Author Topic: Least Favorite Battlestar Galactice Episode  (Read 10459 times)

Offline Charles

• Loves Lucy
    • View Profile
    • The Caveman's Corner
Least Favorite Battlestar Galactice Episode
« on: June 29, 2008, 08:14:21 PM »
I find this to be an interesting question because it's pretty hard, for two reasons. First, Battlestar Galactica is such a consistently good show, and second because it flows together so much that I have trouble in my memory picking out distinct episodes. This little thing wasn't great or that little thing wasn't great, but its rarely a whole episode. But I can say Razor, if that counts, didn't work for me at all.  I think they approached that entirely incorrectly. In the regular season, maybe Downloaded. It was an interesting idea, but perhaps because they weren't quite sure where they were going with the Cylons, it felt odd.

Your opinions? I don't know, maybe this isn't as hard for anyone else as it is for me.
The only good cat is a Schrödinger's Cat.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Least Favorite Battlestar Galactice Episode
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:32:32 PM »
"Black Market" stands out as particularly awful. Perhaps on paper it was more interesting (hey! there's a black market in the fleet!), but it downright sucked on screen.
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:56:25 AM »
Ironically "Black Market" is the only one I haven't seen.

But picking a least favorite is easy: "Unfinished Business" (the boxing episode). I've rarely seen such a celebration of physical violence on TV.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:03:52 AM »
Black Market.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:24:03 PM »
Ironically "Black Market" is the only one I haven't seen.

But picking a least favorite is easy: "Unfinished Business" (the boxing episode). I've rarely seen such a celebration of physical violence on TV.

You watch very little TV.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:10:45 PM »
"Unfinished Business" though "Black market" come real close.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 05:32:53 PM »
Maybe Black Market because it was out of left field and the ideas it established were never revisited.

Second would be the episodes that dealt with the virus that was killing Cylons, much for the same reason I didn't Black Market.  It was an idea that they thought was going to be something important, but never amounted to anything. They should have figured out earlier on that, that particular story line wasn't going to be revisited.  It made it just seem like filler and a waste of time.  You can pretty much skip those episodes and not really miss out on anything.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 06:34:53 PM »
The virus episodes were pretty bad. Those, Black Market, and Scar are all pretty bad in my book.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 02:11:16 AM »
The virus just plain didn't make sense, which damaged enjoyment of those eps

Wasn't keen on A Day in the Life, which felt like two leftover bits of plot put together to make a filler ep.

Lots of hate for black market - I agree with Jimi on that one. Lee left a pregnant women behind? Is chasing surrogate family fantasies? Yet we never heard of this before and never would again. A lesser issue, but still one that bugged me a little, is that the black marketeers were made too obviously eeeevil with the child-trading.

Didn't mind Unfinished Business, liked how it gave us some insights into characters heads. I think Adama decided he'd gone too soft and blamed Tyrol for starting him down that path by requesting to leave the crew. Maybe people were put off by the Lee\Kara drama? Maybe I'm just getting more tolerant of that stuff in my old age.  :P But not every ep has to involve spaceships or shooting.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 02:59:44 AM »
Finally, someone else that likes Unfinished Business.  I think that episode is great, made even more so because of the extended edition.  I liked the boxing elements and how they were used to inner cut the flash backs to New Caprica.  It was a good way to cover material that needed to be covered so that the character development could start to move forward and past that point. 

And all kidding aside, I liked that there was no ship battles.  It was all character development and drama....for most of the cast.  And that impresses me.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline mark

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 03:31:40 AM »
Actually, seeing Tyrol blow up in front of Adama this season specifically reminded me of their boxing match from Unfinished Business. Maybe that's because they hardly ever interact as characters and that was the exception, but it set the groundwork enough that Tyrol telling off Adama was all the more believable for it, not to mention that both scenes were about Tyrol wanting to leave his job (and both times because of Cally). But instead of losing his job due to Adama's "softness," in season 4 he threw it away by coming at Adama from the opposite direction.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:33:20 AM by mark »
"Even if a hundred percent of the people polled like f%#&ing Hobbit movies, they still suck." --Penn Jillette

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »
My main issue with 'Black Market' (and many other episodes) besides the many already raised, is that it takes such a dim view on humanity in general.

They're on the verge of extinction, and a rather large child sex ring is allowed to operate with full knowledge of a not insignificant portion of the fleet's populace? The discovery of a child sex ring of that size in a modern city of 38,000 would be a huge and unprecedented event, yet it seems almost trivial in post-apocalyptic Colonial society where you would think at least some of the criminals would look at the bigger picture and say "hey, maybe we shouldn't be screwing the life out of the future of humankind here." How fucked up are these people? Maybe they do deserve to be wiped out. And apparently should humanity be almost completely killed off in a nuclear attack, child rapists will survive in greater than average numbers. Huzzah!

That trend continues with the horrible episode where Bruce Davison is killing off all the Sagittarans, which narrowly missed out on getting a tie vote by the fact that I can't even remember what it's called because I'm trying to block it from memory.

I love the show, but it paints such a consistently scummy, depressing, and irredeemable portrait of most of humanity (substituted in this case by Colonial society) that it makes it really hard to love sometimes. You would think (and I would hope) that near extinction would cause a paradigm shift in human behavior that would eliminate most of that pettiness, bigotry, criminality, warlike nature, etc. not amplify it beyond all reason. It's definitely the anti-Trek in more ways than one, it's depiction of post-nuclear war humans being a primary example.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 05:04:41 PM »
It probably says a lot when you feel more sympathetic to Balter, who would otherwise be the worst of humanity - a coward, a weakling, and an opportunist who only looks out for himself - than most every other character on the show.  I used to feel sorry for Tyrol too, but then they made him spazz out and ruin himself after Cally spazzed out and killed herself.  Kind of the same thing with Lee in that I was liking his character until he decided he was going to space three people who he knew had always been there for humanity after Tigh fessed up to them being Cylons.  Not so much just because of that, but because this is after he said that it wouldn't change how he felt about Zach if it had turned out that he was a Cylon all along, just like he basically said it didn't matter to him if Kara was a Cylon or not.  So he went from that to blindly wanting to space three people he'd known for a long time.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 05:58:46 PM »
Lol, i thought it was very obvious that Lee wasn't spacing them because they were cylons and he wanted to kill them but rather because he and tigh both knew it was the only way to get their people back. That's why Tigh revealed who he was and TOLD Lee to do it. Lee even hesitated and Tigh had to again tell him to do it.

From the commercials it seemed that they were being spaced simply because they were cylons, but the actually events show it being done out of necessity.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 06:49:29 PM »
Yeah, and in the case of Tigh, it wasn't so much that Lee wanted to space him for being a Cylon, as much as it was the state Adama had been left in by Tigh's confession to the fact.  I loved seeing Lee just march into the launch tube and lay one across Tigh's jaw.  When I saw Lee hit him, I was like, "Oh yeah, you had that coming."

Offline Charles

• Loves Lucy
    • View Profile
    • The Caveman's Corner
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 08:55:53 PM »
I actually though Black Market was interesting. Maybe that's just the anthropologist in me, but I like seeing more of the fleet. And I thought Unfinished Business was a masterpiece when I first saw it. The way the fight frames the larger character drama... it just all works so well.

Offline Charles

• Loves Lucy
    • View Profile
    • The Caveman's Corner
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »
I love the show, but it paints such a consistently scummy, depressing, and irredeemable portrait of most of humanity (substituted in this case by Colonial society) that it makes it really hard to love sometimes. You would think (and I would hope) that near extinction would cause a paradigm shift in human behavior that would eliminate most of that pettiness, bigotry, criminality, warlike nature, etc. not amplify it beyond all reason. It's definitely the anti-Trek in more ways than one, it's depiction of post-nuclear war humans being a primary example.

Don't you think in that situation many people would retreat into their weaknesses, their deepest fears and prejudices, all of that? I'd wager that a lot of the clients of the black market weren't raping children back in the Colonies, and almost certainly Davidson wasn't mass murdering Sagitarrans. There would be a nihilism that would follow from the realization that there's pretty much nothing left down the line. The crew of the Galactica may have their hope and trust in their commander, but what does Joe Caprican in the fleet have?

Ah, your BBS doesn't merge sequential posts. Sorry.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »
I thought the boxing thing came out of nowhere and disappeared just as quickly.  Kind of had "contrived" written all over it.  Suddenly everyone's into boxing and the president is some kind of expert from a relative?  Oh man...

Offline Charles

• Loves Lucy
    • View Profile
    • The Caveman's Corner
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 06:34:01 AM »
I thought the boxing thing came out of nowhere and disappeared just as quickly.  Kind of had "contrived" written all over it.  Suddenly everyone's into boxing and the president is some kind of expert from a relative?  Oh man...

You see Kara and Helo practicing on a punching bag a few times in the series. There aren't any other matches but what do you expect? They're sort of busy running for the survival of the human race, here.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 09:23:56 AM »
I had it down more as a once a year tradition, than trying to pretend everyone's a hardcore boxing enthusiast.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »
Well we already knew from the first season that Lee and Adama would fight each other or whatever.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 05:44:38 PM »
Yeah, but it was hardly the kind of daily matches in which every major and supporting character was getting in the ring and duking it out, with the president giving advice ringside.  The previous examples were limited, and they were only working out.

Offline Charles

• Loves Lucy
    • View Profile
    • The Caveman's Corner
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »
Yeah, but it was hardly the kind of daily matches in which every major and supporting character was getting in the ring and duking it out, with the president giving advice ringside.  The previous examples were limited, and they were only working out.

They demonstrate enough of a pattern so that Unfinished Business wasn't really implausible, I would say.