Author Topic: Vintage Trek Sites  (Read 16310 times)

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
Vintage Trek Sites
« on: August 23, 2008, 05:47:15 AM »
A while ago, we reminisced about all those wonderful Trek sites now gone, sites like Star Trek in Sound and Vision, Maximum Defiant, Trek5, etc.  While they may be retrieved through the Internet Archive (if you're lucky), many of these have disappeared forever.  Others haven't been updated in years, however, it may still be fun to take a peek at these pages, that are still online, and appreciate especially what great websites were made with so little webdesign tools available at the time.

Medical Log: Supplemental - Everyone ought to know this outstanding website dedicated to Julian Bashir and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.  Considering that this website was made back in 1998/'99, the graphic design is very impressive.  In terms of content and navigation, it might not quite live up to the standards of today, but for the time, this was the dream of every Star Trek webmaster;  a website so stunning in design yet informative and perfectly navigatable at the same time.

Star Trek Dimension - Archived on Bernd' EAS server, this website might very well still be the number one resource on Star Trek cartography.  Its design is lovely, though it shows it weaknesses in some areas.

Pedro's Shiporama - Not updated since 1998, this one has a large database on all the Starfleet starships that were known at the time, with information and photographs, though not a very remarkable design.  And it plays a Star Trek tune when you open the page!  That was considered "cool" at the time, mind you!   

Where No One Has Gone Before - With very little actual content on offer, besides a "Starship Survey" and an awards program, this website seemed to have relied mostly on its design which must have flabbergasted visitors at the time.

The Celestial Temple - A decent LCARS layout for 1999 with very little content.

McGuinness Rihannsu Page - A website about the Romulans as they were perceived in fandom before Star Trek: Nemesis and all.

Trekmania - Not updated since 2005, yet with lots of interesting stuff still available.

Please share your "good old Trek links" here!  ;)
FORGOTTEN TREK -- the Internet's treasure of behind the scenes Star Trek

Online Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Vintage Trek Sites
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »
StarFleet Military Reserves
It doesn't seem to have been updated since before 2000.  Some cool information, as well as some interesting ship and technology designs & concepts.  It's probably one of the first major efforts to develop a realistic military force within Starfleet (at least it was the first one that I became aware of) and definitely before the whole militarization of Starfleet became popular online.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 03:17:29 AM »
IZAN Homepage - The Races of TOS
It has been updated occasionally, but still shows the typical design of the year 1996.

Jason Hinson's Site - Subspace and warp drive theory
This started in the newsgroup era. Not updated in many years, but still a valid resource.

Sector 0-0-1 - Reference and images
I took a lot of stuff from here when I launched my own site.

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:12:47 AM »
Ah yes, Sector 0-0-1... I, too, took lots of images in particular from that site when I first began my own.  That one must have been around for ages.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:27:57 AM »
Ah yes, Sector 0-0-1... I, too, took lots of images in particular from that site when I first began my own.  That one must have been around for ages.

At least since 1996.

Offline Andromedes

• View Profile
    • Trekmania
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:13:31 PM »
Hi there, thought I'd drop in and say hello. Been a long time, Bernd how's it going?  :D

You're saying 'Andromedes', who the f* is he? A new name, I did go by the nick 'The Red Admiral' in various forums and 3d modelling circles, and of course at Trekmania which I still run. It's been a long time since I updated the site, with no new trek it's kind of hard to come up with anything worthwhile, except for 3d modelling, which I still dabble with from time to time. But for your info I still maintain the site, and how kind of you to have listed it here.

As a sidenote, for those who remember me and wondered why, after years of zealous involvement in the trek fan community I so completely disappeared, well, I guess it really was because of a 'lack of new Trek'. It was a general disillusionment i guess, and Enterprise never really did it for me. What have I been doing? Interest has not at all waned, nor has my involvement - to some degree. For the last 4 or 5 years I reckon it is, I've been heavily involved with the Star Trek gaming community, and particularly fan-made games. I'm involved with the development side of a couple of different titles now, that seek collectively to create an ambitious and long awaited successor to 'Birth of the Federation'. It's been a massive endeavour, with many hundreds around the world chipping in. But that's it in a nutshell. I haven't abandoned trek, and never will...

cheers
Aka The Red Admiral, mod from years ago, and webmaster of Trekmania.net

Offline Ottens

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Trek
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »
That's good to hear.  I believe I said, "welcome back" somewhere else, but I gladly repeat it here.  In spite of the lack of new Trek material out there---which is the most prominent reason for my own lack of updating too---I do hope that you might find some new stuff to add to Trekmania at some point.

Good to have you back!

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »
Welcome back!

You picked the right, speaking of vintage Trek sites. Any prospect of updates?

Offline Andromedes

• View Profile
    • Trekmania
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 03:15:59 PM »
Well mate, as soon as some new information is forthcoming regarding the new Trek movie, then it's quite possible. Like EAS Trekmania was geared mostly towards the investigative examination of Starfleet/The Federation as a military, space-faring body, so if there is any interesting new dainties involving 'ships', then I'll be all over it.

I really hope (really, really hope), that the Enterprise (thus the Constitution Class) is not completely reinvented - on the outside at least. The inside I imagine will be reworked to some degree, causing what I would like to coin a 'redundancy paradox' in DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations. But I think I could just about live with it.

Aka The Red Admiral, mod from years ago, and webmaster of Trekmania.net

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 04:04:32 AM »
OIn a side-note: Sector 001 is pending deletion. Really a shame...
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Nemesis

• Don't worry be happy
    • View Profile
    • Final Frontier Media
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 06:03:11 AM »
Well there are some more sites...

Like "The Ressikan Flute"

In my newsletter in 2006 I said the following about this website:
This is just a wonderful website. An hidden pearl on Internet. You just can find so much information about the music of Star Trek, really amazing. From Trek Composers, CD's, Episodes list and performers to Musical Trek actors and Higlights. You can find here some audio en music clips ready to download, this in combination with a lot of MIDI files gives this site some extra above everything else. Every subject is worked out perfectly and the information is very complete. The site is really easy to navigate to and the information is huge. A unique and wonderfull website, worth a visit.

unfortunately it's offline, because the owner didn't want another "not updated" website. It's sad, but it happens.

"Gods don't make mistakes. Though, sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to carry a tune"

Offline Nemesis

• Don't worry be happy
    • View Profile
    • Final Frontier Media
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 05:52:06 AM »
Another website which turn to black recently is Star Trek Voyager Info A site which was the last few months not really updates is now offline. Again a good site gone and the new movie did not bring a lot of new fans. I still see my amount of visitors dropping, but the people who are visiting, are visiting the site more often.

"Gods don't make mistakes. Though, sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to carry a tune"

Offline The_Captain

• Target their engines and fire!
    • View Profile
    • Semper Exploro: Phase II
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 09:38:12 AM »
Yeah, I know what a shame.. It says that she does not have time to maintain it anymore, which is plaguing many sites.

Sounds like the Goddamn Spanish Inquisition.. -Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV Star Trek: Phase II

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 04:29:13 AM »
In the spirit of a thread about old Trek sites I'm bringing back an old thread!

Mostly though I just don't get around to posting and checking threads like I use to.

I remember a few of these sites.  Back in 1998 when I made the FSD I used them as resources.  Pedro's Ship-o-Rama was a big one.  Eventually most of those low quality images were replaced with HD images from TrekCore.  Back then there was a number of multi-media sites... images, sounds, fonts, etc... in Trek's prime of the late 90s between the end of TNG, mid DS9 and early Voyager.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Online Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 09:18:30 AM »
I remember Pedro's Ship-o-Rama and Maximum Defiant, both of which were two of my favorites.  They were great sites back in the day when I was first getting into creating my own designs, and before the wealth of image sources that have bounced up now from the various magazines and blogs from the artists themselves that are fairly common now. 

I also have to wonder how much being able to run an image search has effected such sites.  I know personally, quite often I'll turn to google to try and find an image before trying to find it through a site dedicated to that particular subject.  I wonder how much this affected traffic to those sites, if at all.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 11:48:02 PM »
I also used Star Trek in Sound and Vision.  I hate having to use other sites for screen caps.  For the most part I did all my own images except for screen caps.  Or had Bernd scan stuff from issues of Star Trek: The Magazine I mailed to him.

Hopefully the Star Trek sequel will have plenty of starship stuff so I can actually add something to my site.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »
Google image search has affected my browsing behavior very much. I rather type what I'm looking for than browse an image gallery. On the other hand, with Google I just find what is accordingly labeled, and mostly stuff that is already well known. For the purpose of research the episode screen caps of Trekcore are far better than random results from Google. (And speaking of vintage sites, Trekcore probably has more than the old image sites from the year 2000 combined).