Author Topic: Star Trek: The Complete Collection  (Read 6772 times)

Offline Admiral Ross

• Veteran Member
  • Token SCN Paleo-Con
    • View Profile
Star Trek: The Complete Collection
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:28:27 PM »
http://www.gitcorp.com/product.asp?specific=114 For 50 Dollars, you get a heck of a lot of content.  Mine was delivered from Amazon on Tuesday, and I've been perusing it ever since.  Right now I'm working my way through the first run of DC comics (taking place between ST II and IV) and having a blast.  These are stories I've heard about but haven't had the chance to read.

Also on the DVD are Marvel, Wildstorm, Image, and Gold Key comics, plus a ton of extras.  I started reading the early Gold Key comics, but they're real different from the show.  Interesting to read though.  I'm also gonna take a look at some of the graphic novels, like the recent Gorn Crisis as well as the classic Debt of Honor.

Highly recommended.  Although for me, tangibly possessing a book is a nice feature (I don't really do e-books) this is a great collection of very diverse and rare material that would be difficult to obtain and collect in one place.
“Fear God and Dread Nought”

- Motto of Admiral Sir John Fisher

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek: The Complete Collection
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:45:45 AM »
Wow, that's a good deal for a collection like that. Thanks for the tip.  :)

So, you're at the point where they're aboard the Excelsior then, carrying the BoP in the cargo bay?

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:07:04 AM »

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:28:03 AM »
carrying the BoP in the cargo bay?

!!!

Sorry, I meant to say shuttlebay, not that that makes it any better. But yeah, the entire time Kirk is in command of Excelsior, the Bird of Prey is parked in Excelsior's apparently massive shuttlebay. Earlier they towed it, but then they just brought it inside.

Plus, Spock recovers his memories, commands his own ship, and then loses them again from a virus in time to be in the condition he is for ST:IV.

I think (if they're still available) you can download three of the DC Comics issues a day from here:

http://www.wowio.com/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:32:59 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:44:05 AM »
Haha I know Trek has alwaysy been vague on BoP sizes but that's just crazy.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 09:45:14 PM »
I thought it was just grappled/tracotred in the aft undercut? And then somewhere along the way it was gotten rid of during the Mirror Saga...

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »
I thought it was just grappled/tracotred in the aft undercut? And then somewhere along the way it was gotten rid of during the Mirror Saga...

No. Like I said above, at first Styles tractored it in and strapped it underneath, then when Kirk got command of Excelsior after leaking the fact that he saved our universe from a MU invasion to a reporter, thus forcing Starfleet not to Court Martial him, he moved the BoP inside the shuttlebay. They couldn't get rid of it because they needed the BoP to show up for ST:IV.

Star Trek 35
February 1987
The Doomsday Bug! Chapter Two: Stand-Off!
Len Wein: writer
SD 8907.5
Captured bird-of-prey in Excelsior shuttle deck

http://www.geocities.com/grethor_detlholqu/com03st.htm

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 03:57:03 AM »
So, they were being TARDIS-ish back then.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:00:18 AM »
No, just tardish.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »
Ross,

You are really gonna enjoy "Debt of Honor." It sorta ties a certain "post-event" element with Star Trek I-IV, which has its origin with some of the background material from TOS Ep "Obssession."

And it kinda gives a hint as to whether or not Kirk had any other kids besides David Marcus...

;)

As to the Klingon BoP thing...wow...here I thought that I was the only one to REMEMBER that stuff!

:D

I should have known better.

8)

One of my favorite stories from that run was where Kirk comes back from the Mirror Universe and an Andorian News Reporter basically saves his ass from courtmartial due to her story on his exploits.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk