Author Topic: Clone Wars Series  (Read 28303 times)

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
Clone Wars Series
« on: October 04, 2008, 04:55:47 AM »
I don't know how many of you caught it, but the 'Clone Wars' series began Friday night on Cartoon Network. The surprising thing about it is, it was actually pretty damn good, and a definite improvement over the film.

The first episode, 'Ambush,' featured Master Yoda on the way to Toydaria (Watto's homeworld) to negotiate the presence of a Republic military base on the planet. Dooku sends Ventress in beforehand to convince the Toydarian king to join the Separatist cause instead, and sets up an ambush for Yoda's incoming diplomatic ship. Yoda reaches the surface in an escape pod and the rest of the episode revolves around him and his small team of Clonetroopers having to take on an entire battalion of battledroids and vehicles in order to prove that the Jedi and clones can adequately protect the planet from the Separatists if they allow a Republic base there.

Yoda was freakin' awesome in this episode, and combined the best of badass warrior Yoda from the Prequels with philosophical yet constantly joking Yoda from TESB. He has a genuinely moving talk with the Clonetroopers while they're hiding in a cave - they think there's nothing unique or special about themselves, and Yoda points out their individual qualities and what makes them unique in the Force. They then proceed to take down the vastly superior in numbers droid forces with wit and Yoda busting out some Tasmanian Devil action.

The droids were annoying and overly slapstick as usual, but there were a couple of funny moments.

The second episode, 'Rising Malevolence,' deals with a new Separatist weapon commanded by General Grievous, a massive ion cannon mounted on a ship that disables the shields and systems of entire Republic fleets so they can be easily mopped up by droid forces. Master Plo Koon and his fleet are dispatched to find the mystery weapon and destroy it if possible, but the three cruisers in the fleet are ambushed themselves and destroyed completely, with only a few survivors (including Plo and three clones) making it out in a few escape pods. The Separatists, not wanting to leave any survivors, send out hunter-killer units to find the remaining life pods hidden among the debris and destroy them.

There are some surprisingly brutal scenes of droids ripping open lifepod with glee and exposing the clones inside to vacuum, so they're not pulling any punches on this one.

Again the Clonetroopers get some great character development when they believe that no one will come back for them because they're just clones and they're expendable, but Master Plo reassures them that they are not expendable to him and they do whatever it takes to stay alive, including going on a spacewalk (in suits) to fight the droids when a hunter-killer finds them.

They hold out long enough for Anikan and Ashoka to violate their orders and come to rescue them in their ship that they acquired in the movie. They've done something here that the Prequels failed utterly to do, which is to make Anakin actually come off as a wise, non-whiny, very mature character. He and Ashoka, who's not annoying in this one at all, actually make quite a good team and complement each other well.

I also liked the development of Plo Koon, who's one of the cooler Jedi in my opinion after this episode.

If the episodes can keep up to this high standard, I actually think the series will be quite good.

Here are some links to watch it at if you guys missed it:
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/television/Star_Wars_The_Clone_Wars_2008.html

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Series
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 07:33:54 AM »
Will this show have a set time slot and night?

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 08:33:12 AM »
Friday night at 9 PM (for all time zones) on Cartoon Network.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »
Thanks for the info, sounds like it may have some promise.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 06:33:11 PM »
The Clone Wars proves that when it comes down to it, you best have fucking Yoda on your side in a fight. That little sumbitch wipes the floor with almost everyone and takes out several tanks, too.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline The Third Revelation

• I've got two words for you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »
Is the chronology of this series before or after the recent movie?
"Does it make you happy? You're so stra-a-ange."

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:22:38 PM »

After Episode II, yet before Episode III.

Scary is the fact that it takes place before/in/swirled all around Clone Wars Animated Series.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline mdtillard

• Darth Apocalypse, Sith Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace Page
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:06:38 AM »
Its after the movie, because in the movie Anikin got both Asoka as his padawan and that ship that he uses in the movie.
Executor class Star Dreadnaught, 17.6km keel
x class Star Battleship, 12.8km keel
y class Star Battlecruiser, 8km keel
z class Star Cruiser, 2.2km keel
Imperator class Star Destroyer, 1.6km keel

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
That first episode wasnt actually that bad.

But what in all that is holy is going through George Lucas's mind when he ok's the truly awful droid-idiot-speak??? Why does he persist with this? And its getting worse - droids that will ram their tanks through an opening like idiots, droids who dont know what a high profile target like Yoda looks like etc etc...sigh....

Seriously George, leave the droid comedy to 3PO, R2 and those funny little mouse droids that roll around the Death Star. Please.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 07:58:43 AM »
Am I the only one that didn't get a clone wars ep friday? All I got was a couple hours of UFC.

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 12:56:08 AM »
I just watch them online. Go to the link I posted in the first post.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 07:22:19 AM »

After Episode II, yet before Episode III.

Scary is the fact that it takes place before/in/swirled all around Clone Wars Animated Series.

So i take it that means Asuka will die in order to bring about Anakin's downfall?
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »
Or otherwise disappear in some manor.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »
Since there is no mention of her in Episode III or the Clone Wars II Animated series (in which the last episode that leads DIRECTLY into the opening sequence of Episode III where Anakin and Obi-Wan fly their fighters during the Battle of Coruscant) something will happen to her that takes her "out of the storyline" so to speak.

I try not to dwell on such things while watching these new stories.

On another note in regards to the recent episode, I kind a found it interesting that they show the Y-Wing fighters fully armored as they originally appeared.

From what we saw in Episode IV and after, the Y-Wing fighters were said to be de-armored to save on its weight and to be more easily maintained, which is why certain spots of that class have greebles and other exposed stuff on its hull.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 07:34:55 PM »
Depending on what you read, the panelling Y-Wings originally were sheathed in was just too time consuming to remove each time the maintenance heavy craft needed work.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 08:17:12 AM »
Seriously...those fucking droids...

What is with Anakin being called by the rank of Master, which is explicitly covered in Ep3 and one of his contributing factors towards being a sulky bitch? (I haent seen the Clone Wars moive length ep yet BTW if this is covered in that).

Also, I cant quite develop a tolerance for Anakin being all 'patience this' & 'patience that' towards his padawan, or having a padawan in general. I dunno, it just doesnt seem very...Anakin...although I suppose this could change.

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »
I think master is being used in the teacher sense.

--Dark Moose

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 02:17:03 AM »
Yes, there are two meanings of the term "Master." One is a Jedi who is instructing a Padawan, like Anakin is with Asokha. She will call him master as will other Jedi in her presence as a sign of respect and to show proper discipline to the student. The other version of Master is the highest rank attainable in the Jedi Order, and the rank which Anakin was angry he hadn't been given when he was appointed to the Jedi Council.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 05:25:33 PM »
Hmm that was fun.
The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever. ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »

Here are some links to watch it at if you guys missed it:
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/television/Star_Wars_The_Clone_Wars_2008.html

Link doesn't work anymore. All i get is: 404.
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 06:55:11 AM »
So go to Google, type in Surf the Channel Clone Wars (all that information is provided right in the link), and look at that:

http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/60625.html

C'mon man, I know you know how to use the internet.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 08:14:59 AM »
Yea, your right. My Bad.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 03:08:05 AM »
Friday night's episode, 'Cloak of Darkness,' was awesome, and I think my new favorite of the series so far. They had a full-on lightsaber battles with Ventress vs. Clonetroopers, Ventress vs Ashoka, Ventress vs. Luminara Unduli, and then Ventress vs. both Unduli and Ashoka, the latter three occupying at least 15 minutes and rivaling some of the fights of the films. 

I love that they're not pulling any punches; Ventress decapitated a clonetrooper and stabbed another guy through the heart for pissing her off.

The fiery backdrop of the destroyed engine room really set the tone, and reminded you of the fight on Mustafar in RotJ. Plus there was plenty of stuff lying around for them to Force throw at each other. The trash talking between the Jedi and Ventress was great, and the way Luminara turned her disadvantage with her damaged eye around by pissing off Ventress was cool. Even Nute Gunray managed to get in some funny remarks.

Some nice voice acting in this episode, with the sultry Olivia D'Abo as Luminara and James Marsters as the Senate Trooper. Next week Seth Green plays Kit Fisto as he and some clonetroopers raid the lair of Grievous.

I continue to remain impressed by the ongoing quality of this series. Hell, they even managed to make the Jar Jar-centric episode fairly entertaining. Anyone who's missing this because they are burned out on the Clone Wars era or because they didn't care for the Lucas-involved Clone Wars movie should really give it another chance, because it's been highly enjoyable.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:15:20 AM by Bond, James Bond »

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 12:28:55 PM »
^Yeah I actually caught that on Friday as well. The duel scene was awesome.

And I agree that the eps are actually well written!

I think a lot of people may be turned off by it being a "kiddie cartoon show" (which is not true) but the actual story they are presenting keeps ya interested!

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 01:24:49 AM »
I just hope that when (and if) the live action series gets on the air George Lucas takes a similar hands-off policy (he wants to do the pilot though, IIRC). It's sad to say, but a lot of the people around him seem to "get it" more than he does at this point.

Someone over at TrekBBS said that they heard a rumor that an older Ashoka (late-teens / early 20s maybe) might actually appear in the live-action series, hence her introduction and set-up here. I don't know how true those rumors are, but that would make for some interesting drama with Anakin hunting her and the other surviving Jedi down. If true, she's either assigned elsewhere or apprenticing under another Jedi during RotS.