Author Topic: Lucas says "Force Unleashed" is canon  (Read 28513 times)

Offline The Third Revelation

• I've got two words for you...
    • View Profile
Lucas says "Force Unleashed" is canon
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:33:01 AM »
Does anybody else think this is just a ploy to boost sales?

----
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1823817,00.html

Star Wars: Episode 3.5?

Thursday, Jul. 17, 2008 By AP/DERRIK J. LANG

When LucasArts releases Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on Sept. 16, the video game will serve as George Lucas' official median between 2005's Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith and 1977's Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope. In the game, players become Darth Vader's secret apprentice and use The Force to hunt the remaining Jedi.

Force Unleashed allows gamers use supercharged Force powers to bust through objects, wield a lightsaber, blast lighting bolts and fling around foes. The game will also change the way fans view Episode IV through Episode VI — Return of the Jedi, LucasArts project lead Haden Blackman told The Associated Press at the E3 Business and Media Summit.

"There's a couple of big twists and turns in the story," said Blackman. "One revelation in particular really impacts the rest of the saga as a whole. It goes way beyond filling in gaps. We try to make a bridge on every level. The story has a real implications on Episode IV. In some ways, without the apprentice, Episode IV couldn't happen."

Versions of The Force Unleashed will be available on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS and PlayStation 2. Blackman and his team worked with Lucas to craft the original saga, which mixes both pre-established elements from the Star Wars universe as well as new characters, locales and details from game developers.

"We pitched a number of different story ideas and concepts to him," said Blackman. "With him, we picked and chose the strongest elements. As we worked on The Force Unleashed, he encouraged us to create new characters as well use existing characters. He told us, 'If you're going to use Vader, that's fine, but here's how you can use him.'"

In the first level, players will plow through the Wookie homeworld of Kashyyyk as Darth Vader. Subsequent levels find players serving as Vader's apprentice and traveling to such locales as a TIE Fighter construction facility, the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, the overgrown planet of Felucia and back to an Empire ravaged Kashyyyk.

"Story-wise, we left some openings for a sequel," said Blackman. "The concept of 'The Force Unleashed' could be taken in any direction. We could potentially do a Force Unleashed game set in a different Star Wars time period with a new storyline. We were definitely cognizant to leave some doors open at the end."

Lucas will premiere the new computer-animated film Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which takes place between Star Wars: Episode II — Attack of the Clones and Episode III, on Aug. 10. The film will be pegged to a new weekly animated TV series as well as new Clone Wars video games for both the Nintendo DS and the Wii.
"Does it make you happy? You're so stra-a-ange."

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Re: Lucas says "Force Unleashed" is canon
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:18:29 AM »
Seems perfectly in keeping with standard Lucas policy for years.

By 1996, Licensing was keeping an in-house bible of reference materials as the volume of publications, facts, and figures grew to such unwieldy proportions that it became difficult to know everything relevant to a particular project. They finally decided something had to be done to organize the increasingly large collection of media which chronicled the Star Wars universe. A system of canon was developed that organized the materials into what was and wasn't fit for the Star Wars story.

In 2000, Lucas Licensing appointed Leland Chee to create a continuity tracking database referred to as the "Holocron". As with every other aspect having to do with the overall story of Star Wars, the Holocron follows the canon policy that has been in effect for years.

The Holocron is divided into 5 levels: G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, and N-canon.

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction. Within G-canon, many fans follow an unofficial progression of canonicity where the movies are the highest canon, followed by the scripts, the novelizations, and then the radio plays.

T-canon refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.

C-canon is primarily composed of elements from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars. Games and RPG sourcebooks are a special case; the stories and general background information are themselves fully C-canon, but the other elements such as character/item statistics and gameplay are, with few exceptions, N-canon.

S-canon is secondary canon; the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This includes things like the online roleplaying game Star Wars: Galaxies and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

N-canon is non-canon. "What-if" stories (such as stories published under the Star Wars: Infinities label), game statistics, and anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. A significant amount of material that was previously C-canon was rendered N-canon by the release of Episodes I-III.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:53:46 AM »
So, by this explanation that Mr. Bond posted, how will the live action series that is supposed to come out at some point be developed? IIRC, it is supposed to be set in the interim between ROTS and ANH. According to the above post, by their own standards, it will be lesser canon than what is in the movies. It will be curious as to how they script it and what will happen.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:44:34 AM »
So is the christmas special G-canon?

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »
The Holiday Special is E-Canon (the "E" is for "excellence") and outranks all other levels of canon, which is why no one has ever contradicted the existence of Bea Arthur's musical number in thirty years of film and EU materials.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:05:12 AM by Bond, James Bond »

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:10:28 AM »
So, by this explanation that Mr. Bond posted, how will the live action series that is supposed to come out at some point be developed? IIRC, it is supposed to be set in the interim between ROTS and ANH. According to the above post, by their own standards, it will be lesser canon than what is in the movies. It will be curious as to how they script it and what will happen.

I've read reports that it's going to resemble BSG in production values, tone and characterizations. I've also read it won't feature any Jedi (although I can't see how they can resist) and will revolve around a Bounty Hunter (not difficult to work out which one).

@Bond -- Yeah, the writer made it sound like TFU was going to be G-canon, which it is not.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:12:12 AM by The Third Revelation »

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:24:45 AM »
No, the writer just said it was "official," which it is. It's also "canon," as stated in your topic title, just a lower tier of canon.

You could make an argument that the segments of the storyline that were directly suggested by or approved by Lucas would fall under the G-Canon heading because of this...

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself.

... but that depends on what your interpretation is of what they meant there. Do they mean statements by Lucas about anything Star Wars related, or statements he makes about the films specifically? Given that he will be directly involved in the production of the live-action TV series and yet it still occupies a lower tier of canon then the films, it would appear that any "statements" he makes that are considered G-Canon would have to apply solely to the films.

Anyhoo, I don't see how an accurate comment by a writer or the established canon system of Lucas subsidiaries is a ploy to boost sales, but even if it were, what's wrong with that?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »
No, the writer just said it was "official," which it is. It's also "canon," as stated in your topic title, just a lower tier of canon.

You could make an argument that the segments of the storyline that were directly suggested by or approved by Lucas would fall under the G-Canon heading because of this...

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself.

... but that depends on what your interpretation is of what they meant there.

I interpreted the headline "Episode 3.5?"  that the writer was implying TFU was on par with the movies.  However, he did qualify it with a question mark which may mean he's not sure himself (or maybe, he's not familiar with the various levels of canon.)

Quote from: Bond, James Bond
Do they mean statements by Lucas about anything Star Wars related, or statements he makes about the films specifically?

I think that's an example of ejusdem generis which would limit its application to comments about the movies. 

Quote from: Bond, James Bond
Anyhoo, I don't see how an accurate comment by a writer or the established canon system of Lucas subsidiaries is a ploy to boost sales, but even if it were, what's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that per se, other than the fact fans who don't own a console may be deprived from gaining familiarity with what is suggested to be a significant story.  It may have been better suited to the TV series.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »
Eh, the hilariously named Wookieepedia always includes a detailed plot synopsis of the storyline from the games, so people can always catch up that way.

Wikipedia would probably have a decent synopsis as well for that matter. 

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:52:17 AM »
Apparently there's going to be a novel and graphic novel.

Here's Starkiller's (the protagonist) ship: It's called the Rogue Shadow.

Yay for asymmetric ships!

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 12:49:57 AM »
Starkiller? Do you know if he's going to be distantly related to Luke somehow, because that was originally Luke's last name in Lucas' old story outlines? In fact I think the name has been used in some peripheral stories before as well.

Never mind... Looking it up, it appears that "Starkiller" is a codename Vader uses for his new apprentice rather than his real name, but that seems appropriate given its origins.

Code Name: Starkiller… Real Name: Jacob Nion…

July 23, 2008

So, we were all surprised when we learned a few months ago that The Secret Apprentices name was, “StarKiller”. We quickly then learned that this was just a codename. Now according to Wookiepedia.com the real, real name of The Secret Apprentice is, Jacob Nion. This is very interesting, it’s not huge news, but a lot of people have been very curious about his real name.

From the rumors i’ve been hearing out and about is that the official Force Unleashed novel was released in Germany and that’s how everyone found out what The Secret Apprentice’s real name is. Now for a quick history lesson from Wookiepedia.com.

Jacob Nion, codenamed Starkiller, was the son of the Jedi Kento Nion and another as yet unnamed female Jedi. He was a Human male secretly taken as an apprentice by Darth Vader from his father on Kashyyyk during the Great Jedi Purge. The Dark Lord trained him to kill Jedi who survived Order 66, and eventually stand with Vader to overthrow his own Master.

Nion was not always faithful to his Master, however. At one point, he received training from Jedi Master Rahm Kota and helped the “fallen” Jedi Maris Brood seek redemption. They eventually had an ultimate confrontation.

Training under Darth Vader

“You were weak when I found you. I did not expect you to survive your training. But now, your hatred has become your strength.

At last, the dark side is your ally.
―Darth Vader

Jacob Nion when first found by Darth Vader.Jacob Nion was the son of Kento Nion and another Jedi.
His mother had been killed while defending Kashyyyk from Trandoshan slavers.

As Darth Vader was about to deal the finishing blow on Kento, his lightsaber was pulled out of his hand. He turned around to find a young boy holding his lightsaber. He sensed that the boy had the potential to become the most powerful Force user in the galaxy. After killing his father, Vader saved the child’s life when a clone commander tried to blast him. Vader spent years training the young Human in the ways of the dark side, in secret, even from his own Master, Darth Sidious. Though skilled with many Force powers, such as telekinesis and Force lightning, he was a Sith apprentice in all but name. The Rule of Two prevented him from becoming Vader’s official apprentice, as Vader himself occupied that position. This made Vader’s apprentice officially nothing more than a Dark Jedi.

His existence was meant to be kept a secret, so he would make a point of leaving few witnesses to his work, going as far as eliminating Imperial stormtroopers who saw him in action.

Nion’s training is deemed complete on board the Executor.Jedi Temple trials

“You will need all of your skill to survive.”
―Unknown Jedi Spirit

Jacob Nion
Biographical information
Homeworld Kashyyyk
Died c. 2 BBY

Physical description
Species Human
Gender Male
Hair color Brown
Eye color Brown

Chronological and political information
Era(s) Rise of the Empire era

Affiliation
Order of the Sith Lords
Dark Side Adept
Galactic Empire
Alliance to Restore the Republic

Known masters Darth Vader (Sith Master)
Rahm Kota (Jedi Master)

http://www.forceunleashed.org/2008/07/23/code-name-starkiller-real-name-jacob-nion/

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 05:52:12 AM »
Kinda ruins the game, now that we know he dies at the end of it.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 06:04:45 AM »
Wasn't that sort of a given seeing as how Vader didn't have an apprentice during the OT? These Dark Side guys don't exactly retire to the planetary version of Florida, they usually just die.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 06:13:57 AM »
I was expecting, after the inevitable confrontation with Vader, that he'd escape into the unknown, in order to be used in subsequent retarded EU novels. That, or he'd turn out to be a major character, or the ancestor of somebody important.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 06:16:10 AM »
Death is no excuse not to appear in retarded EU novels. :D

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 06:22:10 AM »
These Dark Side guys don't exactly retire to the planetary version of Florida, they usually just die.

That's only because the Retiree People of the Assisted Living Nebula were conquered by Zapp Brannigan.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 06:50:58 AM »
Here's a video/trailer that covers the major story plot points; SPOILERS, obviously

Comments:
- I really love how Vader uncovers the boy's strong force powers -- Lucas should have scripted a similar scene between Qui-Gon and Anakin in "The Phantom Menace" rather than the  Midi-chlorian crapola we were given.
- I hate how 'Starkiller' holds his lightsaber behind his back, like he's Darth Snoop Dog.  (It's more evident in this video)
- The in-game physics look very interesting esp throwing T-Fighters across the hanger bay (again more obvious in the second video)
- Force 'bursts"....meh.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:12:36 AM by The Third Revelation »

Offline DaimonConstantine

• View Profile
Bea Arthur Sings
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 08:40:19 PM »
Bea Arthur Sings...

Damn you, Mr. Bond.  You have done an evil thing.  God, I wish I hadn't watched that.

Semper Fi,
Daimon

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 12:34:16 AM »
When watched once it has been, unwatched it can not be.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 05:24:28 AM »
I was itching to get this game, but then I found the game wasn't being made for windows. I'm not buying a console for just one game. However, I did like that they decided to just wank out force powers. The visuals are great, as is the realistic breaking/moving/flailing.

Edit: Is t just me, but doesn't that Torres guy at the end of the trailer sound like the disfigured guy from Mask?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 05:31:16 AM by GStone »
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 08:28:58 AM »
I played the demo. It sucked ass.  It's a glorified fighting game (with accompanying power-ups, button-mashing combinations and annoying jerky vertical scrolling). Specific other things that annoyed me were:
-  Picking up and throwing things gets old pretty quickly. Moreover environmental damage is preset - you cause the same damage irrespective of whether you throw large
or small objects.
- You can cut through bulkheads with your lightsaber yet it takes 3 lightsaber slashes to kill a stormtrooper (and no disembodiments).
- Darth Vader's voice sucks (and is obviously not JEJ)
- As soon as you pick up an enemy he dies.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Minion!
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 08:06:28 PM »
I played the demo and enjoyed it, and while it is pretty much a button masher, it does have some cool moments.  It's not the greatest game, but it certainly doesn't suck ass...unless you were expecting greatness and feel the need to nitpick every little detail.
Go buy my book: Method of Life

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 01:25:22 AM »
Reminds me of God of War, which is cool. It was fun. Definitely a rental rather than a buy, though.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 04:32:20 AM »
That's because it's a shameless God of War rip-off.

I'm sorry but the flaws in the physics engine go beyond nitpicking, especially when it is the aspect that was so hyped by the devs.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:05:49 AM by The Third Revelation »

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »
I just read the comic book...and...

Meh.

I wasn't too impressed.

Art is okay...storyline is...so-so...

Overall? The premise of "Force Unleashed" was exciting, but the delivery is poor.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk