Author Topic: General Purpose Video Game Thread  (Read 84942 times)

Offline The Third Revelation

• I've got two words for you...
    • View Profile
General Purpose Video Game Thread
« on: October 22, 2008, 04:16:06 AM »
I picked up Far Cry 2 and Midnight Club: LA --

FC2 is just insane -- I couldn't get into the first one, but it didn't take me long to get immersed in this;  total mayhem  and the landscape is just massive.

MC:LA, visually stunning, but very tough for an arcade racer - played it for 1/2 hour and only won one race.
"Does it make you happy? You're so stra-a-ange."

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: General Purpose Video Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »
I'm not sure when this was released, but I just saw it today.

Gears of War 2: Last Day

Awesome, powerful....very cool, and better then the Mad World trailer from the first game.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 03:06:58 PM »
I still like the Mad World trailer best, followed by the remix someone made using "One".
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »
I prefer "Mad World" too.

Gears2 has been hyped up to such an extent that if it's incapable of cooking breakfast, it's gonna suck.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 04:55:50 PM »
I think the trailer for Gears2 is a better trailer as it imparts a feeling of an epic, heroic, suicidal storming of the enemy stronghold about to happen.  But the song is ass.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:39:53 PM »
<approve>
Life is always better with some Muse.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 02:43:01 AM »
LOL! I just saw a Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe video, and OMG it's really funy. Check out Joker's style of fighting! It really is epic win :D
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 03:56:40 AM »
No pencil trick?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »
X-Play is reporting that the DLC for Mercenaries 2, will include 2 new playable characters, Obamo and Palin.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 09:07:35 PM »
Speaking of GoW2, as I have no friends (on Xbox Live) who wants to play co-op with me? This is a once in a lifetime offer!

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 12:36:45 AM »
Haven't picked up Gears of War 2 yet. Far Cry 2, Dead Space, and Metal Gear Solid 4 are next on my "Must Buy" list.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 01:24:23 AM »
What is your Gamer id? Mine's Triple Deeee

You should check out Mirror's Edge -- the trailer looks awesome. The demo's coming out next week.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 02:42:33 AM »
So I got GoW2 today, the Special Edition and I'm burning through it on Hardcore rather quickly....which is odd in of itself.  I'm not trying to brag or anything like I'm some awesome gamer, but what I mean to say is that the game feels quite a bit easier.  Enemies drop a lot faster, and the guys that were a pain to kill in the first game, now drop with little more then a few clips of blind fire and a few straight on shots. 

There's been a few tweaks to the gameplay elements that I'm not sure I like.  Everything is smooth, looks nice, and all that, but something is off and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. 

I like the character development their giving to Dom, though I wish they would do that for all the characters in some way.  I've heard a few arguments in favor of the trend in cutting down the amount of character developments and cut scenes and so that the player isn't taken away from identifying with the character their playing or taken away from the game itself, but I may be the one person that wants more story....I'm not sure more cut scenes are the way to go, but there should be a way to include more story telling elements within the gameplay itself.

I haven't gotten into any of the multi-player yet.

So far, pretty good.  Not outstanding, but worth it.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 02:26:56 AM »
So I just finished GoW2.  I'm disappointed that it didn't last longer.  Mercenaries 2, lasted longer then this and at least Mercs has a decent replay value.  I doubt I'll go through GoW2's campaign again.  I'll probably end up selling it on Ebay.

Hopefully Farcry 2 will be better.

Offline Darkside

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »
I got MC:LA as well, I was surpised on how short the game was though =(
I also got Left 4 Dead, this is a simply brilliant game, has anyone else bothered to try it? ZOMBIES!

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »
I played the demo and really liked it.  Don't have the cash to get it right now though. :(

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 11:03:04 PM »
Left 4 Dead is brilliant and some of the most fun I've had in multi-player in months. Playing as the special infected in Versus also helps break things up, even if the only map available for Versus is No Mercy, which is getting a little old. Still, ramp up the difficulty to Expert and even the most boring map would be a hell of a lot of fun.

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 11:17:46 PM »
Yeah, listening to Greg on Skype as he plays that game has convinced me to get it as soon as possible! ;)

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 11:38:59 PM »
Left 4 Dead is brilliant and some of the most fun I've had in multi-player in months. Playing as the special infected in Versus also helps break things up, even if the only map available for Versus is No Mercy, which is getting a little old.
Huh, they must have not unlocked the other levels for Versus in Europe yet because I just got done playing a versus round on Blood Harvest.

Offline Greg

• Lord of Lava Lamp
  • Eminent Member
  • Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
Well, it says Blood Harvest is available for Versus, but I have yet to find a Versus match running on that map. I'll check later though, see if I can start a match on that map.

Offline Chemahkuu

• Distinguished Member
  • Resident Insufferable Treknobabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »
Sonic Unleashed finally arrived, although the PS2 version is the most basic and in SD its been pretty fucking amazing so far, the level of detail is great, storyline is pretty good for a Sonic game and the daytime (normal) levels finally give something akin to his true speed, as hard as that can be to control at times LOL

Star Trek: Encounters has been pleasantly surprising too, I've managed to complete up to the end of the TNG era.  The missions are more varied, the controls take a while to get used to but its a great Trek game overall.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 10:45:55 PM »
Has anyone ever play Grand Chase before? If so, what can you tell me about it?
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 06:55:02 AM »
Never even heard of it.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline NRSD Moonshadow

• Toot! Toot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »
Been Playing two games lately, Lego Star Wars Complete Saga for Wii and SOCOM Fire Team Bravo for PSP.

Lego Star Wars was given to me by my little cousin. I'll have to say, I'd never thought a game about Legos would be so fun. One of my favorite time wasters in the game is going back to the Pod Race, but choosing something odd Like a LAAT Gunship or a Tie Fighter. The animation scenes have a nice mix of staying true to the story, but adding in some of their own Humor as well. The Action can get quite intense in the Missions, and Boss Fights can get really tough at times. Also, another fun time waster is in the Overworld, which is MoS Eisely Cantina, you can start Bar Fights, which is quite hilarious.

SOCOM Was a game I bought so I won't use the PSP as a glorified iPod. After playing a few games like Call of Duty and Metal of Honor with my friends in Jacksonville, I wanted my own military game. Gotta say I'm enjoying SOCOM quite a bit. The Graphics look good, and the missions aren't just shoot whatever moves. Often you have to plant charges, or get some photographs of weapons stocks, and going in guns blazing doesn't always cut it, you can die pretty quickly that way. The Best part of the game by far is Online Play, especially when you have a headset.

Overall, SOCOM does a good job filling that void in my gaming until I can afford an XBOX 360 and a copy of Call of Duty: World at War.
Lego Star Wars proved to be a nice surprise instead of the cheesy game I thought it would be, It has dethroned Mario Kart Wii as my most often played Wii game.
In Soviet Russia, computer fix YOU!