Author Topic: BSG 4x12 "Revelations" - Review and Discussion thread ($$$Spoilers$$$)  (Read 22891 times)

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
Holy Shit. What a fucking good episode. More later, as I collect my thoughts.

BTW, it was totally Manhattan at the end. The bridge was almost certainly the Brooklyn Bridge, and my brother apparently saw a stump of the Statue of Liberty.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
I called it.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Holy frak!  That was good.  I almost cried when they were about to jump to Earth.

The final Cylon isn't in the fleet apparently.  Maybe a survivor from Earth they'll find floating some where or perhaps Caprica Six and Saul's kid?  Wonder what's gonna happen next...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
That was FUCKING AWESOME! Man that really could have been a series finale if it had to be. A tear literally rolled down my face there at the end. Everything in this episode went together beautifully, everything from the music to adama's breakdown (he drooled on Lee's hand for pete sake). And the pay off at the end was amazing...

They finally make it to Earth, finally. I started to go crazy when they did the shot of the fleet over earth. But I knew, just knew it was not going to end on a happy note. And i was not surprised at all when that radiation detector came into view. The reactions on their faces as they looked on was amazing. And I figured it was the Big Apple they were looking at. I only wish there had been a faint statue of liberty head on the ground somewhere in the distance ala planet of the apes.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
As soon as I saw the Geiger counter (or whatever the Colonials have) I knew.  The wreckage sealed the deal, before I even saw the set of "I Am Legend".

IMO it's the best way they could have found Earth. I mean, honestly, how lame would it have been if they had jumped into orbit right in the path of the Space Shuttle, or be greeted by a bunch of Earth built Battlestars?

I loved the shot of all the major and minor characters after Adama's speech. Awesome.

My one complaint would be how quickly D'Anna took over the Cylons. Wouldn't Leoben or the Athena-wannabe have something to say about that? Like "Hey, who made you our leader?" You got a taste of it when Leoben (I assume it was him) tried to get either Roslin or Baltar to talk to her, but I wish they had shown more. Still, minor complaint
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
My one complaint would be...

Yeah, that was Leoben.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
That would be because she had seen the Final 5 and was therefore the one holding all the cards.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
I know, I just felt it was a little abrupt. I would have liked to see have seen how she had gotten there. Then again, it didn't hurt the episode, and I don't think they would have had the time.
~~~~~~~~

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Wow, simply awesome!

You know, I thought for a second that Diana could have turned everything around, and destroyed the colonial fleet after jumping to Earth. But she didn't do that.

It was quite different that they found a nuclear battle-ravaged Earth rather than anything before, like 10,000 B.C.

Loved it overall. Is this where they split the season?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
Yep, this was the mid-season finale.  Supposedly there will be at least one TV-movie (ala "Razor") during the break between the two half seasons.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
yeah but those bastards at sci-fi are making us wait utnil 2009 to see the second half. Its what...2 maybe 3 months for new shitty stargate but probably 6 to 7 months for new battlestar.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Already at Earth by midseason and they're already talking more TV movies? How much more can they milk out of this? Not that I'm complaining about the episode. Still have the other cylons out there, the mystery of what happened to Starbuck, what happened to Earth, and the origins of the final five. I'm going to bet that by the end of the season they end up back at the Twelve Colonies because whatever nuked Earth must have some long lasting radiation effects way past what the cylons used on the colonies, so I can't see the colonials settling anywhere except their home worlds.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Good God almighty...thats all I can say right now.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

hyperqube714

holy frak!!!!!!!!

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Alright, who else said this at the end?

"You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

Dr. Zaius is the Fifth Cylon. Wait... Dr. Zaius... Dr. Gaius... MY GOD.

In the preview for the next episode (next year; bastards!) Col. Tigh is clearly pointing a gun at Adama's head. Later Tigh says "You're the fifth" but he could have been talking to someone else because they didn't show who he was talking to.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:08:13 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
Ok guyz the thread has "Spoilers" in the title so you can knock it off with the tiny text.

And, yeah, that was all awesome. Some great work from EJO again showing us Adama's breakdown. Earth in ruins was the result I'd thought most likely.

A nice little bit of continuity - I'm pretty sure that was Laird (the former Pegasus chief) we saw in charge of the hangar deck.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Y'know, I can't help but wonder if the International Space Station (assuming they created THIS Earth as the one we live in today, basically, except having gone through a nuclear war), exists, or is orbiting Earth on the other side of the planet, or if it was destroyed.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Its orbit would have decayed and it would have crashed long ago.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:28:33 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline bmitchell64

• View Profile
So... they reach Earth and find it has suffered a nuclear holocaust (charbroiled city) and their are no immediate signs of life on the planet.  My question would be, did we do it to ourselves and how long has passed since the planetary disaster?  Another question, did the Human-Cylon team just land in the wrong place?  If we had a nuclear war and then rebuilt, then we would have to start over.  The cities destroyed by the nuclear weapons would be unrecoverable for several hundred years (think Buck Roger's Earth).   ???

Maybe the final 12 hours of the series will introduce the 13th tribe as something quite different from the Humans and the Cylons.  My imagination would have the "Final Five" as being emissaries from the 13th tribe and their purpose was to help end the fight between the Humans and Cylons; but like all good intentions, things did not go right and the Five were not able to introduce themselves, in time,  as being a melding of the Humans and Cylons.  In fact, it would be interesting if the Five are actually members of the 13th tribe and they are the origin of the Human and Cylon races.  Just my imagination going wild, and I am sure the BSG writers will bring the series to an exciting end...  ;D

in 2009 (frak)  :'(

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
I think the Colonials and Cylons would be able to scan for any sort of cities. Hell, all they have to do is cruise over to the night-side of Earth, and they can see for themselves.

There's still the possibility of it not being Earth. They were careful not to show any distinct views of the continents, so for all we know it could be a completely different planet. Though, if it is our Earth (some time into the future), why didn't they have an epic shot of the fleet over Africa, or something?
~~~~~~~~

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
There's still the possibility of it not being Earth. They were careful not to show any distinct views of the continents, so for all we know it could be a completely different planet. Though, if it is our Earth (some time into the future), why didn't they have an epic shot of the fleet over Africa, or something?

I was wondering that myself as I noticed that they seemed to be going out of there way not to show any land formations.  Also You would think they would wonder why they hadn't come across any Earth ships or something Its more likely that what we're seeing is really Earth though. 

Its orbit would have decayed and it would have crashed long ago.

Now what about satellites?

“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
See that's what i kept thinking...i was literally yelling "SHOW ME A CONTINENT DAMMIT!" the entire time. Because i knew the episode would not end on a happy note, and i figured it would be the "this aint earth, but they don't know that". However, i think they might have deliberately not shown continents to make you think that maybe it isn't earth only to show you at the very end that it is in fact earth. There's a flippin cross laying on the ground (interesting how they seem to be in the ruins of a church) and you can definitely make out what bridge that is supposed to be.

We don't know if they have the ability to detect cities from orbit. And for all we know if there are any survivors they may not be living in cities yet depending on how long ago this disaster occured. Going even further they may not even have electricity, so the idea of looking on the darkside wouldn't work.

And Mitchell, i think the idea is that the final five are in fact from the 13th tribe somehow. I'm pretty sure that's what the hybrid said but i don't remember exactly.

EDIT: then again i just now thought about this. They may be doing a parallel with a story from the original series where they find a planet that we are led to believe is earth but it ends up that it is not. In those episode the planet is almost annihilated by a nuclear war that is stopped by the galactica. And they had been led there by the ship-o-lights. So who knows, maybe it isn't earth and the real earth will be found in the final episode. But really i hope that it is earth, I'd like to see what happens when they find it and all. Unlike Voyager which decided to end with them finding earth which ended up being sucky much like the rest of the series.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:16:01 PM by Alexzandyr »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
^^^I've seen some vidcaps of the ruined city and I doubt that what we were seeing was New York.  This may be nuBSGs "Terra".

Offline Ozzymandeus

• View Profile
you know, ive missed from about mid season three, and picked up 3 episodes ago, and understand that there is a little i am missing, but hell it seems as thought the episodes are being busted down into smaller and smaller arcs, first season we have mostly one episode arks, but its just the start, so its expected, but the 2nd season gave you lasting effects, now i miss almost a whole seasons worth and pick up with little to leave answered, kinda makes me feel sad  :'(

The episode was kind of anti-climactic if you think about it

fuck- crisis
yay- dude, weer there
fuck- THIS is IT
end scene
You are the Smartass! In fact, you could very well be the anti-Christ, as you are almost the exact opposite of everything Jesus was supposed to be. While Jesus says love your enemy, you say love beating the crap out of your enemy. While Jesus raises the dead, you raise hell. While Jesus walks on water, you tend to sink. You probably consider people who are emotional and gentle to be big pussies who are obviously in lesser stature than you. You have many flaws, despite your seeming intelligence and cool-headedness. For instance, you aren't very nice. In fact, you're probably an asshole.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
In the preview for the next episode (next year; bastards!) Col. Tigh is clearly pointing a gun at Adama's head. Later Tigh says "You're the fifth" but he could have been talking to someone else because they didn't show who he was talking to.

Never mind. I posted that after only seeing the Planet of the Apes ending of the episode. I hadn't seen the part where D'anna said the Fifth Cylon was not in the fleet.