Author Topic: BSG 4x12 "Revelations" - Review and Discussion thread ($$$Spoilers$$$)  (Read 22890 times)

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
- I really hate how they've made Tory into such an unrepentant bitch and traitor. She's suddenly more of a hardliner than even most of the rebel Cylons? What's with that shit?

I actually quite like Bitch Tory. The Four have all reacted differently to discovering their true nature - Tory has decided to shed all guilt and enjoy her cylon-ness. She's probably trying to cast aside empathy for humans, in her eagerness to jump at being a superior being, feel new things etc. I think she's also soaked up some of Baltar's "you're pefect" religious babble (as opposed to Tyrol who came along to a Baltar Prayer Meeting then changed his mind).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:13:46 AM by Stoo »

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Yeah, but there's enjoying being a Cylon and then there's completely abandoning everything you are and what you stood for. Tigh and Tyrol explored their new Cylonness, and Blanders is well, bland as usual, but they still retained most of their core beliefs and who they are. Tory just comes off as having multiple personality disorder and grudges against people she shouldn't.

It says something when Sharon, Six, and Leoben are more "Human" than she is now. I would have just preferred if she had acted as sort of a bridge between the Cylons and Humans rather than completely abandoning one side of her heritage.

For that matter, I miss the mystical, respected Leoben. He's coming off as more of the Cylon's bitch now rather than someone they turned to for guidance and spiritual introspection. D'anna should be consulting and interacting with him as the only other Cylon with a connection to the divine. Instead she dismisses him completely.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:55:44 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
That was fucking amazing, just amazing, and now we have to wait how many months for more?

But the entire cruise to Earth, Galactica and the fleet bathed in the Suns light was beautiful.  from every board I've been to looks like there weren't many dry eyes in the house.

I really did expect Adama to deck Tigh, or at least smash the ship again, or Lee to space the Cylons.  I'll admit Lee's "It doesn't have to happen again" line is a nice touch from all the "This has all happened before" thats been thrown about since season 1 but leaves we thinking "Matrix Reloaded", better not be going down that route.

D'Anna is still a great villain, its a pity we didn't get more of her going up against Cavil but anyhoo.  The fifth Cylon not in the fleet? that leaves the Cylon fleet and Earth...or D'Anna was being very specific about where everyone was when she stated that.

Earth itself, irradiated soil, wind table still disturbed, thunderstorms and darkened skies, cities crumbled but the ruins still standing and not yet covered in vegetation or decayed completely.  We're only talked centuries and not thousands of years.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
D'Anna is still a great villain, its a pity we didn't get more of her going up against Cavil but anyhoo.  The fifth Cylon not in the fleet? that leaves the Cylon fleet and Earth...or D'Anna was being very specific about where everyone was when she stated that.

If she really did know who the 5th was, for her to imply the 5th wasn't in the fleet means that she's seen the 5th somewhere else. I've wondered before if the Eights were the 5th sent to infiltrate the Cylons, but now I'm wondering if it's just Boomer (especially after voting against her model). But then Boomer shooting Adama wouldn't make as much sense. If it had been someone she didn't recognize, she would have no way to be sure that the 5th wasn't among the fleet.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:02:30 PM by mark »
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
For that matter, I miss the mystical, respected Leoben. He's coming off as more of the Cylon's bitch now rather than someone they turned to for guidance and spiritual introspection. D'anna should be consulting and interacting with him as the only other Cylon with a connection to the divine. Instead she dismisses him completely.

I totally agree. Leoben used to be my favorite character, but recently he's just been so pussified. The only significant thing he did the past few episodes was to tell Roslin and Baltar that "Hey, D'Anna is gonna start killing more people. Should someone talk to her?" I expected him to stare her down right next to Baltar, but he just stood around like a moron.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Here's a panoramic shot of the end of Revelations.

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
Yeah, but there's enjoying being a Cylon and then there's completely abandoning everything you are and what you stood for. Tigh and Tyrol explored their new Cylonness, and Blanders is well, bland as usual, but they still retained most of their core beliefs and who they are. Tory just comes off as having multiple personality disorder and grudges against people she shouldn't.

Well Tigh's off being crazy in the Brig with Caprica. Tyrol seems to be reacting the worst, altho it's hard to tell given Cally's death on top of it. Blanders is bland, agreed, he's never really done much except provide a complication for the Lee\Kara relationship. And provide eye candy i guess.

I guess i just don't have a problem with one of the four happily casting off their humanity. Tory always seemed a bit cold to me anyway, so she's a good candidate.

As for Leoben, he's had a spiritual side. But he also locked Kara away in a creepy parody of domesticity. Also was that Leoben speaking in her head when she disappeared into the maelstrom? Or an imaginary idealised leoben? (the other imaginary characters tend to be idealised versions). In any case tho, I agree i'd have liked to see him resist Deanna more.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Also was that Leoben speaking in her head when she disappeared into the maelstrom? Or an imaginary idealised leoben? (the other imaginary characters tend to be idealised versions).

I don't even remember that. I'll have to go back and rewatch that scene.

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
It was "Someone else", that just took the shape of Leoben to help her do what she had to (i.e. crash her ship). He explicitly said he wasn't Leoben.
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."

Offline Stoo

• Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
Secret Number 5 pretending to be Leoben, maybe?

Offline The Daft Punk

• View Profile
That's my guess.
~~~~~~~~

Offline USS Mariner

• Absolutley Right™
    • View Profile
Bond, that theory is very interesting (though if that's true, M. Night Shyamalan is going to want his "Guide to Storytelling" back,) but couldn't the differences also be a result of tides, erosion, or perhaps even nuclear war?

The only problem I have with this is the idea that it may simply be an accident, due to a rushed VFX schedule. Like BSG says often, this has happened before. Remember what happened with Kara's Viper in Crossroads and He That Believeth In Me?

In Crossroads, the model had no ID markings, or any markings other than the stripe of paint and the Viper Squadron patch.

In "Believeth", it's changed to a freshly-painted viper, ID markings and all.

Either they screwed up with the textures or they changed their minds about how it should look (the one without markings suggesting one built by foreign hands more readily than a carbon copy.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:17:40 PM by USS Mariner »
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan Noonien Singh
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Offline Charles

• Loves Lucy
    • View Profile
    • The Caveman's Corner
BTW, it was totally Manhattan at the end. The bridge was almost certainly the Brooklyn Bridge, and my brother apparently saw a stump of the Statue of Liberty.

I was looking for it, but I didn't think go for quite so obvious a Planet of the Apes schtick.
The only good cat is a Schrödinger's Cat.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Bond, that theory is very interesting (though if that's true, M. Night Shyamalan is going to want his "Guide to Storytelling" back,) but couldn't the differences also be a result of tides, erosion, or perhaps even nuclear war?

The only problem I have with this is the idea that it may simply be an accident, due to a rushed VFX schedule.

That's certainly possible, but it seems to me that they put too much effort into concealing recognizable features. It was already identified as "Earth" by the characters at that point, so why the obfuscation regarding its appearance when there was no surprise left to reveal to the audience? It's not like destroyed cities would be readily apparent to the audience from a simple space shot of an entire continent, and obviously enough plant life continued to thrive to provide the planet with a breathable atmosphere, so it shouldn't outwardly look too different.

They had already shown a perfectly clear and easily recognizable Earth before in 'Crossroads,' even the right continent to show an approach to New York. If it was a rush job or a budget issue, they could have reused that initial shot for the fleet arrival conceivably.

I think the clincher for me though is Eick's comment about them reaching "a place which we are going to call Earth." Why the odd phrasing if they're going to reach the real Earth? It comes off as him not wanting to deliberately deceive the fans, even for the purpose of hiding a major spoiler, so he made his comments as close to both explanations as possible.

Plus, the whole 13th Colony leaving Kobol and settling on "Earth" actually works as a storytelling device without any pseudo-Mormonism explanation if they never actually settled on the real Earth. Then that leaves the real Earth open as the origin of mankind and it was simply lost to the Colonials in antiquity either through time or deliberate concealment (from early Cylons?) before or after they restarted their society on Kobol.