Author Topic: Favourite Character of the Star Wars universe?  (Read 17513 times)

Spock22

Favourite Character of the Star Wars universe?
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:34:37 AM »
Well, the forum has "favourite ship" and "favourite weapon" topics so i thought I'd start a character thread.
Jedi or bounty hunter? Stormtrooper or Droid? Tusken Raider or Gungan? What do you guys think?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Favourite Character of the Star Wars universe?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:47:16 PM »
Salacious B. Crumb...the most underrated character in the entire Star Wars universe.  He was unfortunately murdered by Luke Skywalker when the callous Jedi, slaughtered everyone aboard Jabba's Sail Barge.

May Salacious rest in peace.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:24:19 AM »
^^^You mean rest in pieces  8)
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Starbase-101

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 10:00:02 AM »
I know that I am not the only one who thinks this but my favorite character is Chewbacca.

"Let the Wookie win"

Offline Tyburn

• Prolific Member
  • Effing up the Ineffable plan since '75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:42:14 PM »
Wedge Antilles. One, he's a shit-hot pilot. Two, he's Dennis Lawson, uncle to Ewan MacGregor and Scottish to boot.
I'm getting to that stage in life where I want to find a nice little place, settle down and spend my declining days on my porch, shitting in my hand and throwing it at passing cars. Is that too much to ask?

Offline Hypaspist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:59:30 PM »
Obi Wan Kenobi by a mile or so.

Offline Rick King AIFD

• Veteran Member
  • official what-iffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »
BIB FORTUNA - The ultimate "Yes Man" and Jabba A$$ Kisser extraordinaire

........If I have failed, then I have failed while daring greatly, henceforth my place shall never be found amoung those timid souls who know not the thrill of victory or bitter defeat....

Offline Feynraith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 07:26:03 PM »
I agree with Tyburn funnily enough. Wedge Antilles is the shit. ;D

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 06:12:33 AM »
It would have to be, without a doubt, Han Solo. Part space cowboy, part pirate, and a total badass.

Offline Darkside

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 07:54:23 AM »
I agree, han solo

Offline Spock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:44:28 PM »
It would have to be, without a doubt, Han Solo. Part space cowboy, part pirate, and a total badass.
YUP he's my favorite,except for maybe Darth Vader!
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 06:47:17 PM »
Vader is cool, until one finds out he is a whiner in a shiny black suit.

Offline Rick King AIFD

• Veteran Member
  • official what-iffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 08:14:15 AM »
second favorite character would have to be old Palpatine himself........A sweet, old, grandfather kind of guy....hugging your neck and consoling you while slowly pushing the dagger in your back.
........If I have failed, then I have failed while daring greatly, henceforth my place shall never be found amoung those timid souls who know not the thrill of victory or bitter defeat....

Offline BlackWidow

• セクシーな事務局長
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 09:59:31 AM »
My favorite has also been Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader because he is such a tragic charcter. The Emperor was not a good person but if anyone is familiar with the stories where the Yuuzhan Vong invaded the galaxy they were too afraid to do that while the Emperor and the Empire was still in power so that kind of fear factor makes him pretty cool.

(~_o)

千に抗する強さの単独ライダー: ドラゴンの運命

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 06:00:02 PM »
Venerable R2-D2.   That Droid has seen more shit thrown at him than any other character in the SW Universe.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline DukeOfChaos

• The power of evil compels you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 10:42:35 PM »
NOT Luke; he was way too whiny. Hmmm…. *reach out with my feelings* I’m sensing, Lando! Lando Calrissian is my favorite character.

Offline Cleetus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 07:26:09 AM »
Jabba The Hutt.

Lightswitch?

Offline DukeOfChaos

• The power of evil compels you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »
ewww.... big slug gangster

Offline Cyril Keir

• Lord of Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 05:30:57 PM »
Lando was pretty pathetic tbh. He sold out his friends because he didn't want his financial ventures to end...

I'd say it'd have to be Anakin/Vader. After all, how many of us would go to immense extremes to save the one we love? Even if the images of his beloved's demise were wrought upon him falsely by the dark side, they were still real fears in his mind. I think in order to truly understand how someone would be willing to turn around and murder man, woman, and child in order to save just one, they would need to have loved as deeply as he was perceived as loving Padme.
--
Velvet drapes, glowing candles
Silent whispers of words inside of my head
The night that comes, it waits for me
Lift me to the ending of another day
I'm haunted

Offline Cleetus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »
I'd say it'd have to be Anakin/Vader. After all, how many of us would go to immense extremes to save the one we love? Even if the images of his beloved's demise were wrought upon him falsely by the dark side, they were still real fears in his mind. I think in order to truly understand how someone would be willing to turn around and murder man, woman, and child in order to save just one, they would need to have loved as deeply as he was perceived as loving Padme.

Really? You think Lucas did a good job of showing that those two actually passionately loved each other? I thought the whole thing was botched.
Lightswitch?

Offline Hypaspist

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 11:07:24 PM »
Lando was pretty pathetic tbh. He sold out his friends because he didn't want his financial ventures to end...

But to be fair, that's part of the appeal of all the Star Wars characters - they are deeply flawed.  The Jedi are the only apparent idealists in a cynical world where you either work for a corrupt system or are taken down by it....and what do they do?  Well they either work for it indirectly by doing nothing, or they give up and trust in prophecies or forlorn hopes.

It's the same reason we all thought Han Solo was the coolest thing ever when he blew Greedo's face off with a concealed weapon and saw the recut as lame:  He had more of a character when he was a rogue and a scoundrel than when he just become another George Lucas cookie-cutter paragon.

All the same I still think Obi Wan is my favorite character because he portrays that unstoppable hope that epitomizes the Jedi.  If there was a good thing about the prequels, it was that they portrayed the Jedi as being very less than perfect than how Obi Wan had described them.  Still his character was undiminished and that is a rare thing in movies these days.  Even if Lucas throws us dozens of perfect 'noble savage' type characters that we are all supposed to love, it doesn't take away from the original pure character. 
The awful Revenge of the Sith had almost no good lines except the ones Obi Wan gave.  It probably had more to do with Ewan McGregor's delivery and acting ability, but I think it also has to do with his template being done correctly the first time and not being altered dramatically in any story since.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 01:35:48 AM »

There was a little bit more to it than that, don't you think?

He had Star Destroyers in orbit that could blow away his city full of tens of thousands or more people (judging by the celebration scene at the end of RotJ:SE) at any moment, he had a garrison of Stormtroopers aboard, and he had a bounty hunter and a Sith Lord breathing down his neck. They told him - albeit lying, but he didn't know that - that his friends, Han and Chewie and anyone else with them, would be unharmed and left with him in exchange for handing over Luke, a person whom he didn't know and had no loyalty to.

The only reason Lando was even in this mess was because Han decided to go to his city while on the run from the Empire. He got dragged into the middle of their war against the Empire despite maintaining a low profile, by a "friend" who didn't trust him and hadn't been in contact for years, so he would be completely justified in being pissed about that if he was so inclined, but he wasn't. So I don't see what makes Lando pathetic or even that flawed for that matter, other than being an alcoholic who was addicted to Colt .45.

Who's his greater responsibility to, Han, some random Rebel named Luke, or the tens of thousands of lives and jobs he's responsible for as administrator of Cloud City, who were all put at risk because of Han's decision to go there? And what did he get in return for trying to rescue them from their predicament, sacrificing his city and business venture in the process? He got choked by Chewie and judged by Princess Bitchiness, who was willing to sacrifice her whole planet for the Rebel cause, need I remind you.

Yet, despite all of that, does Lando carry a grudge? Hell no. He immediately places his life at risk by infiltrating Jabba's palace to rescue Han (we know this because he's so friggin' badass that he lowers his visor right in the middle of Jabba's throne room for no apparent reason, almost as if he's being watched by an invisible audience of some kind). Then, honor satisfied, does he just leave to start a new business venture? Nope. He volunteers to deliver a Falcon Punch to the Death Star's uterus despite his ship clearly having too much girth to fit down its narrow vagina. All of this while suavely dressed like some kind of vampire pimp.

Pathetic? I think not. Talk to the hand.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 01:50:08 AM »
Clearly Boba (most awesome bounty hunter in the galaxy despite being offed by a blind guy and a fledgling pseudo-Jedi) Fett is the superior character and is NOT wanked out in any way shape or form.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »
So he had a jet pack. So did the Rocketeer. Boba Fett is the bounty hunting equivalent of Michael Bay: all style, no substance.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Cleetus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
My Top 5 Favourite Marginal Characters In Star Wars

1- Dak, because he said to Luke "I feel I could take on the whole Empire by myself".....then is killed by the Empire soon after. That's what he deserves for being so cocky.

2- The Imperial Minion who says "You Rebel Scum!" because he's right, they are rebels and scum.

3- The Poor Little Tortured Droid who says "No No.....ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" when his feet are burned, which is cruel and sadistic, but also hilarious.

4- The Red R-5 Unit Which Blows Up, Thus Allowing R2-D2 To Be Purchased By Uncle Owen, because I think the midichlorians in Luke's blood caused that droid to blow up, in order to ensure that R2 was purchased, which led to Luke cleaning him, which led to Luke discovering the message.....and such and such.

5- One Of The Guys Sitting In The Original Imperial Meeting On The First Death Star, because he's wearing a white uniform with white hair and a white moustache, which makes him very evil. He may as well be called Baron Von Evil or something.

Lightswitch?