Author Topic: Subspace Comms Network 1998-2008  (Read 28240 times)

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Subspace Comms Network 1998-2008
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
Or least least, think it's 1998.

To quote Rod Steward's Faith Of The Heart. *sing song*" Its been a long road. Getting from there to here."

Since SCN inception, what you have gained and learned from this place. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:33:22 PM by White Wolf »
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: Subspace Comms Network 1998-2008
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:47:09 PM »
That Bond is truely a Google-Fu Master.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »
It sucks. :p

Nah seriously, it's been a great 5+ years since I joined. :)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
Oh cripes I forgot that the 10th marked my 6 year anniversay here at SCN.  I learned that Ive outlasted many a mod here....boooya!!!
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
SCN history (especially for White Wolf  ;D)
3 April 2000: Subspace Comms Network founded at ezboard
12 May 2002: Move to Infopop
29 September 2006: Move to nov-net.com

Offline Kestra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »
I've met some of the best people I'll probably ever know.

I've also learned what hentai is.  And all sorts of other things I never needed to know about.  ;D
... dancing in the night in the middle of June ...

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:17:03 PM »
Yeah, SCN has introduced to a ripe cornucopia of shit I really didn't want to know. I've met lots of interesting people, learned about Razor's dungeon, learned about and watched movies I might not have otherwise. And yeah, I'll have to look back to see when I first joined SCN as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure Bond doesn't sleep either.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 05:31:38 PM by Data007 »
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »
Im fairly certain that Bond isn't really a man per-sei.  But an entity that has existed from the beginning of the internet to pass along knowledge to helpless nubes like us.

Cant say Ive learned as much as some of you guys.  Just that im not alone in some of my more geeky exploits.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
SCN history (especially for White Wolf  ;D)
3 April 2000: Subspace Comms Network founded at ezboard
12 May 2002: Move to Infopop
29 September 2006: Move to nov-net.com

2000,eh? I was close. ;)
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 07:36:30 PM »
Learned I don't know nearly as much about trek as I thought I did. Also noticed that I'm one of the few people that actually liked Voyager and Enterprise.

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:16:36 AM »
Whenever moments like this come up, when we celebrate what a jolly fine place this is, I always share this old topic, and now I've uploaded it in its entirely for you to enjoy how SCN used to look like, and what folk used to dwell there--it's odd how many of those old regulars don't show up anymore, but ah well I assume they did manage to get a life ;)

SCN, a haven of diversity (or oddity)

I suppose I should save more of this stuff. 
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »
Who here remembers the classic "Where Shuttlecraft come from" discussion in the old chat a couple years ago? 20 minutes of "When the Enterprise 'docks' with the Defiant..."
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 09:22:17 AM »
I've learned that WW fails spectacularly at basic math.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »
Very bad at math  :P
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 09:32:03 AM »
I've met some of the best people I'll probably ever know a disturbingly fascinating array of deviants and perverts

fixed!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:34:13 AM by Stoo »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 09:33:38 AM »
I'm not a deviant, nor a pervert. Now I'm off to watch Hentai, while downloading "Pregnant Teens Orgy " volumes 12-34.

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 09:40:51 AM »
"Ladies and gentlemen, behold:  Xero,  more disturbing with each new post!"
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 10:24:18 AM »
I've learned that WW fails spectacularly at basic math.

I've learned Flagg fails spectacularly when things are uncalled for, but oh well, No one is perfect.

Offline Pleiades

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:28:13 AM »
Who here remembers the classic "Where Shuttlecraft come from" discussion in the old chat a couple years ago? 20 minutes of "When the Enterprise 'docks' with the Defiant..."

Was that the one involving Hobbes and Kestra? That was hysterical.
''To them, you're just a freak, like me... They need you right now, but when they don't, they'll cast you out. Like a leper. See, thier morals, thier code; it's a bad joke...''

''Do I really look like a guy with a plan...?''

---Joker---

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 05:16:11 PM »

Dont forget Bernd's coffee!

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Patria Domus: Hub to my Many Websites
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 06:43:56 AM »
How could anyone forget Bernd's coffee...some are still in rehab and think they're ducks now they can no longer get their fix!! :P

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 09:02:21 AM »
Oh,yes. We can't forget Bernd's coffee. ;)

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 01:01:27 PM »

Ahem *points to avatar* yes it was another chat like that that sparked off an entire inanimate twincest topic that spanned three web boards and several discussions after I got started.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »
a Canadian who won't shut up (Novice)

Funny that I got that reputation after only a couple of months... lol, ah, the good ol' days.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline USS Mariner

• Absolutley Right™
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 06:57:06 PM »
Whenever moments like this come up, when we celebrate what a jolly fine place this is, I always share this old topic, and now I've uploaded it in its entirely for you to enjoy how SCN used to look like, and what folk used to dwell there--it's odd how many of those old regulars don't show up anymore, but ah well I assume they did manage to get a life ;)

SCN, a haven of diversity (or oddity)

I suppose I should save more of this stuff. 

I miss AJ and Chris, and Nathan, and a load of other guys too.

:'(

Good times.
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan Noonien Singh
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton