Author Topic: General Purpose Video Game Thread  (Read 84933 times)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: General Purpose Video Game Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 03:36:48 PM »
Anyone play the HAWX demo yet?

I liked it alot. It's a great mix of Ace Combat, and GRAW.

For those of you who don't know what HAWX is about:

THE PRIVATE MILITARY COMPANIES (PMCS)
As the era of the nation-state draws toward its end, the world of warfare is evolving rapidly. New challenges demand new solutions, sometimes with unpredictable outcomes.

For many years, state-sponsored militaries have struggled to maintain and modernize their forces. Increasing budget restrictions and difficulties in recruiting skilled personnel have led many countries to seek other solutions. More and more nations now rely increasingly on Private Military Companies (PMC) – elite mercenary groups staffed with equally elite personnel - to support their field operations.

PMCs have proven to be excellent partners in respect to efficiency, skills, low prices, and reliability. They’ve been able to fulfill most of the mission normally handled by regular armies, without risking political fallout.

In time, these private military corps diversified their field of operations, from mere securing land objectives to motorized assault and counter-intelligence. It was not long before a few of these PMC secured enough resources to require being involved complete support air and sea-bound operations.

With each passing year, the PMCs expand their influence and scope of activity. Initially just consultants, they are now involved in surveillance, logistics, site security, and other essential roles. In order to keep the war machine going most of the PMC warranted firms dealing with other sources of income such as mining, oil extraction, airliners, goods manufacturing etc. Ensuring a steady flow of currency allowed these companies to operate a tighter game against their opposition. Each year, they come closer to serving as fully operational field units, and their services are so widely used they’re already essential. Pandora’s Box has been opened. There’s no getting rid of the PMCs now.

THE REYKJAVIK ACCORDS
2012: The Reykjavik Accords are ratified by 191 countries, including the US and all the major powers.

They define and limit the role of PMCs in combat, as well as their new responsibilities in terms of human rights. The right of PMC units to serve in every aspect of military operations is now officially authorized: They can be engaged in full-scale forward operations.

The guidelines set down by the accords are simple. PMCs act as international and independent entities and must be contracted by a sovereign state to enter a conflict. They cannot target civilian populations. PMC operational units have the status of official combatants, and a PMC unit must use their own equipment to fulfill their missions.

As a consequence they are now fully authorized to purchase heavy equipment on the international armaments market (fighters, attackers, armored vehicles etc.) PMC units are now real private armies officially recognized by sovereign states. The war market has been deregulated: States lift all commercial restrictions to conventional weapons exchange with PMC units, so long as they respect the Reykjavik Accords. Within the limits of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, it is now up to each nation decide whom they wish to sell to – and what they wish to sell. Most of the leading nations, including the United States, choose to sell only their older, outmoded equipment to the PMCs. A few, however, see the opportunity for quick profit, and make available even top of the line military hardware.

Turning PMC units into operational international armies is intended to decrease regional and international conflicts, better protect civilian populations and human rights, and intensify the international war on terror. PMCs are seen as the future of peace-keeping forces, and their lack of political entanglements and quick response times theoretically makes them excellent fast responders to crises and humanitarian missions.

A DARK FUTURE
During the 2012-2018 timeline, the global military power will gradually shift toward the PMCs as they grow more and more independent from their high power self-governed companies. From all the theatres of operations worldwide the South American episode was the main leverage of the PMC uprising. Near the end of 2016, before the arms threat would become obvious, the mere presence of these private companies already had a negative impact on the economy of all the sovereign states, sapping their initiative and response capabilities.

The game takes place between Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, and Endwar. It's the connecting point between those to games. It's part of Ubisoft's idea of connecting the main plots of Splinter Cell Double Agent, Ghost Recon Adanced Warfighter 1 & 2, Rainbow 6 Vegas and Rainbow 6 Vegas 2. Which are all about the cause leading up to World War III, whice is depicted in EndWar.

You play as a former USAF pilot who now works for a large PMC. When the PMC starts to attack the US itself, your character returns the US Airforce.

One thing I really liked was the Assistance. You can keep it on, and you can use the standard, 1st/Cockpit/third Person view to fly your plane. With it on, you can be more precise, but have a speed cap, and limited view of the battle. With it off, you can do amazing maneuvers, the speed cap is pretty much removed, however, it's harder to fight.

ERS helps you get into better firing position, by giving you a tunnel to fly through. It'll help you position yourself to better attack air unit, or ground units.

You can even turn all the features off, and go in with just bare bones Assistance OFF and ON.

You can even use voice commands, so you can keep your thumbs and fingers on the more important controls.

The graphics look amazing. The planes are rendered beautiful, and the ground is made using a mix of real satellite images from GeoEye, and rendered 3D objects.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »
Yeah I played it.  While the standard cockpit view felt pretty much like Ace Combat; turning off the Assistance mode gives you a whole other aspect of air combat that I don't think we've ever seen before.  I was amazed at some of the maneuvers that were capable right off the bat without much of a learning curve.  Granted it became a bit more difficult when the maneuvers became more complex, mixed in with round and air combat, but it was still very enjoyable.

On another note, I also played the Resident Evil 5 demo and wasn't really all that impressed.  Not to say that it was bad, because it wasn't, but I just didn't think it just was anything special.  Maybe the rest of the game will be more enjoyable, but the demo just didn't do anything for me.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 10:59:08 PM »
If you haven't already Jimi, i'd suggest playing Dead Space.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 12:13:17 AM »
I haven't played it yet.  It's on my 'To Get' list, but it keeps getting pushed down whenever a new game comes out....and mainly due to a lack of funds.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Alexzandyr

• Eminent Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 12:45:23 AM »
Ah. Its a great game. Beautifully put together from story, to gameplay, to the amazing environments. I got the chance to play it when I went home for winter break...it'll scare the shit out of you. I would definitely put it above getting Resident Evil 5.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 09:47:23 AM »
Fuck yeah. I'm actually surprised this is coming out, considering Bioware's track record with sequels.
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline Manticore

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »
Wait what!?  :o

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »
Fuck yeah. I'm actually surprised this is coming out, considering Bioware's track record with sequels.

Don't be surprised. EA owns Bioware now.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
I bought Street Fighter IV and Tomb Raider Underworld today.  I haven't played TR:UW yet, but I've spent some time playing SF4.  Fun game with shiny graphics.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:02:41 PM by Hobbes »
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 12:50:19 PM »
Halo Wars -- Three Day Review

I'm not really any kind of a Halo fan, so I'm not going to get into how this fits into canon and all of that.  I bought this because I like RTS games and want to support RTS games on Consoles.

That being said, it was enjoyable, albeit short.  There's maybe ten hours of game play (if that) in the campaign.  I guess you get more out of it if you run co-op and multiplayer, and there is a skirmish mode, the latter of which is always one of my favorite aspects of any RTS game.

The problem is, that there isn't really any strategy to the game.  Combined with the fact that you continually have resources shipped to your base, eliminating the need to locate and secure an actual resource on the map; more often then not you're left with a main goal of building units until you can simply overpower with brute force whatever threat is being sent against you.  There's little to no reason to try any other tactic, such as drawing away the enemies attention, or creating a multi point attack, which I'll get into a bit more in a minute.

I found that at many points in the campaign, once you're capable of Researching ODS Troops (which are launched from the ship in some sort of pod), you don't even have to worry about going back to your base to build new units or research anything new (or even really worrying about trying to protect your base.) 

You can call up the ODS troops and have them dropped where ever the action is.  This technique, combined with a few MAC Blasts from the Spirit of Fire in orbit and whatever enemy you're facing is quickly put down.

To the credit of the developers, they did manage to make a few interesting and unique levels that were a welcome change from the standard, build a base, build an army, destroy everything on the map.

For example, there is one mission that has you running around the exterior hull of the Spirit of Fire (the ship currently pictured in Xero's signature).  In one mission, you're clearing infected off the hull and in the next mission, you're attempting to repair a power core and protect the main weapon turrets.  Even in these missions, you're given more then enough resources to meet the challenge.  You can draw new units from airlocks around the ship, so you don't have to protect or manage a base.  It's an interesting change, but simply adds to the main problem of building enough units to win.

Something that's no doubt Halo specific.  In many missions, you're given a squad of three Spartans and build them on your own; however each of which is practically an army of one.  They carry some sort of insanely powerful weapon that can kill troops in one shot and are capable hijacking vehicles...also they seem to be incapable of death...

So after saying all of that, I still enjoyed it.  There aren't enough RTS games on the 360, and hopefully this one will finally prove that it can be done, and done well.  The controls are easy and straightforward, even with a few glaring omissions, such as being able to assign a group of units to a group.  This makes multitasking with your army very difficult.  You end up fighting most battles as a single group, hitting one place at once, rather then being able to come at them from a number of different points.

The game looks great though.  The cut scenes are well done, voice acting is superb and the story was interesting.  And the Spirit of Fire is one bad ass ship.

I'm hoping that there might be some DLC for this, other then new multiplayer maps, I doubt it though.

I'm not sure I would recommend it though.  Not unless you're either a die hard Halo fan and have to have everything Halo related, or if you really need to play an RTS on the 360.  Either way, wait a few months till the price comes down and buy it used.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 02:40:42 PM »
The game shoehorns pretty well into the Halo mythos.  It turns humanities first introduction to the Flood, and Forerunner technology, on it's head.

There's some nice references to the other Halo games (the Pillar of Autumn), and even a reference to one of the books (the Spartans mention Samuel. Sam was the first Spartan ever killed in combat, and the first to fall to the Covenant).

Jimi, I suggest you read the books, they fill in alot of the backstory. Like the origin of the the Spatrans. How Keyes became captain of the Pillar of Autumn. How the war started. Even the immediate aftermath of the First Battle of Earth, from Halo 2. Plus other little questions.

I really want new books soon. I want to know the fate of Grey Team, John-117, and the Spirit of Fire. I want to know how Blue Team gets out if it's problem on Onyx.

There will be DLC. The company that was formed by former Ensamble employees, said they'll be handling future updates, tech issues, and DLC.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:42:32 PM by Xero »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 03:33:59 PM »
I've played the first Halo, so I caught a few of the references.

Glad to know there will be some DLC.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »
DLC?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 04:29:14 PM »
Downloadable Content

Offline Talon Lardner

• Just wants to chill
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »
I'm debating snagging Fallout 3 on the cheap thanks to Amazon. I've dabbled on the 360 verson at a friend's place, and it seems quite interesting, but the PC's modding capability will swing me to that platform.

Anyone here into racing games, out of curiosity? I'm a big Forza Motorsport fan, and am hoping that the rumors that Forza 3 will be out by Christmas.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:31 PM »
I'm not really into racing games, but Forza is one hell of a game. If there's a third one on the way, then I'll be happy.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2009, 05:55:17 PM »
Burnout is about as serious into driving games as I like to get.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »
The new Fallout 3 DLC: The Pitt is finally up on the 360.  Apparently there was some trouble with the upload being corrupted yesterday when it was originally released.  I'm downloading it now.  I have to say that I was on the fence before as to whether Fallout 3 or Mass Effect was my favorite action RGP shooter, but seeing as how they continue to release new content for Fallout 3 and they still have more planned, I definitely have to side with Fallout.  Not to knock Mass Effect because it remains an amazing game and I expect great things from the squeal, but the amount of gameplay with Fallout and their commitment to extend the life of life, puts it far ahead of the competition.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 12:51:41 PM »
Wow, Metal Gear is coming to the 360...

And that whole 'controller less' interactive deal....if that can deliver as much as they're promising, that's going to stomp all over the Wii.  Granted, the games looked very my like those Wii sports games, but having no controller at all and being able to navigate the entire dashboard with hand gestures, combined with face and voice recognition is a huge step up.

No doubt there will be lots of games that share the same graphics as the avatar, but once developers get a hold of it, it would be awesome to see something like Gears of War being played with hand gestures.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:08:38 PM by Jimi James »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2009, 03:23:01 PM »
Metal Gear Solid 4?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »
Metal Gear Solid Rising. 

A brand new game, without Snake.  Someone named Raiden is the main character....not having played any of the Metal Gear games, I'm not sure who that is.

They just showed a new Mass Effect 2 trailer that looked amazing.

ETA:

Mass Effect 2 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIpIgisDxo8
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:40:11 PM by Jimi James »

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2009, 03:37:32 PM »
Any word on a release date for this?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2009, 03:42:49 PM »
Metal Gear Solid Rising. 

A brand new game, without Snake.  Someone named Raiden is the main character....not having played any of the Metal Gear games, I'm not sure who that is.

Raiden was the main character from Metal Gear Solid 2 (well, Snake was in MGS2 but you played him for all of 10% of the game, if that...), and also appeared in MGS4.  From the artwork, I'd guess it takes place sometime before MGS4 shortly after Raiden became a cyborg ninja.  IGN has a page about it in the PS3 section so it might be a dual console release (I hope it is, because I don't feel like buying a 360).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:58:00 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2009, 03:44:03 PM »
Any word on a release date for this?

I didn't here a firm date, but Amazon has it listed as 1/30/10 for the 360 & 12/31/09 for the PC.