Author Topic: Is the Luna-class canon?  (Read 17464 times)

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Is the Luna-class canon?
« on: October 02, 2008, 07:02:55 PM »
Might be sorta the wrong board for this, but can the Luna-class be considered canon?

I'm wondering this out of curiosity, and the fact that it is absent from the go-to online Trek resources.  The Titan is obviously canon, but its class and specifics were never established in a canon source; all it got was a brief mention in NEM.  Since the chances of new TNG movies (or canon material, period) are about nil, all we 'know' is that Riker and Troi are aboard Titan.  The novels fill in the rest, which is a somewhat unique situation among ship classes.

In this instance, can the Luna-class, and its details (registries, specs, ships of class, etc) be considered canon, based on the high likelihood that there will never be contradictory canon material?  Does the fact that it is part of a new, relatively large body of work (its own series, plus the Destiny series) lend it any more credibility?

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Luna-class canon?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:26:30 PM »
No, it's not.  The novels don't count as canon.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:48 AM »
Every aspect of the Luna class is non-canon. Only the ship called "Titan", with an unknown class name, is canon.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 12:34:31 PM »
Yes, it has to actually appear/be mentioned on screen to be considered canon.
And even then, *ONLY* what appears/is mentioned is canon.  Even if something else later expands on what was said/shown, that expansion is not considered canon.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 02:08:57 PM »
I hope not.  No offense to the creator/designer/artist because the artwork is very good, but the design is horrible.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline MageGrayWolf

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • JKcoder
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »
I remember we had the designer on here posting some nice MU stuff a while back.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 04:27:34 AM »
stourangeau has created wonderful stuff from ships to uniforms and characters. I don't think the Titan is his best design. At least, I always imagine that with a few tweaks it could look better.

Offline jgallaway81

• View Profile
    • The A&A Archives
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 07:45:24 AM »
I dislike the nacelle design... it just doesn't go with the class.

But, having said that... I couldn't do any better, or I would have, lol. No offense to Sean, but he did the same thing we all would have done... designed something as he would like to see in Star Trek if he had a hand in creating a canon ship class.

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »
*shrugs* I'm not really caring about the Luna either, there's a ton of people who have offered their services to Sean (if they're not drooling -or puking- over the design) to help him design ships a little better so that they are a bit more pleasing to the eye (his impulse engine designs instantly comes to mind), but if he doesn't want to accept that help because he thinks his solution is the best that's his call.
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Galen

• View Profile
    • Galen's Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »
Definetly not canon, though some novels are considered Canon in Trek Lore. Some of the Voyager novels for instance. As for the Luna, Its a nice effort, but surely could have been better.
http://galen82.deviantart.com/
Check out my site and leave some comments :)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »
Definetly not canon, though some novels are considered Canon in Trek Lore. Some of the Voyager novels for instance.

Not anymore. Once Jeri Taylor left as the EP of Voyager, they started contradicting those books pretty quickly. It's canonicity only lasts so long as there's someone there to enforce it.

Offline The_Captain

• Target their engines and fire!
    • View Profile
    • Semper Exploro: Phase II
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 05:04:37 PM »
Definatly non-canon, though it would be nice if there was a new series with the Titan to see if the writers of the show call it a "Luna Class Vessel".

Sounds like the Goddamn Spanish Inquisition.. -Dr. McCoy, Star Trek IV Star Trek: Phase II

Offline masterarminas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 01:56:05 PM »
I dislike the nacelle design... it just doesn't go with the class.

But, having said that... I couldn't do any better, or I would have, lol. No offense to Sean, but he did the same thing we all would have done... designed something as he would like to see in Star Trek if he had a hand in creating a canon ship class.

I really like the looks of the Luna-class.  And frankly, I consider it a far better ship than the Prometheus-class 'multi-attack vector' abomination.  <Shudder>  The nacelles (and roll-bar) is what did it for me.  I like the look of the angled nacelles, and their length.  I don't normally care for 'snub-nosed' nacelles like the Intrepids carry.  But maybe that is just me.

Master Arminas

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »
I like most of the Luna, I do not like the placement of the rollbar/sensor/weapon pod though.  It looks like it was just tacked on without much thought.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
Please don't comment in threads that are over three years old, especially when you really don't add anything to the topic. Consider this is warning masterarminas.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:56 AM »
Please don't comment in threads that are over three years old, especially when you really don't add anything to the topic. Consider this is warning masterarminas.
Dude, with how freaking dead this place is, we should be happy to get commenters at all.

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
Also, I agree with him about the Promethius class.
Steady on.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »
Dude, with how freaking dead this place is, we should be happy to get commenters at all.

I would rather see someone post a new thread, something with a little more substance. No offence but I dont care if there are less posts if the ones that actually do show up have a little more thought and actually generate some conversation or make people THINK about how they would respond.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Cush

• "I am my own beginning, my own ending."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 12:18:40 PM »
I think the Luna-class is OK looking. Decent nacelle placement. OK hull shapes. Worst party is the silly elevated sensor-pod.

Offline Starlost

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »
 :-*  I am still posting too since everything is slow and this is a semi-running thread......

The Luna Class is NOT cannon, but the design does meet the cannon requirements.  The Name of the ship Titan is cannon.  Do they ever mention what class it is while Riker is getting things figured out?  New or Old?
Life is a sexually transmitted social disease

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 10:11:23 PM »
Canon not cannon.  :P

Anywho... All we ever heard about the Titan was it's name.  Until we hear otherwise, the Luna-class is not canon and the Titan is of an unknown class.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Starlost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 07:16:13 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too.   I am surprised that studios haven't decided to take some of the fan-flicks into the plotlines.  There is so much good stuff out there that with some resources and polishing would make awesome films.  Branches from the main series yet supporting it like Marvel is doing.
Life is a sexually transmitted social disease

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
Legal issues would most likely put a stop to that, in more ways than one, if they tried.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline JES

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 08:20:37 PM »
 Well, I consider the Luna class to be semi-canon.

In that there is going to be a hell of a back-lash from fandom, if say, Paramount were to have the Titan appear on screen, and not have her be a Luna class.

Sean's design might not be the best aesthetically like the Sovereign, and she might not have a sculpted look like the Galaxy, but she does translate well into 3D.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
Since Paramount has the movie rights and is doing the Abramsverse movies, it seems more likely CBS (who has the rest of the Star Trek rights as I understand it) would be the one to have the Titan appear on screen. 

Of course, that brings to mind if Paramount does decide to make a Primeverse movie, can they use the Luna-class if CBS has the rights to it?  Would they have to make the Titan a different design to avoid legal issues/paying CBS money for using the design?  Or are the rights written such that CBS and Paramount have joint ownership of the Star Trek IP, but Paramount can only make movies while CBS can do everything else?  :-\

Personally, I doubt I'd care enough to complain if the Titan appeared as something other than the Luna-class, and on the flip side I wouldn't be bothered if the Titan does appear on screen as a Luna-class.  It would probably just be easier for CBS/Paramount to use the Luna-class as the Titan rather than coming up with a new design.  (It's along this line that the Titan in its brief appearance in my fan-fic (Star Trek: Frontlines) is a Luna-class.  It's easier than trying to come up with a different design, and the fanbase expects the Titan to be a Luna-class.)
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”