Author Topic: ST: Destiny Trilogy Excerpt & Covers  (Read 53460 times)

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
Re: ST: Destiny Trilogy Excerpt & Covers
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2008, 07:15:42 PM »
Hm, it comes out November 28.  My curiosity can be held at bay until then.

Damn you for the temptation, though :p

The 28th of this month? Hmm...I didn't know it was coming out so soon. KEWL!

;)

Sure beats the fuck outta waiting three years between Star Wars Movies though, eh?

:D

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »
Speaking of which...

;)

I just happened to stop by Border's today and what do I see in the Sci-Fi Books aisle...

Just take a guess.

;D

I guess "Lost Souls" was released a tad bit early, eh?

;)

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2008, 02:26:22 PM »
I bought books One and Two, as well as Greater then the Sum.  I started the latter a few days ago, but haven't finished it yet...not that I don't like it.  It's fine so far, I'm just being lazy.

https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline BlackWidow

• セクシーな事務局長
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
I am almost done reading 'Greater Than The Sum' and will start on the first book of 'Destiny' after that.  This weekend I think.

(*^o^*)

The good thing about these books is that I don't have to buy them!!!...LOL!!!...

(^_~)

千に抗する強さの単独ライダー: ドラゴンの運命

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2008, 02:44:01 PM »
I bought books One and Two, as well as Greater then the Sum.  I started the latter a few days ago, but haven't finished it yet...not that I don't like it.  It's fine so far, I'm just being lazy.

Hey Jimi...just keep picturing Zoe from "Knight Rider" with pointed ears when you read T'Ryssa Chen from GTTS.

8)

She fits the image in both looks and personality.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:57:18 PM by DarkShinobi »

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »
zomg.  Well, that was different.  Spoiler-laden thoughts on Book III: "Lost Souls" below.

- Another satisfying read.  Although each book certainly had its flaws, overall, the trilogy was the best big Star Trek/Star Wars/etc. novel series I can recall in ages. 
- As a whole, this book was probably less well- and tightly-plotted than the previous two, but it was still fairly well written and the sheer momentum and implications of the plot made it a page turner.
- So much for a dinosaur bite abortion.  Oh well, there's always the next Titan novel, right?
- I was skeptical as it was revealed, but I think, ultimately, I like the idea of the Borg originating from humans and the Caeliar.  While it takes away some of their mystery, it adds logic as to why they take such a human form and why they are fixated on humanity.  I also liked Mack's reinforcement that the queens are--or rather, were--only manifestations of the greater collective personality, rather than leaders in their own right.
- I want to see what the Aventine looks like, damn it.  I'm curious as to whether the "Type-XII phaser cannons" mentioned in the last book were supposed to be like the Defiant's pulse phasers, or like the AGT Enterprise.  On the downside, I thought it was kind of lame that the Slipstream had never been tested, but the crew gets it up and running in a few hours even after extensive battle damage.
- I loved the use of some common sense solutions often brought up in boards and fanfics, such as the Titan juryrigging a Shuttlecraft to replace their damaged comms, and the crew of the Aventine using emergency transporters, cargo transporters, etc. to help facilitate a massive simultaneous beam-in.
- Also a plus, Starfleet personnel use inventive and cool infantry technology without it being lame and "Starfleet Marines"-ish, including glow gel flares.  The recent trend of away teams in combat situations wearing--*gasp*--combat-specific uniforms is also continued.
- More TR-116 gun fu.  That's enough for awhile, let's save it for special occasions, mmkay?
- Glad the Thalaron weapon was brought up again.  However, I found the assertion that Starfleet's use of it would somehow cause a quadrant-wide war slightly peculiar.  Isn't it a given that the Romulans have this technology?  Is it possible that knowledge of the Scimitar incident was suppressed?
- Seven wasn't crazy this time.  I felt oddly sentimental about her being freed from the Collective.
- What about Geordi?  Where is the love?  He has a relatively small appearance and doesn't appear at all in the post-victory events at the end of the book.  It seems that, having lost his natural companion--Data--authors don't know what to do with him or how to work him into stories.  Disappointing.
- The series has set the stage for interesting future reads, with Starfleet resources severely depleted and no chance of a lame Borg resurrection tainting future storylines.  However, with huge ramifications like 63 billion dead and 40% of Starfleet wiped out, not to mention the use of the Caeliar in general, I wonder if things were so 'epic' and grandiose in scale that it will be difficult to follow up on.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2008, 05:14:39 PM »
I just finished reading “Lost Souls” and it was indeed the perfect ending to the Star Trek : Destiny Trilogy.

Things are resolved, and there are of course ramifications that need to be dealt with. Again, I think this was the best series of Star Trek Novels I have read in a LONG time and recommend everyone to read it.

• Not much was said about what happened to USS Voyager, except Chakotay was in critical condition and that the crew refused any help following the Borg invasion. It was said that they had to rebuild Voyager’s warp core from “the bolts up…”

• T’Ryssa Chen as a few more lines in this where she is questioning Erika about the Caeliar not wanting to have sexual intercourse activities for procreation but rather recreation, which basically irritated Erika.

• Deanna and Riker’s unborn daughter was saved by the Caeliar, so she will not have a miscarriage.

• Deneva, first seen in TOS Ep “Operation: Annihilate” was one of the many planets to fall to the Borg. Tuvok’s son was on the planet and was killed.

• Captain Morgan Bateson has a few “in joke, tongue-in-cheek” lines that reflect his character from “Cheers.”

• The origin of the Borg is finally revealed. The Borg were created basically because of the actions of the MACOs from the Columbia’s crew along with time displaced Caeliar. (I actually like this version of the Borg Origin than the others that were told in comic books and I believe one of the Star Trek video games.)

• As the Borg themselves…that’s it. They are done. They are gone. NO MORE BORG. There is a scene where Seven of Nine basically collapses in emotional turmoil when the event happened, and when questioned, she answers in a teary eyed fashion “My name is Annika.”

• The USS daVinci from “Star Trek: SCE” fame tractor beams the NX-02 Columbia back to Utopia Planitia. It was a very moving scene as it was described…I can almost visualize it in my mind’s eye, FX and all. I have a feeling that the Columbia will be refitted and used in a future story.

It was a nice wrap up, and I admit I kinda sorta rushed my reading towards the end, but I do plan on rereading all three books again.

EDIT: AAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Looks like we finished it about the same time, BSS! Lemme look at what you wrote.

;D

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2008, 05:25:15 PM »
zomg.  Well, that was different.  Spoiler-laden thoughts on Book III: "Lost Souls" below.

- Another satisfying read.  Although each book certainly had its flaws, overall, the trilogy was the best big Star Trek/Star Wars/etc. novel series I can recall in ages. 
- As a whole, this book was probably less well- and tightly-plotted than the previous two, but it was still fairly well written and the sheer momentum and implications of the plot made it a page turner.
- So much for a dinosaur bite abortion.  Oh well, there's always the next Titan novel, right?
- I was skeptical as it was revealed, but I think, ultimately, I like the idea of the Borg originating from humans and the Caeliar.  While it takes away some of their mystery, it adds logic as to why they take such a human form and why they are fixated on humanity.  I also liked Mack's reinforcement that the queens are--or rather, were--only manifestations of the greater collective personality, rather than leaders in their own right.
- I want to see what the Aventine looks like, damn it.  I'm curious as to whether the "Type-XII phaser cannons" mentioned in the last book were supposed to be like the Defiant's pulse phasers, or like the AGT Enterprise.  On the downside, I thought it was kind of lame that the Slipstream had never been tested, but the crew gets it up and running in a few hours even after extensive battle damage.
- I loved the use of some common sense solutions often brought up in boards and fanfics, such as the Titan juryrigging a Shuttlecraft to replace their damaged comms, and the crew of the Aventine using emergency transporters, cargo transporters, etc. to help facilitate a massive simultaneous beam-in.
- Also a plus, Starfleet personnel use inventive and cool infantry technology without it being lame and "Starfleet Marines"-ish, including glow gel flares.  The recent trend of away teams in combat situations wearing--*gasp*--combat-specific uniforms is also continued.
- More TR-116 gun fu.  That's enough for awhile, let's save it for special occasions, mmkay?
- Glad the Thalaron weapon was brought up again.  However, I found the assertion that Starfleet's use of it would somehow cause a quadrant-wide war slightly peculiar.  Isn't it a given that the Romulans have this technology?  Is it possible that knowledge of the Scimitar incident was suppressed?
- Seven wasn't crazy this time.  I felt oddly sentimental about her being freed from the Collective.
- What about Geordi?  Where is the love?  He has a relatively small appearance and doesn't appear at all in the post-victory events at the end of the book.  It seems that, having lost his natural companion--Data--authors don't know what to do with him or how to work him into stories.  Disappointing.
- The series has set the stage for interesting future reads, with Starfleet resources severely depleted and no chance of a lame Borg resurrection tainting future storylines.  However, with huge ramifications like 63 billion dead and 40% of Starfleet wiped out, not to mention the use of the Caeliar in general, I wonder if things were so 'epic' and grandiose in scale that it will be difficult to follow up on.

I have to admit that I am imaging the Aventine as seen the way storengau has shown in his thread. And I imagine her weapons to be more like the Defiant’s.

I think Geordi really shined when he defied Picard’s orders to reconfigure the Enterprise’s navigational deflector to that of a Thalaron Weapon. Sure…the whole “Data’s sacrifice would have been in vain” thing going on, but still…I think it showed more of who Geordi is rather than the “Screw it…we all gonna be extinct anyway…USE the thing” kinda attitude going around.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »
Re: Geordi

That's true.  To me, it felt like they weren't REALLY going to use it anyway, and Geordi just happened to be the one who spoke up.  It could have been any of the TNG'ers. 

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2008, 06:21:05 PM »
D'oh...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 06:24:12 PM by DarkShinobi »

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »
Re: Geordi

That's true.  To me, it felt like they weren't REALLY going to use it anyway, and Geordi just happened to be the one who spoke up.  It could have been any of the TNG'ers. 

Yeah...Worf even admitted that he was gonna do that, but wouldn't had been hilarious if T'Ryssa came to Picard's room with that notion? "No...you can't do it....I won't let you...let's have some sex instead okay??? Just you and me just doing it but NO Thalaron Weapon...MAKE IT SO!!!"

I know that's a stretch but when you mentioned  it could have been any of the TNGers, I couldn't help myself.

;)

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2008, 07:00:33 PM »
Ugh, don't get me started.  It's a shame T'Ryssa wasn't involved in the TR-116 friendly fire scene.

Offline Clawhammer

• Prolific Member
  • WIP: Voyager refit 1%
    • View Profile
    • Clawhammer
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »
I only have read part 1 so far, is there any more information on the Aventine's exterior, in the other 2 books? :)
(They are on order atm.)

A ship that is more suitable to fight the Borg then the Enterprise E, I find it quite intrigueing. I thought it was a small ship, but I read it had a crew of over 750, that would bring it closer to a capital ship I think. I got some idea's from mild to wild, planning on doing some sketches when time permits.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2008, 10:01:19 AM »
Not really :(  They avoid any kind of size comparisons other ships, or any description of the physical layout.  We know it has a pair of 'experimental' Type-XII phaser cannons, which could be Defiant type or AGT Enterprise-D style.  I think the AGT Enterprise is somewhat more likely given the size of the ship.  The shuttlebay might be the 'dome' style based on one of the shuttlebay scenes, but that might have been my imagination rather than actually written.  Even if not explicitly stated, it's probably a pretty safe bet considering that it has been used on the Sovereign-, Prometheus-, and Luna- classes.

We're not sure what the actual size is in comparison to a Sovereign, but it seemed to be implied that it was bigger.  It does have a lot of transporter rooms though, and is described repeatedly as a full-blown explorer.  Given the crew count, I have been imagining it as somewhere in between a Sovereign- and Galaxy- in size, with a pretty sleek form factor.  I think stourangeau's version is a bit too chunky and stubby for a fast, 'athletic' ship.

Ironically enough, I saw some people on Trek BBS postulate it might look like your SoTL 2009 calendar entry.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2008, 10:13:23 AM »
I must have missed where it it was said that the Aventine had a crew of 750...I really was under the impression that it was a "small" ship...along the size range as being bigger than Defiant, though a bit smaller than Voyager.

One thing that was stated in the second book (or was it the first?)  though was that the shuttlebay was on Deck 12.

And I agree with BSS about the "dome" style shuttle bay scenes, but I tend to refer to that type as "clam shell" doors, as opposed to the "garage" style doors on the Galaxy Class.

Offline Clawhammer

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
    • Clawhammer
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »
Dark Shinobi:  Book 1, Page 18, second paragraph. :)

Broken: I noticed that topic indeed, while the NX-79995 might have an interesting shape, I have trouble putting it on a different scale, I dont think you can simply scale something up to roughly 6 times it's size. I would not go that route. :)
Do you refer to the large phaser canon attach to the saucer of the ATG Enterprise?

I think I would go for garage style doors, somehow I have the idea that garage doors have less moving parts, or a construction that would be easier to open when jammed.
My point here is not entirely valid because if that would be the case, Starfleet would not use them anymore ofcourse. But well :P

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »
Thanks Clawhammer. I'd look NOW but Rachel's got my book!

And yes, BSS does refer to the "Phaser Cannon" from the AGT Enterprise.

Like I said...I totally missed that line about the 750 crew. All this time I didnt really think that the ship was that big, but with a crew that size it would as big or larger than a Sovereign Class.

Hmm...makes me think a lot differently now.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:14:27 PM by DarkShinobi »

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2008, 05:55:55 PM »
This is pretty minor, but the Aventine has 20 transporter sites, which include four upgraded cargo transporters and six emergency evacuation transporters (book 3, pg.191).  The Galaxy has 20 (non cargo), including mass evacuation transporters.  This might give an [extremely] rough capability/size reference vs. the Galaxy.  Perhaps the Vesta-class has roughly the same volume and capabilities as the Galaxy (and is therefore a true replacement as Starfleet's new frontline explorer), and the reduced crew count is due to increased automation and the lack of civilians.

DarkShinobi: Yeah, the sheer size is why I thought of AGT-style cannons rather than the pulse phaser cannons.

"Clamshell" is probably a better description for that shuttlebay type.

Clawhammer: You certainly couldn't scale it up, but it might be a good starting point in terms of aesthetics (sleek curves, sexy nacelles ;)).  I keep picturing the Aventine as kind of a super-Sovereign with a much more 'aerodynamic' look and triangular/diamond shaped saucer.

Offline Clawhammer

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
    • Clawhammer
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2008, 03:48:00 AM »

Clawhammer: You certainly couldn't scale it up, but it might be a good starting point in terms of aesthetics (sleek curves, sexy nacelles ;)).  I keep picturing the Aventine as kind of a super-Sovereign with a much more 'aerodynamic' look and triangular/diamond shaped saucer.

:) Thanks, something close to a Sovereign is what I have in mind also, but without too much superstructures to improve quantum slipstream capability. And I would go for kind of a TMP era color scheme (With blues instead of blacks)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2008, 08:00:51 AM »
I pictured the Aventine as a Sovereign-scaled version of the USS Dauntless, which was also a quantum slipstream vessel and perhaps a testbed for the Vesta Class. Though it was eventually discovered to be an alien craft, Arturis' particle synthesis technology allowed him to create basically anything he wanted out of raw materials, so he could have stolen a genuine Federation design in the months he spent researching Voyager and Starfleet (the speed of his ship could have allowed him to travel to Earth and back in that time).

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Dauntless

There's a kitbash drawing out there that uses a Dauntless saucer blended into a Sovereign engineering hull, and that fits the image I had of the Aventine while reading.

Offline Clawhammer

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
    • Clawhammer
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »
Some elements of the Dauntless would fit the Aventine well I think, but the "saucer" is a bit too tapered for my taste. I just quickly tried combining the E rear and the Dauntless front in the topview, it looks quite good even with the triangle. :P

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »
I went ahead and started re-reading GTTS...and like a movie you watch again, you notice things that you missed the first time around.

And I am reading it more slowly this time...not trying to rush through it. I'm planning to do with with all the Destiny Books as well.

Offline Clawhammer

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
    • Clawhammer
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2008, 05:10:16 AM »
Aventine design concept has been released on trekmovie.com, I havent read it yet, just noticed the picture.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/30/preview-of-star-trek-books-for-2009-and-2010/ < scroll all the way down.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2008, 08:00:17 AM »
Hmm...interesting.

It looks like the result of a forced mating between a Sovereign and Dauntless Class.

8)

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2008, 10:27:42 AM »
Used your Spirit design as a start point, didja Claw?