin was going to let Baltar die.  One thing I didn't like though, was that the explosion was a little bit of a hero moment.  What I mean by that is, that we often see the hero take much more damage then the ships around them and walk away from a fight, for no other reason then their the main character.  Here we saw the Centurion that Baltar was talking two, be blown apart by the explosion with it's limbs flying all over the place, and Baltar who was standing right next to him was simply thrown to the ground and cut across the abdomen.  Granted, he still nearly died, but if the Centurion was blown apart, then the explosion alone should have killed Baltar...if not turned him into charred ashes.

I actually got sort of teary eyed when Roslin and Adama finally reunited.

I liked that they showed where the dead Raptor pilot from previous episode was from.  That was a nice bit of continuity.

At first, I was a bit put off by the idea that they were just going to go back two days and show us what happened with everything on the baseship, but as the episode went on, I began to see that it was probably the better choice.  If they had tried to combine this episode and the one before it, into one episode or even two, then it would have felt disjointed, jumping back and forth...or worse they would have had to cut something out to make it fit.  As it is, it ended up working well the way they played it.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 01:21:38 AM »
Oh!!!  I forgot about the death scene.  That was great and not in the way I might have suspected I would have liked it, since I can't hardy stand Roslin anymore.  (some more thoughts on that in a moment)  When they showed the death scene though, I was really touched by Adama's remarks, saying that he wouldn't be selfish and she could rest now.  The strange thing is, that it didn't feel like a dream or hallucination where things can be inflated or blown out of proportion of how they might actually happen in the real world.  ANd even the visions that Laura has had feel that way too, that's there's a certain amount of 'interpretation' that has to be done in order to understand them. 

Adama's remarks though were played as if it had really happened, and aside from the fact that the rest of Galactica was deserted, it felt like those scenes were really happening.  As though it wasn't just a vision...or near death experience, but almost like Laura was seeing an actual possible future for herself.  I'm forced to wonder if that wasn't somehow a hint of things to come, the Galactica deserted, Laura finally dieing....

Ok, so in regards to my dislike of Roslin, I think that it's somewhat interesting that Roslin and Baltar have sort of switched places now, at least for me, in terms of which I like better.  Now it seems as though Roslin is the one acting crazy, though for different reasons then why Baltar was acting crazy early on.  Roslin has become power hungry almost in her obsession with protecting the fleet and finding Earth and is acting well outside of her range of normal behavior.  If she weren't dieing, I don't think she would be behaving like that, and I can see what their playing at, with having her go that route.

She knows she's going to die, so she's lost whatever it was...her moral and/or ethical tether to reality that kept her in check much of her first term as president.  Now, she's acting, dare I say reckless because she knows there's no consequences for her.  She's going to die, what more can the do to her, if Adama were to decide she's gone off the deep end and take her out.  She displayed this new found recklessness best, when she point blank tried to kill Starbuck.  Sure there was the pretty solid suspicion at the time that Starbuck was a Cylon, but had Roslin killed her, can you imagine what Lee or Adama would have done?  Airlock time.

Then we have Baltar, with his new found faith in the one true God, which I don't beleive is a sham.  I think it's an honest attempt to atone for the guilt he feels towards the things he has done.  Despite everything he has done, we've seen him on several occasions try to kill himself or have others kill him because he knows he's a bad person, guilt of perhaps the greatest crime ever committed; to which he confessed to in this episode.  So it will be interesting to see what happens between Baltar and Roslin in the next episode and if she tells anyone.

I also find it interesting, that since Baltar has found God, that we've seen almost nothing of Head-Six.  This leads me to beleive that all along, Head Six was the result of some sort of mental break due to the guilt from the realization that he was responsible for the death of so many people.  If we're to beleive what he Told Roslin in this episode, that he has found some way to relieve that guilt, and actually believes that he has found forgiveness, then we might actually be seeing him getting better.  In which case Head-Six might simply fade away.

It does seem though, that Baltar is becoming the more rational character and that Roslin is becoming more quick to act, and quick to take no chances if anyone threatens the safety of the fleet.  Where Baltar was once only concerned with self preservation, we're now seeing Roslin behave in a very similar way.  Even though her efforts are focused on the preservation of the fleet, they're still as strongly motivated from bad choices as Baltars ever were.  She's just been incredibly lucky so far that she hasn't done anything that is just so far over the line that, anyone has stood up to challenge her.

What I'm going to be interested to see, is if Lee will step down from the presidency so quickly when she returns.  If she goes about making the same kind of decisions without consulting the Quarum of 12, then I think it's entirely possible that he might not be willing to give it up.  There's event the chance that Zarek will push to have Roslin declared unfit; which I'm actually surprised hasn't come up already.  More then an armed conflict, I could see that happening quite easily.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.