Author Topic: Clone Wars Series  (Read 28308 times)

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Series
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
^ If that does turn out to be true, then I'm glad that Ashoka will have a history post Ep III.

I have actually grown fond of her character, and I really hope that the other rumor I heard that she will be offed is just speculation.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 03:12:49 PM »
James Marsters as the Senate Trooper.

Am I the only one that thought the trooper looked earily like Marsters?
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 04:53:41 AM »
Yeah, he did a little bit (well, as much as those bizarre facial designs allow). I'm sure that was intentional.

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »
but that would make for some interesting drama with Anakin hunting her and the other surviving Jedi down. If true, she's either assigned elsewhere or apprenticing under another Jedi during RotS.

That would be awesome but hasnt our Imperious Leader (aka Mr Lucas) already stated that we will not be seeing Vader or any other 'big names' in the live series? Which I consider to be a fucking awful decision...

We should get at least one episode of Vader being a total badass...I was really expecting to see Vader let rip at the end of Ep3...but we got fuck all. Given how they reformed the lightsaber combat for the prequels I was sure we were going to see Vader in his prime open up a can of woop-ass on someone. Shows what I know I guess.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 10:36:09 AM »
He said no Vader at all? I didn't expect him to be a frequent supporting character, but I though he might put in an appearance or two for an important episode. Well, that fucking blows. It's a tall guy in a suit, you can get anyone to play that role, and shit, James Earl Jones' voice is pretty easy to imitate. I do a fair imitation myself.

Offline Glory to the Dominion

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »
He said no Vader at all? I didn't expect him to be a frequent supporting character, but I though he might put in an appearance or two for an important episode. Well, that fucking blows. It's a tall guy in a suit, you can get anyone to play that role, and shit, James Earl Jones' voice is pretty easy to imitate. I do a fair imitation myself.

Acording to the mighty wikipedia, the messages are as expected a tad confusing, some parts suggesting 'cameos' but towards the end of the page GL has apparently stated that Palpatine, Vader and Jedis will be heard about & not seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_wars_tv_series

As you say, fucking blows.

Lets just pray that such early talk doesnt come to pass. But given the continued existence of (insert typical rant on moronic battle-droid speak) in Lucas productions, it still seems horrid ideas are still filtering into his work.

I personally dont really give a toss about Bounty Hunters, all I want is the formation of the rebellion, perhaps lets see some stuff from The Force Unleashed and the Empire being complete bastards  ;D

How good would Jedi on the run, in new BSG stylee be? Perhaps only a small arc here and there but capturing the essence of being hounded to the point of extinction by an overpowering enemy. It worked really well on BSG, it could easily transition into the wars universe. Fuck it, get Ron Moore on the phone, he'll sort these wankers out!

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 03:07:51 AM »
Depending on the audience, perhaps some of the more prominent characters may end up getting written in. I would think that the average fan expects to see Vader and perhaps other major characters. People who aren't big into the many facets of Star Wars might not tune in to a show like this without characters they are familiar with.

I would also think that this might affect the ratings, in the long term, and force them to rethink the nature of the series. I, for one, would like to see what might happen, as stated in the previous post, as to how the Rebellion began. It might also be interesting to get some backstory on the younger Han Solo and Lando Calrissian.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 04:59:16 AM »
They could never show Vader again, and I'd live the rest of my life perfectly content.  As I've said before, they really need to move past the Skywalkers already.  So the more they steer clear of the established characters, (and that whole general time period) the better the series will be and the more likely I am to tune in.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 07:54:29 AM »
To show the Jedi Purge without Vader - its chief agent - involved is kind of pointless. A lot of it can be handled with bounty hunters and Stormtroopers, but you'd figure Vader should show up to deal with the most talented Jedi, at least.

Offline DarkShinobi

• Eminent Member
  • Oderint dum metuant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 01:28:47 PM »
This comic book gives an idea of what the Jedi Purge was all about actually. Apparently, according to this story, Vader wasn't the "big bad ass" we thought him to be but instead a figurehead for Palpatine's manipulations.

Which kinda sorta makes sense...

Fron a certain point of view.

"You have always had a hard time finding your place in this world, haven't you? Never knowing your true worth? You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Now you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special?"    - Christopher Pike speaking to a young James T. Kirk

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Series *Spoilers*
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 09:39:52 PM »
George Takei To Voice Character In ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’  December 15, 2008
by John Tenuto , Filed under: CelebWatch, Sci-Fi, TOS , trackback

It had to eventually happen. Star Wars and Star Trek’s histories have been intertwined from the beginning, and now George Takei will be the first Star Trek main cast actor to appear in a George Lucas Star Wars production, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon version which has brought in nearly 20 million viewers for its first few episodes on the Cartoon Network.

The December 15th issue of TV Guide has a preview of science fiction shows for 2009, and the article reveals that Takei will play a Neimodian scientist(Neimodian…Nimoydian? Nah….) in two episodes of Clone Wars set for January 16 and 23. Takei will voice Lok Durd who creates a type of nuclear weapon that can destroy biological forms and leave technology unscathed, and who is planning to test it on a planet populated by the pacifist and gentle Lurmens (almost sounds like Star Trek: Insurrection). Jedi Anakin Skywalker and his padawan Ashoka must stop Lok Durd.

Lok Durd from "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," to be voiced by Star Trek’s George Takei

Star Wars: The Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni talked about the theme of the episode, saying:

These episodes raise a very interesting question about the Jedi: Can they still be considered keepers of the peace now that they are soldiers in war?

The themes of the episodes are reminiscent of some of the same kinds of notions explored in Star Trek episodes, specially from the effects of war on soldiers and civilians. Considering Takei’s experiences during World War II chronicled in his excellent biography To The Stars, it should be interesting to see what he brings to the role of Lok Durd whose character reminds of WWII atomic science.

More on Star Wars: The Clone Wars at the official Cartoon Network site.

The Two Star Franchises
Star Wars and Star Trek have often been connected, sometimes tangentially, sometimes directly. For example, the return of Star Trek as a motion picture in 1979 instead of a television show has been well documented, with agreement that it was the success of Star Wars in 1977 that inspired Paramount executives to decide on a feature film version. Most of the Star Trek feature films, and some of the scenes of the Star Trek: The Next Generation "Encounter at Farpoint" premiere, have effects from George Lucas’s Industrial Light & Magic Company (prompting the inclusion of ILM in the credits of years of TNG episodes). More recently, George Lucas praised Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry for creating an entertainment which teaches moral lessons, when interviewed for Rod Roddenberry’s documentary Trek Nation (see clip). And, of course, Lucas and JJ Abrams were seen dinning together about a year ago, causing fans to wonder what they were discussing.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/15/george-takei-to-voice-character-in-star-wars-the-clone-wars/

Awesome, and villian to boot. 

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:41:39 PM by White Wolf »
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »
Wow, he's voicing a bad Asian stereotype fat ass alien whose name rhymes with "cock turd."

Next month, William Shatner portrays Stiki Taynt, the flying Jewish stereotype alien with big nose.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 09:51:12 AM »
Could be worse, Bond.  Lucas could get one of folks from Star Trek: New Voyage/Phase2 or whatever the hell they call it to play, Cock Turd.  ;)
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »
Kudos to George Takei for his career renaissance of late, but couldn't they have given him a villain who looks at least vaguely badass?

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 10:10:50 PM »
Just saw Blue Shadow Virus and thing bothers me.  Why must Evil Mad Scientist sound like their from Germany?

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 01:18:59 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty annoying. Not just the ridiculously stereotypical German accent, but everything he said and his stupid laugh as well.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 03:17:04 AM »
Last Friday's episode leading into a three-episode arc closing out the season about the rescue of Ryloth from the Separatists was pretty good, though having Ahsoka leading an entire combat squadron is really stretching credibility, as was the fact that there was only one living being in charge of the entire Separatist fleet, and the rest are commanded by idiot battledroids.

That being said, the action sequences were particularly well done, and I liked the use of tactics like turning the underside of the ship towards the enemy instead of it just being a straight-up shoot-out. 

Offline GStone

• Veteran Member
  • Undercover in Culture space
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »
I found it 'eh'. The 'turn and absorb the impact' move was fine, but it seems like something a more seasoned space fighter would have come up with.
Leader of the Pro-Trek/Anti-The Culture movement

'Attack of the Clones: For some reason I can make it to Anakin's cringe-worthy lovey-dovey lines on Naboo, but I can't get to the choice bits with ..you know...the actual Attack of the Clones. As far as I know, the movie should have been called "Episode II: I Hate Sand." '

--Dark Moose

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 01:17:55 PM »
Just watched Clone's Brain Invaders, the third episode of the Geonosis' arc.   Looks like Anakin is slipping into the dark side of the force with his force choking of Poggle. Could this mean he will lose Ahsoka Tano in the series future?  Either by Death or they go their separate ways?

It was good too see Ahsoka Tano shine in this Ep. I like how she's taking Anakin lessons to heart while find her own path, such sparing Barriss Offee's  life when she wanted to die.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »
Update: Anyone still watch this awesome series or grown weary of it? I noticed no one has posted in here since  Dec 2009.

Offline Bond, James Bond

• Administrator
  • Minor Board Deity
  • Licensed to Ban
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »
I've been watching. The Boba Fett/bounty hunters trilogy at the end of the season was excellent. The show continues to be entertaining and a quality addition to the Star Wars universe, even when it occasionally causes some canon hiccups.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
I've been watching. The Boba Fett/bounty hunters trilogy at the end of the season was excellent. The show continues to be entertaining and a quality addition to the Star Wars universe, even when it occasionally causes some canon hiccups.

Yeah, it was great. I just wish they had made Boba a tad more bloodthirsty.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 11:28:04 AM »
The Clone Wars: Season Three Revealed

August 15, 2010

By Pete Vilmur

On Saturday and Sunday at Celebration V's Digital Stage, Clone Wars Supervising Director Dave Filoni and CG Supervisor Joel Aron talked up Season 3 of The Clone Wars to a packed house. Host Dave Collins moderated a discussion of what's to come this fall, with new characters, new planets, new stories, and a stepped-up look that keeps getting better with each new season.

Oh, and there were sneak peeks. Lots of them.

Here's a few of the subjects covered in the two panels:

New Look:

Aron: "We knew we were going to Kamino towards the end of Season 2 so we really had to develop water. Coming off of Season 2 we knew there was a benchmark that we hit and going into Season 3 we knew we had to take it up a notch. All you guys will see at the start of Season 3 it's a completely different looking show. It's much more rich, and the demands that came from Dave and George we were able to exceed.

"The first demand was water...we had to make it simple enough so we could craft it. We actually painted the water. A lot of the destruction, also, we decided to take to another level. Instead of things just blowing up, we tried to make it more cinematic, more powerful, because you can't just do a big sound cue and have a little explosion. We really had to up it a bit."

Clones  

Filoni: "I think for us and the clones, they've become a really big part of the series besides the Jedi, who can sometimes be hard to relate to because they have such powers that we put them on a different level. When we did the episode "Rookies" in Season 1, we learned that people love the clones -- they love Captain Rex, they love Commander Cody. So we've developed more stories just around those guys.

"The beginning of Season 3 focuses on the clones -- on their training, the training facilities, who trains them... We bring in Shaak Ti, and I think that was really important for everybody. We hadn't done that before because we didn't want kids to get confused between Ahsoka and Shaak Ti. At the end of the day I think what you'll see with the clones is that, you know, Captain Rex is different than Cody -- they think differently, they act differently, even though they're clones, they're very different individuals...We get more personal with these guys, and get into some interesting questions, like are all the clones troopers effective when they're grown in all these vats?

Savage Oppress

Filoni: "It's important that when creating a new character that they become iconic. It was important that you don't confuse him with Darth Maul -- we couldn't make him red and black so we made him yellow and black."

Aron: "This whole arc was really a challenge for us. I kind of took liberty with him in anything that he did in trying to get it more cinematic, more active when he fought. Just tricks to get your heartrate up so when you watch, you'll actually have an emotional reaction to him or feel fear. So I think the look was there already, but I always made sure he was lit in a way that was menacing -- there's no nice lighting to him. I always wanted him to be either in shadow or silhouette.

"With Savage Oppress, you really needed to keep your eye on him. There's reasons to stay focused on him. Because of that, we've let the animators go the extra mile on facial expressions with him, so that when you do hear him speak, you pay attention. In Season 3, we re-did a lot of our facial rigs, to talk technically, so the animators now have a lot of freedom for getting emotion and expression. You don't see wooden characters anymore and that's a big leap for our show."

Asajj Ventress

Filoni: "We get into her backstory. We get into who she was and what happened to her and why she's the way she is."

"She's had a bad war so far. She's fighting for respectability. I feel bad for her. Dooku keeps stringing her along, and like George said, there can only be two [master and apprentice], she's like the third wheel that Sidious barely recognizes but he's content with her as long as she's out there killing Jedi and serving his war purpose. But if ever she were to become powerful enough to give Sidious the idea that she might be a threat, it could go badly for her. So I don't know what I'm foreshadowing, but...

"Her life at the beginning of the season and her life at the end of the season will be drastically different."

Dathomir and Mother Talsain

Filoni: "We have a saying on Clone Wars that nothing that's ever been developed for Star Wars by George is ever going to go away. I think Iain McCaig [inspired the Mother Talsain] design that's famously from The Phantom Menace when they were developing the Darth Maul character. The idea of these Sith witches has been around in Star Wars folklore, and in a meeting George started to get extensively into these witches one day -- that's always an awesome day."

Aron: "Dathomir was a planet I'd never been to before...and this arc was very important because we really need to feel like we're going someplace, we really wanted to know that witches live there. The planet should look alive or controlled by witches. You'll see when you watch these episodes that the smoke has life. It's very similar to Mother Talsain's cape -- when we first talked about the design I thought it would be really cool to have Mother Talsain just constantly have her robe like silk underwater."

Filoni: "I wanted the surface of the planet to look like all these rib cages and bones coming up out of the ground in a mist layer and when you got down beneath that there was a lot less light and it's foggy. You're not necessarily going to go visit a happy group of people here -- it's stark and it's red and it's very aggressive."

Nightsisters of Dathomir

Filoni: "According to George, they're not necessarily Force-wielders. They're something else. When you think of the universe as a whole, the Force has manifested itself in many different ways in many different cultures and with the witches it's more of a witchcraft thing. They have different powers. They have different things they do that neither a Sith or a Jedi does. And to give you a further bit of foreshadowing, we really get into this whole balance of the Force thing this year in a very big direct way. The whole 'Anakin, you are the chosen one' is going to come up, and that's very exciting too."

Count Dooku

Filoni: "With Dooku, he's Darth Tyrannus and he's count Dooku. When he's running the Separatist Parliament he's saying, 'Don't worry, everything's fine, the war is going well.' When he's off in battle he's choking people and is being really mean -- and that's Darth Sidious too -- Dooku learns from his master.

"Dooku's an interesting character to have because he's part of a massive deception going on. And we get into explaining that deception in Season 3 on multiple levels. Levels you need to understand how the Jedi fall -- they fall politically, they fall emotionally, they lose their ethics in fighting this war. You need to understand all those things. It's all in Revenge of the Sith -- it's just that now George is taking the time through his series to explain it in a lot more detail so that you'll see all the elements of the fall spread out over a greater period of time."

And a few more things:

•Aquadroids will be introduced in Season 3 -- "Jules Verne-like" crafts with tentacles used for underwater attack on Kamino.

•The Trident Drill ships seen in the attack on Kamino clips appear to be based on the Trident ships from Episode III.

•Lucas' daughter Katie extensively researched the Expanded Universe when writing the set of scripts for the Ventress story arc.

•Bounty hunter Embo, who was introduced in the Season 2 episode "Bounty Hunters", appears briefly in a shot in the Season 3 "mega-trailer" shown at the end of the panel.
Also make sure to check out a short video of this panel posted

http://www.starwars.com/fans/events/clone_wars_season_3_revealed/index.html

Wow Clone Wars Season 3 has me stoked.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:31:47 AM by White Wolf »

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 11:44:39 AM »
Savage Opress? Fucking seriously?
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »
*Shrugs* Its Star Wars. Go figure.