Author Topic: ST: Destiny Trilogy Excerpt & Covers  (Read 53461 times)

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: ST: Destiny Trilogy Excerpt & Covers
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »
The separation of Tom and B'Lanna was a completely unnecessary and stupid thing to bring up in this novel unless they plan to incorporate it in the future novels somehow (though I doubt it). It was completely out of left field and served no purpose to the rest of the story.

I think it was probably meant to remedy the distinct lack of YouTube B'Lanna/Tom tribute videos set to "(Untitled) How Could This Happen to Me?"

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »
Anybody pick up "Mere Mortals" yet?  I didn't realize it was out this soon.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 05:58:55 PM »
I did!

;D

I got about 1/5 of it left to read.

;)

Oh...BTW...you do realize who the female clad in white on the cover of "Mere Mortals" is, yes? (At this point I presume she's the same character depicted on the cover of the third novel as well...)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:35:54 PM by DarkShinobi »

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 01:50:53 AM »
Oh...BTW...you do realize who the female clad in white on the cover of "Mere Mortals" is, yes? (At this point I presume she's the same character depicted on the cover of the third novel as well...)

It's not Erika Hernandez? I thought the motif of her and the alien city was on each cover?

I haven't gotten 'Mere Mortals' yet. I'm going to order it now.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 09:52:45 AM »
^OH...it's her. Just wasn't sure if everyone picked up on that.

;)

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 09:55:20 AM »
Oh, okay.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 10:48:49 AM »
Been trying to imagine an actress who would potray Erika in that form.

;)

(Basically...an actress that looks like a younger version of Ada Maris)

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 06:00:29 PM »
A little ways into Mere Mortals so far.  Great start, straight into the heart of things.  It picks up right where the Gods of Night left off.  I don't think I was complimentary enough with my review on that one, it was really enjoyable.  It's nice to see Trek written so well (by and large), especially after the mess that was the beginning of this relaunch.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »
I'll give a more in depth review later, but I agree with Broken Subspace Scene. I dont think any of these are real spoilers...I'll do those later:

Not much Borg fighting (relief!!!) except at the end, and wow...what an end. Riker has the last line in the story, and while not to par with the end of TNG Ep "Best of Both Worlds Part I" it did remind me of that scene.

Voyager is in this...Excalibur is mentioned.

I like the political stuff with the Federation President. Very "West Wing" sorta astmosphere.

T'Ryssa has a few more lines in this one...one of which involves her getting her arm burnt.

Deanna really comes off as pretty whiny in this one ("Woe is me..." sorta attutude.) I find myself agreeing with Christine in regards to what she has to put up with.

The Erica flashback stuff is entertaining. At one point of the story, an aged Erica and one of her crewmembers come across almost like Lucy and Ethel from "I Love Lucy" Fame.

The Caeliar are REALLY advanced aliens...I mean REALLY advanced.

This is truly a RE-LAUNCH and its going at Warp 9.99! (Top speed of Aventine without QSD.)

;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:50:12 PM by DarkShinobi »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2008, 06:59:14 PM »
This sounds pretty cool, I might have to pick them up.

Question, do I need to have read the previous TNG/Titan novels?  I know there was some stuff in there with the Borg and some new characters.  If I start with these am I going to be lost?
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2008, 07:09:04 PM »
This sounds pretty cool, I might have to pick them up.

Question, do I need to have read the previous TNG/Titan novels?  I know there was some stuff in there with the Borg and some new characters.  If I start with these am I going to be lost?

Short answer, Jimi...naw!

;D

I struggled through "Resistance" and "Before Dishonor" but thoroughly ENJOYED "Greater Than The Sum" so from a fan POV, I'd just read that because it summarized a LOT of the previous novels. (And did away with a lot of "mistakes" from those stories, such as the Borg being androgenous. Yeah...right...no male or female Borg. Uh huh. Ever look at Seven of Nine? Hah. I don't think so...)

BUT...

You can just start with the first book of Star Trek: Destiny.

(Though again, I'd recommend reading GTTS...its a good story! And it leads to the Destiny Trilogy.)

;)

Oh...while I think of it...opinion please of anyone:

Is the word Caeliar prounounced KAY-LEE-arr or SAY-LEE-arr?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:19:17 PM by DarkShinobi »

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 05:13:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's "Kay-lee-ar", although I'm basing that solely on the fact that it sounds better.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's "Kay-lee-ar", although I'm basing that solely on the fact that it sounds better.

That's what I was saying as well, but someone else suggested the other pronounciation.

;)

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 09:53:57 PM »
It might even be "kay-ar."

Offline BlackWidow

• セクシーな事務局長
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 01:03:14 PM »
(^_~)

I was the one who came up with the sail-EE-r pronounciation and when I read that's how I hear it.

At suggestion, I just finished Greater Than The Sum and am starting on reading Gods Of Night.

千に抗する強さの単独ライダー: ドラゴンの運命

Offline Clawhammer

• Prolific Member
  • WIP: Voyager refit 1%
    • View Profile
    • Clawhammer
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »
This is my first Star Trek book in 14 years, I'm halfway and I must say the book is doing what a good book does: Making you want to know how it ends! :P
Looking forward to order and read the other 2 parts of it.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 05:54:34 PM »
^ Oh yeah...that's what got me ineterested as well!  ;)

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »
Oh my!  "Mere Mortals" thoughts:

This was another fun read; I enjoyed it more than "Gods of Night", as it had a brisker pace and mostly dropped the tiresome national stereotypes.  Unfortunately, the novel was sloppy in places, with some elements that felt distinctly out-of-character and out-of-place.  Still, a good read, buoyed by the predominantly excellent Columbia and Enterprise/Aventine storylines.  I can't wait for Book III.

When they promised 'A Borg invasion. FOR REALS' they weren't kidding.  I imagine many people will enjoy brief inclusions of the "Articles of the Federation" characters, Garak, Gorn, Tholians, etc., and a lengthy appearance by a certain (non-Borg) Delta Quadrant species.  The book also gets a ceremonial trophy for Star Trek's best unauthorized, erm...emergency surgery...ever written.  Spoiler-laden thoughts below.  

- The history of the Columbia survivors in Axion was fantastic and extremely compelling.  There was a real feeling of distance and sorrow as it was played out over the course of centuries.  Great, imaginative stuff.
- Troi was beyond 'whiny'.  She was just idiotic.  In the span of a handful of pages she completely reversed her position on the Caeliar for no apparent reason.  However...Doctor Ree for the frickin' win!  Ever see a dinosaur bite through Troi's stomach to presumably abort her fetus?  Yes, you just read that right, and here's the book for you.  'Sensing' any 'malevolence' now, Counselor?  Oh snap
!  
- The away team storyline was dull, but was thankfully brief.  Tuvok continues to be well written, and Torvig feels increasingly interesting and less like one of Titan's more gimmicky species.
- Geordi's lookin' so crazy in love again, this time with the Aventine's engineer.  I thought one of the earlier books suggested he was interested in Elfiki?
- The Starfleet Command storyline subtracted from the book, if anything.  I got excited when Seven mentioned the Thalaron weapon.  Even if it didn't work, it would have been very interesting to see the Federation, in dire times, use such a weapon and try to cope with self-loathing over its use.  It seems bizarre that the Federation is in terrible shape but Command is not willing to consider drastic options, especially considering they were seemingly fine with committing genocide against the Borg on previous occasions.  Huh?  Even if they adapt, you're pretty much screwed anyway, so why not try for the one hit kill?
- Rigellian-fu!
- Seven's freakouts and defeatism were weird and utterly pointless.  There were a couple of points where I stopped reading and just wondered to myself "What the hell?!"  An example of this odd plotting is the fact that she puts assimilation tubules to Jellico's neck and yells 'We're all gonna die!', but somehow later is still granted audience with the president.  The idea of a mass Federation exodus was kind of intriguing though.
- I get the feeling that the presidential storyline was written solely because of the author's obsession with the idea of suave, elite Federation secret service agents.  To some extent, they picked up where the national stereotypes left off last time, with most agents getting a description (along with an explanation of why they are apparently awesome).  It sounds like nitpicking, but I honestly found it to be lame enough that it took me out of the story.
- Takaran-fu!
- The Hirogen!  Though their appearance was marred by Enterprise's ridiculously convenient escape, it was shockingly brutal for a Trek book, and, like the revival of the Borg, the author seemed rightfully intent on making them a serious threat and not somewhat weak.  I did find their ridiculously potent energy-dampening abilities (forcing, among other things, the use of TR-116's) rather contrived, even though it was required to make them an effective threat.  It seemed weird that they could be dispatched by phasers in Voyager and now, in the span of a few years, are invincible from beam weapons, and an extremely grave threat.
- Picard leaves Starfleet survivors behind on a whim!?  I know it would have been an emotionally devastating moment, but really?
- 7400+ cubes?  Holy frickin' crap...

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »
^OMG...I saw that one scene totally different than you!  :D

I thought Ree did that to Deanna to injure her so that the Caeliar would have no choice but to perform surgery on her...and perhaps even save her unborn child in the process.

BUT yours makes better sense, Broken Subspace Scene.

;)

We'll see how it plays out.

;D

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »
Hm, interesting, that didn't occur to me.  I am assuming that all is not as it appears with the scene.  I think your idea might be correct, as my presumption would certainly be a more extreme and controversial course of events.  It'll be interesting to see where things go.  If you're right, perhaps the child will have to be infused with catoms like Hernandez?

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »
I agree with you there that it was a classic cliffhanger sort of thing going on, but visualize him doing THAT (like on TV with all the FX) ...and of ALL people.

;)

Hmm...interesting take on what the Caeliar will do...but for some reason, I think the actual solution will be a bit simpler.

But I still find it amusing that what you thought didnt quite come to mind until I read what you said.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 09:22:23 PM »
(^_~)

I was the one who came up with the sail-EE-r pronounciation and when I read that's how I hear it.

The way you actually say it sounds more like "cellular" as in a cellular phone.

(Or Cellular Field.)

;)

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 11:52:05 PM »
I agree with you there that it was a classic cliffhanger sort of thing going on, but visualize him doing THAT (like on TV with all the FX) ...and of ALL people.

;)

Hmm...interesting take on what the Caeliar will do...but for some reason, I think the actual solution will be a bit simpler.

But I still find it amusing that what you thought didnt quite come to mind until I read what you said.

Well...curiosity got the better of me:

DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU LIKE SPOILERS:

http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cfm?tab=24&pid=629028&agid=2

Its an excerpt of "Lost Souls" that kinda settles what me and  Broken Subspace Scene were talking about.

Offline BlackWidow

• セクシーな事務局長
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »

That is like asking someone not to think of pink elephants David!!!...LOL!!!...

(*^o^*)

(I took a quick peek.)

千に抗する強さの単独ライダー: ドラゴンの運命

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »
Hm, it comes out November 28.  My curiosity can be held at bay until then.

Damn you for the temptation, though :p